Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hypothetical question here, with the Blues being at 78.55 Mil cap hit next season and the cap expected to remain flat and the Blues having to sign both Dunn and Pietrangelo do you think we could help them free up cap space by trading for Dunn + Bozak + Sundqvist. This gives the Blues 10.2 Mil to resign Pietrangelo just not sure what it would take to acquire those 3 was thinking Bozak and Sundqvist would together be worth maybe a 2nd or 3rd or someone like Kulak. Dunn would probably be worth at least a 1st maybe a 1st +2nd but the cap space would they save would be worth only taking a 1st for Dunn if it meant signing Pietrangelo. Am I close or what would it take?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2020 at 0:02 PM, campabee82 said:

Hypothetical question here, with the Blues being at 78.55 Mil cap hit next season and the cap expected to remain flat and the Blues having to sign both Dunn and Pietrangelo do you think we could help them free up cap space by trading for Dunn + Bozak + Sundqvist. This gives the Blues 10.2 Mil to resign Pietrangelo just not sure what it would take to acquire those 3 was thinking Bozak and Sundqvist would together be worth maybe a 2nd or 3rd or someone like Kulak. Dunn would probably be worth at least a 1st maybe a 1st +2nd but the cap space would they save would be worth only taking a 1st for Dunn if it meant signing Pietrangelo. Am I close or what would it take?

That is a lot of money to take on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, campabee82 said:

Hypothetical question here, with the Blues being at 78.55 Mil cap hit next season and the cap expected to remain flat and the Blues having to sign both Dunn and Pietrangelo do you think we could help them free up cap space by trading for Dunn + Bozak + Sundqvist. This gives the Blues 10.2 Mil to resign Pietrangelo just not sure what it would take to acquire those 3 was thinking Bozak and Sundqvist would together be worth maybe a 2nd or 3rd or someone like Kulak. Dunn would probably be worth at least a 1st maybe a 1st +2nd but the cap space would they save would be worth only taking a 1st for Dunn if it meant signing Pietrangelo. Am I close or what would it take?

A year or two ago they said Dunn was "untouchable" so i think you'd have to give up a top prospect too.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah I thought so too but we could Buyout Bozak as he only has 1 year at 5 mil after this one or tale a page from the Laffs and take on some all but retired players contracts on LTIR

Which should be against the rules since not all teams are in such a financial situation as to be able to do it. So much for league parity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Which should be against the rules since not all teams are in such a financial situation as to be able to do it. So much for league parity.

I agree and I feel like it is circumventing the cap and the integrity of the league but if the Leafs can do it why can't we? I was looking on Capfriendly and I figure there are at least 10-20 Mil in LTIR contracts out there for the pickings guys like Kessler and Zetterberg come to mind. Why shouldn't we get that extra space and fill our biggest weakness before the league closes the loophole? Purhaps go and sign a Sergichev or Krug to an 8 mil × 5 year contract and fix our cap space later?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Seeing a ton of rumours floating around about Hall headed home to Calgary. Most site that he wants to be closer to family but I am not sure these rumours are true because Hall grew up in Calgary until he was 13 then his parents moved to Kingston where his Mon still lives and there are conflicting reports on where his dad live most say in Toronto some say Kingston so who knows one thing is for sure IF he wants to be close to his parents then he will go somewhere like Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal or Detroit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Seeing a ton of rumours floating around about Hall headed home to Calgary. Most site that he wants to be closer to family but I am not sure these rumours are true because Hall grew up in Calgary until he was 13 then his parents moved to Kingston where his Mon still lives and there are conflicting reports on where his dad live most say in Toronto some say Kingston so who knows one thing is for sure IF he wants to be close to his parents then he will go somewhere like Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal or Detroit.

Yeah, very very few players actually end up signing to be "closer to home" even though a lot are rumoured to.  Im not saying he wont - but like you im not sure if that means calgary.


That said, living in one city till you're 13 probably means there's a good chance he's a closet flames fan and like Tavares did with the leafs, its also possible he chooses calgary because it was his childhood dream.

Either way im not sure we should be in the running for him. I like hall, he's an elite player & there's no doubt he makes us better than we are now, but that contract will be a burden in a few years when all our young players are needing new ones.   If i had any faith in MB id say "go for it, sort it out in a few years" (You could always trade Hall at that time for example) but since i dont have any faith in him, the less jams he can get into, the better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, very very few players actually end up signing to be "closer to home" even though a lot are rumoured to.  Im not saying he wont - but like you im not sure if that means calgary.


That said, living in one city till you're 13 probably means there's a good chance he's a closet flames fan and like Tavares did with the leafs, its also possible he chooses calgary because it was his childhood dream.

Either way im not sure we should be in the running for him. I like hall, he's an elite player & there's no doubt he makes us better than we are now, but that contract will be a burden in a few years when all our young players are needing new ones.   If i had any faith in MB id say "go for it, sort it out in a few years" (You could always trade Hall at that time for example) but since i dont have any faith in him, the less jams he can get into, the better. 

This was exactly my feeling lol but with MB ruining the show he would likely offer 10 Mil for 7 years with full NMC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2020 at 7:27 PM, campabee82 said:

Seeing a ton of rumours floating around about Hall headed home to Calgary. Most site that he wants to be closer to family but I am not sure these rumours are true because Hall grew up in Calgary until he was 13 then his parents moved to Kingston where his Mon still lives and there are conflicting reports on where his dad live most say in Toronto some say Kingston so who knows one thing is for sure IF he wants to be close to his parents then he will go somewhere like Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal or Detroit.

Hall be a ton of money and never really helped the Oilers, Devils nor Coyotes. Doubt he is a wise decision

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, FirstRoundPick said:

Hall be a ton of money and never really helped the Oilers, Devils nor Coyotes. Doubt he is a wise decision

I disagree with the bolded, 2 or 3 years ago he won the hart trophy for carrying the devils into the playoffs without much help. He is a game changer and an elite winger he would definitely help the Habs but we would need more than just Hall. We would need Suzuki and KK and Romanov all to step up and be what we all feel like they can be as well as Price and Weber to be even half as good as they were in their prime

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I disagree with the bolded, 2 or 3 years ago he won the hart trophy for carrying the devils into the playoffs without much help. He is a game changer and an elite winger he would definitely help the Habs but we would need more than just Hall. We would need Suzuki and KK and Romanov all to step up and be what we all feel like they can be as well as Price and Weber to be even half as good as they were in their prime

Yeah the problem isnt so much that we're missing good players its that they are at totally different stages of their careers.  You're never going to get a whole team entering its prime at once (you couldnt afford it either) but when you look at your top 5-8 players and 3 of them are over 33 (by december) and the other 4 or 5 are all under 22 thats a problem.  Guys like Domi, Tatar, Drouin are are  mid-career players so they are fine with either end of the spectrum but all of our potential impact guys are either out of their prime or not quite in it & that doesnt gel. 

MB seems unable to understand this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2020 at 8:41 PM, campabee82 said:

I disagree with the bolded, 2 or 3 years ago he won the hart trophy for carrying the devils into the playoffs without much help. He is a game changer and an elite winger he would definitely help the Habs but we would need more than just Hall. We would need Suzuki and KK and Romanov all to step up and be what we all feel like they can be as well as Price and Weber to be even half as good as they were in their prime

One year and then he quickly collapsed again. What about the other 9 years? Never take the outliner and use it as the norm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FirstRoundPick said:

One year and then he quickly collapsed again. What about the other 9 years? Never take the outliner and use it as the norm

So career 0.9 PPG player is considered a bust!? I don't think so! Besides he hasnt really been on elite teams through the first 10 years now has he?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2020 at 6:13 PM, campabee82 said:

So career 0.9 PPG player is considered a bust!? I don't think so! Besides he hasnt really been on elite teams through the first 10 years now has he?

Precisely why not to sign him. He's point a game,  10 million a year and never helped his teams win. It will be a Duchene or Karlsdon type mistake. That kind of money, needs to be no inegatives tied to him 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Sometimes I assume that the player who hasn't been able to win a Cup has the most incentive to work hard to do so. I would be totally fine with MB reaching out to Hall's camp to gauge interest. Will he come here? I highly doubt it. Is it worth checking into? Definitely.

I agree a player of his level you always check at the very least. you never know who had a burning desire to be a hab!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Sometimes I assume that the player who hasn't been able to win a Cup has the most incentive to work hard to do so. I would be totally fine with MB reaching out to Hall's camp to gauge interest. Will he come here? I highly doubt it. Is it worth checking into? Definitely.

He's never helped teams before. At 10 million a year, I would pass. He has only had 1 good year in 10. Be bad contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2020 at 7:19 AM, FirstRoundPick said:

He's never helped teams before. At 10 million a year, I would pass. He has only had 1 good year in 10. Be bad contract.

 

On 6/27/2020 at 0:51 PM, ramcharger440 said:

You really do seem stuck on the past......it is not always an indicator of the player himself.

I’ll admit up front that I’m not a fan of the idea of adding Hall. I don’t love the money or the term it would likely cost to get’em, but all of that aside, I just don’t think he’d be a good fit. Personally, if we were to attempt a huge move along those lines, I’d much prefer to see us funnel our resources into Barzal. If we’re going to toss around 10mil with serous term, Barzal makes a lot more sense. And I’m not saying it’s a “must” or that we even should, but I’d rather make Barzal the highest paid player in the league and suffer the compensatory consequences than pay Hall $10 million x 6 or 8. With that said, if we were to go that route, I’d prefer to see us work out a trade then actually have to offer sheet the kid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

 

I’ll admit up front that I’m not a fan of the idea of adding Hall. I don’t love the money or the term it would likely cost to get’em, but all of that aside, I just don’t think he’d be a good fit. Personally, if we were to attempt a huge move along those lines, I’d much prefer to see us funnel our resources into Barzal. If we’re going to toss around 10mil with serous term, Barzal makes a lot more sense. And I’m not saying it’s a “must” or that we even should, but I’d rather make Barzal the highest paid player in the league and suffer the compensatory consequences than pay Hall $10 million x 6 or 8. With that said, if we were to go that route, I’d prefer to see us work out a trade then actually have to offer sheet the kid. 

Agree with everything here.

I dont think you can blame Hall for his teams' shortcomings - he's just one guy. Sakic was a generational talent but couldnt stop Quebec from having some alltime horrendous teams.  But, like you, i dont see Hall as a great fit for our team. Maybe if he was 5 years younger. But i feel like just as he's leaving his prime, our best players will be entering theirs. 

I like the idea of going after Barzal although honestly - even though none are close to his talent- between Suzuki, JK, Domi, Poehling, and others I feel like centre is not as pressing any more. We may not have a top 10 centre (although i think prime suzuki will be close and JK may still end up being better) if I was going to make a huge splash it would be for a LD.  sure we have some guys coming up like Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris etc- but theres no 'sure things' there for a top pairing guy. I think we're set for #2 and #3 LD but #1?  If we could add someone thats 25 or under, Id make that move before all others. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agree with everything here.

I dont think you can blame Hall for his teams' shortcomings - he's just one guy. Sakic was a generational talent but couldnt stop Quebec from having some alltime horrendous teams.  But, like you, i dont see Hall as a great fit for our team. Maybe if he was 5 years younger. But i feel like just as he's leaving his prime, our best players will be entering theirs. 

I like the idea of going after Barzal although honestly - even though none are close to his talent- between Suzuki, JK, Domi, Poehling, and others I feel like centre is not as pressing any more. We may not have a top 10 centre (although i think prime suzuki will be close and JK may still end up being better) if I was going to make a huge splash it would be for a LD.  sure we have some guys coming up like Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris etc- but theres no 'sure things' there for a top pairing guy. I think we're set for #2 and #3 LD but #1?  If we could add someone thats 25 or under, Id make that move before all others. 

Agree with this... I think we could get more bang for our buck trying to go after a top-pairing D man than a forward right now. I always like the idea of building through top-end D and finding guys who spend 24-28 minutes on the ice a night rather than a good center who might still only play 20-22 minutes. I like the idea of having a couple of top-end back-enders and I think of groups like Savard-Robinson-Lapointe or Niedermayer-Stevens or Niedermayer-Pronger or Subban-Josi-Ellis-Ekholm or Jones-Werenski or so on. That's why I advocated offer-sheeting Werenski last summer instead of chasing Aho or Marner or a forward. Cheaper and impactful IMO.

As far as D men go this year, the UFA class doesn't offer anyone who would be a long-term solution, even if you have good vets like Pietrangelo available. The RFA class is usually more interesting if you think the Habs would consider an offer-sheet again or a trade-and-sign. I'd also consider a RHD to be almost as important as a LHD, given Weber and Petry's ages. If you're going after a guy who can be here for 5-7 years, then our right side might actually be weaker for more years in that span than the left side, which has better prospects coming up. That said, looking at the list of RFA's this year, there aren't a ton of viable solutions for the top pair and ironically-enough, Sergachev is the best option player-wise. Not sure if he'd ever think of coming back here though. Vince Dunn would probably be #2 on the list. Trade might be another route to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...