The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

3 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

or he’s simply staying away from Montreal and the media, he may not even like the team he’s assembled 

haha. could be. 

I would assume, after dealing scandella, he will move some more players but it may well just be guys like Thompson & such. 

What we know:

- Dater and other Colorado media say Avs have interest in Petry and Tatar. Dater says Avs 1st choice is Kreider but Tatar 2nd choice. Bruins believed to be in heavily on Kreider but also looking at Anderson from Columbus and Palmieri from NJ. Boston likely willing to give up a 1st rounder to acquire one of those 3 guys.

- Lebrun says scout has told him Habs are 95% sure they plan on keeping Petry into next season because they believe they can still compete next year (compete for what I don't know).

- Friedman says Habs weren't planning on trading Tatar but the sellers' market has them shifting ideas and that they now may be ready to part with one of Tatar or Domi.

- Domi has been linked to Minnesota, who are rumored to be willing to give up a D man such as Brodin or Dumba to get a center who can replace their aging ones.

- Lebrun says Avs are scouting Kovalchuk

- Bergevin and Mellanby are in Colorado for a second straight Avs game tonight against the Isles. Personally, I'd also have interest in the Isles as a trade partner, but given that it's two Avs games in a row, it's more likely Colorado is the target.

- Friedman says Canucks in on Simmonds but that Benning has said he won't trade any more picks. He says NJ interested in Juolevi as an alternative, so could be another young D man who becomes a trade asset...

All that to say... if if if you can make a deal work centered around Domi for Dumba and if you send Tatar to Colorado for a package that includes a 1st and a top prospect (to me that means Byram or maybe Newhook or Timmins), then you're looking up. I know Colorado may not want to, but Byram has to be the target, even if you end up with Byram + a 2nd rounder as the package coming back. He just fits a need very badly for us, and Sakic was rumored to have been willing to part with Byram in a Taylor Hall trade, so he's not 100% against letting him go. There's got to be wiggle room there. If Bergevin swaps Tatar or Domi or Drouin to the Avs and comes away with only Graves or Zadorov as the centerpiece of a deal coming back, it's a fail.

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

What we know:

- Dater and other Colorado media say Avs have interest in Petry and Tatar. Dater says Avs 1st choice is Kreider but Tatar 2nd choice. Bruins believed to be in heavily on Kreider but also looking at Anderson from Columbus and Palmieri from NJ. Boston likely willing to give up a 1st rounder to acquire one of those 3 guys.

- Lebrun says scout has told him Habs are 95% sure they plan on keeping Petry into next season because they believe they can still compete next year (compete for what I don't know).

- Friedman says Habs weren't planning on trading Tatar but the sellers' market has them shifting ideas and that they now may be ready to part with one of Tatar or Domi.

- Domi has been linked to Minnesota, who are rumored to be willing to give up a D man such as Brodin or Dumba to get a center who can replace their aging ones.

- Bergevin and Mellanby are in Colorado for a second straight Avs game tonight against the Isles. Personally, I'd also have interest in the Isles as a trade partner, but given that it's two Avs games in a row, it's more likely Colorado is the target.

- Friedman says Canucks in on Simmonds but that Benning has said he won't trade any more picks. He says NJ interested in Juolevi as an alternative, so could be another young D man who becomes a trade asset...

All that to say... if if if you can make a deal work centered around Domi for Dumba and if you send Tatar to Colorado for a package that includes a 1st and a top prospect (to me that means Byram or maybe Newhook or Timmins), then you're looking up. I know Colorado may not want to, but Byram has to be the target, even if you end up with Byram + a 2nd rounder as the package coming back. He just fits a need very badly for us, and Sakic was rumored to have been willing to part with Byram in a Taylor Hall trade, so he's not 100% against letting him go. There's got to be wiggle room there. If Bergevin swaps Tatar or Domi or Drouin to the Avs and comes away with only Graves or Zadorov as the centerpiece of a deal coming back, it's a fail.

Agree.  I also dont think that a deal has to have picks in order for me to be interested. Id actually rather take Byram + Kaut or Bowers  than Byram + (what will likely be a very high) 1st rounder

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agree.  I also dont think that a deal has to have picks in order for me to be interested. Id actually rather take Byram + Kaut or Bowers  than Byram + (what will likely be a very high) 1st rounder

When you look at Coleman yielding a 1st (which could be a lottery pick since it's the Canucks' choice in 2020 or 2021) and a 1st from last year in Foote, you'd think Tatar has to be worth at least that and realistically more.

When Zucker gets you a 1st and Pittsburgh's best D prospect (in addition to Galchenyuk potentially being another trade deadline asset for Minny), you'd think Tatar gets you something similar.

But yes, Byram is a better prospect than Foote or Addison, so you could argue that's the "1st rounder" you're getting and that the second part of a deal could be a later 1st or could be a 2nd or could be another prospect like Kaut or Kamenev or so on. I've watched some tape on Kaut and he's got decent size but I'm not sold on his skating. He acually reminds me a bit of Guillaume Latendresse, which isn't a complete bust of a player but isn't a must-get either. Other thing to keep in mind is that I believe the Avs don't have their 2nd rounder this year already, so they may be more hesitant to also part with their 1st or they may want to give up a 2021 pick. So Byram as a substitute for a 1st does make some sense. I doubt they give up both Timmins and Byram and they probably prefer to give up Timmins since they already have Makar on the right, but that's less of a win for us. I see no way they give up Byram AND Newhook or Byram AND Jost. So maybe Byram + Bowers or Byram + Kamenev could be something to ask for...

48 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

What we know:

There was also a pretty far fetched rumour that MB and Mellanby were in Colorado to work out a blockbuster trade that would send Price to the Avs for some combination of Byram + Bowers + Newhook + Girard + Jost + Compher which would be about the right price

2 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

There was also a pretty far fetched rumour that MB and Mellanby were in Colorado to work out a blockbuster trade that would send Price to the Avs for some combination of Byram + Bowers + Newhook + Girard + Jost + Compher which would be about the right price

Colorado has been linked in rumors to all of Tatar, Petry, Drouin, Price, Kovalchuk, and Thompson. So who knows who they're actually looking at. A Price trade would make more sense in the off-season to be able to generate the cap space needed for that, since Colorado would likely have to dump long-term salary as well. I think we're more likely to find a suitor for Price in a team with high hopes that goes crashing out because of goaltending issues. Maybe an Edmonton or Calgary or Islanders or Toronto or maybe a Vancouver if they don't re-sign Markstrom.

However, if we were talking about a Price to Colorado deal, the return would likely be Grubauer ( to offset the move for a starting goalie and some cap hit), Byram, and a 1st. I don't think you'd get much more than that. Maybe you'd even get less.

That said, Colorado does have lots of cap room, so you might even be able to package Petry and Tatar or Kovalchuk and one of the other two together to be able to convince Sakic to give up Byram. If you were to ship both Petry and Tatar to Colorado, I think it would be completely reasonable to ask for Byram, Newhook, and a 1st rounder. Or I think you could ask for Byram, Bowers, Kamenev, and a 1st. Byram, Jost, and a 1st. Something along those lines... that trade would probably make Colorado the favorite in an already-wide open West. One of the reasons it's a sellers' market right now is that the West has no dominant teams and lots of clubs think that a move or two can give them a chance at a Cup final... Stl, Vegas, Col, Dal, Nas, Cal, Edm, Van... they all think they have a shot and they're not entirely wrong.

KHL reporters stating that Romanov to Montreal next year is closer to becoming reality and that his teammate and friend Alexei Marchenko (formerly a Red Wing and Leaf) may plan on coming over with him to help facilitate the move. He's a 28 year-old LHD. Maybe more of an AHL player.

I hope we're not trading Drouin. He's young and showed a lot before he was injured (even last year he had a good first half). 

I wouldn't trade Petry either unless it was an enormous steal. 

I don't think Price can be traded and it's one of the reasons I'm on board with MB on retooling as opposed to a complete rebuild.

I would be interested in trading Domi for D man and Tatar for top prospect, 1st +. I also think Thompson and Weise might get us mid-round picks. Kovalchuk, if we don't extend, should fetch something good too. 

We could have a ton of picks and prospects this time next week, even if we just make the small trades, which I'm fine with if don't get our price

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I hope we're not trading Drouin. He's young and showed a lot before he was injured (even last year he had a good first half). 

I don't think Price can be traded and it's one of the reasons I'm on board with MB on retooling as opposed to a complete rebuild.

I would be interested in trading Domi for D man and Tatar for top prospect, 1st +. I also think Thompson and Weise might get us mid-round picks. Kovalchuk, if we don't extend, should fetch something good too. 

We could have a ton of picks and prospects this time next week, even if we just make the small trades, which I'm fine with if don't get our price

The asking price for Kovy is apparently 1st or 2nd + A list prospect 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Colorado has been linked in rumors to all of Tatar, Petry, Drouin, Price, Kovalchuk, and Thompson. So who knows who they're actually looking at. A Price trade would make more sense in the off-season to be able to generate the cap space needed for that, since Colorado would likely have to dump long-term salary as well. I think we're more likely to find a suitor for Price in a team with high hopes that goes crashing out because of goaltending issues. Maybe an Edmonton or Calgary or Islanders or Toronto or maybe a Vancouver if they don't re-sign Markstrom.

However, if we were talking about a Price to Colorado deal, the return would likely be Grubauer ( to offset the move for a starting goalie and some cap hit), Byram, and a 1st. I don't think you'd get much more than that. Maybe you'd even get less.

That said, Colorado does have lots of cap room, so you might even be able to package Petry and Tatar or Kovalchuk and one of the other two together to be able to convince Sakic to give up Byram. If you were to ship both Petry and Tatar to Colorado, I think it would be completely reasonable to ask for Byram, Newhook, and a 1st rounder. Or I think you could ask for Byram, Bowers, Kamenev, and a 1st. Byram, Jost, and a 1st. Something along those lines... that trade would probably make Colorado the favorite in an already-wide open West. One of the reasons it's a sellers' market right now is that the West has no dominant teams and lots of clubs think that a move or two can give them a chance at a Cup final... Stl, Vegas, Col, Dal, Nas, Cal, Edm, Van... they all think they have a shot and they're not entirely wrong.

I agree that we could probably get more teams involved in the off-season however the Avs have 28.7 Mil available in deadline cap space so trading for Price now for them is easy. It's the package coming back that would be more of what makes or breaks a trade like this.the Abs don't even have to include Grubeaur in the trade they can basically run 2 starters for the rest of the year and trade Grubeaur in the off-season. Also if Sakic can convince MB to retain salary it makes it that much more appealing for them. But your right with the Avs linked to so many of our players it really could be anyone MB is there about.

6 hours ago, maas_art said:
FWIW  per Ranaud Lavoie:

"Marc Bergevin is still in Denver and will be at the Avalanche game tonight. Islanders are in town."

You have to think something is in the works if he's still there watching.  Will it come to fruition? Who knows. But Im assuming they are talking... 

LOL....Bergevin is in Denver getting measured for a new suit. 

If I was to trade Tatar, I would want an LD prospect plus a first rounder or equivalent back as a minimum so these are the potential teams - Colorado - Byram plus their first or Newhook, Philly - Cam York and a first, Edmonton- Broberg and a first, Winnipeg - Heinola and a first, Dallas - Thomas Harley and a first, Carolina - Jake Bean and a first 

Dobson - nyi and Bouchard - Edm are good but are right handed and don’t help solve the deficiency 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:
FWIW  per Ranaud Lavoie:

"Marc Bergevin is still in Denver and will be at the Avalanche game tonight. Islanders are in town."

You have to think something is in the works if he's still there watching.  Will it come to fruition? Who knows. But Im assuming they are talking... 

well....face it......he's MOSTLY there to avoid the press and the mess he's got here....

All the posts here are great and show a real interest in making the Habs better. ONE BIG PROBLEM. We are talking about MB the master of the waiver wire fisherman. I think MB puts more thought in the clothes he wears than the team he is managing. We had a good D corps but we needed scoring and centermen. Now we have too many centermen and we need D-men. So MB trades a solid 34 D-man in Scandella, for what picks? I thinks he is doing this because the draft will be in MTL next year and he wants more TV time. Picks are great but they are a lottery. We have made a bunch of picks that have not worked out. The trades MB has made like Drouin he won't fix. Drouin is a great player but can't handle the pressure of playing in the MTL market. That is why he is so unpredictable in his play. Weber is a great player who is getting old and is now injury prone and slow and too expensive. Price needs to go to a team that can actually give him a chance to win a cup. He deserves that at least. But know MB he would trade Price to Ottawa for sticks and pucks. Trading Pety when we need him is a bad idea. Trading Tatar is also a bad idea. Our market is a tough one. our prospect need more time so they don't flame out like KK.

Anyway this is all moot. MB will be MB and make more Boneheaded MB moves. All we can do is watch and cry into our habs jerseys and hope Molson sells the team to someone who cares.

8 hours ago, Fanatikal said:

Our market is a tough one. our prospect need more time so they don't flame out like KK.

Its far too early to say KK flamed out.    Despite being in his 2nd year in the NHL he was still the 3rd youngest player in the league.    He just needs more time to make some adjustments to his play.     The kid has a ton of talent, and unlike our previous 3rd overall Galchenyuk ... Kotkaniemi has incredible vision and hockey smarts.    He'll be fine and likely be our 1A or 1B center for years with Suzuki.

8 hours ago, Fanatikal said:

So MB trades a solid 34 D-man in Scandella, for what picks?

He got Scandella for a 4th from the Sabres and sold him for a 2nd.   That was actually good asset management, because Scandella was and remains a horrendous D-man.   In his 20 games with the Habs he was awful ... not Alzner bad, but almost.    Calling Scandella a "solid d-man" is really over selling his abilities.

12 hours ago, habsisme said:

Drouin -   Has done nothing in a Habs jersey to prove he's elite or untouchable.   If the package was right, I'd trade him ... heck given his poor vision (drop pass to nowhere anyone) ... I'd be offering him around.

Petry -  Petry has one more year on his contract.     Our current group of young guys won't be ready to compete for 3-4 years.   So do you trade Petry now while his value is high considering the likely hood he'd want a long term contract next year and be on the decline?  I'd say yes, given how deep this draft is another 1st round and good/elite prospect never hurts.

Domi -  Great year last season, regressed this season and doesn't seem like the same player.    Very concerning given its his RFA year.    Again, if the package is right ..see ya.

Tatar -  Same issue as Petry.    Is an older Tatar on a long term deal worth more than the haul he'd get this year?  If Zucker gets you a 1st + prospect, Tatar gets that at a minimum.

In essence, keeping anyone not named Suzuki, KK or any other prospect if the package was right would be silly at this point.   This team won't compete next year or for the next 3-4 years, so why hang on to somebody who wont' be a part of that if the package is right ... and its really looking like a sellers market this year.

Eyes on Petry?

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Carolina Hurricanes are interested in adding right-shot, top-four defenceman preferably with term before the deadline. And Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry, who fits the bill on all three counts, is high on their wish list.

LeBrun cites a source who believes there's a 95 per cent chance the Canadiens hold on to Petry, who's signed through next season at a $5.5 million cap hit. But he wonders if Carolina could entice Montreal general manager Marc Bergevin into making a deal.

LeBrun believes the Hurricanes could package a first-round pick and defensive prospect Jake Bean in exchange for Petry. He adds, however, that the Canadiens would likely decline that offer because the team does not view Bean as a top-four defenceman in the future. 

Bean, selected 13th overall in 2013,  has seven goals and 38 points in 49 games with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers this season and played two games last season with the Hurricanes. 

Petry, who has nine goals and 36 points in 62 games this season, is listed at No. 49 on the Trade Bait board. LeBrun adds that the Canadiens will need to be "overwhelmed by an offer" to move him before Monday's deadline.

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Eyes on Petry?

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Carolina Hurricanes are interested in adding right-shot, top-four defenceman preferably with term before the deadline. And Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry, who fits the bill on all three counts, is high on their wish list.

LeBrun cites a source who believes there's a 95 per cent chance the Canadiens hold on to Petry, who's signed through next season at a $5.5 million cap hit. But he wonders if Carolina could entice Montreal general manager Marc Bergevin into making a deal.

LeBrun believes the Hurricanes could package a first-round pick and defensive prospect Jake Bean in exchange for Petry. He adds, however, that the Canadiens would likely decline that offer because the team does not view Bean as a top-four defenceman in the future. 

Bean, selected 13th overall in 2013,  has seven goals and 38 points in 49 games with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers this season and played two games last season with the Hurricanes. 

Petry, who has nine goals and 36 points in 62 games this season, is listed at No. 49 on the Trade Bait board. LeBrun adds that the Canadiens will need to be "overwhelmed by an offer" to move him before Monday's deadline.

Hm, not sure Petry would accept a trade to Carolina.

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Hm, not sure Petry would accept a trade to Carolina.

He has a limited NTC - he can list 15 teams he wont allow himself to be traded to - but im not sure if he has to do that at the beginning of the year or whatever. You do have to wonder if Carolina would be on that list. 

Either way, I feel like its unlikely Petry gets traded. Unless we're getting a proven young dman as part of the package - in which case why wouldnt the team just hold on to that player.

I do think there's a good chance Tatar gets traded. I dont think MB was initially considering it but i think that some offers will come in that will be just too tough for him to refuse. 
Same for Kovalchuk.   

I think there's an outside chance we trade Domi or Drouin although honestly i think thats more likely at the draft - i feel like we're going to make a big splash this year, it being in Montreal and all. 

8 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Eyes on Petry?

Grant it, I haven't seen a lot of Bean, but what i saw of him in junior and what he's put up on paper seems pretty strong. He sounds like exactly the type of player we could use, so not sure of the "don't view  him as a top-4 D man stance." Keeping in mind the Habs have been okay with the likes of Murray, Emelin, Chiarot, and Kulak as top 4 guys, so maybe Bergevin isn't a good judge of who should or should not be in the top 4.

I think Petry for Bean and a 1st would be close to being even, as long as the pick was not lottery-protected. Carolina has two 1st's so they can afford it. I'd even wonder if we could ask for a 3rd piece in that type of trade.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Grant it, I haven't seen a lot of Bean, but what i saw of him in junior and what he's put up on paper seems pretty strong. He sounds like exactly the type of player we could use, so not sure of the "don't view  him as a top-4 D man stance." Keeping in mind the Habs have been okay with the likes of Murray, Emelin, Chiarot, and Kulak as top 4 guys, so maybe Bergevin isn't a good judge of who should or should not be in the top 4.

I think Petry for Bean and a 1st would be close to being even, as long as the pick was not lottery-protected. Carolina has two 1st's so they can afford it. I'd even wonder if we could ask for a 3rd piece in that type of trade.

I agree. thats a strange assessment of Bean.  FWIW the quote says bean was drafted in 2013 but im pretty sure it was 2016

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agree that there would have to be a third piece for Petry especially since Carolina is within the conference and it makes them stronger for next year - Canes also have the Rangers 2020 second rounder as well as their own so it makes sense for them to throw that one in as the third piece - However I believe Bean is at least 2 years away from ascending to a top 4 defenseman - there’s other LD prospects that appear to have better upside 

• H_T_L locked this topic