The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Eklund is saying "His Sourses" are telling him Montreal is getting serious about a Laine for Domi trade. Personally I hope not cause Domi brings passion that Laine lacks and with Caufield arriving in a year or so I don't see a glaring need for Laine especially if the cost is Domi. But that's just my opinion

Domi IMO is a much more valuable player. He plays hard and he plays the whole rink. Laine was in the dog house last year because he's to much of a one way player. Not surprising that Laine is the one with more trade rumors than Connor which the Jets need to sign also. I really believe with the right players that Domi is just going to continue to get better and most of all make players around him better. Laine is going to be demanding a big contract and then when he's not scoring it'll be like with Drouin the fans will be on him worse because of the cost. I know some of the argument is going to be JK, Poehling, Suzuki coming along but Domi is the type of player like Gallagher that teammates want to play for and with. Also I can't see Jullien loving a player that's not a 200' player. I wouldn't mind adding Laine but I'm not giving up Domi for him.

28 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Domi IMO is a much more valuable player. He plays hard and he plays the whole rink. Laine was in the dog house last year because he's to much of a one way player. Not surprising that Laine is the one with more trade rumors than Connor which the Jets need to sign also. I really believe with the right players that Domi is just going to continue to get better and most of all make players around him better. Laine is going to be demanding a big contract and then when he's not scoring it'll be like with Drouin the fans will be on him worse because of the cost. I know some of the argument is going to be JK, Poehling, Suzuki coming along but Domi is the type of player like Gallagher that teammates want to play for and with. Also I can't see Jullien loving a player that's not a 200' player. I wouldn't mind adding Laine but I'm not giving up Domi for him.

Exactly my sentiments

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Eklund is saying "His Sourses" are telling him Montreal is getting serious about a Laine for Domi trade. Personally I hope not cause Domi brings passion that Laine lacks and with Caufield arriving in a year or so I don't see a glaring need for Laine especially if the cost is Domi. But that's just my opinion

Yeah, if their ask is Domi and that's their last word then thanks but no thanks.

I'd be open to talk roster player(s) + pick(s) but not Domi straight up. Laine is an amazing goalscorer but he's probably the very definition of a one-dimensional player and that's just not going to work out with Julien, it's a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

31 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, if their ask is Domi and that's their last word then thanks but no thanks.

I'd be open to talk roster player(s) + pick(s) but not Domi straight up. Laine is an amazing goalscorer but he's probably the very definition of a one-dimensional player and that's just not going to work out with Julien, it's a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Yup, players like Domi don't come along very often, and when they do, you had better keep them. He's only going to get better. 

19 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Agreed. If there's a trade to be had, the players we have whom I'd list as being more valuable to us than Laine would be

- Price

- Weber

- Petry

- Domi

- Kotkaniemi

- Gallagher

If Wpg wants to talk trade around Laine for Drouin, sure. If they want to talk about Tatar or Poehling or Suzuki or Lehkonen as part of a deal, then sure. But I don't think we can trade any of those 6 guys above in any deal or the trade would make us worse (or leave us with another giant hole that would be even harder to fill).

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed. If there's a trade to be had, the players we have whom I'd list as being more valuable to us than Laine would be

- Price

- Weber

- Petry

- Domi

- Kotkaniemi

- Gallagher

If Wpg wants to talk trade around Laine for Drouin, sure. If they want to talk about Tatar or Poehling or Suzuki or Lehkonen as part of a deal, then sure. But I don't think we can trade any of those 6 guys above in any deal or the trade would make us worse (or leave us with another giant hole that would be even harder to fill).

If there was an interest in trading Laine, wouldn't they be looking for some defense-men? That said, there were some who not too long ago were suggesting trading either Price or Weber could bring something of significant value for the near future. I think MB would have to seriously consider that option with what some consider soon to be replacements in the pipeline... specifically right defense. At 21, Laine still has time to improve his overall game.

First off I do not believe this trade will ever happen. But the reasons that it could are this. 

Winnipeg is a very small market with great fans, getting a ticket is very difficult. Lot of the season tickets are held by groups of people and a draft chooses which games you get. 

Back in the day Tie Domi was a  fan favorite and none were happy when he was traded. If you are going to move Laine you have to get some one back who the fans would be okay with.. Max would  be one guy who could pull that off. Only other player would be Price on the Habs.

Sure this is just a sports writer that created this,no truth to it.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:07 PM, CaptWelly said:

Gotta agree with you. The last thing we need is to be looking for a #1 center and a #1 left D.

On 9/1/2019 at 2:59 PM, BigTed3 said:

- Price

- Weber

- Petry

- Domi

- Kotkaniemi

- Gallagher

Yeah Laine is a tough one because i feel like there's a chance he's Ovechkin's heir apparent. 110 goals in 237 games (including a 44 goal season) as a 21 year old? Wow.

But we have to look big-picture.   Id have zero interest in Laine for Domi 1 for 1. Likewise the players you listed.

My guess, if we're indeed in talks with Winnipeg, is that they want either Domi or JK - or - they want one of our top prospects (Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield +).  Its a tough call. Laine is young - and - proven...but he's no longer great value like all our ELC guys coming along.   

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah Laine is a tough one because i feel like there's a chance he's Ovechkin's heir apparent. 110 goals in 237 games (including a 44 goal season) as a 21 year old? Wow.

But we have to look big-picture.   Id have zero interest in Laine for Domi 1 for 1. Likewise the players you listed.

My guess, if we're indeed in talks with Winnipeg, is that they want either Domi or JK - or - they want one of our top prospects (Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield +).  Its a tough call. Laine is young - and - proven...but he's no longer great value like all our ELC guys coming along.   

I agree with this, Laine is a great goal scorer but would cost too much two fold as we would first need to trade for his rights then sign him to a contract probably in the 8-10 mil range. We already have Caufield who is maybe 1-2 years away KK said he would like to start shooting more and being more selfish to earn more time and if we can get Drouin back on track we shouldn't need Laine's scoring as much and if we can continue to score by committee we should be in great shape. That said he would still look great on the roster, but giving up what it would take to acquire and sign him may not be worth it IMO.

According to Eric Engels (Who rarely says this stuff without actual sources)  we have talked with Jason Pominiville.  Its unclear if its about an actual deal, or a PTO. 

He's old, yes. (26) but he had 16g and 15a last year so he's not the worst option for the 4th line, although we do need to make sure if we have young guys ready to play, there is room for them. 

Elliotte Friedman (on Tim and Sid) said he believes that Bergevin may actually be considering another offer sheet (or the threat of one) - BUT - he may well be waiting for the closing window teams have to be 10% over the cap ceiling. 

So for example, offer sheets in the summer are pretty much always matched - teams have cap room (or can go over by 10%) and then they "figure it out later" but when the season starts you cant be over the cap and you (presumably) have your roster set/salaries dolled out. 

So if a team has only say, $7m in cap space left and MB offers a contract to their star for $9m it would be fairly difficult for them to match.     Alternately, he could threaten to put in an offer, and try to work out a trade for that player.

On the flip side, this could be quite disruptive for the team & I think the chance of it happening is quite unlikely but I still wouldnt be surprised if we have one or two major roster changes before the puck drops in October. 

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Elliotte Friedman (on Tim and Sid) said he believes that Bergevin may actually be considering another offer sheet (or the threat of one) - BUT - he may well be waiting for the closing window teams have to be 10% over the cap ceiling. 

So for example, offer sheets in the summer are pretty much always matched - teams have cap room (or can go over by 10%) and then they "figure it out later" but when the season starts you cant be over the cap and you (presumably) have your roster set/salaries dolled out. 

So if a team has only say, $7m in cap space left and MB offers a contract to their star for $9m it would be fairly difficult for them to match.     Alternately, he could threaten to put in an offer, and try to work out a trade for that player.

On the flip side, this could be quite disruptive for the team & I think the chance of it happening is quite unlikely but I still wouldnt be surprised if we have one or two major roster changes before the puck drops in October. 

I actually like this strategy however for it to work we would need to clear some space. Maybe you trade Peca, Weise and someone else for picks then flip Alzner with say 25%-50% retained salary for a 7th. Either way your going to need space yourself.

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I actually like this strategy however for it to work we would need to clear some space. Maybe you trade Peca, Weise and someone else for picks then flip Alzner with say 25%-50% retained salary for a 7th. Either way your going to need space yourself.

Im guessing that a lot will hinge on training camp.

Right now we have a little over $4m in cap space but I think its pretty obvious we'll save at least a couple of million with Alzner and Weise going down.    We cant bury everyone because of the vet roster limits in Laval (plus we only save roughly $1m for every high priced contract we send down) but i suspect there will be other guys traded or sent down.

What i find compelling is that because of the Aho OS MB has some credibility when he says "im going to put in an offer for your player, so lets talk about a deal"

Should be an interesting month or so. Will MB do anything?  We shall see... 

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Not if they trade a couple of players for just picks. 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

It sounds easy doesn't it? However once the season starts they would have to trade players with contracts totaling 4 mil so they can resign the player to the 9 mil contract make up the extra 2 mil cap hit and fill out the hole or holes left by the trades. It can be done but your options are really limited to 1 player on a  3 or 4 mil contract or 2 on 1.5-2 mil contracts those players are probably off the 2nd or 3rd line not recommended but depending on what your losing it may really be your only choice.

14 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Easier said than done when most teams have full rosters.

Im not saying you put yourself in a "cant fail" situation, but i think your chances of actually getting an offer sheet to work would come after the 10% overage allowance is lifted. 

I actually dont think MB will tender another offer but i do think that he may use it as a threat to a team that has an RFA and is close the cap.  It would give you at least a little more leverage in a trade. 

37 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Easier said than done when most teams have full rosters.

Im not saying you put yourself in a "cant fail" situation, but i think your chances of actually getting an offer sheet to work would come after the 10% overage allowance is lifted. 

I actually dont think MB will tender another offer but i do think that he may use it as a threat to a team that has an RFA and is close the cap.  It would give you at least a little more leverage in a trade. 

There are 3 teams that I figure are the most vulnerable once the season starts and the 10% disappears, they are: Calgary with Tkachuk and Mangiapane, Pittsburgh with Petterson, NY Rangers with Lemieux and Deangelo, Dallas with Honka, Edmonton with Puljujarvi Vancouver with Beosser and Goldobin and Winnipeg with Laine and Conner. on the edge of possibly not being able to match are Philadelphia with Provolov and Konecny, Boston with Carlo and McAvoy (McAvoy is not offer sheet eligible though)

Given the choices there are a few I would go after and some harder than others Philly likely matches on both their players so they are out. Tkachuk, Laine, and Petterson would be hard for their teams to match so those are the 3 I would try.

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

There are 3 teams that I figure are the most vulnerable once the season starts and the 10% disappears, they are: Calgary with Tkachuk and Mangiapane, Pittsburgh with Petterson, NY Rangers with Lemieux and Deangelo, Dallas with Honka, Edmonton with Puljujarvi Vancouver with Beosser and Goldobin and Winnipeg with Laine and Conner. on the edge of possibly not being able to match are Philadelphia with Provolov and Konecny, Boston with Carlo and McAvoy (McAvoy is not offer sheet eligible though)

Given the choices there are a few I would go after and some harder than others Philly likely matches on both their players so they are out. Tkachuk, Laine, and Petterson would be hard for their teams to match so those are the 3 I would try.

Agree.  And like i said, i dont think that MB will necessarily offer sheet anyone but i think there's now a (credible) threat of him doing one, which has to help if he's negotiating with one of those teams. Even if he's not necessarily targeting their RFA.   In philly for example, maybe he targets Sanheim so they have more room to sign Konecny. That sort of thing. I just cannot believe he thinks this roster doesnt need help. I know he's surprised us before with his inability to make moves but last year he seemed to turn a new leaf.  He identified problems & tried to find solutions.  He has to see there's still a gaping hole at #1LD and PP quarterback. 

17 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agree.  And like i said, i dont think that MB will necessarily offer sheet anyone but i think there's now a (credible) threat of him doing one, which has to help if he's negotiating with one of those teams. Even if he's not necessarily targeting their RFA.   In philly for example, maybe he targets Sanheim so they have more room to sign Konecny. That sort of thing. I just cannot believe he thinks this roster doesnt need help. I know he's surprised us before with his inability to make moves but last year he seemed to turn a new leaf.  He identified problems & tried to find solutions.  He has to see there's still a gaping hole at #1LD and PP quarterback. 

One thing that Bergevin sticks to is his reluctance to sell any important piece of the farm unless  getting something back ( with term or as an RFA )who can play immediately and contribute ..that being said he'll be willing to send 2nd or 3rd draft picks the other way next year plus a roster player not considered "core "  and a prospect not labelled "can't miss " ..   ...Pomminville is out and Gardiner has an iffy back ...the other free agents at the top will be signed by their teams so this only leaves trades with cap strapped teams ...perhaps there's a gem available but I'm having a hard time finding him from here ...this team might stay the same as it is now until something else magically opens up ...

David Pagnotta of the 4th Period reporting today that at least 4 teams have made offers to Jake Gardiner & that the habs are one of them.

Take it for what you will, I think Pagnotta is like 1 step more reliable than Eklund, but he does seem to have at least some credible sources.   The belief is that Gardiner really wants to go back to Toronto so he's just been waiting and waiting to see what happens with Marner & that maybe now he feels like he cant wait any longer. 

Dunno.  At least we should have some answers on RFAs out there (and maybe some subsequent trades) in the next few weeks... 

• H_T_L locked this topic