The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't think I'd make that Winnipeg trade... Drouin, Cale Fleury, and a 2020 first rounder. No thanks. Laine hasn't exactly been a phenom since coming into the league. He had fewer points than Drouin did last season.

17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Hrm.  I would tend to disagree with your assessment of Laine. He has 36, 44, 30 goal seasons and he just turned 21.  Thats kind of the definition of phenom... 110 goals in his first 237 NHL games, all but a few before his 21 birthday... He may well be the best goal scorer in the league within a couple of years.  

If the price is only Drouin, Fleury and 1st? I do it for sure.  Laine more than makes up for the loss of drouin, Fleury, while I really like him, is projecting as a #4-6 dman and a 1st is always a gamble. 

Laine should theoretically solve some of our scoring woes and help fix our PP in a major way as we'd no longer only have one weapon (Weber) and teams would have trouble defending against both big shots.   Th e big knock on Laine is that he's one dimensional. He's a goal scorer and thats it. I buy that.  But so are most goal scorers.  The off-years for ovechkin have been bad to watch but thats life.  Id still want him on my team. 

Honestly though, i think Winnipeg would be pushing hard for Domi, JK or Suzuki and im not interested in giving up any of those 3 for Laine

Yeah, those 110 goals during Laine's entry-level years put him in absolute elite company, I mean we're talking McDavid, Matthews, Tavares territory here (not trying to compare Laine to those guys, just talking about goal totals).

If Laine were available for Drouin, Fleury, and a first-rounder, I'd do it without thinking twice. As you've said, Laine essentially replaces Drouin straight up (he's an upgrade IMO) while adding a completely new dimension to our PP. Drouin may have the better toolset in general (minus the shot), but they're both one-dimensional in a sense that they're not adding much when they aren't scoring.

It's fun to dream but I agree, any discussion surrounding Laine probably starts with Domi, Kotkaniemi, or Suzuki, and I'd be really reluctant to deal any of those guys at this point.

17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Hrm.  I would tend to disagree with your assessment of Laine. He has 36, 44, 30 goal seasons and he just turned 21.  Thats kind of the definition of phenom... 110 goals in his first 237 NHL games, all but a few before his 21 birthday... He may well be the best goal scorer in the league within a couple of years.  

If the price is only Drouin, Fleury and 1st? I do it for sure.  Laine more than makes up for the loss of drouin, Fleury, while I really like him, is projecting as a #4-6 dman and a 1st is always a gamble. 

Laine should theoretically solve some of our scoring woes and help fix our PP in a major way as we'd no longer only have one weapon (Weber) and teams would have trouble defending against both big shots.   Th e big knock on Laine is that he's one dimensional. He's a goal scorer and thats it. I buy that.  But so are most goal scorers.  The off-years for ovechkin have been bad to watch but thats life.  Id still want him on my team. 

Honestly though, i think Winnipeg would be pushing hard for Domi, JK or Suzuki and im not interested in giving up any of those 3 for Laine

If the price for Laine was Drouin, Fleury and a 2nd I don't hesitate to pull the trigger.      If it includes a 1st instead I might hesitate.      Drouin was 4th overall, Laine 2nd ... their "potential" was supposed to be similar.   Drouin has struggled to put it all together at the NHL level and Laine had a year where he struggled all year ... his 30 goals, lowest of his 3 seasons ... the bulk of which were scored in a single month (something like 20 of them).  I'd want Laine ... but 2 players + 1st is a bit high.

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Eric Engels and MO Beaudoin both confirm they have heard from people around the league that Habs have put Drouin's name on trade block for the right price.

Im curious what MB believes is the right price.  Is he looking for a scorer (we've heard so much about Laine and of course Aho) or is he after a LHD.  

Curious to see what, if anything, comes of this.   

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Im curious what MB believes is the right price.  Is he looking for a scorer (we've heard so much about Laine and of course Aho) or is he after a LHD.  

The rumors, if you believe them, is that it's Claude Julien who is fed up with Drouin and his lack of work ethic, and that MB is trying to accommodate Julien by finding a deal. The reports suggest Drouin doesn't want out of Montreal and hasn't requested a trade. When asked about it today, MB said those rumors must all be coming from a basement in Toronto... guessing where there's smoke there's fire though, and I'm on record from a month or so ago stating that Drouin would be traded if not this year then next off-season. I don't think he's got more than one season left here in Montreal and his welcome is wearing thin. He's already been "demoted" to the 3rd line in favor of Lehkonen (hardly a star) and Suzuki (a rookie), so that just about tells you what you need to know.

I guess he'd be looking for a scorer. I believe Bergevin believes he's solved the crisis at LD by signing Chiarot. Far from the truth, but all that matters is what Bergevin believes. If we trade Drouin, we need to replace those 53 points somewhere. I don't think Suzuki is going to do it.

48 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The rumors, if you believe them, is that it's Claude Julien who is fed up with Drouin and his lack of work ethic, and that MB is trying to accommodate Julien by finding a deal. The reports suggest Drouin doesn't want out of Montreal and hasn't requested a trade. When asked about it today, MB said those rumors must all be coming from a basement in Toronto... guessing where there's smoke there's fire though, and I'm on record from a month or so ago stating that Drouin would be traded if not this year then next off-season. I don't think he's got more than one season left here in Montreal and his welcome is wearing thin. He's already been "demoted" to the 3rd line in favor of Lehkonen (hardly a star) and Suzuki (a rookie), so that just about tells you what you need to know.

That makes a certain amount of sense. I could see Claude not wanting JD on his team.    I also agree that where there's smoke....   Engels is usually pretty reliable about such things. 

45 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I guess he'd be looking for a scorer. I believe Bergevin believes he's solved the crisis at LD by signing Chiarot. Far from the truth, but all that matters is what Bergevin believes. If we trade Drouin, we need to replace those 53 points somewhere. I don't think Suzuki is going to do it.

I actually think he might.   Im really high on Suzuki & I think if he gets the right ice time/linemates (ie, top 6) he is going to be in the running for the calder.  MMW. 

34 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

COME ON, Someone claim Alzner! (This isn't a rumor, just wishful thinking). Save us that cap money.

Haha. I think there's a glimmer of hope.  still very unlikely but you never know. I assume if anyone was to take him we'd have to retain major salary & at this point maybe it makes more sense to just wait for a buyout next summer. 

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

i kind of hope the rumour about Drouin is true. i think he is a distraction and we would be better off getting rid of him if we can get a deal like the Tatar deal i am all in. shame we lost s blue chip LHD  prospect for a petulant manboy.

drouin needs to go, the sooner the better

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

i kind of hope the rumour about Drouin is true. i think he is a distraction and we would be better off getting rid of him if we can get a deal like the Tatar deal i am all in. shame we lost s blue chip LHD  prospect for a petulant manboy.

I still think it was worth the risk (Drouin has an unbelievable tool-bag) but it was also super bad timing for us with a such a big hole at LD.    I didnt (and still dont) see Sergachev as a top pairing guy, but it would be nice to have him on our second or even third pair.

I feel like its time to move on from the drouin experiment (even though i feel like he might make us regret it) 

I still think it was worth the risk (Drouin has an unbelievable tool-bag) but it was also super bad timing for us with a such a big hole at LD.    I didnt (and still dont) see Sergachev as a top pairing guy, but it would be nice to have him on our second or even third pair.

I feel like its time to move on from the drouin experiment (even though i feel like he might make us regret it) 

I am feel like Drouin is an enigma, when he is on he can be unstoppable when he is off he get 8 Points in 26 games or whatever it was last year. The team and Drouin said he had a revelation at his exit interview and he went through video over the summer with the coaching staff. So far that supposed revelation hasn't shown up in the preseason ie his little drop passes on the PP. All of this leads me to believe he is going to get at least the first 20 games to prove he has changed go's ways or he will be gone by the deadline.

15 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I'm not sure that we would be able to get what we got for Pacioretty. Max had so many solid goal-scoring seasons behind him before we made that deal. Drouin has put together two okay seasons with Montreal, but nothing that would make me think we could get a top-six winger, a really good prospect, and a draft pick in return for him.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm not sure that we would be able to get what we got for Pacioretty. Max had so many solid goal-scoring seasons behind him before we made that deal. Drouin has put together two okay seasons with Montreal, but nothing that would make me think we could get a top-six winger, a really good prospect, and a draft pick in return for him.

He did have a decent season in Tampa too (plus an amazing playoffs) and he's younger than Patches but point taken. 

I think that at this moment the return for Drouin, straight up, would be:  a player the same age but also struggling OR a younger prospect OR a better player who is older.  So not exactly amazing.  However, if we put him as part of a package - lets say + a young defensman + pick you might be able to get something of real value for a team who cant resign a player (or dont think they can next year etc) and see drouin as part of the replacement for that player. 

With Laine signing for 2 years and an AAV of 6.75M, there is still consideration that the Jets will want to trade him. They still need to fit Connor under the cap, Byfuglien is a no-show, and they need to shore up their D. I wonder if there still isn't a deal to be made there between us and Winnipeg.

56 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

With Laine signing for 2 years and an AAV of 6.75M, there is still consideration that the Jets will want to trade him. They still need to fit Connor under the cap, Byfuglien is a no-show, and they need to shore up their D. I wonder if there still isn't a deal to be made there between us and Winnipeg.

They do have a bunch of cap space leftover, no? I imagine they can get Connor signed to a similar bridge deal before the season starts.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah i guess it depends if they were truly involved in any sort of legitimate trade talks.  They knew what they had in laine, they knew they could sign him for something - so if they were seriously entertaining an offer from another team (montreal?) then presumably they still might be. 

Eklund saying that the Sabres and Avalanche have both enquired about Drouin (its eklund so its probably all hogwash).

I could see the Avs having interest (reuniting him with MacKinnon could certainly take him to the next level) but i dont see why the bruins would be looking at him considering their depth in their top 6. 

I really don't think Drouin is going anywhere in the short term.  He is well liked, he wants to play in Montreal, he puts up decent stats, and he's undervalued right now.  

I'm sure GMs are calling to see if MB will give him up for a song, and maybe something will catch MB's eye, but I don't think Drouin gets traded before Xmas.    

12 minutes ago, Windoe said:

I really don't think Drouin is going anywhere in the short term.  He is well liked, he wants to play in Montreal, he puts up decent stats, and he's undervalued right now.  

I'm sure GMs are calling to see if MB will give him up for a song, and maybe something will catch MB's eye, but I don't think Drouin gets traded before Xmas.    

I tend to agree. Unless a deal was just too good to pass over, I doubt if MB moves him without at least giving him a chance to rebound.  If he does then there's no point in trading him. If he doesnt, then his value probably isnt any lower than it is right now anyway. 

1 hour ago, Windoe said:

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I tend to agree. Unless a deal was just too good to pass over, I doubt if MB moves him without at least giving him a chance to rebound.  If he does then there's no point in trading him. If he doesnt, then his value probably isnt any lower than it is right now anyway. 

I don't think Drouin is safe. I tend to believe CJ doesn't appreciate Drouin's lack of work ethic, and we've seen Drouin dropped down the line-up as proof of this.

I would agree with you that MB probably doesn't feel like his hand is being forced right now and that it might be best to wait to trade him, but we also know that

1. The Habs have fished around acquiring another goal-scorer.

2. The Habs have reportedly put Drouin's name out in trade discussions, as per Eric Engels.

3. The Habs have a big hole at LHD, and Drouin may be our best trade chip to find one.

We also know that MB has frequently dealt his best players at their lowest possible values... Subban, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and so on. Doesn't mean he'll make a trade or that he'll make a bad one if he does, but I think if MB gets an offer he likes he'd be more than willing to pull the trigger.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't think Drouin is safe. I tend to believe CJ doesn't appreciate Drouin's lack of work ethic, and we've seen Drouin dropped down the line-up as proof of this.

I would agree with you that MB probably doesn't feel like his hand is being forced right now and that it might be best to wait to trade him, but we also know that

1. The Habs have fished around acquiring another goal-scorer.

2. The Habs have reportedly put Drouin's name out in trade discussions, as per Eric Engels.

3. The Habs have a big hole at LHD, and Drouin may be our best trade chip to find one.

We also know that MB has frequently dealt his best players at their lowest possible values... Subban, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and so on. Doesn't mean he'll make a trade or that he'll make a bad one if he does, but I think if MB gets an offer he likes he'd be more than willing to pull the trigger.

I am not sure we could have got more for Subban, Pacioretty or Galy Hard for me to see the returns as low value and don't see where we could have got more value  at any other time in their career. Arizona got Kessel, I am happier with Domi so I am not sure these players were at their lowest value based upon the returns they demanded. I do agree Drouin (perhaps the new Galchenyuk) needs to be careful. He is running against the philosophy of the team and the way he finished last year is not making life easier. We may be able to pair Drouin with a Brooks or Fleury to get a big return. Hopefully Drouin decides to show up tomorrow and puts some effort in at the end of the preseason

• H_T_L locked this topic