Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'd want nothing to do with Hall; cost to acquire, future cap hit, injury history, lack of playoff experience. I don't see how he'd bring us to the next level.

I want, what everyone else does, a solid LD and then a forward with proven playoff success. Give me a Justin Williams type guy who's on an expiring contract please

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MONSTER TRADE RUMOR: CAREY PRICE INVOLVED IN BLOCK BUSTER TRADE TO COLORADO

One day, if they want to get younger between the pipes in Montreal, there is Philipp Grubauer who could come in return, Boucher stated on JiC. In Colorado, they selected a young left-handed defenceman named Bowen Byram in the first round of the draft and he would be a great fit in Montreal. In my opinion, in Colorado, what's missing to win the Stanley Cup in the next two or three years is Carey Price.  I would want a first round pick also. 

If you were to trade price this would be the next logical step, Then move out Weber, Petry, Byron, Nate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

MONSTER TRADE RUMOR: CAREY PRICE INVOLVED IN BLOCK BUSTER TRADE TO COLORADO

One day, if they want to get younger between the pipes in Montreal, there is Philipp Grubauer who could come in return, Boucher stated on JiC. In Colorado, they selected a young left-handed defenceman named Bowen Byram in the first round of the draft and he would be a great fit in Montreal. In my opinion, in Colorado, what's missing to win the Stanley Cup in the next two or three years is Carey Price.  I would want a first round pick also. 

If you were to trade price this would be the next logical step, Then move out Weber, Petry, Byron, Nate

That's not what the article said it was saying MB needs to figure out what direction he wants to go whether it was trading Price and Weber or using the picks to get a LHD and goal scorer now for a run at the cup. The article also went on to state that this was trade that Sakic would probably never consider. I will see if I can find the whole article to post.

As promised check the second last paragraph.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-ten-games-into-the-season-canadiens-get-failing-grade/amp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

MONSTER TRADE RUMOR: CAREY PRICE INVOLVED IN BLOCK BUSTER TRADE TO COLORADO

One day, if they want to get younger between the pipes in Montreal, there is Philipp Grubauer who could come in return, Boucher stated on JiC. In Colorado, they selected a young left-handed defenceman named Bowen Byram in the first round of the draft and he would be a great fit in Montreal. In my opinion, in Colorado, what's missing to win the Stanley Cup in the next two or three years is Carey Price.  I would want a first round pick also. 

If you were to trade price this would be the next logical step, Then move out Weber, Petry, Byron, Nate

This trade doesn't make any sense for us. Carey is fine now. If you're making a trade, it's because you want to build a winner in 2-4 years. Grubauer is already 27 and he hasn't proven himself as a starter in the league. So we'd be dealing an all-star goalie for an unproven starter who is only a few years younger. I'd want a lot more than Byram to compensate for that big a downgrade. IMO, we'd be better off using Primeau instead of going for Grubauer.

The problem from Colorado's end is that they don't have enough cap space to take on Price. We'd have to take back more salary than just Grubauer anyways, and for that, I'd want even more compensation to be honest. I think Price as a player makes sense for Colorado, and Sakic has certainly seen first-hand what adding a veteran all-star goalie does for you, but we're not in a huge rush to have to trade Price. I think he'll still be a top-tier goalie for a few more years. So the deal there has to make a lot of sense. Weber is the guy we really need to look at trading ASAP, and I can't see MB trading Price first. You deal Weber first, and then you see where you are and whether there's a deal to be made for Price that brings you players (as in multiple) in the 18-24 age range who can help you for 8-10 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, caperns61 said:

MONSTER TRADE RUMOR: CAREY PRICE INVOLVED IN BLOCK BUSTER TRADE TO COLORADO

One day, if they want to get younger between the pipes in Montreal, there is Philipp Grubauer who could come in return, Boucher stated on JiC. In Colorado, they selected a young left-handed defenceman named Bowen Byram in the first round of the draft and he would be a great fit in Montreal. In my opinion, in Colorado, what's missing to win the Stanley Cup in the next two or three years is Carey Price.  I would want a first round pick also. 

If you were to trade price this would be the next logical step, Then move out Weber, Petry, Byron, Nate

Provided Price waived his No Movement Clause in his contract. I guess that would depend on which team he felt had the best chance for a cup, Avs or Habs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok I am going to report this in the style if Mr. Eklund so please don't take it to heart.

Montreal had 2 scouts at last night's kings and a very very reliable source from within the Kings organization (aka the guy in section 102 row D seat 18 of the staples centre) says the Habs ware there to acquire LHD Alex Martinez this is an (e5) rumour. My Sourses didn't say who was going back the other way but the Kings are looking for secondary scoring and/or draft picks and prospects to facilitate a retool. 

Ok that was fun but the real story is that while Montreal plays the Kings next week the Habs sent Scott Mellanby and Lorne Henning to take a look at LHD Martinez. I don't know a lot about Martinez but he is 32 and carries a 4 Mil cap hit for the next 2 years. Not sure if he is a top pairing guy or not but if he is it would be a nice stop gap until one of our younger guys could step up. See the link for the brief story

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-los-angeles-kings-montreal-canadiens-ottawa-senators-and-the-boston-bruins/2019/11/02/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Ok I am going to report this in the style if Mr. Eklund so please don't take it to heart.

Montreal had 2 scouts at last night's kings and a very very reliable source from within the Kings organization (aka the guy in section 102 row D seat 18 of the staples centre) says the Habs ware there to acquire LHD Alex Martinez this is an (e5) rumour. My Sourses didn't say who was going back the other way but the Kings are looking for secondary scoring and/or draft picks and prospects to facilitate a retool. 

Ok that was fun but the real story is that while Montreal plays the Kings next week the Habs sent Scott Mellanby and Lorne Henning to take a look at LHD Martinez. I don't know a lot about Martinez but he is 32 and carries a 4 Mil cap hit for the next 2 years. Not sure if he is a top pairing guy or not but if he is it would be a nice stop gap until one of our younger guys could step up. See the link for the brief story

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-los-angeles-kings-montreal-canadiens-ottawa-senators-and-the-boston-bruins/2019/11/02/

Interesting, a decent contract for 2 more years, decent numbers, and if he's available,,,, could be a good trade, but what would we have to give up, picks, prospects, or a combo or a roster player, picks? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Interesting, a decent contract for 2 more years, decent numbers, and if he's available,,,, could be a good trade, but what would we have to give up, picks, prospects, or a combo or a roster player, picks? 

Like I said I don't know much about him I don't get to see a lot of L.A. games. His numbers don't seem too bad and at 32 he might be cheaper to acquire than a Gostisbehere or Klefbom and it would mean we don't have to rush guys like Romanov or Leskinen even though I think they will be pushing for spots as early as the end of this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would prefer Martinez over Gostibhere and some other names mentioned here, but would expect this to happen closer Christmas. Would definitely not want to pay too much. He would probably be top 4 behind Weber, Petry and Mete, and more on par with Mete. Not sure it is wise to make a move with Brooks, Romanov and Juulsen so close to joining the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are the Kings blowing it all up that early in the season? Otherwise I don't see them moving Martinez, with him gone they'll basically have Doughty followed by a whole lot of nothing on D. Sounds like another silly Eklund rumor that just doesn't make much sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Are the Kings blowing it all up that early in the season? Otherwise I don't see them moving Martinez, with him gone they'll basically have Doughty followed by a whole lot of nothing on D. Sounds like another silly Eklund rumor that just doesn't make much sense.

But it wasn't by Eklund like I said I was just having fun at Eklunds expense. The rumour actually came from Dennis Burnstien of the fourth period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

But it wasn't by Eklund like I said I was just having fun at Eklunds expense. The rumour actually came from Dennis Burnstien of the fourth period.

Oh, my bad, I misread your original post. My point still stands though, I don't see the Kings moving Martinez without acquiring a LHD in return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Oh, my bad, I misread your original post. My point still stands though, I don't see the Kings moving Martinez without acquiring a LHD in return.

Yeah I don't know the cost or even if he is available or why we had 2 scouts there but it made for an interesting read. Sorry I also should have just referenced the article instead of having fun with it LOL 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Oh, my bad, I misread your original post. My point still stands though, I don't see the Kings moving Martinez without acquiring a LHD in return.

I could totally see them having interest in Martinez for Mete + 

Whether it makes sense for us to do it or not depends on a few things:  1) is martinez good enough to get the job done at #1LD for the next 2 years?  2) do we have the players to be #1 after that?

A guy like Martinez is probably as good as its going to get in terms of a stop-gap.  I honestly dont see MB trading quality players to fill that role with a 22-24 year old, so an older guy who can (hopefully) perform for a couple more years may be the only option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I could totally see them having interest in Martinez for Mete + 

Whether it makes sense for us to do it or not depends on a few things:  1) is martinez good enough to get the job done at #1LD for the next 2 years?  2) do we have the players to be #1 after that?

A guy like Martinez is probably as good as its going to get in terms of a stop-gap.  I honestly dont see MB trading quality players to fill that role with a 22-24 year old, so an older guy who can (hopefully) perform for a couple more years may be the only option. 

Not sure if I'm willing to move Mete for less than 2 full years of Martinez on the downside of his career. He's definitely still serviceable and I've always liked him, but it's probably not the direction we should be taking. On the other hand, there's a chance Mete won't turn into much more than he already is. An undersized 20 point Dman who will always fight an uphill battle in the corners and in front of the net shouldn't be terribly hard to replace really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Not sure if I'm willing to move Mete for less than 2 full years of Martinez on the downside of his career. He's definitely still serviceable and I've always liked him, but it's probably not the direction we should be taking. On the other hand, there's a chance Mete won't turn into much more than he already is. An undersized 20 point Dman who will always fight an uphill battle in the corners and in front of the net shouldn't be terribly hard to replace really.

I totally get what you're saying and i agree to an extent.  I feel like Mete + Byron + 1st could probably net you a top 4 LHD who is much younger than Martinez.  However, I think our big problem is the next 2 years.  Between Romanov, Struble, Nolinder, Harris etc I am confident we have at least 1 top pairing LD.    If we can limp along for a couple of years with a "left handed Jeff Petry" type of player, i think it would make a world of difference now.  Like Petry Martinez is way older than ideal, but also like Jeff, he's a great skater so the age is somewhat mitigated by skill. 

Ideally you'd keep mete and trade Reilly, Chiarot or even Kulak for the guy to play on the top pair, but i dont see any other LD we have that would be of interest to a team in a trade.

The other thing is, lets say hypothetically we got Martinez for picks +a forward.   Who sits?  Now you have Martinez (clear #1 on our roster),  Mete, Kulak, Chiarot, Reilly, etc.  We also have guys like Leskinen who has looked pretty good in Laval and Gustav Olofsson (who is finally healthy) so you have way too many middling LD.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I totally get what you're saying and i agree to an extent.  I feel like Mete + Byron + 1st could probably net you a top 4 LHD who is much younger than Martinez.  However, I think our big problem is the next 2 years.  Between Romanov, Struble, Nolinder, Harris etc I am confident we have at least 1 top pairing LD.    If we can limp along for a couple of years with a "left handed Jeff Petry" type of player, i think it would make a world of difference now.  Like Petry Martinez is way older than ideal, but also like Jeff, he's a great skater so the age is somewhat mitigated by skill. 

Ideally you'd keep mete and trade Reilly, Chiarot or even Kulak for the guy to play on the top pair, but i dont see any other LD we have that would be of interest to a team in a trade.

The other thing is, lets say hypothetically we got Martinez for picks +a forward.   Who sits?  Now you have Martinez (clear #1 on our roster),  Mete, Kulak, Chiarot, Reilly, etc.  We also have guys like Leskinen who has looked pretty good in Laval and Gustav Olofsson (who is finally healthy) so you have way too many middling LD.    

There is also a possibility of the hawks looking to trade Gustafsson near the deadline if Boqvist plays well. The theory is that With DeHaan and Matta signed for 3 more years and Keith and Seabrook with no move clauses that Gustafsson is the odd man out as he is a UFA this July and that is the guy I would be trying to get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, maas_art said:

I totally get what you're saying and i agree to an extent.  I feel like Mete + Byron + 1st could probably net you a top 4 LHD who is much younger than Martinez.  However, I think our big problem is the next 2 years.  Between Romanov, Struble, Nolinder, Harris etc I am confident we have at least 1 top pairing LD.    If we can limp along for a couple of years with a "left handed Jeff Petry" type of player, i think it would make a world of difference now.  Like Petry Martinez is way older than ideal, but also like Jeff, he's a great skater so the age is somewhat mitigated by skill. 

Ideally you'd keep mete and trade Reilly, Chiarot or even Kulak for the guy to play on the top pair, but i dont see any other LD we have that would be of interest to a team in a trade.

The other thing is, lets say hypothetically we got Martinez for picks +a forward.   Who sits?  Now you have Martinez (clear #1 on our roster),  Mete, Kulak, Chiarot, Reilly, etc.  We also have guys like Leskinen who has looked pretty good in Laval and Gustav Olofsson (who is finally healthy) so you have way too many middling LD.    

I think if you giving up picks for Martinez,  I am sure we could unload one of Reilly, or Kulak also with the picks. I doubt that Julien or Bergervin would want to move Chariot..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Windoe said:

Fleury seems like he'd be a very nice pickup...might need a 3rd team involved though as I'm not sure Carolina is taking MB's calls.

I think if your a GM in the NHL you have to take calls from anyone including those you are not happy with. However that being said DW will probably ask for more from MB than he would any other GM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...