The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

51 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, we have either a weak scouting staff, or a weak developing staff. Just think of the 1rst rounders we drafted in the last 10 years. Personally, I am sick and tired of other teams developing their 1st rounder when we have done nothing.

I pick scouting .

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, we have either a weak scouting staff, or a weak developing staff. Just think of the 1rst rounders we drafted in the last 10 years. Personally, I am sick and tired of other teams developing their 1st rounder when we have done nothing.

It feels like we always believed that Trevor Timmins was the right guy to be leading the way, but... maybe he's not. I don't know. We seem to miss more than we hit with our first rounders. Maybe it's not all on Timmins, but he has to shoulder some of the responsibility.

Just now, jennifer_rocket said:

It feels like we always believed that Trevor Timmins was the right guy to be leading the way, but... maybe he's not. I don't know. We seem to miss more than we hit with our first rounders. Maybe it's not all on Timmins, but he has to shoulder some of the responsibility.

We seem to draft well in later rounds but miss in the first. MB wanted to draft Morgan Reilly in his first draft, but the scouting team wanted Galchenyuk. For a while, it looked like they made the right decision but not anymore. We've had a lot of bad first-round picks, that much is certain.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

That’s a fair statement - I am just ok with our drafting since 2017 - could we have drafted better - absolutely but if you look at the Consensus boards at the time of the draft there haven’t been too many reaches - the draft is always a roll of the dice. We all want that steal or home run

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Just to weigh in on this a little bit, I am not going to argue that our firsts have been hit and miss over the last 10-15 years but even before that look back through our draft history. I believe we are like a .500 or slightly less with first round pick conversions over the entire draft history. So this goes way back before even Timmons and his scouting staff. Not really sure why we have been so utterly bad at first round picks but it is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed.

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Just to weigh in on this a little bit, I am not going to argue that our firsts have been hit and miss over the last 10-15 years but even before that look back through our draft history. I believe we are like a .500 or slightly less with first round pick conversions over the entire draft history. So this goes way back before even Timmons and his scouting staff. Not really sure why we have been so utterly bad at first round picks but it is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed.

I think, ultimately, the GM makes the final decision on draft picks. Poor development also plays a role in how draft picks turn out. Maybe picking the best player available is more detrimental than picking to fill a need.   

There's certainly a lot of factors involved, and we'll never know how much influence each participant (e.g. GM, Timmins, someone else) has over each individual pick. With that said, there must be some cold, hard data out there about the number of games our picks have played in the NHL vs. other teams since MB took over. If we have significantly less man-games played, that would seem kind of damning to me. You could look at that data across all rounds of the draft or just the first round. One thing is certain, you have to go back to the 2005 draft to find a a first round choice who's currently on the team and impacting the team to any large degree.

16 hours ago, habsisme said:

That 2007 draft was monster, a couple of drafts like that and your whole team is turned around

Indeed. It's just too bad we traded McDonagh for Gomez. At least the Subban trade worked out okay and the Pacioretty trade looks great for both teams. It is, however, too bad we couldn't capitalize on having those assets to win or compete for a Cup with them all on our team.

38 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Indeed. It's just too bad we traded McDonagh for Gomez. At least the Subban trade worked out okay and the Pacioretty trade looks great for both teams. It is, however, too bad we couldn't capitalize on having those assets to win or compete for a Cup with them all on our team.

Mcdonaugh for Gomez???  Come on, have you forgotten Michael Busto and Tom Pyatt already??? They were the real prizes. Truculence. Grit. :4224:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to The Score, the Habs, Kings, and Devils are among teams interested in signing Mikko Lehtonen, a 26 year-old Finnish LHD, who led the KHL in D scoring last year. His KHL contract was terminated to allow him to pursue an NHL deal.

56 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

According to The Score, the Habs, Kings, and Devils are among teams interested in signing Mikko Lehtonen, a 26 year-old Finnish LHD, who led the KHL in D scoring last year. His KHL contract was terminated to allow him to pursue an NHL deal.

It would be interesting if we signed him as we would be as strong down the left as we are down the right when everyone is healthy. A line up of

Lehtonen-Weber

Chiarot-Petry 

Romanov-Fluery 

Mete/Kulak 

Might just be what the doctor ordered for Price to return to top form.  That being said Lehtonen is still basically an unknown so could also turn out to be disastrous.

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

It would be interesting if we signed him as we would be as strong down the left as we are down the right when everyone is healthy. A line up of

Lehtonen-Weber

Chiarot-Petry 

Romanov-Fluery 

Mete/Kulak 

Might just be what the doctor ordered for Price to return to top form.  That being said Lehtonen is still basically an unknown so could also turn out to be disastrous.

For a $1.5m -$2m one year contract (since he’s not entry level) and hasn’t proven himself in the nhl, use the #%{*€ cap room to sign him and save the embarrassing and likely rejected offer sheet for Sergachev. 
it’s not a bad gamble for the $ - he’s gambled and lost worse - hello Kinkaid, Alzner 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

For a $1.5m -$2m one year contract (since he’s not entry level) and hasn’t proven himself in the nhl, use the #%{*€ cap room to sign him and save the embarrassing and likely rejected offer sheet for Sergachev. 
it’s not a bad gamble for the $ - he’s gambled and lost worse - hello Kinkaid, Alzner 

Would he not be an ELC cause he is still under 27 and never drafted? I believe he would need a 1 year ELC.

On 5/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, campabee82 said:

Lehtonen-Weber

Chiarot-Petry 

Romanov-Fluery 

Mete/Kulak 

While im totally for the signing, I think its a stretch to say it makes us "as strong down the left" as we are on the right.

Lehtonen and Romanov are totally unproven.  Mete & Chiarot are NHL caliber but ideally #4-6 guys. Kulak and the rest are spare parts. 

Conversely, on the right you have 2 guys who are on every NHL team's second pair (and many team's first) in Weber and Petry. Then you have unproven guys like Juulsen, Fleury, Brook etc.

I think our Right is still way better - mostly because you have established NHL vets there - but like you, id be fine with this signing. I feel like if its between us, the devils and the kings, there's a legit chance we win the courtship. 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

While im totally for the signing, I think its a stretch to say it makes us "as strong down the left" as we are on the right.

Lehtonen and Romanov are totally unproven.  Mete & Chiarot are NHL caliber but ideally #4-6 guys. Kulak and the rest are spare parts. 

Conversely, on the right you have 2 guys who are on every NHL team's second pair (and many team's first) in Weber and Petry. Then you have unproven guys like Juulsen, Fleury, Brook etc.

I think our Right is still way better - mostly because you have established NHL vets there - but like you, id be fine with this signing. I feel like if its between us, the devils and the kings, there's a legit chance we win the courtship. 

Your right he is an unknown and I did acknowledge that and meant to say that IF he works out we COULD be as strong on the left as the right sorry I misspoke LOL. I do feel like Lehtonen has a ligit shot at a top pairing as he has played top pairing in the KHL though.

12 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Your right he is an unknown and I did acknowledge that and meant to say that IF he works out we COULD be as strong on the left as the right sorry I misspoke LOL. I do feel like Lehtonen has a ligit shot at a top pairing as he has played top pairing in the KHL though.

No need to apologize - i am just worried that this is exactly the sort of move MB will continue to make:  Low risk, "Hope" that things work out... 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Lehtonen goes to the Leafs after all that. One year deal.

Well thats too bad.  Even still, i dont think he solves our main issue right now. 

Looking at the Canes D there are a ton of top 4 Dmen Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Skjei, Gardiner and Vatanen. Then they have a decent amount of depth in Fleury, Van Reimsdyk and Edmundson.  I was wondering what it might take to get Skjei? I chose Skjei because Gardiner has a 7 team no trade list and we are likely on it and Vatanen and Slavin are likely not moving. Would they take Tatar + Kulak + 2nd for Skjei + Suzuki + Fleury? 

On 5/13/2020 at 11:11 PM, campabee82 said:

Looking at the Canes D there are a ton of top 4 Dmen Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Skjei, Gardiner and Vatanen. Then they have a decent amount of depth in Fleury, Van Reimsdyk and Edmundson.  I was wondering what it might take to get Skjei? I chose Skjei because Gardiner has a 7 team no trade list and we are likely on it and Vatanen and Slavin are likely not moving. Would they take Tatar + Kulak + 2nd for Skjei + Suzuki + Fleury? 

Vatanen's a UFA with an injury history and I don't know the Canes were planning on bringing him back. Edmundson and Van Riemsdyk are also UFA's. Likewise, Gardiner didn't have a great year and might not be viewed as a longterm top 4 solution. They paid a 1st rounder to get Skjei at the deadline, and I don't think they would trade him for Tatar and a 2nd straight up (given Tatar will be on an expiring contract, whereas Skjei is signed longterm). I highly doubt they're giving up Skjei and two of their better young players for anything close to what you listed there. Acquiring Skjei alone probably starts with a 1st and a prospect or else a top prospect like a Romanov, Caufield, or so on. Otherwise, why would Carolina trade away their 1st and then turn around and trade away a defenceman in his prime for less?

IMO, if we're going to trade with Carolina, the D man to target is Jake Bean, who is NHL-ready now and who might have trouble cracking the regular line-up right away.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:48 PM, BigTed3 said:

Vatanen's a UFA with an injury history and I don't know the Canes were planning on bringing him back. Edmundson and Van Riemsdyk are also UFA's. Likewise, Gardiner didn't have a great year and might not be viewed as a longterm top 4 solution. They paid a 1st rounder to get Skjei at the deadline, and I don't think they would trade him for Tatar and a 2nd straight up (given Tatar will be on an expiring contract, whereas Skjei is signed longterm). I highly doubt they're giving up Skjei and two of their better young players for anything close to what you listed there. Acquiring Skjei alone probably starts with a 1st and a prospect or else a top prospect like a Romanov, Caufield, or so on. Otherwise, why would Carolina trade away their 1st and then turn around and trade away a defenceman in his prime for less?

IMO, if we're going to trade with Carolina, the D man to target is Jake Bean, who is NHL-ready now and who might have trouble cracking the regular line-up right away.

Thanks for the feed back I see your point guess it was wishful thinking lol

• H_T_L locked this topic