The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

14 minutes ago, olddude said:

According to Bergevin he's not doing anything big in the free agent market, so all the rumours will be just that. https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-bergevin-pours-cold-water-on-canadiens-fans-dreams

Yeah, at this point I don't really find the UFA market to be that appealing. Duchene and Panarin are the major forward pieces. I don't expect Panarin to even consider Montreal... and I really don't want to spend foolish money on Duchene. And if Gardiner wants seven years at $50 million, that just makes me feel more inclined to say "no thanks."

22 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Happy to hear, I hope we can make a nice trade though, use up that cap space on an expiring deal or get a a nice prospect for taking on a bad contract that is only 1 or 2 years

Yeah, I'm fine if Bergevin doesn't go after Duchene or Gardiner or so on. But he needs to make a trade to fill the LHD hole.

I would have no problem with MB making a run at:

1) Panarin - Has the skill to be a top line scoring threat we desperately need

)Gardiner - A Solid LHD that can move the puck very well, could be deadly putting him on the PP with Weber or Petry

3)Perry - A net presence we need to get the dirty goals, our 2nd PP unit has no one that can get in front of the net.  Realistically has way more offensive skills than Shaw

4) Stahllman - Another LHD that plays a solid Defensive game,  limited offensively but wouldn't break the bank to sign

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, I'm fine if Bergevin doesn't go after Duchene or Gardiner or so on. But he needs to make a trade to fill the LHD hole.

Problem is during that presser he pretty much said he was doing nothing cause our roster is good enough to pickup a couple of more points to make the playoffs then anything can happen. That's idiotic cause while he does nothing other teams are improving which puts us further out of the playoffs not in them

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ek says that we are going hard after Duchene and trading for Ghost.   Sounds like he's been reading these boards.  

Why not? We're a reliable source. :lol:

36 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ek says that we are going hard after Duchene and trading for Ghost.   Sounds like he's been reading these boards.  

He probably has.

E5: Respected source, jennifer_rocket, says there will be much upset in the Montreal fanbase should Bergevin splash $9+ million per season on the career 0.75 PPG scoring center.

Pittsburgh Hockey News (no idea if they're legit) is reporting that Penguins have spoken to a couple of teams about trying to move Letang out and that one is the Canadiens. Can't see how this would be a good move for us, with his being another high-paid RHD.

Also lots of talk about Vancouver trading its #10 pick. They've been linked to Tyson Barrie and PK Subban but seems like they want to acquire a veteran D man, preferably on the right side. Virtanen also in play perhaps. If Bergevin wants to move up a bit in the draft, the 10 slot is certainly one that could be open for discussion.

22 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Pittsburgh Hockey News (no idea if they're legit) is reporting that Penguins have spoken to a couple of teams about trying to move Letang out and that one is the Canadiens. Can't see how this would be a good move for us, with his being another high-paid RHD.

Also lots of talk about Vancouver trading its #10 pick. They've been linked to Tyson Barrie and PK Subban but seems like they want to acquire a veteran D man, preferably on the right side. Virtanen also in play perhaps. If Bergevin wants to move up a bit in the draft, the 10 slot is certainly one that could be open for discussion.

Yeah Letang makes no sense for us imho.

As for 10 OVA, that would be great but if they want a vet RHD and we can safely assume Weber is untouchable in MB's book, would we consider moving Petry?  Not sure. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah Letang makes no sense for us imho.

As for 10 OVA, that would be great but if they want a vet RHD and we can safely assume Weber is untouchable in MB's book, would we consider moving Petry?  Not sure. 

There is rumours the hawks would trade 3rd OVA for the right package would Shaw + Lehkonen or Armia + 2nd get it done

25 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

There is rumours the hawks would trade 3rd OVA for the right package would Shaw + Lehkonen or Armia + 2nd get it done

Didn't happen, but that package wouldn't even be close. I think any discussion of 3rd overall pick would have had to include JK or else Domi, our 1st rounder, and another asset.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Didn't happen, but that package wouldn't even be close. I think any discussion of 3rd overall pick would have had to include JK or else Domi, our 1st rounder, and another asset.

Agreed.  If you give up 3rd overall, you like want an elite young prospect  - so JK, Domi, Suzuki or Poehling would be the starting point - or, like you said, 15OVA + Brook or something.   

Too rich imho. 

Dreger says Preds willing to retain up to 3M of Subban's 9M salary in a trade... I hate going back and recycling players we already had, BUT let's say you can grab Subban in a trade where you send a Petry back the other way or you send a Tatar and Suzuki or something like that, and only have to pay Subban 6M against the cap... do you do it? If you acquire Subban without giving up Petry or Weber, then you can use one of those guys as trade bait later on too. Definitely fills a need, fans would love it, albeit Bergevin would not. So will never happen in practice, but could have been an interesting dossier if we had fired Bergevin and had someone else running the show. I think, for example, if Timmins was our GM, that Subban would be back here if we had the chance to re-add him.

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Dreger says Preds willing to retain up to 3M of Subban's 9M salary in a trade... I hate going back and recycling players we already had, BUT let's say you can grab Subban in a trade where you send a Petry back the other way or you send a Tatar and Suzuki or something like that, and only have to pay Subban 6M against the cap... do you do it? If you acquire Subban without giving up Petry or Weber, then you can use one of those guys as trade bait later on too. Definitely fills a need, fans would love it, albeit Bergevin would not. So will never happen in practice, but could have been an interesting dossier if we had fired Bergevin and had someone else running the show. I think, for example, if Timmins was our GM, that Subban would be back here if we had the chance to re-add him.

If there was a way to bring back subban and keep weber i think MB might actually consider it.  I mean he has never publicly said he didnt like Subban, simply that "if you get a chance to get shea weber you have to take it." (his words, not mine)   if we could get Subban back for Petry then MB would think "best of both worlds."

I dont think it would happen mind you but that would be an interesting top 4 for sure. 

Interesting that NSH sells PK after only 3 years.  

(read between...

The return of NSH's PK sale, as it appeared during MTL's PK sale, again seems low.

...the lines)

So you have an elite talent, moving again, for lower than expected returns, again.

1 hour ago, Windoe said:

Interesting that NSH sells PK after only 3 years.  

(read between...

The return of NSH's PK sale, as it appeared during MTL's PK sale, again seems low.

...the lines)

So you have an elite talent, moving again, for lower than expected returns, again.

It's not strange at all ... I know what you're trying to imply, PK, bad attitude, locker room issues

But

Nashville's D is stacked ... and PK is the highest paid of them, and 30 ... if they're making a run at Duchene as the rumors suggest, they're trying to clear cap space to do so and PK is the logical choice.   There have been zero rumors out of NSH that I've seen to suggest he's a problem ... and as far as being a problem in Montreal, I think we traded the REAL problem in Paccioretty .. witness the teams turnaround after he left.

Trading PK for Weber straight up is one of the worst trades this organization has ever done ... top 5 at least.   PK was not a problem ... Paccioretty was.

Edited by HabsAlways
11 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

It's not strange at all ... I know what you're trying to imply, PK, bad attitude, locker room issues

But

Nashville's D is stacked ... and PK is the highest paid of them, and 30 ... if they're making a run at Duchene as the rumors suggest, they're trying to clear cap space to do so and PK is the logical choice.   There have been zero rumors out of NSH that I've seen to suggest he's a problem ... and as far as being a problem in Montreal, I think we traded the REAL problem in Paccioretty .. witness the teams turnaround after he left.

Trading PK for Weber straight up is one of the worst trades this organization has ever done ... top 5 at least.   PK was not a problem ... Paccioretty was.

I don't think PK has a bad attitude, i just think he can sometimes be hard to get along with because he's so focused on his branding

What I really think this means is that PK is often overrated in Montreal. And I'm quite certain if we ever traded Weber we would get a much better return, but its not happening 

55 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't think PK has a bad attitude, i just think he can sometimes be hard to get along with because he's so focused on his branding

What I really think this means is that PK is often overrated in Montreal. And I'm quite certain if we ever traded Weber we would get a much better return, but its not happening 

I agree with this, he is very good but he has been hurt a couple of times and he is not cheap to have on your team! add to that the big personality and the fact they are stacked at D and they need cap space and he became the odd man out. i think MTL  got the best years out of him myself. when i watched him skate the last two years the jump he used to have seems to be a little softer. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Let's face facts. PK was traded simply because Therrien hated him from day 1, and MB chose his  coach over the player. That's my opinion and i'm sure many others will agree.

I agree HTL

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Let's face facts. PK was traded simply because Therrien hated him from day 1, and MB chose his  coach over the player. That's my opinion and i'm sure many others will agree.

:6280:

1. Agreed with what HTL wrote... Subban wasn't traded from here for anything hockey-related, he was dealt from here because of Therrien and Bergevin's personal vendetta. And yes, it was clear Gallagher and Plekanec didn't like him, but it was also clear 70-80% of Subban's teammates liked him here. I'm sure you could find as many people on the roster who don't like Shaw or Gallagher or Price or so on...

2. The Nashville deal was a bad return for them. This didn't appear to have anything to do with PK's attitude nor his on-ice performance, even though he had an injury-riddled off-year last season. He and his teammates seemed to get along just fine. When he came to Montreal, a whole bunch of them showed up on their day off to help him with an event at the Children's Hospital. A lot of them went out for dinner with him to Park restaurant. He and Josi seemed to get along really well. This had nothing to do with being a bad apple. As was written above and as Poile basically confirmed himself (by saying they turned down better hockey deals in order to take the one that cleared all of Subban's cap hit), this was about a monetary move in the cap era. Nashville clearly feels like they are deep at D and that they needed help up front, so to them, I don't think they see it as Subban vs. two 2nd's and prospects. I think they see it as Subban vs. two seconds, prospects, AND Duchene or Panarin or whoever else they're targeting to use that cap room. I'm guessing they must feel confident they're getting somebody...

I've been hearing and watching lots of Youtube hockey channels talking about Gostisbehere for a few months now. The price of Byron, Shaw and picks and whatnot seems too rich for me. Would really love to have Ghost, makes good sense to have him with Weber, dual shooting threats on the blueline. Not familiar with Brodie at all, gonna research him a bit. 

With Vegas being basically 2 Mil over cap and still a number of players to sign I would target them for a trade maybe start by offering something like Shaw + Mete + Fleury + 2nd in 2020 for Marchessault + Theodore would have to think they might at least counter cause they would get 6.3 mil cap space plus some decent prospects maybe we can sneak Suban in there too lol

Edited by campabee82