The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:
Report: Panthers' Mike Hoffman Is On The Trade Block.

https://www.gohabsgo.com/articles/report-panthers-mike-hoffman-is-on-the-trade-block/

Should the Habs be interested? Would the Panthers want to deal with Montreal? Who with the Habs would interest them? I've read the are looking for some to play with Ekblad...

We should have no interest in Hoffman - scoring help may be coming in future. Why would Panthers give up Hoffman for any interest in Kovy or Tatar? Florida should not be interested in Petry as Jeff is a right hand shot so doesn’t really compliment Ekblad unless it’s depth as both are right hand shots 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm also okay with the status quo for the draft. I wouldn't want a format where all eliminated teams have the same odds though and was just noting that this proposal was another way of giving the worst teams a slight edge while taking out the "it's a win to lose" mentality for fans...

I'd agree with your sentiment about not being able to win back to back lotteries.. for me, if you win the lottery one year (any one of the top 3 spots), then you should be ineligible the following year. That said, I think you would then also have to give teams the option of declining the lottery win if they wanted to then (i.e. if it's the year before a Crosby or McDavid is due to come up, teams may want to risk giving up the 3rd overall if they have a shot at 1st overall in a better draft).

A few changes I would like to see are

1. I would rather have a true lottery where every team gets one ball and no bonus for finishing last it would force the teams to all teams to be competitive every year and always play for the cup. Parity would be maintained because all teams would be built to try to win. I would also not allow the top 3 teams from the last 2 drafts to get additional top 3 picks this would be achieved by their ball not being placed in the hopper until the current top 3 spots are drawn. Everything would be left to chance and would not reward teams for tanking and would not penalize teams that competed well. This might not be popular to bottom feeder teams but then they should just ice the best team possible.

2. I would like to get a soft cap with a luxury tax where the cap is set at like 84 Mil however teams can exceed this limit by say 10% but they would have to pay 50% of every dollar they are over to both the NHL and the players pension fund.

3. Tieing salary to the cap where a max salary for any player cannot exceed 12% of the cap that would make a single players salary 10.08 Mil. For this escrow should be removed from the CBA. 

4. RFA status would only apply to a players ELC once that expires the player becomes a UFA. Again this would not be popular with some players or owners but it would eliminate all the offer sheet B'S.

12 hours ago, claremont said:

We should have no interest in Hoffman - scoring help may be coming in future. Why would Panthers give up Hoffman for any interest in Kovy or Tatar? Florida should not be interested in Petry as Jeff is a right hand shot so doesn’t really compliment Ekblad unless it’s depth as both are right hand shots 

Well he is a right-winger (that shoots left) and has shown he can score goals in the NHL. He is 30 years old and UFA though, which may not help the Habs long-term... however (BIG IF) if the Habs were to make the playoffs he could be useful. I was thinking of the possibility of another D-man such as Mete or Kulak (hey how about Alzner... tsk!)

I would have no interest in moving Tatar, but Kovalchuk could potentially work for them because he is low cost... (though I'd rather keep him if the Habs were going to make the playoffs)

24 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Well he is a right-winger (that shoots left) and has shown he can score goals in the NHL. He is 30 years old and UFA though, which may not help the Habs long-term... however (BIG IF) if the Habs were to make the playoffs he could be useful. I was thinking of the possibility of another D-man such as Mete or Kulak (hey how about Alzner... tsk!)

I would have no interest in moving Tatar, but Kovalchuk could potentially work for them because he is low cost... (though I'd rather keep him if the Habs were going to make the playoffs)

As fans we need to give up this big if hope of making this years playoffs and prepare ourselves for some future trades. The odds of playoffs are less than 8 per cent per the reference sites so it’s all about building properly for the next 2-3 years. I’m wanting some trade value propositions and to free ourselves from recycled plugs of Cousins, Weise, Weal, Scandella, Folin, Peca . Way too many - we should only have 1-2 “fillers” such as Thompson, Byron or Kulak that are reclamation projects and build from within / the reset failed! 

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

A few rumors/speculations from Eric Engels:

- Jets interested in Weise

- Islanders could be in on Thompson

- As he and other have stated before, Pens, Oilers, and Flames all good fits and interested in Tatar

Of your teams listed for Tatar, the Flames are the least intriguing as they are short on prospects - Jakob Pelletier their first rounder from last year is another smallish winger and didn’t play in any international junior games 

48 minutes ago, claremont said:

Of your teams listed for Tatar, the Flames are the least intriguing as they are short on prospects - Jakob Pelletier their first rounder from last year is another smallish winger and didn’t play in any international junior games 

Agreed. Pens have Addison, but otherwise not a ton there either. Oilers easily the best fit, in terms of having Bouchard and Broberg and a few forwards, in addition to Holland knowing Tatar already.

13 hours ago, claremont said:

As fans we need to give up this big if hope of making this years playoffs and prepare ourselves for some future trades. The odds of playoffs are less than 8 per cent per the reference sites so it’s all about building properly for the next 2-3 years. I’m wanting some trade value propositions and to free ourselves from recycled plugs of Cousins, Weise, Weal, Scandella, Folin, Peca . Way too many - we should only have 1-2 “fillers” such as Thompson, Byron or Kulak that are reclamation projects and build from within / the reset failed! 

There is no "we" if you want to give up that is fine , but please don't tell other fans to give up on their team just because you may want to. Also "if" (now only 4 points out) you don't have to watch or especially cheer for the team "if" we do make the playoffs. Every year there are teams that make the playoffs in the last week or even last game , I'm pretty sure their fans don't complain. St. Louis probably had some fans that felt the same way as you. Even if we don't make the playoffs it will still be fun if we stay in the race and have something to cheer about until the end. GO HABS GO!!!

8 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

There is no "we" if you want to give up that is fine , but please don't tell other fans to give up on their team just because you may want to. Also "if" (now only 4 points out) you don't have to watch or especially cheer for the team "if" we do make the playoffs. Every year there are teams that make the playoffs in the last week or even last game , I'm pretty sure their fans don't complain. St. Louis probably had some fans that felt the same way as you. Even if we don't make the playoffs it will still be fun if we stay in the race and have something to cheer about until the end. GO HABS GO!!!

I am with you Capt till the bitter end.

8 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Well said

17 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

This.

Ive been told a few times the past week to "get real" because the playoffs arent happening this year.

Maybe they will, maybe they wont, but im still quite willing to hope they do. 

19 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

This.

Ive been told a few times the past week to "get real" because the playoffs arent happening this year.

Maybe they will, maybe they wont, but im still quite willing to hope they do. 

I won't complain if we make the playoffs. I'd be more than happy to see it. But despite our great play int he past 2-3 weeks, it remains a longshot. I think the motto you need to come back to if you're a fan or a GM is "hope for the best, prepare for the worst." As much as I enjoyed seeing the Habs come back against Toronto, I still believe MB has to protect himself against the possibility that this team won't make the post-season. I'll reiterate that thinking about trading players doesn't mean you dislike the team or that you want them to lose; it means you are putting the future of the team ahead of the present. If you look at the Pacioretty trade, that's a perfect example of shipping out a guy who was due to be a UFA sooner rather than later and where you had an opportunity to add a younger piece that extends your window for a Cup. We got lucky by finding Tatar and not losing that much in the short-term either, but if you go back two years and I offered you the chance to have Pacioretty for one more year (with the risk of losing him in free agency or the need to re-sign him to a 7M AAV contract, if he even would have signed that deal with us) or to have Suzuki and Norlinder and LeGuerrier going forward. Even forgetting how great Tatar has been for us, I'm taking Suzuki. Sure, he didn't help us as much as Pacioretty would have last year and probably this one, but he's going to be better than Max for many years thereafter.

The recent turnaround does change things a bit, but here's how I would proceed if I were MB right now:

1.  I think you really need to be a bit more patient now and take things down close to the deadline. If the Habs continue to win and take 5-6 of the remaining 7 games, you're probably not trading away assets and giving the guys a chance to make a run. I don't think you have the ability to be a buyer either, but I think you can sit on some of these guys a bit longer. The only ones you are set to lose for nothing anyways are Scandella, Kovalchuk, Thompson, etc. so other than Kovy, not much to lose by not trading guys for lower-round picks.

2. If you win 4 or less of the next 7, then I think you're a seller, as you were a week ago. The odds become just too long and you're running out of real estate to have to win something like 14 of your last 18 games to get in. So at that point, I think you sell what you can. That means Thompson and Scandella and Weise and Cousins and so on. In Kovalchuk's case, I think you find out if he will sign an extension. If he does, you keep him. If he doesn't, then he's probably leaving at the end of the year anyways, so you trade him. As I've said, if you have a trade for Tatar or Petry that sets you up like the Pacioretty one did, you make it. Otherwise, you hold onto your guys and re-assess at the draft.

3. The above is influenced by what you know about Weber. The Habs turnaround has largely been due to a change in play from Carey Price. You see his save percentage shoot up over the past two months and that correlates with the PK suddenly being a lot better too. So you have to believe Carey can continue to play all-star level hockey to keep this going because he's the key. But on top of that, you also have to be cognizant of the fact your D corps is awful. So if you know one of your two legit D men is out long-term, I think that trumps things and makes you a seller. You aren't likely to make any type of a run if Weber's out long term. Yes, Petry has stepped it up again in Weber's absence, but we've seen in the past that when Weber is out longer-term, Petry starts to wear out eventually. If he's going into the playoffs having logged 26+ minutes a night for the last 2 months of the season, we aren't going anywhere with an injured Weber and worn-out Petry.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I won't complain if we make the playoffs. I'd be more than happy to see it. But despite our great play int he past 2-3 weeks, it remains a longshot. I think the motto you need to come back to if you're a fan or a GM is "hope for the best, prepare for the worst." As much as I enjoyed seeing the Habs come back against Toronto, I still believe MB has to protect himself against the possibility that this team won't make the post-season. I'll reiterate that thinking about trading players doesn't mean you dislike the team or that you want them to lose; it means you are putting the future of the team ahead of the present. If you look at the Pacioretty trade, that's a perfect example of shipping out a guy who was due to be a UFA sooner rather than later and where you had an opportunity to add a younger piece that extends your window for a Cup. We got lucky by finding Tatar and not losing that much in the short-term either, but if you go back two years and I offered you the chance to have Pacioretty for one more year (with the risk of losing him in free agency or the need to re-sign him to a 7M AAV contract, if he even would have signed that deal with us) or to have Suzuki and Norlinder and LeGuerrier going forward. Even forgetting how great Tatar has been for us, I'm taking Suzuki. Sure, he didn't help us as much as Pacioretty would have last year and probably this one, but he's going to be better than Max for many years thereafter.

The recent turnaround does change things a bit, but here's how I would proceed if I were MB right now:

1.  I think you really need to be a bit more patient now and take things down close to the deadline. If the Habs continue to win and take 5-6 of the remaining 7 games, you're probably not trading away assets and giving the guys a chance to make a run. I don't think you have the ability to be a buyer either, but I think you can sit on some of these guys a bit longer. The only ones you are set to lose for nothing anyways are Scandella, Kovalchuk, Thompson, etc. so other than Kovy, not much to lose by not trading guys for lower-round picks.

2. If you win 4 or less of the next 7, then I think you're a seller, as you were a week ago. The odds become just too long and you're running out of real estate to have to win something like 14 of your last 18 games to get in. So at that point, I think you sell what you can. That means Thompson and Scandella and Weise and Cousins and so on. In Kovalchuk's case, I think you find out if he will sign an extension. If he does, you keep him. If he doesn't, then he's probably leaving at the end of the year anyways, so you trade him. As I've said, if you have a trade for Tatar or Petry that sets you up like the Pacioretty one did, you make it. Otherwise, you hold onto your guys and re-assess at the draft.

3. The above is influenced by what you know about Weber. The Habs turnaround has largely been due to a change in play from Carey Price. You see his save percentage shoot up over the past two months and that correlates with the PK suddenly being a lot better too. So you have to believe Carey can continue to play all-star level hockey to keep this going because he's the key. But on top of that, you also have to be cognizant of the fact your D corps is awful. So if you know one of your two legit D men is out long-term, I think that trumps things and makes you a seller. You aren't likely to make any type of a run if Weber's out long term. Yes, Petry has stepped it up again in Weber's absence, but we've seen in the past that when Weber is out longer-term, Petry starts to wear out eventually. If he's going into the playoffs having logged 26+ minutes a night for the last 2 months of the season, we aren't going anywhere with an injured Weber and worn-out Petry.

I have said that before that "if' we are 100 % out of the playoffs for sure than it is different. If we are still in the race you can see towards the deadline. I agree with the above players mentioned though I would consider talking to Kovy and see what it take to sign him to a 1 or possibly 2 year deal. With the whole team healthy adding Kovy does change this team. We have "possible " difference makers in Cole & Romanov coming as soon as maybe next year. If we made a trade over the summer for a top LD ?  I wouldn't trade Tatar or Petry right away either, especially just for the sake of trading them. The price would really have to be right. We don't have to trade at the deadline if we're close we can always trade before the draft or even during the offseason.  The biggest take is that we all are fans and no one should be telling others how they should think or feel. Even if it isn't logical to yourself. (The "we as fans" ) part was what I disagreed with most. 

Also heavily rumored that Rick Dudley of the Canes (and formerly of the Habs staff) has been at several Habs games in the past few weeks, many where he's tried to go unnoticed and sit in the crowd rather than scouts' row. It's believed that despite the Aho ordeal, the Canes could be interested in acquiring someone from Montreal.

21 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Also heavily rumored that Rick Dudley of the Canes (and formerly of the Habs staff) has been at several Habs games in the past few weeks, many where he's tried to go unnoticed and sit in the crowd rather than scouts' row. It's believed that despite the Aho ordeal, the Canes could be interested in acquiring someone from Montreal.

That's really interesting especially when you consider that almost every player who signed an offersheet ever has been traded within a year after signing. That's not saying I think we are getting Aho just an observation. We almost most definitely are not getting Aho but perhaps the Canes are checking in on what the cost of Petry or Tatar would be.

Two more rumors:

- RDS reporting that the Pens contacted the Habs about Max Domi but were told by Bergevin that he was not available. If you're not willing to entertain offers, one that's a dumb move as a GM but two it would indicate he probably isn't being shopped...

- someone named Maxim Guerin, who claims to be an AHL scout, says there have been talks between Wpg and Mtl about Petry but that MB has told Wpg he isn't doing anything until at least another week has passed and he can better gauge his team's place in the standings. Guerin also claims the Jets have already submitted a decent offer that includes Veselainen and other parts.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

That's really interesting especially when you consider that almost every player who signed an offersheet ever has been traded within a year after signing. That's not saying I think we are getting Aho just an observation. We almost most definitely are not getting Aho but perhaps the Canes are checking in on what the cost of Petry or Tatar would be.

Yeah, id still love to have Aho but i think its incredibly unlikely unless we were to heavily overpay (Ie Tatar + JK + Mete + Pick) or something.

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Two more rumors:

- RDS reporting that the Pens contacted the Habs about Max Domi but were told by Bergevin that he was not available. If you're not willing to entertain offers, one that's a dumb move as a GM but two it would indicate he probably isn't being shopped...

- someone named Maxim Guerin, who claims to be an AHL scout, says there have been talks between Wpg and Mtl about Petry but that MB has told Wpg he isn't doing anything until at least another week has passed and he can better gauge his team's place in the standings. Guerin also claims the Jets have already submitted a decent offer that includes Veselainen and other parts.

Yeah, even without hearing that report from the Pens I would have considered Domi to be on MB's "untouchable" list.  I also agree with you - that no player is so untouchable that you shouldnt at least listen to offers.  No one. It may be impossible to fathom a deal where you give up a player but who knows what they are offering until you listen? Im sure Nashville wasnt considering moving Weber until they hear PK was available. Poile said he had to "think on it" for a whole day.  He didnt just refuse to listen to it outright. That's foolishness for any GM.  

The Winnipeg rumour is quite interesting.  If true, it makes you think that Mb will potentially move Petry this year (if we're out of the playoff picture by TD) or maybe this summer if not.   By next year Fleury may be more ready, Brook may be ready and the Juulsen situation will be clearer so its entirely possibly MB considers moving Petry with 1 year left on his contract the same way he moved Patches. 

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Two more rumors:

See to me Veselainen and a first etc is not good enough to lose Petry. I want a prospect that is near certain to be a top 6/4 and has at least some chance of becoming elite. 

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

See to me Veselainen and a first etc is not good enough to lose Petry. I want a prospect that is near certain to be a top 6/4 and has at least some chance of becoming elite. 

I would assume there's 3 parts to the deal.   Veselainen, pick + Kovacevid or Stanley.   I dont think they'd give us Heinola (but we could dream)

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Just now, maas_art said:

I would assume there's 3 parts to the deal.   Veselainen, pick + Kovacevid or Stanley.   I dont think they'd give us Heinola (but we could dream)

I also wouldn't do it for just Veselainen and a 1st. The only upside to the 1st rounder is it would have to be non-protected and would have a chance at being a lottery pick. But Veselainen is to me, a mid-level prospect who projects as maybe a middle 6 player. That's not good enough to give up the best D man available at the deadline and a guy who is signed to a reasonable deal next year too. For me, it would have to be something like a 1st, Veselainen, and Heinola. Anything less and I don't know that it's worth it to us. We could always just wait til next year to make a trade if there isn't one we like, so the ball would be in Winnipeg's court to make a good offer. This isn't a case where we have a pending UFA and have to look at taking the best offer.

36 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I also agree that nobody should be “unavailable”. But I also don’t necessarily interpret the use of the words “unavailable” to be anymore than posturing. It’s a way of making clear that whatever dinky dunk trade Pittsburgh was planning on offering up wouldn’t even come close. If Pitts is really interested, it’ll have to be an offer too good to resist, or not to waste our time. Art of the deal, my friends.

20 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I also agree that nobody should be “unavailable”. But I also don’t necessarily interpret the use of the words “unavailable” to be anymore than posturing. It’s a way of making clear that whatever dinky dunk trade Pittsburgh was planning on offering up wouldn’t even come close. If Pitts is really interested, it’ll have to be an offer too good to resist, or not to waste our time. Art of the deal, my friends.

Then say "make me an offer I can't refuse, we have no reason to deal him." Don't say he's "unavailable" and shut the door completely.

33 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Cant be art of the deal if he wont listen.  Maybe its posturing but MB's told people that if they call asking about players like "_____" he will just put down the phone. Thats not hardball, thats cotton balls in the ears!

• H_T_L locked this topic