The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

13 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Nothing out there yet, but with Anaheim's slide and the consensus seeming that they'll go full rebuild now ... I'm wondering if MB kicks the tires on Cam Fowler again.    He's 28 with 6 years left @ 6.5m cap hit.    He's a LD and would slot in good beside Weber I bet.

Id worry a bout about an older LD with that much term left. I totally agree he'd help us immediately but even though we are slim right now we have some very interesting prospects in the system in the way of Romanov, Struble, Harris, Norlinder, and Fairbrother.  We also have Mete and Neskinen who are both young.   I dont think its a stretch to imagine at least one of those guys will be better than Fowler. Probably not for a couple of years so id be totally down if his contract was 2, 3 or even 4 years but 6... that handicaps us for a while, unless the plan is to flip him in a couple of years. 

19 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Nothing out there yet, but with Anaheim's slide and the consensus seeming that they'll go full rebuild now ... I'm wondering if MB kicks the tires on Cam Fowler again.    He's 28 with 6 years left @ 6.5m cap hit.    He's a LD and would slot in good beside Weber I bet.

He's a guy who is definitely worth inquiring about. I believe he has a limited NTC though, so we'd have to be on his lit of teams he's willing to move to.

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id worry a bout about an older LD with that much term left. I totally agree he'd help us immediately but even though we are slim right now we have some very interesting prospects in the system in the way of Romanov, Struble, Harris, Norlinder, and Fairbrother.  We also have Mete and Neskinen who are both young.   I dont think its a stretch to imagine at least one of those guys will be better than Fowler. Probably not for a couple of years so id be totally down if his contract was 2, 3 or even 4 years but 6... that handicaps us for a while, unless the plan is to flip him in a couple of years. 

I'd be willing to make an offer on Fowler. He's a pretty good D man who has decent advanced metrics to boot. At 28, I think he can probably be a top 4 guy for another 4 years, and again, if you're going to keep Weber and Petry, you need to invest in players who are going to help you win over the next two years.

Of course everything depends on the deal Anaheim wants. If it's a 1st rounder and one prospect, then that would be fine. If it's more than that, it becomes a question. But I could definitely look at something like

Fowler-Weber

Kulak/Chiarot-Petry

Mete-Fleury

and see that as being more worthwhile than what we have right now.

48 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Even if we take Fowler on ... and keep say Mete

The other LD we have, Romanov, Stuble, Norlinder etc ... could slot in on 3rd pairing after some Laval time (that's presuming we move on from Kulak and don't resign Chiarot)

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Here's the thing about any trade... if MB is going to make one, the need for a top-pairing LHD far exceeds any other need. So if you're going to give up prospects/picks, it had better be for a LHD and it had better be for a guy who can play here for another 5 years (i.e. a player who is 27 or younger). Like I've said, Zach Werenski would have been a great target to trade for or offersheet last summer, and he ended up signing for far less than I would have offersheeted him. I would look for another guy like that out there who could fill the same role.

Here is an interesting read that could influence MB's trade position and rationale. I am not sure I agree with their point of view though.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chiarot-kulak-changed-canadiens-trade-outlook/sn-amp/

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Here is an interesting read that could influence MB's trade position and rationale. I am not sure I agree with their point of view though.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chiarot-kulak-changed-canadiens-trade-outlook/sn-amp/

I don't agree with this at all. Yes, Chiarot has played well the past two weeks. Yes, Kulak has looked good when he's played with Petry. But having three #4-6 defencemen down the left side doesn't mean you have anything to talk about on your top pairing. I highly doubt Weber will be able to keep scoring at his recent pace. I highly doubt Weber, Petry, and/or Chiarot can continue to play 25-30 minutes a night every night without having someone better. We've also seen Weber and Petry look downright awful when asked to play the left side on a couple of occasions. Bottom line is that the Habs need help on the left side. I agree that what we have is better than trying to acquire the likes of Andy Greene or Brendan Dillon, as Engels suggests might be options. But if you go after a Werenski or Gostisbehere or Theodore or Fowler and give up a little more to get a longer-term solution, that makes more sense to me.

30 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't agree with this at all. Yes, Chiarot has played well the past two weeks. Yes, Kulak has looked good when he's played with Petry. But having three #4-6 defencemen down the left side doesn't mean you have anything to talk about on your top pairing. I highly doubt Weber will be able to keep scoring at his recent pace. I highly doubt Weber, Petry, and/or Chiarot can continue to play 25-30 minutes a night every night without having someone better. We've also seen Weber and Petry look downright awful when asked to play the left side on a couple of occasions. Bottom line is that the Habs need help on the left side. I agree that what we have is better than trying to acquire the likes of Andy Greene or Brendan Dillon, as Engels suggests might be options. But if you go after a Werenski or Gostisbehere or Theodore or Fowler and give up a little more to get a longer-term solution, that makes more sense to me.

I would agree with going after 3 of the 4 mentioned. Ghost just isn't good enough defensively to go after IMO.

44 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I would agree with going after 3 of the 4 mentioned. Ghost just isn't good enough defensively to go after IMO.

Agreed that he is the weakest of the 4 but also probably the cheapest to acquire, on a reasonable contract, a guy who fills a need for an offensive D man on the left side, and who still IMO be our best LHD if he were to come here.

48 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Taylor Hall kept out of the line-up for precautionary reasons tonight, leading to lots of speculation a trade out of NJ is very close.

I think it's more just the devils have narrowed their options and a potential sign and trade so the details are being ironed out. Would explain why Hall isn't with the other devils health scratches tonight. Probably going to the Avs like predicted.

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I think it's more just the devils have narrowed their options and a potential sign and trade so the details are being ironed out. Would explain why Hall isn't with the other devils health scratches tonight. Probably going to the Avs like predicted.

Have also heard a fair number of Hall to Oilers reunion, and John Shannon this morning  hearing the Blues and Coyotes are the front-runners. Bob McKenzie also says he's hearing the most about the Coyotes. Arizona is finally near the top of their division, so Chayka may well want to make a splash... bottom line is while Avs make most sense, there are likely going to be multiple teams bidding and NJ isn't going to sell to the one with the best chance at winning a Cup, they're going to sell to the one who gives them the best return. I have a hard time seeing Stl being that team, given that they've given up a bunch of futures in recent years, but who knows.

34 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Have also heard a fair number of Hall to Oilers reunion, and John Shannon this morning  hearing the Blues and Coyotes are the front-runners. Bob McKenzie also says he's hearing the most about the Coyotes. Arizona is finally near the top of their division, so Chayka may well want to make a splash... bottom line is while Avs make most sense, there are likely going to be multiple teams bidding and NJ isn't going to sell to the one with the best chance at winning a Cup, they're going to sell to the one who gives them the best return. I have a hard time seeing Stl being that team, given that they've given up a bunch of futures in recent years, but who knows.

Oilers don't make a lot of sense either with both Draistle and McDavid there making over 8 mil. They don't want to be the next Leafs team having 3 guys over 8 and no room for anyone else.

38 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Oilers don't make a lot of sense either with both Draistle and McDavid there making over 8 mil. They don't want to be the next Leafs team having 3 guys over 8 and no room for anyone else.

But if they want to make a run this year, then it makes sense. We know they need wingers... maybe they flip RNH as part of the deal.

In any case, Adrian Dater reporting now that he's heard the Avs are out of the Hall sweepstakes and that the Blues are still in it, so looks like we're hearing more Blues and Coyotes than anyone else right now. Also looks like we're hearing only about Western conference teams at this point.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

But if they want to make a run this year, then it makes sense. We know they need wingers... maybe they flip RNH as part of the deal.

In any case, Adrian Dater reporting now that he's heard the Avs are out of the Hall sweepstakes and that the Blues are still in it, so looks like we're hearing more Blues and Coyotes than anyone else right now. Also looks like we're hearing only about Western conference teams at this point.

Yeah I don't think any of them really know what's going on they all seem to be just guessing like the rest of us.

11 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree after 10 games he would be in the stands watching just like Philly. If you cannot play some sort of defensive hockey you don't play for Julien. His poor defensive play far outweighs any offensive production from the back end. Again just because someone can skate really well and has a great looking skill set does not mean they are a good hockey player. Look at Galchenyk, Sherback, and to a lesser extent Droiun ( although he did  look more engaged this season up until the injury). IF these guys are not producing offensively they have 0 value. We seen that from Drouin last season. He hurt the team most nights. We seen it from Galchenyk while he was here.

Me i would probably prefer to add a veteran deeman at this time if you can get one at cheap cost. Second rounder or later and maybe a player like Evans ...nothing more

Its time for Chicago to move on Duncan Keith would be my preference. Really smart player, nice fluid skater, not a huge cap hit at just over five, 3 years left after this season on his contract.. He could easily slide down to the 5 or 6 in a year or two if one or two of the young kids come along and un seed him. I would actually love to see him playing along side  Petry ....   

Maybe go a bit further, Drouin, a second, jake evans for Saad and Keith.. I know players have injuries ...I think that would make us better for a couple of season, While  Players  like Caulfield, Poeling, KK, Suzuki continue to get better...

16 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I agree after 10 games he would be in the stands watching just like Philly. If you cannot play some sort of defensive hockey you don't play for Julien. His poor defensive play far outweighs any offensive production from the back end. Again just because someone can skate really well and has a great looking skill set does not mean they are a good hockey player. Look at Galchenyk, Sherback, and to a lesser extent Droiun ( although he did  look more engaged this season up until the injury). IF these guys are not producing offensively they have 0 value. We seen that from Drouin last season. He hurt the team most nights. We seen it from Galchenyk while he was here.

Me i would probably prefer to add a veteran deeman at this time if you can get one at cheap cost. Second rounder or later and maybe a player like Evans ...nothing more

Its time for Chicago to move on Duncan Keith would be my preference. Really smart player, nice fluid skater, not a huge cap hit at just over five, 3 years left after this season on his contract.. He could easily slide down to the 5 or 6 in a year or two if one or two of the young kids come along and un seed him. I would actually love to see him playing along side  Petry ....   

Maybe go a bit further, Drouin, a second, jake evans for Saad and Keith.. I know players have injuries ...I think that would make us better for a couple of season, While  Players  like Caulfield, Poeling, KK, Suzuki continue to get better...

Not liking the idea of 2 players over 35 getting over 5 mil each in your top 4. I would also pass on Saad.  But I do see your reasoning. 

31 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Not liking the idea of 2 players over 35 getting over 5 mil each in your top 4. I would also pass on Saad.  But I do see your reasoning. 

I know what your saying and can see the concern. However if we take this path. Our kids on dee are probably 2 or 3 years away anyway... And 4 or 5 years before they need any kind of big Money.  And even though Weber and Keith are aging vets, Petry is off books after next season, hopefully, Brooks, Julsen and Fleury are able to fill that hole. Chariot would be off the books at the end of season one year after Petry and then Duncan Keith would be off the books at the end of the season one year after Chariot. Hopefully that would give time to Romanov, Mete, Harris etc can fill the roles of Chariot , Keith etc.. all the while not really giving up prospects

Brandon Saad is a 50 point, 20 plus goal player, good size winger 6.1 over 200,great skater, plays a 200 foot game, so would fit in well with with Julien, someone who i believe would be an upgrade over Droiun. And would be off the books after Next Season, When players likeColfield, KK, Suzuzki, Poeling, Yolenin are ready to take over

11 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I know what your saying and can see the concern. However if we take this path. Our kids on dee are probably 2 or 3 years away anyway... And 4 or 5 years before they need any kind of big Money.  And even though Weber and Keith are aging vets, Petry is off books after next season, hopefully, Brooks, Julsen and Fleury are able to fill that hole. Chariot would be off the books at the end of season one year after Petry and then Duncan Keith would be off the books at the end of the season one year after Chariot. Hopefully that would give time to Romanov, Mete, Harris etc can fill the roles of Chariot , Keith etc.. all the while not really giving up prospects

Brandon Saad is a 50 point, 20 plus goal player, good size winger 6.1 over 200,great skater, plays a 200 foot game, so would fit in well with with Julien, someone who i believe would be an upgrade over Droiun. And would be off the books after Next Season, When players likeColfield, KK, Suzuzki, Poeling, Yolenin are ready to take over

Yeah I get all that, although you could go to New Jersey and get Green for next to nothing and is a UFA this season and then extend him 1 year at a time until one of the younger guys step up as well and it would probably only cost you a 3rd or 4th round pick.

5 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I agree with Keith for those reasons. I wouldn't trade Drouin for Saad though myself. Drouin has a great skill set and he was playing a much better game back checking being responsible ect. before being injured.

8 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Ahha! The Keith-train, lets keep it going!

I suspect it would cost a little more than just a second and Evans. Keith is legit one of the best ever IMO. I think it would minimum be at least a second, a decent roster player (perhaps a Lehkonen) and a good prospect (a la Ikonen or Yionen etc).

But considering all of the boxes he checks off, arguably the all around best defensmen of his generation, 3 cups, gold medal with Price and Weber, Noris, Con Smyth... Total package. I would make that trade (or something similar), not sure I’d be willing to pay much more than that though. 

I am eager to see how Romanov performs for the Russian junior team at this year’s WJC - If he repeats close to last year’s tournament top D award, then I’m patient to wait it out a bit on a marquee top LD until the rental period closes - This team will be on a very competitive bubble to reach a playoff spot this year and I’m not all confident that this current lineup can achieve it without elevated LD performance 

3 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I don’t have a rumour, but more of a prediction based on rumours that have been floating around...

If we can finish this road trip and go into the Christmas break winning 2 of the remaining 3 games, MB will make a move. More than likely it will be for a LD, and more than likely it will be with Chicago.

I honestly believe he thinks our D is good enough as is, especially with Mete due back shortly. I'd be surprised if he adds another guy. 

19 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I don’t have a rumour, but more of a prediction based on rumours that have been floating around...

If we can finish this road trip and go into the Christmas break winning 2 of the remaining 3 games, MB will make a move. More than likely it will be for a LD, and more than likely it will be with Chicago.

There's a moratorium on trades during the Christmas season, it starts tonite at midnight EST, and ends on Dec 27 at midnight.

• H_T_L locked this topic