The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

In terms of what that asset could be... if we trade Domi for Dumba, then we still have Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, and potentially Poehling or Evans down the middle. We still have Tatar, Drouin, and possible Lehkonen, Byron, or Kovalchuk on the left side. We still have Gallagher, Armia, and one of Lehkonen, Kovalchuk, or Caufield down the right. And I'll reiterate that I still see Jesse Ylonen as a guy who could be here to help in maybe two years. So I think we have options. I'd agree with you that we could be due an upgrade on the right side after Gallagher, but if we retain Kovalchuk, that may be enough to tide us over until Caufield is ready. Left D would remain the most pressing need, and so for me, I'd come back to Domi for Dumba maybe opening up the option of dealing Weber or Petry for a LHD. We know Vegas likes Petry and that they've been up and down on Theodore. Is there a match there? Maybe we'd have to throw something else in to get the younger asset (2nd rounder?), but I'd personally be thrilled about something like

Theodore-Dumba

Romanov-Weber

One of Mete/Chiarot paired with one of Fleury/Juulsen/Brook

Suddenly you have two big minute eaters in their primes to play on your top pairing.

Or maybe if Carolina likes Petry, they'd be willing to part with someone like Jake Bean or Haydn Fleury or Jacob Slavin... we might even be able to ask for more than Bean for Petry, maybe adding a draft pick as well... but I'd see Duma giving us a younger guy on a longer deal and who then gives us flexibility to make another move with Weber or Petry to address the left side.

I also like the idea of getting Dumba and using Petry to acquire a LHD but I don't think you'll be able to get Theodore or Slavin, they're the #1 guys on their teams if you go by TOI and both CAR and VGK still have very good chances of making the playoffs, so they have little incentive of trading those guys. Bean or Fleury, sure, but in that case I'd also lean towards Brodin because you know what you'll get with him.

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I also like the idea of getting Dumba and using Petry to acquire a LHD but I don't think you'll be able to get Theodore or Slavin, they're the #1 guys on their teams if you go by TOI and both CAR and VGK still have very good chances of making the playoffs, so they have little incentive of trading those guys. Bean or Fleury, sure, but in that case I'd also lean towards Brodin because you know what you'll get with him.

Theodore may be heavily used, but he's had his issues with Vegas. I don't know what the coaching change did for that, but he was scratched a few times over the past couple of years and told he had to shore up his game. I don't think we'd get Theodore for Petry straight up, but like I said, maybe if we throw something else in. Petry is as good as Theodore now, but he's more of a win-now guy, whereas Theodore is a long-term guy. In any case, just a thought about a guy who has been on the outs where he is, even if his price tag may be high. If the price tag for Petry is rumored to be a 1st and two good prospects, then selling "a 1st and two good prospects" and another asset to Vegas should be about the right price for Theodore...

Personally, I'd rather take Bean over Brodin. He's 5 years younger, he's got more offensive upside, and the big thing of course is that Brodin is only signed for one more year, which is a write-off year for us anyways IMO. If Brodin were signed for 3-4 more years at 4.5M, then sure, that's a different discussion. But I'll take the younger, cost-controlled asset with a higher upside, even if he's less proven.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Theodore may be heavily used, but he's had his issues with Vegas. I don't know what the coaching change did for that, but he was scratched a few times over the past couple of years and told he had to shore up his game. I don't think we'd get Theodore for Petry straight up, but like I said, maybe if we throw something else in. Petry is as good as Theodore now, but he's more of a win-now guy, whereas Theodore is a long-term guy. In any case, just a thought about a guy who has been on the outs where he is, even if his price tag may be high. If the price tag for Petry is rumored to be a 1st and two good prospects, then selling "a 1st and two good prospects" and another asset to Vegas should be about the right price for Theodore...

Personally, I'd rather take Bean over Brodin. He's 5 years younger, he's got more offensive upside, and the big thing of course is that Brodin is only signed for one more year, which is a write-off year for us anyways IMO. If Brodin were signed for 3-4 more years at 4.5M, then sure, that's a different discussion. But I'll take the younger, cost-controlled asset with a higher upside, even if he's less proven.

No no, we're on the same page, it's a good idea and would definitely make sense for us. I like Theodore and the value is also there for both teams, I just think it's doubtful that Vegas would be interested in shaking up their roster so close to the playoffs. This could be more of an offseason move is all I'm saying, and maybe even better options could present themsevles at the deadline.

Brodin's expiring contract is a valid concern and I have no idea what his plans are. European players usually enjoy Montreal for various reasons but he might prefer to join a contender to have a shot at the cup, which we won't be able to offer him in the immediate future. On the other hand, Bean seems legit going by his numbers alone, but we have no real idea on how his game translates to the NHL. I personally haven't seen him play and therefore can't really form an opinion either way, but it's a bit of a risk. With Brodin, you're acquiring a proven player right in his prime capable of eating 20+ minutes per night, albeit at a much higher cap hit if you can resign him.

hahaha I told you guys, I know this team. domi is in the black book, mark my words. who knows if there is anything to any of this, but I am really high on dumba. the numbers haven't shown it yet, but that kid has SKILLS. great puck handler, absolute missile of a shot, big hitter....id love to have him. 

anyway nothing is happening until the summer at the very least, thompson will get traded for a 3rd rounder or whatever, and maybe 1 or 2 of the other plugs if anyone wants them, and that will be it. 

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

No no, we're on the same page, it's a good idea and would definitely make sense for us. I like Theodore and the value is also there for both teams, I just think it's doubtful that Vegas would be interested in shaking up their roster so close to the playoffs. This could be more of an offseason move is all I'm saying, and maybe even better options could present themsevles at the deadline.

Brodin's expiring contract is a valid concern and I have no idea what his plans are. European players usually enjoy Montreal for various reasons but he might prefer to join a contender to have a shot at the cup, which we won't be able to offer him in the immediate future. On the other hand, Bean seems legit going by his numbers alone, but we have no real idea on how his game translates to the NHL. I personally haven't seen him play and therefore can't really form an opinion either way, but it's a bit of a risk. With Brodin, you're acquiring a proven player right in his prime capable of eating 20+ minutes per night, albeit at a much higher cap hit if you can resign him.

Sure, Brodin is less of a gamble. It just doesn't make much sense for us to take that bet when the year we'd be benefiting from his low money contract is one in which we likely won't be competitive. If you're the Caps or Lightning or Leafs or so on and you think one piece puts you over the top for the Cup, then you add a Brodin to be the best you can be for this year and next year. But he's essentially in a similar boat to Petry and Tatar contract-wise, even if he's a bit younger. You're still gauging whether it's worth renewing him on a long-term deal for big money, and frankly I don't think he fills the biggest need of being able to generate some offence on the left side of the D.

In Bean's case, he's on the fringe of breaking into the NHL. He could easily be a top pairing guy within 3 years. But you need to take the gamble of acquiring him before he hits that status, or he won't be available any more. It's like Tampa grabbing Sergachev from us before he was established. If he had already proven he could play 20 minutes a night and score 40 points a season, he'd be worth much more in a trade than Drouin.

With Bergevin and Mellanby in Colorado tonight to watch the Avs-Lightning game in person, rumors abound that they are scouting Colorado. The targets there would be 1. Byram and 2. Timmins (albeit with a significant injury history), but neither guy plays in Colorado yet, so they'd have to be scouting someone on the NHL roster. Colorado has a great top line, but with Kadri and now Calvert injured, they're a little thin up front after that. They have Burakovsky and Donskoi playing well on the 2nd and 3rd lines down the right, but they are weak on the left wing, where Valeri Nichushkin and Matt Nieto are on the 2nd and 3rd lines and even down the middle where Bellemare is on the 3rd line. On D, they could probably upgrade on Zadorov or Johnson on the right side. And with Grubauer out, they are a bit soft in goal, although I doubt they'd look at Price as a deadline acquisition. So you would have to think

1. The Avs have interest in Tatar more than anyone else, with an outside shot that Petry or Domi is their target.

2. Guys on the NHL roster that MB could be scouting could include Vladislav Kamenev, Tyson Jost, or Nikita Zadorov.

With Bergevin and Mellanby in Colorado tonight to watch the Avs-Lightning game in person, rumors abound that they are scouting Colorado. The targets there would be 1. Byram and 2. Timmins (albeit with a significant injury history), but neither guy plays in Colorado yet, so they'd have to be scouting someone on the NHL roster. Colorado has a great top line, but with Kadri and now Calvert injured, they're a little thin up front after that. They have Burakovsky and Donskoi playing well on the 2nd and 3rd lines down the right, but they are weak on the left wing, where Valeri Nichushkin and Matt Nieto are on the 2nd and 3rd lines and even down the middle where Bellemare is on the 3rd line. On D, they could probably upgrade on Zadorov or Johnson on the right side. And with Grubauer out, they are a bit soft in goal, although I doubt they'd look at Price as a deadline acquisition. So you would have to think

1. The Avs have interest in Tatar more than anyone else, with an outside shot that Petry or Domi is their target.

2. Guys on the NHL roster that MB could be scouting could include Vladislav Kamenev, Tyson Jost, or Nikita Zadorov.

I still think, even with his recent injury, the Avs are very interested in Drouin.  They tried to get him from TB before we did and they've apparently enquired.  The McKinnon Drouin connection is something they supposedly really want to reunite.   

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If it's Tatar, Petry or Drouin you would think MB would want Byram + 1st + Burakovski, I don't think he could get that with one of those 3 alone but purhaps if he threw in a 2nd or 3rd. I also wouldn't mind Most however he hasn't shown he can be top 6 material yet so would want an additional pick as well

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

If it's Tatar, Petry or Drouin you would think MB would want Byram + 1st + Burakovski, I don't think he could get that with one of those 3 alone but purhaps if he threw in a 2nd or 3rd. I also wouldn't mind Most however he hasn't shown he can be top 6 material yet so would want an additional pick as well

I dont see any situation where the Avs trade Burakovski to be honest. He's young and has really blossomed this year.  The point of them going after a guy like Tatar or Drouin or Petry (and giving up pretty much a sure think in Byram) is that they want to win NOW.  Burakovski helps them do that.  

I do think there's a fit there though.  I could see them trading Byram + Pick + mid-level player or another prospect for a guy like Drouin or Petry or Tatar. The quality of pick / player would vary depending upon which of those guys they got though. 

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Trading Drouin would seem strange to me. He's probably our best young forward. It doesn't fit with "selling" it would be a hockey trade.

Its about positional strength though.  LW is probably our strongest position - we have a ton of guys who can play  LW.   Drouin, Tatar, Domi, Kovalchuk, Lehks, Poehling, Cousins, Thompson, Vejdemo, Hudon and even a few others.   Now, some of those guys are going to be centres (Poehling) and some play both wings (Lehks, Kovalchuk) or may not be with us long-term (Kovalchuk, Thompson, Tatar?) but it is, nevertheless, a position we are very strong at. 

If you can take a LW and turn him into a LHD via trade then i think anyone has to be considered.  The player you get back in return for Drouin or Domi would be considerably better than if you traded Lekhs or Cousin.   There's no question it would hurt to lose one of those guys but the time for MB to make passive trades and bargain bin pickups has gone. He needs to make a few impact trades to make this roster work. Right now there's too many holes and other areas we are strong. 

Having said that, i wholeheartedly agree with you: if you can trade a team Tatar +  vs. Drouin or Domi, for the same LHD return, i do it. If Colorado, for example, offers us Byram + 1st + (good) roster player  for either Drouin  or  Tatar + Mete  I take the second deal. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I dont see any situation where the Avs trade Burakovski to be honest. He's young and has really blossomed this year.  The point of them going after a guy like Tatar or Drouin or Petry (and giving up pretty much a sure think in Byram) is that they want to win NOW.  Burakovski helps them do that.  

I do think there's a fit there though.  I could see them trading Byram + Pick + mid-level player or another prospect for a guy like Drouin or Petry or Tatar. The quality of pick / player would vary depending upon which of those guys they got though. 

To be honest I would normally agree that them giving up Burakovski would be a long shot however if they are taking a top 6 forward like Drouin or Tatar or a top 4 RHD I don't see a Byram (an A level prospect that has struggled this year in the WHL) + 1st (would have to be unprotected) + Jost ( a middle six forward who has struggled frequently in his young career) as being enough of a return. If that's what they offer and they won't give up Burakovski then I would want a second 1st because none of those guys replaces what we are giving up and we take on all the risk in this trade.

10 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

To be honest I would normally agree that them giving up Burakovski would be a long shot however if they are taking a top 6 forward like Drouin or Tatar or a top 4 RHD I don't see a Byram (an A level prospect that has struggled this year in the WHL) + 1st (would have to be unprotected) + Jost ( a middle six forward who has struggled frequently in his young career) as being enough of a return. If that's what they offer and they won't give up Burakovski then I would want a second 1st because none of those guys replaces what we are giving up and we take on all the risk in this trade.

Struggled is probably a bit of a stretch. He's regressed a little but I suspect his coaches (possibly at the NHL level) have asked him to work on some things.  Ive seen him play in person a couple of times & he definitely looks like the real deal. I think Colorado is still real high on him too.  

I do agree that you'd want more. Im not sure what the Avs give up but if our deal includes one of Domi, Drouin or Petry I think them including Burakovski would be a latteral move. Sure maybe Drouin or Domi are a bit better, and maybe Petry addresses a need, but I suspect if they add players they want to do so without giving up too much on-roster talent if at all possible. 

Id be ok with going for a second prospect & pick.    Say Byram, Bowers and Pick for one of those 3 guys. I guess it really comes down to how much Colorado thinks they have a window.   Teams will give up just about any player if they feel they have a strong chance to win the cup.  Ask any Dallas exec & they'll tell you trading Iginla & 15 + all star seasons in Calgary for only a few seasons of Niewendyk was a great deal because it got them the cup. Iginla at that stage could not bring what Joe could.   

We need a team that thinks like that & is willing to give us a player who will be top end in a year or 2 vs. our prime-time player now. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Struggled is probably a bit of a stretch. He's regressed a little but I suspect his coaches (possibly at the NHL level) have asked him to work on some things.  Ive seen him play in person a couple of times & he definitely looks like the real deal. I think Colorado is still real high on him too.  

I do agree that you'd want more. Im not sure what the Avs give up but if our deal includes one of Domi, Drouin or Petry I think them including Burakovski would be a latteral move. Sure maybe Drouin or Domi are a bit better, and maybe Petry addresses a need, but I suspect if they add players they want to do so without giving up too much on-roster talent if at all possible. 

Id be ok with going for a second prospect & pick.    Say Byram, Bowers and Pick for one of those 3 guys. I guess it really comes down to how much Colorado thinks they have a window.   Teams will give up just about any player if they feel they have a strong chance to win the cup.  Ask any Dallas exec & they'll tell you trading Iginla & 15 + all star seasons in Calgary for only a few seasons of Niewendyk was a great deal because it got them the cup. Iginla at that stage could not bring what Joe could.   

We need a team that thinks like that & is willing to give us a player who will be top end in a year or 2 vs. our prime-time player now. 

The thing is though if Colorado wants to be a top contender this year they need our player more right now than we need either our player or their group of players/picks which makes our player more valuable. However I wouldn't be too pushy about it if I was making the trade just ask for say Byram + Burakovski + 1st if they reject it ask what their counter is and work back and forth until a deal is reached if Muzzin got 2 prospects and a 1st then Petry should get 2-1st + Byram + Bowers or Jost

Adrian Dater from the Colorado press said the Avs' 1st choice for an acquisition is Chris Kreider but it's known that the Bruins are also chasing him, and it's not clear whether NY even deals him. Dater says the Avs' second choice appears to be Tatar, which could explain why Bergevin was in Colorado yesterday.

Avs' fans seem to think they should be able to get Tatar for Graves or Zadorov and don't want to give up Byram or Newhook. But let's remember the Habs have all the power here. The Avs are missing Rantanen now for 2-3 months on top of missing Kadri and Calvert. There really aren't many guys we know about who could be available who can put up 25-30 goals or more a year. And with Tatar signed next year, there's no rush for Bergevin to act. We know Calgary and Edmonton have reportedly both asked about Tatar as well. Pittsburgh also asked but is presumably out after getting Zucker. But you wonder if other teams like Nashville, Tampa, Washington, Boston, the Islanders, Dallas, or Carolina could also inquire.

Bergevin shouldn't accept less than what Tampa gave up for Coleman, so I think any offer has to start with a 1st rounder plus one of Byram, Jost, or Newhook. Otherwise you hang up the phone.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Eric Engels says if Habs want to trade him, they should have no issue getting at least a 2nd and maybe more (maybe a 1st, maybe a 2nd and another asset). He states there are at least 5 teams he knows about who have asked Habs about Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk NEEDS to be traded. We picked him up for nothing. Let's turn him into a future asset. We're not making the post-season and there's no need to look at extending Kovalchuk based on 12 points in 20-ish games.

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Adrian Dater from the Colorado press said the Avs' 1st choice for an acquisition is Chris Kreider but it's known that the Bruins are also chasing him, and it's not clear whether NY even deals him. Dater says the Avs' second choice appears to be Tatar, which could explain why Bergevin was in Colorado yesterday.

Avs' fans seem to think they should be able to get Tatar for Graves or Zadorov and don't want to give up Byram or Newhook. But let's remember the Habs have all the power here. The Avs are missing Rantanen now for 2-3 months on top of missing Kadri and Calvert. There really aren't many guys we know about who could be available who can put up 25-30 goals or more a year. And with Tatar signed next year, there's no rush for Bergevin to act. We know Calgary and Edmonton have reportedly both asked about Tatar as well. Pittsburgh also asked but is presumably out after getting Zucker. But you wonder if other teams like Nashville, Tampa, Washington, Boston, the Islanders, Dallas, or Carolina could also inquire.

Bergevin shouldn't accept less than what Tampa gave up for Coleman, so I think any offer has to start with a 1st rounder plus one of Byram, Jost, or Newhook. Otherwise you hang up the phone.

No way I'm trading Tatar for a guy like Zadorov. And while Graves is really intriguing, he's playing with Makar if I'm not mistaken, so his numbers certainly won't be the same here. As you've said, the conversation starts with Byram/Newhook/Jost plus a 1st rounder, otherwise the Avs are welcome to try finding scoring help elsewhere.

As for Kovalchuk, if the potential return is indeed a 2nd rounder plus another asset or even a 1st rounder, we absolutely have to trade the guy.

5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

No way I'm trading Tatar for a guy like Zadorov. And while Graves is really intriguing, he's playing with Makar if I'm not mistaken, so his numbers certainly won't be the same here. As you've said, the conversation starts with Byram/Newhook/Jost plus a 1st rounder, otherwise the Avs are welcome to try finding scoring help elsewhere.

As for Kovalchuk, if the potential return is indeed a 2nd rounder plus another asset or even a 1st rounder, we absolutely have to trade the guy.

Zadorov-type players are ones you can get via free agency. They have very little trade value (except to contenders at the deadline). Graves isn't enough to compensate for Tatar. My gut feeling is that Sakic will offer Conor Timmins, who definitely has the higher-end potential but has a worrisome injury/concussion history as well. It wouldn't be a total loss to get Timmins plus a 1st, but in order Byram, Jost, and Newhook would be bigger prizes. You look at the Pens giving up Addison + a 1st (+ maybe Min still gets something else for trading Galchenyuk) for Zucker and Tampa giving up what could end up being a lottery 1st rounder and their most recent first round choice from last year for Coleman, and Tatar is way better than Coleman and probably a bit better than Zucker too. I see no reason for MB to settle for a B level prospect and late 1st rounder. If the 1st rounder is going to be a late one, then the prospect has to be one of the top ones coming back the other way. I wouldn't settle for anything less than one of Colorado's top 3. Otherwise, you go speak to Cal or Edm or Car or the Isles and you find a deal that includes a prospect and a 1st rounder that could be mid-round or lottery.

FWIW  per Ranaud Lavoie:

"Marc Bergevin is still in Denver and will be at the Avalanche game tonight. Islanders are in town."

You have to think something is in the works if he's still there watching.  Will it come to fruition? Who knows. But Im assuming they are talking... 

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:
FWIW  per Ranaud Lavoie:

"Marc Bergevin is still in Denver and will be at the Avalanche game tonight. Islanders are in town."

You have to think something is in the works if he's still there watching.  Will it come to fruition? Who knows. But Im assuming they are talking... 

I wonder who exactly Colorado is interested. Tatar I suppose. But maybe there's someone else. Drouin? Domi? Petry? Kovalchuk? THOMPSON? COUSINS? WEAL?

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:
FWIW  per Ranaud Lavoie:

Yeah, gotta figure he's scouting Colorado heavily for a trade, and we know Colorado media has linked Avs to both Tatar and Petry. It's a bit bizarre that he's scouting the NHL team though because the question remains who the Avs would relinquish from their current roster that also helps us. I don't see a great fit there, and the guy Bergevin absolutely needs to be targeting is Byram.

It would also make much less sense for it to be a Kovalchuk deal, since Kovy is rumored to be on the market for a 1st or for a 2nd and a prospect. None of that involves a roster player. Could theoretically be a Domi or Drouin move too, but it would seem more likely regardless that it's a serious move and not just a UFA dump for a pick.

Yeah, gotta figure he's scouting Colorado heavily for a trade, and we know Colorado media has linked Avs to both Tatar and Petry. It's a bit bizarre that he's scouting the NHL team though because the question remains who the Avs would relinquish from their current roster that also helps us. I don't see a great fit there, and the guy Bergevin absolutely needs to be targeting is Byram.

It would also make much less sense for it to be a Kovalchuk deal, since Kovy is rumored to be on the market for a 1st or for a 2nd and a prospect. None of that involves a roster player. Could theoretically be a Domi or Drouin move too, but it would seem more likely regardless that it's a serious move and not just a UFA dump for a pick.

Then again, he scouted Arizona for like a week & we got Jordan Weal so... :4224:

But who knows.  LIke you, i would think any deal with the avs hinges on players not on the roster bvut maybe its like the Pacioretty deal: they already have the prospect/pick worked out but now they are discussing the roster player - and much like Tatar was a throw in, maybe MB is trying to find a diamond in the rough for the 3rd part. 

Pure speculation on my part but you'd have to think if we're trading a key player to them we're looking for the quality to be in the futures, not on the roster (nor do they want to part with quality from the roster if they are pushing for a deep run)

Or maybe he is there to see Martin Kaut who is making his NHL debut tonight for Colorado...

16 overall in the 2018 draft, I would take him and Bowman for Petry or Tatar

2 hours ago, maas_art said:
FWIW  per Ranaud Lavoie:

or he’s simply staying away from Montreal and the media, he may not even like the team he’s assembled 

• H_T_L locked this topic