The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

My thoughts on Karlsson, Duchene, and the puzzle:

1. It's getting into silly season with rumors. People know Habs fans go nuts for rumors, so it's extra clicks and followers if you come up with something plausible... I believe the Duchene rumors more than the Karlsson rumors just because of the sources as well as the older reports from reputable sources that MB has tried to acquire Duchene twice in the past, once from Colorado and once from Ottawa. I think MB will push hard for Duchene.

2. With the built-in talk period in late June, the Habs should know which big name they are in on. So if Duchene isn't coming here, MB has time to put his money elsewhere. I wouldn't rule out Karlsson completely. I do think these rumors are being driven by reports about Karlsson's wife and what could offer support for validity here is Karlsson not yet having signed with SJ and supposedly having given a thank you to fans there... in the past, players like Vanek and Shattenkirk and Tavares have been linked places because of family connections, and there was truth to some of those stories, so it's entirely possible Karlsson's wife wants to be close to Ottawa.

3. Not sure going back to Ottawa makes much sense for Karlsson. They still have a terrible ownership and arena situation. They're clearly re-building and even with him, weren't going anywhere fast. Toronto doesn't have enough cap for its own players. So you have to figure he is looking at other teams in the East, albeit playing with Lundqvist or Hedman also seems to be on his list according to some rumors. There are logical reasons for his considering Montreal, but also reasons for him to consider a half dozen other teams too.

4. Karlsson did play some LD with SJ this year, but I don't think we'd be signing him with the view of playing him there. If you sign Karlsson, logic says MB will try to trade Petry. Like others have posted, I don't see value in paying EK 11M when you can have Petry for 5.5M and spend that other 5.5M elsewhere. It's like asking whether you'd rather have Karlsson and Jordan Weal or Duchene and Petry. Petry is not as good as Karlsson but vastly underrated.

5. The smartest move would be to sign Karlsson, retain Petry, and trade Weber. I don't think you can justify paying 5-6M more for Karlsson than Petry, but you could easily argue that Karlsson at 10-11M at age 29 is better value than Weber at close to 8M and at age 34. And I'd much rather keep the younger(than Weber), reliable Petry than add recently-injured Karlsson to frequently-injured Weber and call those two our D core. I'm not saying the Habs should go after Karlsson, but if they do, I think the only way I'm happy with the move is if it's combined with a Weber trade. I don't think we can keep all of Weber-Petry-Karlsson on their respective salaries, and I don't think we can trade Petry and feel comfortable with Weber-Karlsson given their injury concerns and salaries.

6. If you recognize that a Karlsson signing allows you to trade Weber, the possibilities are endless. We know there are good D men out there who could be on the move. Carolina reportedly wants to move Hamilton. Philly wants to move Gostisbehere. Buffalois considering moving Ristolainen. Winnipeg with Trouba. Nashville with Subban. Minny has hinted Brodin might be available. Edmonton with Klefbom. Calgary with Brodie or Hamonic. Anaheim might be willing to part with Fowler for the right price. Now some of those guys are righties. But there are options there to put Weber on the market and ask for a swap of D men. In some cases, Weber is probably viewed as the better asset, so you might be able to get even more... what about Weber for Klefbom and Puljujarvi? Or Weber for Klefbom and the Oilers' 1st rounder? What about Weber for Gostisbehere and Konecny? Or Ghost and Frost? It would potentially give you something like

Gostisbhere/Klefbom-Karlsson

Mete-Petry

Kulak-Juulsen

and potentially add another asset in there for you as either a pick or a forward too. THAT is the route MB should be looking at if he's even considering Karlsson.

Not going to quote Ted's and jedi's posts to avoid a wall of text but I wholeheartedly agree. I'd be all for signing Karlsson if that meant we'd trade Weber to finally fill that hole on the left side because a. he'll fetch a better return on the trade market than Petry simply due to name/reputation/pedigree and b. he's the older, less mobile player in a league that puts a heavy emphasis on speed and mobility. Again, I do like Weber a lot, probably way more than many others around here, but from a pure business perspective that's the move we should go for if we truly want to take a shot at signing Karlsson.

That's all fine and dandy on paper but again, I don't think it'll happen, like ever. Weber is Bergevin's thoroughbred, his legacy. He traded Subban for Weber straight up because he was convinced that we'd be a better team now and in the future, not sure that's an exact quote but feel free to look up his post-trade interviews. Trading Weber now – 3 years plus ~160 regular season and 6 playoff games later with absolutely nothing to show for it except a first round exit, two major injuries, and missing the playoffs twice – would basically mean he came up way short in the biggest trade he orchestrated as GM of the Montreal Canadiens. Bergevin seems to be a very proud individual, I just don't see it happening.

Edited by ChiLla
2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Not going to quote Ted's and jedi's posts to avoid a wall of text but I wholeheartedly agree. I'd be all for signing Karlsson if that meant we'd trade Weber to finally fill that hole on the left side because a. he'll fetch a better return on the trade market than Petry simply due to name/reputation/pedigree and b. he's the older, less mobile player in a league that puts a heavy emphasis on speed and mobility. Again, I do like Weber a lot, probably way more than many others around here, but from a pure business perspective that's the move we should go for if we truly want to take a shot at signing Karlsson.

That's all fine and dandy on paper but again, I don't think it'll happen, like ever. Weber is Bergevin's thoroughbred, his legacy. He traded Subban for Weber straight up because he was convinced that we'd be a better team now and in the future, not sure that's an exact quote but feel free to look up his post-trade interviews. Trading Weber now – 3 years plus ~160 regular season and 6 playoff games later with absolutely nothing to show for it except a first round exit, two major injuries, and missing the playoffs twice – would basically mean he came up way short in the biggest trade he orchestrated as GM of the Montreal Canadiens. Bergevin seems to be a very proud individual, I just don't see it happening.

I agree. I think MB is too heavily-invested in Weber to see the forest through the trees in his case. Weber has already started to slow down. His skating is not that great any more. He's been injured a lot, and not small things either. And he's simply not a #1 D man in my view any longer. He's a solid guy. He's still a top 50 D man in the league, but not a guy I want to build around, especially with the turn the game has taken towards emphasizing speed over size and power. I absolutely appreciate Weber's shot and his leadership and toughness and the fact opponents are intimidated by him. But I'd rather sell on him before his value drops off to the point of no return, the way we've seen it happen to guys like Hamrlik, Kaberle, Kovalev, Cammalleri, Gomez, Vanek, Markov, and Plekanec. All of those guys were once first-line/top-pairing caliber and all saw significant declines in their ability to keep up in their early-to-mid 30's. Again, it doesn't mean the player can't still be useful, but just not anywhere close to the value they once had in their prime. I fear MB has already waited too long on Weber, and I'd really hate to keep pushing that window out, especially if MB has the opportunity to move in Karlsson for no assets and move Weber out to fill another hole.

We've said it many times, but MB has been very good at tinkering. He's found quality role players in his tenure here. But he has failed at bigger moves and at seeing the big picture for his team as well. Failing to fire Therrien and Lefebvre in a timely manner. Dumping Subban as a personal vendetta rather than because of a hockey move. Complaining about players' character and diminishing their value openly, then going out and acquiring a guy like Drouin with character flaws written all over him. Outside of Petry, some of MB's best bigger moves might have been things he accidentally stumbled upon... hard to know if he really knew Domi would be able to be a 1C. Domi playing at center and on the first line wasn't a focus of Bergevin's when he talked about acquiring him. Tatar being lights out, when he was seen by most as a throw-in in the deal and whereby Bergevin said he tried harder to find a better package and young center for Pacioretty but coudln't, so he settled for the best trade he could get. Again, credit to Bergevin for having both trades work out, but hard to know how much of that was Bergevin foreseeing the results and how much was him just throwing darts at a board. On the other big trades, I'm not sure MB has been so quick to admit his mistakes... was swapping out Eller for Shaw the best move? Could he move on from Shaw before the concussions catch up to him? Does keeping Drouin, the guy MB actually said he saw as a 1C, make sense now that we know he's not? And does moving on from Weber make sense now in order to extend the window of success? All of this makes you wonder if a change in GM could have helped the team see more clearly what MB moves need to be undone rather than sat on.

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I agree. I think MB is too heavily-invested in Weber to see the forest through the trees in his case. Weber has already started to slow down. His skating is not that great any more. He's been injured a lot, and not small things either. And he's simply not a #1 D man in my view any longer. He's a solid guy. He's still a top 50 D man in the league, but not a guy I want to build around, especially with the turn the game has taken towards emphasizing speed over size and power. I absolutely appreciate Weber's shot and his leadership and toughness and the fact opponents are intimidated by him. But I'd rather sell on him before his value drops off to the point of no return, the way we've seen it happen to guys like Hamrlik, Kaberle, Kovalev, Cammalleri, Gomez, Vanek, Markov, and Plekanec. All of those guys were once first-line/top-pairing caliber and all saw significant declines in their ability to keep up in their early-to-mid 30's. Again, it doesn't mean the player can't still be useful, but just not anywhere close to the value they once had in their prime. I fear MB has already waited too long on Weber, and I'd really hate to keep pushing that window out, especially if MB has the opportunity to move in Karlsson for no assets and move Weber out to fill another hole.

We've said it many times, but MB has been very good at tinkering. He's found quality role players in his tenure here. But he has failed at bigger moves and at seeing the big picture for his team as well. Failing to fire Therrien and Lefebvre in a timely manner. Dumping Subban as a personal vendetta rather than because of a hockey move. Complaining about players' character and diminishing their value openly, then going out and acquiring a guy like Drouin with character flaws written all over him. Outside of Petry, some of MB's best bigger moves might have been things he accidentally stumbled upon... hard to know if he really knew Domi would be able to be a 1C. Domi playing at center and on the first line wasn't a focus of Bergevin's when he talked about acquiring him. Tatar being lights out, when he was seen by most as a throw-in in the deal and whereby Bergevin said he tried harder to find a better package and young center for Pacioretty but coudln't, so he settled for the best trade he could get. Again, credit to Bergevin for having both trades work out, but hard to know how much of that was Bergevin foreseeing the results and how much was him just throwing darts at a board. On the other big trades, I'm not sure MB has been so quick to admit his mistakes... was swapping out Eller for Shaw the best move? Could he move on from Shaw before the concussions catch up to him? Does keeping Drouin, the guy MB actually said he saw as a 1C, make sense now that we know he's not? And does moving on from Weber make sense now in order to extend the window of success? All of this makes you wonder if a change in GM could have helped the team see more clearly what MB moves need to be undone rather than sat on.

is any of this a rumour? i think most of us know other views on certain players quite well by now... i agree with some of what you say here but i don't want Karlsson not even a little. i want the ideal version of him but i don't trust the guy on the ice i have seen him take many many nights off when things don't go his way. truth be told i wish we had Webber from 10 years ago but we don't and the guys in the room seem to love the guy not sure about Karlsson don't remember Webber or his wife getting into the news all that often either. as for MB well hard to tell if he is learning or just getting lucky!

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

is any of this a rumour? i think most of us know other views on certain players quite well by now... i agree with some of what you say here but i don't want Karlsson not even a little. i want the ideal version of him but i don't trust the guy on the ice i have seen him take many many nights off when things don't go his way. truth be told i wish we had Webber from 10 years ago but we don't and the guys in the room seem to love the guy not sure about Karlsson don't remember Webber or his wife getting into the news all that often either. as for MB well hard to tell if he is learning or just getting lucky!

Holding the fact the the Karleson's were in the news against the guy is unfair it wasn't him or his wife that started that mess it was Hoffman's fiance being no less than a school yard bully. I personally would rather have Karlsson at any stage of his career over Weber at any stage. I like Weber and respect him as a player cause he is definitely one of the best defensive defensemen in the history of the game but his playing style is better suited to the western conference. Historically the West has the bigger heavier teams but lack the speed of the East.I know there are teams over there that defy that logic but for the most part the West still has the bigger teams. Karleson's style is also better suited to the East he is a smooth skater with great puck moving skills. I agree though if we do get Karlsson you have to move Weber, Petry has a MNTC and MNMC I don't see him wanting to move on of we were getting a player of Karleson's ilk. So EK to Habs at 9 mil for 8 years, Weber to Oilers for Klefblom and Reider and a 2nd, remember the Oilers need cap space as well and are done with Rieder as stated publically. Then send Drouin to Arizona for Picks and sign Duchene to 8 mil for 8 years

Now you have

Domi-Duchene-Gallagher

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki 

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw 

Byron-Poehling-Armia

Weal, Rieder

Klefblom-Karlsson

Mete-Petry 

Kulak-Juulsen 

Folin

Price

Lindgren

With that lineup I would keep Lindgren as he is likely to do better than he did previously. If he sinks you trade him closer to the deadline.

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

. as for MB well hard to tell if he is learning or just getting lucky!

YUp . This past year MD, TT and AS had career years . CP bounced back . And the team still missed the playoffs .

Let see what next year brings .

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

YUp . This past year MD, TT and AS had career years . CP bounced back . And the team still missed the playoffs .

Let see what next year brings .

You can also add Petry, Danault, Lehkonen, and Kulak to that list, for a total of 7 players having career years. Sustainable? We'll see I guess.

Edited by ChiLla
15 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

https://www.tsn.ca/buffalo-sabres-gm-jason-botterill-remains-confident-in-jeff-skinner-re-signing-with-team-1.1317011

Looks like Skinner is inclined to stay in Buffalo. McKenzie says they're ready to go 8 years around 9M per season, which is a little too rich for my taste. No thanks.

Yeah. That's way more than I thought Skinner would get.

13 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

https://www.tsn.ca/buffalo-sabres-gm-jason-botterill-remains-confident-in-jeff-skinner-re-signing-with-team-1.1317011

Looks like Skinner is inclined to stay in Buffalo. McKenzie says they're ready to go 8 years around 9M per season, which is a little too rich for my taste. No thanks.

Ya, thats kind of nutty. He's 27 & will be 36 when that contract expires.  He had a monster year with 40 goals and has been a consistent 30 goal scorer but that is pretty ridiculous money for an older player on full term.   I would have expected $8-9m a year for 4-5 years maybe but with a full 8 years you would expect a little less in the AAV dept.

10 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. That's way more than I thought Skinner would get.

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

Ya, thats kind of nutty. He's 27 & will be 36 when that contract expires.  He had a monster year with 40 goals and has been a consistent 30 goal scorer but that is pretty ridiculous money for an older player on full term.   I would have expected $8-9m a year for 4-5 years maybe but with a full 8 years you would expect a little less in the AAV dept.

Yep, I thought he was going to be cheaper, too. 9M on a shorter deal to essentially buy the rest of his prime years could make sense for the right team but 8 years? Wow, that's just a lot of money and term for a somewhat one-dimensional scoring winger. As long as he's scoring 35+ goals per season, the investment is fine, but is he going to do that in year 5 of that contract? I don't think so. Since he came into the league in 2010, his totals are virtually identical to Pacioretty's, who you could argue is more versatile while Skinner is the more dynamic goalscorer. I'm not trying to compare Skinner/Pacioretty, my point is that I wouldn't want to pay 9M per season for ~65 points and not much else.

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

So with the reports of Karlsson wanting an offer from the Habs and Philly giving up a 5th rounder for Hayes rights should we try a similar deal for the chance to sign Karlsson before FA?

I'm hoping we dont sign him, so no

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

if those are going to be the prices for players of that age and level.......not sure we will be signing anyone.

I somewhat agree with the fact that UFA signings are almost always over-payments. But on the other hand, if they're still happening, it's because GM's still see value in them. Sure, it hurts to cough up 10-11M for Karlsson or 8-10M for Duchene or 8-9M for Skinner, but the alternative the past two years has been hanging on to 10M in cap space doing nothing. At some point, you can't just be sitting on the future, you have to go all in on winning, and either you do that with Weber and Price and Petry and so on or else you start trading these guys for assets that can help you down the line.

Three ways in which a big-name signing this year could work out:

1. Montreal is frequently thought of as an unattractive destination to some free agents because of the taxes, the weather, and the media... all things the team can't control. If you have a guy like Karlsson who WANTS to come here because of location, that's a positive thing. If you have a guy like Duchene whose been a lifelong Habs fan the way Tavares was a lifelong Leafs fan and he wants to play for us, that's a good thing. It sens the message to fans that we can attract big names and not just sit on money. It send the message to other free agents that quality players want to come here. And it send a message to your team that you want to help them win.

2. I don't think too many of us would squabble if we signed Karlsson for 7 years at 6M a season nor if we signed him for 11M for 3-4 years. The real problem, which is where we're headed with Weber and Price, is when you have an aging asset and you're paying out the last 2-4 years of a contract for a guy whose past prime but still getting paid like he's a star. And that would likely be the case with any of Karlsson, Skinner, or Duchene. I think you have to ask yourself as a GM, can I get 4-5 good years out of these guys? And if you think you can, then maybe it's worth 2 bad years at the end of a contract in exchange for giving yourself a couple of realistic shots at a Cup while Price is still good. Maybe it's better to take a shot at being great for 3-4 years even if it means having a cap problem for 2-3 after that.

3. The other thing about a signing right now is that we have good team depth. So a signing almost certainly allows us to trade another high-priced asset. Sign Karlsson and (like I've elucidated on before) you should be trying to trade Weber. Say you trade Weber for Gostisbehere and a pick... now instead of thinking about it as we gave 10M to Karlsson, it can be we gave 10M+ to Karlsson and 4.5M to Ghost instead of 7.8M to Weber and maybe 3M that we would have given to a guy like Benn to play the left side instead. So instead of "we've spent 10M," now it becomes "we spent 4M more to go from Weber-Benn to Karlsson-Ghost... similarly, if you sign Duchene, maybe that frees up MB to trade Drouin for a LHD, and maybe it becomes "we spent 2-3M more to go from Drouin-Benn to Duchene-Klefbom" for example.

30 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

So with the reports of Karlsson wanting an offer from the Habs and Philly giving up a 5th rounder for Hayes rights should we try a similar deal for the chance to sign Karlsson before FA?

I wouldn't. If Karlsson is really set on coming here and not testing the UFA market, it's because he wants to play close to Ottawa but not in Ottawa. That's really our only edge. That won't change whether we acquire him before or after the deadline. As it stands, teams have a week to contact free agents before July 1st, so we'll know what's going on beforehand anyways. MB has to have a number in his head of what he's willing to pay Karlsson. Either EK agrees to that in exchange for getting a preferable location or he doesn't. If money is the most important fact to him or if winning is more important and he wants to go to TB with Hedman or so on, that decision is likely made and our getting an extra week to negotiate with him probably won't make a difference. No sense in wasting a pick IMO.

I will say this, if Karlsson really wants to come here and the money and term are not insane i agree 100% we should do it. adding an elite Dman is always a good idea, but someone will be leaving for that to happen because it still does not solve our LHD problem. also if we can get Duchene i think we have to look at that as well, i don't think the team will make a whole bunch of roster changes because i think part of the teams strength last year was just how tight everyone was. i could see Drouin Petry and or Shaw getting moved to make room for the new salary we would be taking on and our need to still get an LHD. if you have Karlsson and Webber on your right you are solid! Mete and Kulak are going to need help on the left and as for the third pairing we have about 5 of those so we are flush there! up front the addition of Duchene with what we already have and the fact that Karlsson should get us at least a few more PP goals will change the dynamic of the team quite a bit.

8 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I will say this, if Karlsson really wants to come here and the money and term are not insane i agree 100% we should do it. adding an elite Dman is always a good idea, but someone will be leaving for that to happen because it still does not solve our LHD problem. also if we can get Duchene i think we have to look at that as well, i don't think the team will make a whole bunch of roster changes because i think part of the teams strength last year was just how tight everyone was. i could see Drouin Petry and or Shaw getting moved to make room for the new salary we would be taking on and our need to still get an LHD. if you have Karlsson and Webber on your right you are solid! Mete and Kulak are going to need help on the left and as for the third pairing we have about 5 of those so we are flush there! up front the addition of Duchene with what we already have and the fact that Karlsson should get us at least a few more PP goals will change the dynamic of the team quite a bit.

Yeah I agree but maybe you sign Karlsson and trade Weber and Alzner for Ghost and a pick Philly can handle taking on that much cap and may find Alzner serviceable 

Edited by campabee82
36 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree. I wouldn't add Karlsson without subtracting Weber. Will MB do that? No. But I think that's the right course of action. If EK really does want to sign here, you need to clear out salary and a spot on the right side of the D, and it just doesn't make sense to move the younger, more mobile, cheaper Petry rather than Weber.

I'm not sure I see MB moving Shaw any more... I think he was looking to move him two years ago, but if you look at the clique that is kind of running the leadership group, you're looking at the likes of Gallagher, Shaw, Tatar, Domi, Byron, and Danault who seem to be pretty tight together. Is Shaw expendable? Yes. Should we be concerned about his concussion history? Yes. Should we probably be trading him while his value is as high as it's ever been coming off a very good year? Yes again. But not sure I see MB making that move. Might also depend on how ready MB feels Suzuki is to take a top 9 RW role away from him.

I'm just stating for the record that I prefer Weber and his cap hit to what Karlsson will be so I home MB does not trade him. 

I do think MB is after MD and will overpay, and if that's the case I would prefer Karlsson and just play a right shot at LD

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I'm just stating for the record that I prefer Weber and his cap hit to what Karlsson will be so I home MB does not trade him. 

I do think MB is after MD and will overpay, and if that's the case I would prefer Karlsson and just play a right shot at LD

I Agree. But if Karlsson really wants to come here try and get him as cheap as possible but fear. But we still need to sign that top 6 forward.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I agree. I wouldn't add Karlsson without subtracting Weber. Will MB do that? No. But I think that's the right course of action. If EK really does want to sign here, you need to clear out salary and a spot on the right side of the D, and it just doesn't make sense to move the younger, more mobile, cheaper Petry rather than Weber.

I'm not sure I see MB moving Shaw any more... I think he was looking to move him two years ago, but if you look at the clique that is kind of running the leadership group, you're looking at the likes of Gallagher, Shaw, Tatar, Domi, Byron, and Danault who seem to be pretty tight together. Is Shaw expendable? Yes. Should we be concerned about his concussion history? Yes. Should we probably be trading him while his value is as high as it's ever been coming off a very good year? Yes again. But not sure I see MB making that move. Might also depend on how ready MB feels Suzuki is to take a top 9 RW role away from him.

Hypothetically if we did sign Karlsson, Mike Babcock loves him (Weber) what do you think Toronto would offer.

1 hour ago, xxdocxx said:

Hypothetically if we did sign Karlsson, Mike Babcock loves him (Weber) what do you think Toronto would offer.

Good question, I'm not sure they can take on Weber's salary because they need to sign Marner, so you're basically looking at an extra ~20M against the Cap.

They want to get rid of Marleau and Zaitsev and still need to re-sign Kapanen and Johnsson, so my guess is getting Weber is out of the question for them at this point. It would have to be a pretty massive deal with plenty of pieces coming the other way (or several moves to free up Cap space first).

9 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

if those are going to be the prices for players of that age and level.......not sure we will be signing anyone.

Yeah, it's a little scary. If Skinner gets 9M as an UFA, what are Panarin, Duchene, Karlsson, and even Marner (though RFA) going to command? Is Skinner worth 2 million more than Nylander, who also just signed his long-term deal? I don't see it.

Edited by ChiLla