The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

3 minutes ago, claremont said:

I would argue Tatar is better than Jason Zucker and minny wild got a first and their prospect Cale Addison and the throwin Galchenyuk from Pittsburgh

So Tatar should not be going for anything less - hello Oilers? 

Addison was a 2nd rounder but he was Pittsburgh's best D prospect. The thing about Rutherford is that he will actually trade his picks and prospects though. Isn't afraid to go all in.

Rumors are that other teams could be willing to do the same. Carolina's got 2 first's if I recall (I think they have the Leafs' one from the Marleau trade, albeit don't remember if it's this year's pick) and are thought t have made one available. Vegas rumored to be willing to part with theirs as well, and so could Winnipeg, Washington, Tampa, St. Louis, Colorado, and Boston. There are teams to deal with here, and the first round is thought to be deep this year, so even a mid-round 1st could be worthwhile to us.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Addison was a 2nd rounder but he was Pittsburgh's best D prospect. The thing about Rutherford is that he will actually trade his picks and prospects though. Isn't afraid to go all in.

Right but when you've got Crosby, Malkin & co you kind of have no other choice.  Their window is closing & he might as well try while he can. 

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Rumors are that other teams could be willing to do the same. Carolina's got 2 first's if I recall (I think they have the Leafs' one from the Marleau trade, albeit don't remember if it's this year's pick) and are thought t have made one available. Vegas rumored to be willing to part with theirs as well, and so could Winnipeg, Washington, Tampa, St. Louis, Colorado, and Boston. There are teams to deal with here, and the first round is thought to be deep this year, so even a mid-round 1st could be worthwhile to us.

Most of the above teams 1st will be late 1st round picks not even middle. Other than Winnipeg all are currently play off teams most top teams , so maybe a 25-31st pick.

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

Right but when you've got Crosby, Malkin & co you kind of have no other choice.  Their window is closing & he might as well try while he can. 

Also easier to trade for wingers at the deadline than to find a 1C or 1LHD, where our holes have been. But that said, plenty of teams that don't go all in when they have a shot. Pittsburgh has apparently only kept their 1st rounder twice in the past 7 years... my point being that Pit is a team that would be willing to trade away 1st rounders and prospects. There are others who could do the same.

5 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Most of the above teams 1st will be late 1st round picks not even middle. Other than Winnipeg all are currently play off teams most top teams , so maybe a 25-31st pick.

Sure, but you take a gamble. Any of those teams could also go out in the 1st round, even if they make the playoffs, so you could also get a 19th overall pick or a 21st overall pick too (which would be mid-1st round). If a team like Edm or Cal or Nas or the Isles or Car deal their picks, they could be lottery choices or mid-teens as well. In any case, we're not getting a top 5 lottery chance pick for Tatar, so the decision is whether Tatar for 1 more year at a reasonable cap hit is better than a mid-late 1st and a top prospect.

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Sure, but you take a gamble. Any of those teams could also go out in the 1st round, even if they make the playoffs, so you could also get a 19th overall pick or a 21st overall pick too (which would be mid-1st round). If a team like Edm or Cal or Nas or the Isles or Car deal their picks, they could be lottery choices or mid-teens as well. In any case, we're not getting a top 5 lottery chance pick for Tatar, so the decision is whether Tatar for 1 more year at a reasonable cap hit is better than a mid-late 1st and a top prospect.

At this point, I think that's how Bergevin sees it and he's not going pull off any major trades at the deadline. We've had ridiculous injuries this season but were generally able to compete when healthy. That's not meant as an excuse, it just shows that we're not deep enough yet to replace key players, but it was a factor nonetheless. Realistically, Bergevin needs results now and late-ish 1st rounders or prospects aren't going to deliver right away. I think he genuinely likes this roster and it's more likely that he'll go for more of a hockey trade during the offseason than being a real seller at the deadline. I'm not saying that's the right move but I'd be surprised to see anything major. Additionally, our prospect pool looks fine in comparison to other teams, even though there have been a ton of injuries (Struble, Norlinder, Hillis, Juulsen, Ikonen, Olofsson, Houde, Teasdale, and Fairbrother all missed/will miss significant time, which is just crazy when you think about how many guys we've also lost at the NHL/AHL season this season). You can never have enough prospects but we also don't have a huge need to stockpile them right now, so any offer for Tatar, Petry, et al. would really have to blow you out of the water, which probably isn't going to happen. So yeah, essentially we're back to where we started. Rinse, repeat, wait for prospects to develop, and there's always next season :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, ChiLla said:

At this point, I think that's how Bergevin sees it and he's not going pull off any major trades at the deadline. We've had ridiculous injuries this season but were generally able to compete when healthy. That's not meant as an excuse, it just shows that we're not deep enough yet to replace key players, but it was a factor nonetheless. Realistically, Bergevin needs results now and late-ish 1st rounders or prospects aren't going to deliver right away. I think he genuinely likes this roster and it's more likely that he'll go for more of a hockey trade during the offseason than being a real seller at the deadline. I'm not saying that's the right move but I'd be surprised to see anything major. Additionally, our prospect pool looks fine in comparison to other teams, even though there have been a ton of injuries (Struble, Norlinder, Hillis, Juulsen, Ikonen, Olofsson, Houde, Teasdale, and Fairbrother all missed/will miss significant time, which is just crazy when you think about how many guys we've also lost at the NHL/AHL season this season). You can never have enough prospects but we also don't have a huge need to stockpile them right now, so any offer for Tatar, Petry, et al. would really have to blow you out of the water, which probably isn't going to happen. So yeah, essentially we're back to where we started. Rinse, repeat, wait for prospects to develop, and there's always next season :rolleyes:

The bolded part is key to me.  We have a very solid prospect pool and I agree we really dont need to add tons of guys - but - i would feel a lot better if we added 1 or 2 high end guys.  We have a number of prospects that i believe could still be 2nd - 4th line players or #3-6 dmen. We have a lot of guys i think should be NHL regulars... but how many willl be top pairing guys? How many will be first liners?  Thats my concern right now.   Suzuki looks legit. Kotkaniemi, i believe management still think he'll be the next Patrice Bergeron.  Caufield, Romanov, Brooks -maybe these guys will be top line players but maybe not.  Its really tough to say at this point (as it always is with prospects) but while overall depth is good, Its the high end talent i am a little worried about. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

The bolded part is key to me.  We have a very solid prospect pool and I agree we really dont need to add tons of guys - but - i would feel a lot better if we added 1 or 2 high end guys.  We have a number of prospects that i believe could still be 2nd - 4th line players or #3-6 dmen. We have a lot of guys i think should be NHL regulars... but how many willl be top pairing guys? How many will be first liners?  Thats my concern right now.   Suzuki looks legit. Kotkaniemi, i believe management still think he'll be the next Patrice Bergeron.  Caufield, Romanov, Brooks -maybe these guys will be top line players but maybe not.  Its really tough to say at this point (as it always is with prospects) but while overall depth is good, Its the high end talent i am a little worried about. 

That said unless you are picking top 5 maybe top 10 , you're probably not getting high end talent , unless you're lucky and someone is overlooked by others . Which does happen late in the 1st or early in the second sometimes. Giving up a Tatar or Petry though they both are talented and proven so a late pick probably won't replace them.

55 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

That said unless you are picking top 5 maybe top 10 , you're probably not getting high end talent , unless you're lucky and someone is overlooked by others . Which does happen late in the 1st or early in the second sometimes. Giving up a Tatar or Petry though they both are talented and proven so a late pick probably won't replace them.

True. Its very very difficult to trade for that type of player but it does happen. In Suzuki we got a top end blue-chip prospect, but we did give up one of the top goal scorers in the league to get him (albeit after a poor year). 

I think if we want to get that elite type prospect - heiskanen, byram, boqvist, etc - you will likely need to give up a proven, top player.  I agree that Tatar doesnt cut it - probably not petry either - unless, the team is going all in, knowing they will need a full rebuild soon. A team like Pittsburgh would fit the bill (although they have already just made a big move) maybe colorado would consider moving Byram if they feel they are ready to contend, not sure but it would cost you Drouin, my guess.

I feel like you could potentially get that top prospect (not all but some will be available for the right price) but it may cost you Drouin or Domi or a combination (Tatar + Mete) etc. 

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

I don’t disagree so you need at least 2 players probably 3 in return in picks/prospect. IMO it’s easier to replace a Tatar than Petry who’s a 1-2 defense pairing but it won’t be immediate and you have to be patient to wait on development. I’m hoping that with McDavid down, that GM Holland makes a strong enough offer for Tatar and includes Broberg or Bouchard. 
We really need another mid-round prospect like Suzuki to step up and hopefully Caufield can deliver. 
The alternative of correcting a failure to draft high end talent or because we keep finishing with low round picks with no hidden nuggets, is to buy free agent high end talent which brings different risks of term and Cap expense 

Wouldn’t you rather take more chances with the  draft lottery? 

28 minutes ago, claremont said:

I don’t disagree so you need at least 2 players probably 3 in return in picks/prospect. IMO it’s easier to replace a Tatar than Petry who’s a 1-2 defense pairing but it won’t be immediate and you have to be patient to wait on development. I’m hoping that with McDavid down, that GM Holland makes a strong enough offer for Tatar and includes Broberg or Bouchard. 
We really need another mid-round prospect like Suzuki to step up and hopefully Caufield can deliver. 
The alternative of correcting a failure to draft high end talent or because we keep finishing with low round picks with no hidden nuggets, is to buy free agent high end talent which brings different risks of term and Cap expense 

Wouldn’t you rather take more chances with the  draft lottery? 

kyperos reporting that Weber has a foot injury that may require season ending surgery and future is in question. Petry is not going anywhere now.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entertainment/shea-webers-season-reportedly-over-future-in-question-due-to-foot-injury-182255463.html

19 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

kyperos reporting that Weber has a foot injury that may require season ending surgery and future is in question. Petry is not going anywhere now.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entertainment/shea-webers-season-reportedly-over-future-in-question-due-to-foot-injury-182255463.html

Potentially terrible news - he was having a superb season and solid captain and leader - I hope he gets the best medical treatment possible 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Or you go all in & move Petry knowing that without both of them, your chances of a lottery pick are pretty high.....  but likely not. lol. 

41 minutes ago, claremont said:

Potentially terrible news - he was having a superb season and solid captain and leader - I hope he gets the best medical treatment possible 

Agree.  Really feel for him. Im going to do that drawing of him i keep putting off.  Needs good vibes. 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Ugh, sounds like it's the same foot that required surgery and kept him out of the lineup last season. Potentially another long-term injury, just what we needed.

12 minutes ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

What exactly is meant by "future is in question"? Could this be career ending? If so, what happens to his salary and, more importantly, the cap hit?

All speculation on his foot - whether it is bone or ligaments there is no disclosure as one could expect to protect Weber’s rights. It would be career threatening perhaps if there is not enough bone or ligaments to protect the stress level being applied to it and we all know Weber is a gym monster so he will do everything he can to rehab. 
Either way there is cap relief thru long term injury reserve or if Weber retires there is significant chargeback repercussions to Nashville but those are secondary issues 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Or you go all in & move Petry knowing that without both of them, your chances of a lottery pick are pretty high.....  but likely not. lol. 

A competent GM would do just that.    They'd realize Weber being gone rest of this season means no post season, and he will likely miss a portion of next season and possibly the rest of his career.     Given all the circumstances (draft in Montreal, generational player up  for grabs, post seasons at <2%, possible career ending injury to Weber etc) ... you trade Petry, Price, Tatar for as many picks/prospects as you can get

13 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

A competent GM would do just that.    They'd realize Weber being gone rest of this season means no post season, and he will likely miss a portion of next season and possibly the rest of his career.     Given all the circumstances (draft in Montreal, generational player up  for grabs, post seasons at <2%, possible career ending injury to Weber etc) ... you trade Petry, Price, Tatar for as many picks/prospects as you can get

But, you have to trade them to the right team (s). 

5 hours ago, claremont said:

All speculation on his foot - whether it is bone or ligaments there is no disclosure as one could expect to protect Weber’s rights. It would be career threatening perhaps if there is not enough bone or ligaments to protect the stress level being applied to it and we all know Weber is a gym monster so he will do everything he can to rehab. 
Either way there is cap relief thru long term injury reserve or if Weber retires there is significant chargeback repercussions to Nashville but those are secondary issues 

There would be long term injury relief and Weber would still collect his paycheck for the next 6 years if he can't play but I believe the Habs could still trade his contract.(Nathan Horton, David Clarkson are 2 examples) If he retires it is as you say, Nashville is on the hook. 

Leading the Chase?

Michael Russo of The Athletic reports the Toronto Maple Leafs "appear to be the most interested party" in Minnesota Wild defenceman Matt Dumba, though he wonders if the team can put together a package strong enough to entice general manager Bill Guerin to move the 25-year-old.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported earlier this week that Guerin is willing to listen to offers on Dumba or fellow defenceman Jonas Brodin, but is looking to acquire top-line centre, a No. 2 and more for either player. Russo believes the Leafs could offer Alex Kerfoot up, but would have to package more pieces as well to complete a deal. 

Dumba, who's signed through 2022-23 at a $6 million cap hit, has four goals and 20 points in 57 games this season. He posted a career-high 14 goals and 50 points with the Wild during the 2017-18 season.

According to Russo, the Maple Leafs, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knights, Winnipeg Jets, Columbus Blue Jackets and Montreal Canadiens have all reached out to the Wild regarding either Dumba or Brodin.

Russo believes the Canadiens 'would likely' part with centre Max Domi in a deal for Brodin, since the Canadiens have a surplus at the position and a need on the blueline. 

Brodin, signed through next season at a $4.17 million cap hit, has two goals and 24 points in 57 games this season. 

Domi, set to become a restricted free agent, carries a $3.15 million cap hit this season. In 59 games, he has 13 goals and 36 points after posting 28 goals and 72 points in 82 games a year ago.

Just now, H_T_L said:

Leading the Chase?

Michael Russo of The Athletic reports the Toronto Maple Leafs "appear to be the most interested party" in Minnesota Wild defenceman Matt Dumba, though he wonders if the team can put together a package strong enough to entice general manager Bill Guerin to move the 25-year-old.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported earlier this week that Guerin is willing to listen to offers on Dumba or fellow defenceman Jonas Brodin, but is looking to acquire top-line centre, a No. 2 and more for either player. Russo believes the Leafs could offer Alex Kerfoot up, but would have to package more pieces as well to complete a deal. 

Dumba, who's signed through 2022-23 at a $6 million cap hit, has four goals and 20 points in 57 games this season. He posted a career-high 14 goals and 50 points with the Wild during the 2017-18 season.

According to Russo, the Maple Leafs, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knights, Winnipeg Jets, Columbus Blue Jackets and Montreal Canadiens have all reached out to the Wild regarding either Dumba or Brodin.

Russo believes the Canadiens 'would likely' part with centre Max Domi in a deal for Brodin, since the Canadiens have a surplus at the position and a need on the blueline. 

Brodin, signed through next season at a $4.17 million cap hit, has two goals and 24 points in 57 games this season. 

Domi, set to become a restricted free agent, carries a $3.15 million cap hit this season. In 59 games, he has 13 goals and 36 points after posting 28 goals and 72 points in 82 games a year ago.

Yeah, I read it in The Athletic and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes for us. I'd hate to lose Domi but acquiring a solid top 4 guy like Brodin has its price, he's good and automatically becomes our #1 LD I guess. Brodin/Weber, Chiarot/Petry, Mete/Fleury on the backend works for me. In that case I'd hold on to Tatar and Kovalchuk though, as otherwise we'd be pretty thin on scoring wingers. In fact we could use another solid RW for next year because I doubt that Caufield will be ready.

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, I read it in The Athletic and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes for us. I'd hate to lose Domi but acquiring a solid top 4 guy like Brodin has its price, he's good and automatically becomes our #1 LD I guess. Brodin/Weber, Chiarot/Petry, Mete/Fleury on the backend works for me. In that case I'd hold on to Tatar and Kovalchuk though, as otherwise we'd be pretty thin on scoring wingers. In fact we could use another solid RW for next year because I doubt that Caufield will be ready.

Brodin for some Hab pieces - Domi or other, doesn’t have to be made prior to the trade deadline unless the Wild still think they have playoff chances - the timing of this deal seems better suited to post-season IMO 

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Im surprising Russo believes Domi is available.  I am not sure MB would agree. Did he not call Domi "untouchable" recently?    Im not saying he should be, but I feel like MB looks at the domi-chucky trade as a huge win & therefore unlikely to move Max.  On the flipside, there's some smoke that Max & Julien arent seeing eye to eye lately so... maybe. 

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Brodin is exactly the sort of player our blueline needs.   He immediately steps onto that top pair, allows Weber to play a safer game and - i think - extend's Weber's usefulness. Gone are the days that Weber can easily cover for his partner, he needs a guy who is better than him & Brodin is.   Obviously that means the cost would be high. I could see Domi being of interest but Minnesota actually needs a bunch of help. I could see them having interest in a package of, say, Drouin+Mete+Evans.   Maybe we get an additional piece from them too. 

3 hours ago, claremont said:

Brodin for some Hab pieces - Domi or other, doesn’t have to be made prior to the trade deadline unless the Wild still think they have playoff chances - the timing of this deal seems better suited to post-season IMO 

Agree, this sort of a deal is usually made in the offseason.  That said, they do still have a chance, so i could see them making a move if they believe it addresses their needs to make the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I wouldn't mind Brodin, but I would actually prefer to see us go after Dumba if we had the choice. And here's why:

1. He's a year younger, which isn't a big big deal but helps...

2. More importantly, he's signed for 3 more years past this season, whereas Brodin is only signed for next year. Considering the fact we're out of contention this year, we'd be essentially getting Brodin for one year, after which he becomes a UFA in the same year that we already have issues with Tatar, Gallagher, Petry, Danault, and Armia hitting UFA status. With the unknown of what Brodin would be asking for, as well as the fact that we may not be his first choice for where to sign in a year, it may not be wise to acquire him. I can bet that a 27 year-old UFA will be a reasonably hot commodity come the summer of 2021, especially with teams having to expose D men in the expansion draft in that year as well. Brodin is going to get paid.

3. Dumba has more offensive upside than Brodin, and frankly we don't have much offensive production from the left side of our D, so does it really solve our left D problems to add another non-offensive guy there?

4. Dumba is a righty. And yes, today as we speak left D is a bigger problem for us than the right side, but if we are worried about Weber declining in the near future and Petry hitting free agency, the right side is just as murky going forward. Juulsen's future is in doubt. Brook isn't blooming as fast as some predicted. And Fleury looks like a 3rd-pairing guy. Conversely, you have Romanov, Mete, and Chiarot potentially here longer-term on the left, and maybe Norlinder or Harris in the mix too. So while our current depth is better on the right, our future depth may actually be better on the left, even though neither side has a clear dominant heir to lead the D corps. If you acquire Dumba, it gives you a guy who is in his prime and here for another three years and it frankly allows you to immediately move Weber or Petry in the off-season and acquire another asset.

In terms of what that asset could be... if we trade Domi for Dumba, then we still have Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, and potentially Poehling or Evans down the middle. We still have Tatar, Drouin, and possible Lehkonen, Byron, or Kovalchuk on the left side. We still have Gallagher, Armia, and one of Lehkonen, Kovalchuk, or Caufield down the right. And I'll reiterate that I still see Jesse Ylonen as a guy who could be here to help in maybe two years. So I think we have options. I'd agree with you that we could be due an upgrade on the right side after Gallagher, but if we retain Kovalchuk, that may be enough to tide us over until Caufield is ready. Left D would remain the most pressing need, and so for me, I'd come back to Domi for Dumba maybe opening up the option of dealing Weber or Petry for a LHD. We know Vegas likes Petry and that they've been up and down on Theodore. Is there a match there? Maybe we'd have to throw something else in to get the younger asset (2nd rounder?), but I'd personally be thrilled about something like

Theodore-Dumba

Romanov-Weber

One of Mete/Chiarot paired with one of Fleury/Juulsen/Brook

Suddenly you have two big minute eaters in their primes to play on your top pairing.

Or maybe if Carolina likes Petry, they'd be willing to part with someone like Jake Bean or Haydn Fleury or Jacob Slavin... we might even be able to ask for more than Bean for Petry, maybe adding a draft pick as well... but I'd see Duma giving us a younger guy on a longer deal and who then gives us flexibility to make another move with Weber or Petry to address the left side.

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I wouldn't mind Brodin, but I would actually prefer to see us go after Dumba if we had the choice. And here's why:

1. He's a year younger, which isn't a big big deal but helps...

2. More importantly, he's signed for 3 more years past this season, whereas Brodin is only signed for next year. Considering the fact we're out of contention this year, we'd be essentially getting Brodin for one year, after which he becomes a UFA in the same year that we already have issues with Tatar, Gallagher, Petry, Danault, and Armia hitting UFA status. With the unknown of what Brodin would be asking for, as well as the fact that we may not be his first choice for where to sign in a year, it may not be wise to acquire him. I can bet that a 27 year-old UFA will be a reasonably hot commodity come the summer of 2021, especially with teams having to expose D men in the expansion draft in that year as well. Brodin is going to get paid.

3. Dumba has more offensive upside than Brodin, and frankly we don't have much offensive production from the left side of our D, so does it really solve our left D problems to add another non-offensive guy there?

4. Dumba is a righty. And yes, today as we speak left D is a bigger problem for us than the right side, but if we are worried about Weber declining in the near future and Petry hitting free agency, the right side is just as murky going forward. Juulsen's future is in doubt. Brook isn't blooming as fast as some predicted. And Fleury looks like a 3rd-pairing guy. Conversely, you have Romanov, Mete, and Chiarot potentially here longer-term on the left, and maybe Norlinder or Harris in the mix too. So while our current depth is better on the right, our future depth may actually be better on the left, even though neither side has a clear dominant heir to lead the D corps. If you acquire Dumba, it gives you a guy who is in his prime and here for another three years and it frankly allows you to immediately move Weber or Petry in the off-season and acquire another asset.

In terms of what that asset could be... if we trade Domi for Dumba, then we still have Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, and potentially Poehling or Evans down the middle. We still have Tatar, Drouin, and possible Lehkonen, Byron, or Kovalchuk on the left side. We still have Gallagher, Armia, and one of Lehkonen, Kovalchuk, or Caufield down the right. And I'll reiterate that I still see Jesse Ylonen as a guy who could be here to help in maybe two years. So I think we have options. I'd agree with you that we could be due an upgrade on the right side after Gallagher, but if we retain Kovalchuk, that may be enough to tide us over until Caufield is ready. Left D would remain the most pressing need, and so for me, I'd come back to Domi for Dumba maybe opening up the option of dealing Weber or Petry for a LHD. We know Vegas likes Petry and that they've been up and down on Theodore. Is there a match there? Maybe we'd have to throw something else in to get the younger asset (2nd rounder?), but I'd personally be thrilled about something like

Theodore-Dumba

Romanov-Weber

One of Mete/Chiarot paired with one of Fleury/Juulsen/Brook

Suddenly you have two big minute eaters in their primes to play on your top pairing.

Or maybe if Carolina likes Petry, they'd be willing to part with someone like Jake Bean or Haydn Fleury or Jacob Slavin... we might even be able to ask for more than Bean for Petry, maybe adding a draft pick as well... but I'd see Duma giving us a younger guy on a longer deal and who then gives us flexibility to make another move with Weber or Petry to address the left side.

While I love your idea, it would require multiple moves from MB - which scares the heck out of me.  I think the safer bet is to get the LD but who knows, I think MB is still planning to be a buyer at the deadline. 

• H_T_L locked this topic