The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

LeBrun Tweeted on Friday that the Canadiens have inquired recently regarding Calgary Flames defenseman T.J. Brodie. 

The 29 year old lefty has one year left on a deal that pays him $4.65million. 

He's a bit less offensive than Gostisbehere and Letang but more physical than both and plays better defensively than Gostisbehere. 

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

LeBrun Tweeted on Friday that the Canadiens have inquired recently regarding Calgary Flames defenseman T.J. Brodie. 

He's a bit less offensive than Gostisbehere and Letang but more physical than both and plays better defensively than Gostisbehere. 

the only think is I keep hearing he likes to play on the right side but Calgary does need to dump salary and I think he's our best option

14 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

the only think is I keep hearing he likes to play on the right side but Calgary does need to dump salary and I think he's our best option

yeah, that is the problem. He shoots left but he greatly prefers playing RD and I believe has been proven to be considerably more effective there.   He'd certainly play LD if asked but Im not sure he's the best fit for us for that reason. 

9 minutes ago, maas_art said:

yeah, that is the problem. He shoots left but he greatly prefers playing RD and I believe has been proven to be considerably more effective there.   He'd certainly play LD if asked but Im not sure he's the best fit for us for that reason. 

it depends on the cost. Its a one year deal and because Flames probably need to move him (and given the PK trade) I think we may get him for mid round pick. And if its that cheap, we don't need re-sign him and we have the space for this year

36 minutes ago, habsisme said:

it depends on the cost. Its a one year deal and because Flames probably need to move him (and given the PK trade) I think we may get him for mid round pick. And if its that cheap, we don't need re-sign him and we have the space for this year

For sure. And i could see MB going that route - band-aid solution for a year or two & Hope that guys like Romanov, Mete, Harris, Fairbrother etc will be enough going forward.  

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

For sure. And i could see MB going that route - band-aid solution for a year or two & Hope that guys like Romanov, Mete, Harris, Fairbrother etc will be enough going forward.  

The band-aid might be the best option right now. And I'm comfortable sacrificing a pick for the band-aid. We already have nine picks stockpiled for next year's draft. And with promising young players at forward and defense, I'm comfortable getting someone like T.J. Brodie for one year.

Just now, jennifer_rocket said:

The band-aid might be the best option right now. And I'm comfortable sacrificing a pick for the band-aid. We already have nine picks stockpiled for next year's draft. And with promising young players at forward and defense, I'm comfortable getting someone like T.J. Brodie for one year.

Yep, I agree. If nothing else works out, adding Brodie would make sense in a lot of ways. I like the idea, especially because there's no long-term commitment.

So with the Hawks landing both Maata and De Haan they now have 8 Dmen 1 UFA, 1RFA and 5 LHD 2 with NMC (Seabrook and Keith). I think we should be targetting them as we can help out with their need for a RHD and they can have Shaw as well. Maybe a deal something like Shaw + Petry for Matta + PIcks\DeBrincat (I really don't see them letting DeBrincat go though)

4 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

So with the Hawks landing both Maata and De Haan they now have 8 Dmen 1 UFA, 1RFA and 5 LHD 2 with NMC (Seabrook and Keith). I think we should be targetting them as we can help out with their need for a RHD and they can have Shaw as well. Maybe a deal something like Shaw + Petry for Matta + PIcks\DeBrincat (I really don't see them letting DeBrincat go though)

Im really not sure what they are up to in Chi-Town.  I would guess one last push but they have some real weak spots in their roster.

I think there may be an opportunity to there but I would guess they'd want guys who can play/win now (so, Shaw, like you mentioned) but i think they would be much more likely to want to give up future assets like picks or prospects because their window to win with their core is nearly shut (if not already) 

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im really not sure what they are up to in Chi-Town.  I would guess one last push but they have some real weak spots in their roster.

I think there may be an opportunity to there but I would guess they'd want guys who can play/win now (so, Shaw, like you mentioned) but i think they would be much more likely to want to give up future assets like picks or prospects because their window to win with their core is nearly shut (if not already) 

That's why my suggestion was Shaw + Petry for Maata + Picks ( I really didn't think we could get DeBrincat away just wishful thinking lol)

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

How about... Andrew Shaw for Chicago's first rounder in 2020? :D

14 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Unless you know it's a top ten pick then no, and even then if it's 5-10 there's no guarantee!

Are you kidding??  I wouldn't be able to sign the paperwork fast enough to make this deal.  We have a full team of Andrew Shaw caliber players playing in laval, while he did have a career year I highly doubt he comes anywhere near those totals again this year

24 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

That's why my suggestion was Shaw + Petry for Maata + Picks ( I really didn't think we could get DeBrincat away just wishful thinking lol)

To me thats of no interest.  Petry is a borderline top pairing D and Shaw is a solid top 6 forward.  I wouldnt trade Shaw or Petry straight up for Maata so I certainly wouldnt trade both for a combination of picks and Maata. 

If we move either Shaw or Petry I want a top pairing Dman. Maata is still youngish so I get that there's a possibility he's "that guy" but Petry and Shaw are both coming off career years. I dont want "maybes" if I choose to move either of them (and especially if i choose to move both). 

Just now, maas_art said:

To me thats of no interest.  Petry is a borderline top pairing D and Shaw is a solid top 6 forward.  I wouldnt trade Shaw or Petry straight up for Maata so I dont know why we'd trade either for a combination of picks and Maata. 

If we move either Shaw or Petry I want a top pairing Dman. Maata is still youngish so I get that there's a possibility he's "that guy" but Petry and Shaw are both coming off career years. I dont want "maybes" if I choose to move either of them (and especially if i choose to move both). 

I'll never understand the rush to trade Petry and Weber

While I would move Shaw for the right player, he's exactly the type you need in the playoffs, and 2 years ago when the team fell apart, he played his heart out every night. I'm not giving him up for nothing

53 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I'm not giving him up for nothing

And thats how i feel about a lot of players on this roster to be honest. We have a ton of depth so its easy to cast aside players & think "what could we get for___" but depth is only valuable if you have it.  Trade away a couple of wingers & suddenly we arent as deep any more & are forced to use guys like DLo or Weise. 

If we move a player like Shaw, or Drouin or Lehkonen etc - we'll feel it.  If the return is good enough to fill a hole (like a top 3 LD) then I think its potentially worth it but im certainly not shopping players just to move them. 

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

And thats how i feel about a lot of players on this roster to be honest. We have a ton of depth so its easy to cast aside players & think "what could we get for___" but depth is only valuable if you have it.  Trade away a couple of wingers & suddenly we arent as deep any more & are forced to use guys like DLo or Weise. 

If we move a player like Shaw, or Drouin or Lehkonen etc - we'll feel it.  If the return is good enough to fill a hole (like a top 3 LD) then I think its potentially worth it but im certainly not shopping players just to move them. 

That's why you either sign Gardner in free agency, or take advantage of another team's cap crunch (Vegas comes to mind).  Gardner for the right cap hit, bolster's your D automatically by giving you an established top 4 defense man.  However if you can pry Shea Theodore away from Vegas for a similar return on the Subban trade to help Vegas clear cap space, then that should be our play. 

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I get what your saying and agree with it, I would never just move a player cause we can. Honestly I am not a big Shaw fan never have been since meeting him when he won his cup with the Hawks so I guess maybe I under value his contribution to the team. I also see Maata as a top 4 Dman and figured the Hawks would want a RHD that's why I through out Petry's name. I think if we could get either Seabrook or Keith until our young guys developed that might be the better way to go cause we have lots of promising prospects.

32 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I get what your saying and agree with it, I would never just move a player cause we can. Honestly I am not a big Shaw fan never have been since meeting him when he won his cup with the Hawks so I guess maybe I under value his contribution to the team. I also see Maata as a top 4 Dman and figured the Hawks would want a RHD that's why I through out Petry's name. I think if we could get either Seabrook or Keith until our young guys developed that might be the better way to go cause we have lots of promising prospects.

Oh i like Maata - I would have happily offered what the hawks gave up to get him, but im pretty sure Shaw +  could get you someone closer to Klefbom or Ghost and thats without having to toss out Petry.    

I feel like there's a trade out there, im just not sure if MB will make it. 

43 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

That's why you either sign Gardner in free agency, or take advantage of another team's cap crunch (Vegas comes to mind).  Gardner for the right cap hit, bolster's your D automatically by giving you an established top 4 defense man.  However if you can pry Shea Theodore away from Vegas for a similar return on the Subban trade to help Vegas clear cap space, then that should be our play. 

we can't sign Gardiner, this crop of UFAs is just too high a price

50 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

so RDS says we are in on Simmonds.... they say he wants 3-5 years as a free agent. he fell off quite badly in Nashville.

I would be interested in Simmonds on a 2-year deal. As you said, otherwise, his stock is low because of how poorly he played last year and he'd have to earn a longer-term deal to me and prove that he isn't done.

43 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I would be interested in Simmonds on a 2-year deal. As you said, otherwise, his stock is low because of how poorly he played last year and he'd have to earn a longer-term deal to me and prove that he isn't done.

same.  However, part of this would be on how ready i think Suzuki is.  If I believe he's NHL ready I dont sign any more RW because i think Gallagher - Suzuki - Shaw - Armia  is pretty solid already.  

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

same.  However, part of this would be on how ready i think Suzuki is.  If I believe he's NHL ready I dont sign any more RW because i think Gallagher - Suzuki - Shaw - Armia  is pretty solid already.  

You could make that argument, that maybe Simmonds isn't any better than what we already have but I'll throw out two counter-points:

1. We know Shaw has been shopped. We know he's one hit away from his career being over at any point. So there's not a guarantee Simmonds wouldn't be signed to take Shaw's spot.

2. Our PP was awful. Simmonds is a guy who can get into the dirty areas, go to the net, get the puck out of the corners etc, and not leave us with a drastic drop-off in skill, the way putting an Armia or Thompson or so on would do to the PP. So in some ways, a guy like Simmonds might offer a good complement to our smaller guys and help our struggling PP by providing a different type of weapon.