Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I would be ok with say Evans for Puljujarvi straight up or something like that

My guess is they would want more than that. Not a lot but a bit.  Maybe Evans + Hudon.  Or Hudon + 3rd or something.

id be willing to take that risk with any of our non- starting roster assuming they are not one of our top 10 prospects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

marc olivier beaudoin, who has broken some info in the past before other sources, says the habs have shown interest in Jesse Puljujarvi 


No information on what the cost would be but the idea is that he has said he wants to go somewhere where he has a real opportunity to play top 6 wing - and we have that open spot at RW behind gallagher.  

 

We may be interested, but would he be okay with coming here? I saw reports a couple of months ago that he had told teams he would not go to another Canadian market and that he wanted to play in the States. Also not sure if he's a top 6 winger here... Drouin, Gallagher, and Tatar all easily ahead of him, Suzuki in house already could steal a spot, and not convinced CJ will give a youngster ice time ahead of someone like Byron as well. I think if he did come here, he'd be on the 3rd line with JK and one of Lehkonen or Armia... not a bad thing for us, just maybe not what he envisions as a destination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marc Olivier Beaudoin also tweeted that Cole Caulfield enjoyed his time at Habs camp and if the team asked him to forego University hockey, he would instantly turn pro to have a shot at making the Habs this year. However, Beaudoin says the Habs preference is for the kid to play a year of College before turning pro. Have to keep in mind that they might see Poehling and Suzuki as both having a better shot at making the team this season and don't want to have 3 rookies battling for top 9 ice time. Then again, next year, Jesse Ylonen is rumored to be interested in making the jump from Europe to North America, and he's largely underrated in our prospect pool. He could also be a top 6-9 player too.

Along the same lines, Dans Les Coulisses reporting that someone captured a still shot from video at the draft which appears to show TT's clipboard and the Habs' draft board. This is the link they put up:

https://imgur.com/kkxhioR

You can see for sure that Hughes, Kakko, Zegras, and Byram are their top 4, which makes a lot of sense. Hughes and Kakko were the consensus top 2 and I really think Zegras will be the steal of the draft, as I said on draft day. Byram obviously fills a huge niche here as a potential top-pairing LHD. Turcotte looks like he's #5 on the list, and then the rest is a bit blurry, but Dach seems to be #9 and Caulfield #10. So that would suggest the Habs feel they got a top 10 prospect at 15, thus explaining their reluctance to trade out of that spot (rumored that they were offered #17 and a 3rd rounder to drop two spots)...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Marc Olivier Beaudoin also tweeted that Cole Caulfield enjoyed his time at Habs camp and if the team asked him to forego University hockey, he would instantly turn pro to have a shot at making the Habs this year. However, Beaudoin says the Habs preference is for the kid to play a year of College before turning pro. Have to keep in mind that they might see Poehling and Suzuki as both having a better shot at making the team this season and don't want to have 3 rookies battling for top 9 ice time. Then again, next year, Jesse Ylonen is rumored to be interested in making the jump from Europe to North America, and he's largely underrated in our prospect pool. He could also be a top 6-9 player too.

Along the same lines, Dans Les Coulisses reporting that someone captured a still shot from video at the draft which appears to show TT's clipboard and the Habs' draft board. This is the link they put up:

https://imgur.com/kkxhioR

You can see for sure that Hughes, Kakko, Zegras, and Byram are their top 4, which makes a lot of sense. Hughes and Kakko were the consensus top 2 and I really think Zegras will be the steal of the draft, as I said on draft day. Byram obviously fills a huge niche here as a potential top-pairing LHD. Turcotte looks like he's #5 on the list, and then the rest is a bit blurry, but Dach seems to be #9 and Caulfield #10. So that would suggest the Habs feel they got a top 10 prospect at 15, thus explaining their reluctance to trade out of that spot (rumored that they were offered #17 and a 3rd rounder to drop two spots)...

I would be ok with the Habs signing Caufield now and giving him a shot at a 10 game stint then sending him to Laval if he struggles. I don't think there is much difference between playing in Laval or playing college hockey. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I would be ok with the Habs signing Caufield now and giving him a shot at a 10 game stint then sending him to Laval if he struggles. I don't think there is much difference between playing in Laval or playing college hockey. 

Laval is not an option. Even though he played on the US national team last year the Soo Greyhounds hold his rights.

So his options are:

NHL
NCAA
OHL 

cant play AHL yet.  If he's not ready for the NHL then the NCAA team would be a much better challenge for him than lighting it up against the OHL guys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Laval is not an option. Even though he played on the US national team last year the Soo Greyhounds hold his rights.

So his options are:

NHL
NCAA
OHL 

cant play AHL yet.  If he's not ready for the NHL then the NCAA team would be a much better challenge for him than lighting it up against the OHL guys. 

Check out option 4 in the article below

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prospects/2019/6/28/18761421/cole-caufield-2020-21-ncaa-wisconsin-laval-rocket-ahl-montreal-canadiens-contract-options

it says Laval is an option

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

My mistake, I didnt realize there was a Loophole, was always under the impression that if an OHL/CHL team held a player's rights they could not play in the AHL until they were the correct age. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

My mistake, I didnt realize there was a Loophole, was always under the impression that if an OHL/CHL team held a player's rights they could not play in the AHL until they were the correct age. 

I think the loophole only applies as long as he plays fewer than 9 NHL games though. I don't think they can play him for 9 at the start of the season then call him up cause of injuries and send him back down. I think in that case he would have to report to the CHL. If I am understanding the article correctly LOL 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I think the loophole only applies as long as he plays fewer than 9 NHL games though. I don't think they can play him for 9 at the start of the season then call him up cause of injuries and send him back down. I think in that case he would have to report to the CHL. If I am understanding the article correctly LOL 

Yeah not sure. I think its probably moot though.

I am pretty sure they (the habs) arent even entertaining bringing him to Laval. I think they like the UW program & are ok with him going there.  With Poehling and Suzuki vying for spots its highly unlikely Caufield would even get a sniff (even though he's a more pure goal scorer) in the NHL so I suspect the team is 99% committed to him going to UW

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah not sure. I think its probably moot though.

I am pretty sure they (the habs) arent even entertaining bringing him to Laval. I think they like the UW program & are ok with him going there.  With Poehling and Suzuki vying for spots its highly unlikely Caufield would even get a sniff (even though he's a more pure goal scorer) in the NHL so I suspect the team is 99% committed to him going to UW

 

Probably, I think they can also sign him to an ELC at any point as well so if he shows signs that he can play against the men in that league without any drop off then they can sign him and give him a shot not sure though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

My mistake, I didnt realize there was a Loophole, was always under the impression that if an OHL/CHL team held a player's rights they could not play in the AHL until they were the correct age. 

 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I think the loophole only applies as long as he plays fewer than 9 NHL games though. I don't think they can play him for 9 at the start of the season then call him up cause of injuries and send him back down. I think in that case he would have to report to the CHL. If I am understanding the article correctly LOL 

This isn't so much of a loophole, it's just the rules... here's the back story to it. The NHL entry draft used to be for 20-year olds. When the year of eligibility was lowered to 18 from 20, the NHL and CHL reached a compromise: in exchange for allowing 18 year-olds to be drafted out of their league, the CHL retained exclusive rights to hold onto their players until they turned 20 unless they were actually playing in the NHL. So if 18 year-old Nick Suzuki gets drafted, he can go play for his NHL team, but if he doesn't make the cut, he can't go to the AHL at the CHL's expense. His non-NHL rights until he's 20 remain with the CHL.

However, these rules only apply to players who have played in the CHL because that's the deal that was struck. So players coming from Europe (like Lehkonen or Ylonen or Romanov) or US developmental leagues (Poehling or Caulfield) aren't subject to this same rule. Caulfield's CHL rights were drafted by Sault Ste-Marie, but he hasn't actually signed a contract or played a game with them. If he went and played for them this year, then yes we'd be stuck with the same situation as with Suzuki or so on and have to wait until the season he turns 20 to be able to have the AHL as an option. But even if he was drafted in the OHL, Caulfield has never played there and he thus gets treated as an American collegiate pick. That means that we absolutely have the option of signing him and sending him to the AHL for the entire season.

What's the 9-game limit point then? That doesn't pertain to his AHL eligibility, it pertains to his ELC and whether it slides or not. When a player signs his ELC but starts playing when he's 18, it only takes effect if he plays in over 9 NHL games. If Caulfield were to start the year with the Habs but only play in 6 games, say, then he could be sent to the AHL and his contract wouldn't count against our 50-contract team limit nor would his ELC start either. Instead, this would slide one year and the first year of his contract would start the year after. But no, the number of NHL games Caulfield plays wouldn't change his AHL eligiblity. If he plays 23 or 56 games for us, he could still be sent down to the AHL. It would just mean that his contract still counts against our limit and that his ELC kicks in this season already.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 

This isn't so much of a loophole, it's just the rules... here's the back story to it. The NHL entry draft used to be for 20-year olds. When the year of eligibility was lowered to 18 from 20, the NHL and CHL reached a compromise: in exchange for allowing 18 year-olds to be drafted out of their league, the CHL retained exclusive rights to hold onto their players until they turned 20 unless they were actually playing in the NHL. So if 18 year-old Nick Suzuki gets drafted, he can go play for his NHL team, but if he doesn't make the cut, he can't go to the AHL at the CHL's expense. His non-NHL rights until he's 20 remain with the CHL.

However, these rules only apply to players who have played in the CHL because that's the deal that was struck. So players coming from Europe (like Lehkonen or Ylonen or Romanov) or US developmental leagues (Poehling or Caulfield) aren't subject to this same rule. Caulfield's CHL rights were drafted by Sault Ste-Marie, but he hasn't actually signed a contract or played a game with them. If he went and played for them this year, then yes we'd be stuck with the same situation as with Suzuki or so on and have to wait until the season he turns 20 to be able to have the AHL as an option. But even if he was drafted in the OHL, Caulfield has never played there and he thus gets treated as an American collegiate pick. That means that we absolutely have the option of signing him and sending him to the AHL for the entire season.

What's the 9-game limit point then? That doesn't pertain to his AHL eligibility, it pertains to his ELC and whether it slides or not. When a player signs his ELC but starts playing when he's 18, it only takes effect if he plays in over 9 NHL games. If Caulfield were to start the year with the Habs but only play in 6 games, say, then he could be sent to the AHL and his contract wouldn't count against our 50-contract team limit nor would his ELC start either. Instead, this would slide one year and the first year of his contract would start the year after. But no, the number of NHL games Caulfield plays wouldn't change his AHL eligiblity. If he plays 23 or 56 games for us, he could still be sent down to the AHL. It would just mean that his contract still counts against our limit and that his ELC kicks in this season already.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Totally thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

News coming out of Edmonton is that the ask for JP is a prospect who has top 9 potential and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.


Im not sure if Hudon still classifies as a prospect but id do Hudon + 3rd.

 

Obviously im not even considering Suzuki, Poehling, Caufield etc, but I might consider Evans or Vejdemo + pick if they were interested. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

News coming out of Edmonton is that the ask for JP is a prospect who has top 9 potential and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.


Im not sure if Hudon still classifies as a prospect but id do Hudon + 3rd.

 

Obviously im not even considering Suzuki, Poehling, Caufield etc, but I might consider Evans or Vejdemo + pick if they were interested. 

Agree with this but not sure if JP fills a need honestly. Especially if Suzuki makes the team and with Granato saying Caufield just has to mature physically to be NHL ready it makes less sense to go after JP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Agree with this but not sure if JP fills a need honestly. Especially if Suzuki makes the team and with Granato saying Caufield just has to mature physically to be NHL ready it makes less sense to go after JP. 

Here is the article about Caufiled from Granato for anyone interested 

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/tony-granato-cole-caufields-understanding-of-the-game-is-nhl-level/c-308691048

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Agree with this but not sure if JP fills a need honestly. Especially if Suzuki makes the team and with Granato saying Caufield just has to mature physically to be NHL ready it makes less sense to go after JP. 

If our scouts feel like JP just needs a change of scenery & he can be had for Hudon & a 3rd I think you take it, regardless of what else is going on with the roster.  If you have too many good wingers, you trade someone.

The other intriguing thing about puljujarvi is that he's apparently very close to Laine.  If we were actually trying to swing a deal for Laine, this could be a bonus- then again -  do either of them play LW as well as RW? If you had both of them and Gallagher... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If our scouts feel like JP just needs a change of scenery & he can be had for Hudon & a 3rd I think you take it, regardless of what else is going on with the roster.  If you have too many good wingers, you trade someone.

The other intriguing thing about puljujarvi is that he's apparently very close to Laine.  If we were actually trying to swing a deal for Laine, this could be a bonus- then again -  do either of them play LW as well as RW? If you had both of them and Gallagher... 

Yeah I suppose with certain players and prospects that you take them and figure out later where everyone fits. I guess JP would fit into that category. Could you imagine if we did get both Laine and UP we would have one amazing Finnish line LMAO 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If our scouts feel like JP just needs a change of scenery & he can be had for Hudon & a 3rd I think you take it, regardless of what else is going on with the roster.  If you have too many good wingers, you trade someone.

The other intriguing thing about puljujarvi is that he's apparently very close to Laine.  If we were actually trying to swing a deal for Laine, this could be a bonus- then again -  do either of them play LW as well as RW? If you had both of them and Gallagher... 

FYI Laine is listed on cap friendly as LW, RW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

If our scouts feel like JP just needs a change of scenery & he can be had for Hudon & a 3rd I think you take it, regardless of what else is going on with the roster.  If you have too many good wingers, you trade someone.

The other intriguing thing about puljujarvi is that he's apparently very close to Laine.  If we were actually trying to swing a deal for Laine, this could be a bonus- then again -  do either of them play LW as well as RW? If you had both of them and Gallagher... 

You can never have enough D-men.......wingers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, habs1952 said:

You can never have enough D-men.......wingers.

Quality and Quantity vs just Quantity.   

Id happily have an abundance - at any position - of quality players.  Look at Philly. They have (arguably) 3 top pairing LD.  They can trade one of them to fill a spot elsewhere in their roster.

The problem with MB is that he keeps piling up depth players.   Sure we have like 9-10 NHL quality defensmen but most of them are 3rd pairing guys.  If the staff believes puljujarvi is a true top 6 winger in need of a change then I think you take that deal.  If he's just going to be another charles hudon then you dont, no matter the price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eklund is saying "His Sourses" are telling him Montreal is getting serious about a Laine for Domi trade. Personally I hope not cause Domi brings passion that Laine lacks and with Caufield arriving in a year or so I don't see a glaring need for Laine especially if the cost is Domi. But that's just my opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...