The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Either of those deals woud make a ton of sense. Its great having the flexibility of Byron but its a luxury having him on the 4th line but a necessity to have someone better in the top LHD spot. 

I think just about any fan, coach or GM would agree with that assessment 

21 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Montreal interested in 2020 KHL free agent LW Konstantin Okulov. He would be a third line winger who put up 20 goals and 31 points in 48 games last year. Also in the rumour mill, teams are calling the Habs about Paul Byron according to Dave Pagnotta. Here is a quote from the article. "Byron and his team-friendly contract are expendable. With their need for defence, moving him wouldn’t be hard and would bring in a hefty return."

Wonder if the Islanders would go Byron for Leddy? Or the Ducks Byron for Fowler? Both links are below.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/awinninghabit.com/2019/10/20/montreal-canadiens-rumour-konstantin-okulov/amp/

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/10/20/nhl-rumours-toronto-maple-leafs-montreal-canadiens-more/

just to follow up...

Rumour: David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period joined TSN590 and stated that multiple teams have inquired about Paul Byron. He feels confident that the team will make a move in the next few weeks.

Analysis: The Canadiens roster is pretty full. They’re still looking to bolster their blueline. Byron is injury prone and has yet to register a goal this season. Last season was a bust for him. After sustaining a concussion and other minor injuries, he only dressed for 56 games.

With Ryan Poehling starting to get his game together in Laval after sustaining a concussion in the pre-season, he most certainly could warrant a call up to the NHL. The Habs have plenty of depth on the wing. Byron and his team-friendly contract are expendable. With their need for defence, moving him wouldn’t be hard and would bring in a hefty return.

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

Either of those deals woud make a ton of sense. Its great having the flexibility of Byron but its a luxury having him on the 4th line but a necessity to have someone better in the top LHD spot. 

I would trade Byron in a heartbeat for some legitimate help on D. I don't think he'll bring us a top-2 defender, but he may bring us someone who's a competent top-4. Maybe you package him with someone like Victor Mete, Noah Juulsen, Cale Fleury, or Josh Brook?

3 hours ago, tony5775 said:

The Flyers and Gostisbehere have not had great a great start to the season. I could see Byron going there for some sort of deal. 

The flyers are a team we should definitely be pushing for a trade.  Between  Provorov, Sanheim and Ghost, they have 3 LHD who are arguably all top 3 guys.  One of those should be attainable in a trade.  They are also a team with a number of players who are probably1  - 2 years away from a major decline. They may well be interested in a Ghost-for-Byron trade (there would have to be other parts of course) or even Sanheim.   

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would trade Byron in a heartbeat for some legitimate help on D. I don't think he'll bring us a top-2 defender, but he may bring us someone who's a competent top-4. Maybe you package him with someone like Victor Mete, Noah Juulsen, Cale Fleury, or Josh Brook?

Byron alone, I agree with but as you said, package him & who knows. 

I hate the idea of losing Mete but if you bring in someone to play with Weber & Kulak stays with Petry then Mete is on the 3rd pairi anyway.   I feel like Byron + Mete + Pick could probably net you a pretty solid LHD. 

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The flyers are a team we should definitely be pushing for a trade.  Between  Provorov, Sanheim and Ghost, they have 3 LHD who are arguably all top 3 guys.  One of those should be attainable in a trade.  They are also a team with a number of players who are probably1  - 2 years away from a major decline. They may well be interested in a Ghost-for-Byron trade (there would have to be other parts of course) or even Sanheim.   

I hate the idea of losing Mete but if you bring in someone to play with Weber & Kulak stays with Petry then Mete is on the 3rd pairi anyway.   I feel like Byron + Mete + Pick could probably net you a pretty solid LHD. 

I agree about the Flyers but have also been looking at teams at the bottom of the standings that could use Byron and have a couple of surplus LHD. I have listed them in order of who I believe would be the best fit.

Chicago Gustafsson - Byron, Juulsen or Fleury + 2nd (Chicago)

Philadelphia Gostisbehere - Byron, Mete + 2nd

Dallas Lindell - Byron, Mete, Juulsen + 3rd (this one to me is the most interesting as Lindell is currently their top guy and is only 25 but Heiskanen is on the rise)

Dallas Heiskanen - Byron, Mete, Juulsen + 1st or 2nd

Dallas Harley + 2021 1st or 2nd - Byron + Juulsen

I agree I would also hate losing Mete but for the good of the team he would be my choice over Kulak as Kulak-Petry are better than Mete-Petry

So,,, how do we feel about the rumours of us being in on the Hall trade speculation? The guy is 30 but still has a few good years in him i would imagine. The story is that he would need a signed deal before any team offered much. We have the cap and prospects to make it happen.

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So,,, how do we feel about the rumours of us being in on the Hall trade speculation? The guy is 30 but still has a few good years in him i would imagine. The story is that he would need a signed deal before any team offered much. We have the cap and prospects to make it happen.

In a vacuum its great.  You should always be interested in adding a player like Hall.  But the concern is that MB would once again fix one area but not fix others.  We will not go far with Mete-Kulak-Chiarot as our LD. 

Could we use a Taylor Hall? Absolutely! Every team could.    Would we be smarter to trade assets for a top pairing PM LHD? Yes. 

I worry that MB would trade for Hall & thats it.   If he traded for hall & then filled other problem areas & made us a true contender while the windows of Price, Weber, Petry etc are still open?  Great.  But i fear that like the Subban "win now" trade, MB would just be "one and done" and we'd be not really much better right now, while getting worse in the long run. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Hall is 27.

10 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Bad reporting on the article I read if that's the case

Yeah I saw the article that said he was 30 too. He will be 28 in like 3 or 4 weeķs on Nov 14th though so saying he is 27 is technically right but not really accurate LOL. Doesn't really seam like any article can get it right.

7 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I wouldn't be interested in him as a rental but I'd absolutely make an offer for Hall if an extension can be worked out. Players of his calibre usually aren't available and he'd be lights out with Domi I think.

Taylor Hall would be excellent on any NHL team. Montreal included. I doubt we'd ever have a shot at landing him. NJ is going to want so much than what they gave up to get him. NJ's management will probably say, "We're starting with a first round draft pick, a top-tier prospect (projected top defender or projected top line center/winger), a top-six roster player, and additional mid-round picks."

43 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Taylor Hall would be excellent on any NHL team. Montreal included. I doubt we'd ever have a shot at landing him. NJ is going to want so much than what they gave up to get him. NJ's management will probably say, "We're starting with a first round draft pick, a top-tier prospect (projected top defender or projected top line center/winger), a top-six roster player, and additional mid-round picks."

They may want it but Im not sure they will get it.  1st, roster player, top prospect is probably all they'll get for him.  Its becoming apparent they wont resign him so their power is dwindling because they have an asset that will walk in the summer if they  dont trade him.  My guess is it will take 3 pieces to get it done.   So for us that could be:  1st, Tatar, Poehling. Worth it? Dunno.  Hall is elite but he's also  going to be expensive & we have guys who are going to be needing raises very soon... 

if i had an confidence that MB would then make the necessary follow up trades to make us a true contender now, id be down for it but considering we'd still probably go into the playoffs with the mess that is our D corps, whats the point? 

18 minutes ago, maas_art said:

They may want it but Im not sure they will get it.  1st, roster player, top prospect is probably all they'll get for him.  Its becoming apparent they wont resign him so their power is dwindling because they have an asset that will walk in the summer if they  dont trade him.  My guess is it will take 3 pieces to get it done.   So for us that could be:  1st, Tatar, Poehling. Worth it? Dunno.  Hall is elite but he's also  going to be expensive & we have guys who are going to be needing raises very soon... 

if i had an confidence that MB would then make the necessary follow up trades to make us a true contender now, id be down for it but considering we'd still probably go into the playoffs with the mess that is our D corps, whats the point? 

Yeah, I don't see Hall being on Montreal. Even if Bergevin really wanted him. I suspect he's traded as a rental before the deadline and then goes into free agency looking for good money and a good team. Doubtful he would pick Montreal at that point. And without the team to really compete for the Cup, not sure Bergevin would trade for him as a rental.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree that the 1st, Roster Player and top prospect would be all that it will take. If I was MB I might start with 1st + Tatar + Struble then build from there

14 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah I saw the article that said he was 30 too. He will be 28 in like 3 or 4 weeķs on Nov 14th though so saying he is 27 is technically right but not really accurate LOL. Doesn't really seam like any article can get it right.

If I was on the Price is Right I would have won! :6416:

55 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I agree that the 1st, Roster Player and top prospect would be all that it will take. If I was MB I might start with 1st + Tatar + Struble then build from there

I'm doubtful that would even peak their interest. Taylor Hall is a pretty damn talented forward who has been over a PPG in his last two seasons. He's also in his prime. The first rounder might be somewhere between 10th-15th. Tatar is a 20-goal man. Struble is nothing at this point.

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm doubtful that would even peak their interest. Taylor Hall is a pretty damn talented forward who has been over a PPG in his last two seasons. He's also in his prime. The first rounder might be somewhere between 10th-15th. Tatar is a 20-goal man. Struble is nothing at this point.

I tend to agree.  

I think it would take one of our top 5 prospects (Poehling, Suzuki, Kotkaneimi, Caufield) to get them interested.  Tatar is roughly the same age as Hall so you offset some of the loss of points but the "prize" would be the prospect.  I think they would want either Poehling or Kotkaneimi & honestly that may be a nonstarter for me, as good as hall is.  The 8-10 year age difference is just too much for me to bridge.  

Now, if Hall was a LD Id be all over it, every day. 

30 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I tend to agree.  

I think it would take one of our top 5 prospects (Poehling, Suzuki, Kotkaneimi, Caufield) to get them interested.  Tatar is roughly the same age as Hall so you offset some of the loss of points but the "prize" would be the prospect.  I think they would want either Poehling or Kotkaneimi & honestly that may be a nonstarter for me, as good as hall is.  The 8-10 year age difference is just too much for me to bridge.  

Yeah that's why I thought Tatar and Struble. I hesitate to give up Poehling,  Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Caufield or Romanov. Perhaps you could instead offer 2-1sts a 3rd  and a roster player.

14 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah that's why I thought Tatar and Struble. I hesitate to give up Poehling,  Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Caufield or Romanov. Perhaps you could instead offer 2-1sts a 3rd  and a roster player.

With the draft happening in Montreal next year I feel like its going to have to be a pretty special deal for MB to even consider giving up his first. 

55 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I tend to agree.  

Yeah. I think you're right. The starting point would probably be Kotkaniemi. Maybe Poehling, Suzuki, or Caufield as well. I'd probably be willing to part with one of the latter three if it meant acquiring Hall (with a contract extension). Something like a first rounder, Ryan Poehling (or Nick Suzuki or Cole Caufield), and one of our defensive prospects.

• H_T_L locked this topic