The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

Its Eklund so im 100% sure its made up, but the thinking behind it is intriguing.

"According to three solid sources the Seattle franchise would like to make a move to land Carey Price to be their top piece and Montreal may be open to the idea following the 20-21 season. The folks in Seattle feel the only way for a young franchise to thrive is by grabbing a Fleury type top shelf keeper. 

Price, who hails from nearby British Columbia, would have to be open to the idea..."

There's definitely some logic behind the idea: 

From Seattle's standpoint:
- You can afford price
- You build around a key player
- The precedence was set in LV - so they may really want to model their expansion the same way (although i personally dont think it will work twice)

From Montreal's standpoint:
- You get out from under that contract that will probably cripple us in a couple of years
- You dont end up losing another key player like maybe Juulsen or Brook
- You have guys in the system (Primeau specifically) who may be able to take on the load

From Price's standpoint:
- He's likely not winning in Montreal for a while so would his chances be better in Seattle if they can somehow replicate LV's success?
- He gets out of the spotlight of Montreal where ever gaffe and slump is magnified ridiculously
- He plays much closer to home.

Anyway, i have no idea if its even remotely being considered but there's certainly some logic for all sides.    The big question is:  Could price still be traded? Because if yes, id rather explore that first, although with that contract you'd have to think he'd bring back very little the other way... 

11 hours ago, maas_art said:

Its Eklund so im 100% sure its made up, but the thinking behind it is intriguing.

"According to three solid sources the Seattle franchise would like to make a move to land Carey Price to be their top piece and Montreal may be open to the idea following the 20-21 season. The folks in Seattle feel the only way for a young franchise to thrive is by grabbing a Fleury type top shelf keeper. 

Price, who hails from nearby British Columbia, would have to be open to the idea..."

There's definitely some logic behind the idea: 

From Seattle's standpoint:
- You can afford price
- You build around a key player
- The precedence was set in LV - so they may really want to model their expansion the same way (although i personally dont think it will work twice)

From Montreal's standpoint:
- You get out from under that contract that will probably cripple us in a couple of years
- You dont end up losing another key player like maybe Juulsen or Brook
- You have guys in the system (Primeau specifically) who may be able to take on the load

From Price's standpoint:
- He's likely not winning in Montreal for a while so would his chances be better in Seattle if they can somehow replicate LV's success?
- He gets out of the spotlight of Montreal where ever gaffe and slump is magnified ridiculously
- He plays much closer to home.

Anyway, i have no idea if its even remotely being considered but there's certainly some logic for all sides.    The big question is:  Could price still be traded? Because if yes, id rather explore that first, although with that contract you'd have to think he'd bring back very little the other way... 

I think a better trade would be with Colorado or Vancouver , Montreal could get prospects coming back the other way instead of just draft picks  . Seattle being a new team would not have prospects in the pipeline.

13 hours ago, BornToBeAHab said:

I think a better trade would be with Colorado or Vancouver , Montreal could get prospects coming back the other way instead of just draft picks  . Seattle being a new team would not have prospects in the pipeline.

The problem with a trade is Price's contract.  $10.5m would be tough - maybe impossible - for most teams to take on.   A team that felt they were on the cusp of a cup, if not for a goaltender, maybe would - but i think it would have to be an older team that knew they were ready to blow things up.  So they would take on price for 1 or 2 cup runs, knowing they cant afford their team for long. Pittsburgh for example probably only has Crosby/Malkin/Letang prime for a couple more years.. Maybe we take back one short bad contract to offset for a couple of years.

There's not many teams like this though. Neither Colorado nor Vancouver fit the bill because they both have young superstars & are just hitting their stride as teams.  Would either look great with Price? Yes.  But it would hurt them the same way his contract may possibly hurt us, just as they need to resign their elite young players. 

Im not sure there's a suitor out there (and im ok with holding on to him if we need to) but Seattle does provide a unique possibility. Doubt it will happen though. 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

The problem with a trade is Price's contract.  $10.5m would be tough - maybe impossible - for most teams to take on.   A team that felt they were on the cusp of a cup, if not for a goaltender, maybe would - but i think it would have to be an older team that knew they were ready to blow things up.  So they would take on price for 1 or 2 cup runs, knowing they cant afford their team for long. Pittsburgh for example probably only has Crosby/Malkin/Letang prime for a couple more years.. Maybe we take back one short bad contract to offset for a couple of years.

There's not many teams like this though. Neither Colorado nor Vancouver fit the bill because they both have young superstars & are just hitting their stride as teams.  Would either look great with Price? Yes.  But it would hurt them the same way his contract may possibly hurt us, just as they need to resign their elite young players. 

Im not sure there's a suitor out there (and im ok with holding on to him if we need to) but Seattle does provide a unique possibility. Doubt it will happen though. 

The salary cap staying where it is doesn't help. 

24 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Will anyone want to take Carey on, assuming the salary cap may stay pretty flat for the next several years? I'm doubtful. Do we get any of those sweet, sweet compliance buyouts with the new CBA?

Can't see the buyouts being an option. The UFA market hasn't opened up yet, so teams should be well aware of what their budgets are and what they can afford. Shouldn't see any of those ridiculous over payments this year.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:10 PM, maas_art said:

Seattle is interesting because it puts Price's wife back near home, so that's a wild-card factor. I can see Carey thinking that's a win for him.

I'd agree with you on Vancouver not being a great fit, meaning they likely won't part with young pieces, but then again, there are rumors they want to trade Boeser now so who knows. If they think they're one goalie away from being a contender, maybe they'd part with a 1st rounder or two...

I think Colorado is even closer to Cup contention and so I could actually see them being okay with trading younger parts to make a move. With the cap, your window doesn't last long and if they wait 2-3 years, they may not be able to afford to keep all their key pieces. Makar is going to get paid in a year. Can they do that AND retain Mackinnon and Landeskog and Rantanen and so on. There have already been rumors out of Denver that the Avs would seriously consider trading Timmins or Byram to make themselves better this year and next, and we've heard of them entertaining the idea of adding another top-6 forward, but they could also see Price as a serious upgrade in goal, despite the cost and the long-term hit. If you felt Price made you the favorite to win the Cup next year and for a couple of years after, maybe they say let's do it and figure the rest out later. Maybe Colorado also wonders if they can grab Price for a year and then trade him to a team like Seattle a year later. If the trade is Price and Lehkonen for Byram, Kamenev, and a 1st, which team says no? I could see that as both teams addressing needs, akin to the Pacioretty trade to Vegas whereby they got better now during their window and we got better long-term when we had no window to win right away anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Eklund (so huge boulder of salt) says that Julien is really pressing MB to sign Krug (once off season signings are a thing).

Top LHD is obviously a huge need for us, and I have heard that Krug/Julien had a very good relationship (not the first time we've heard of a player going to a team based on the coach) plus the attraction of playing next to Weber (no matter what you think of him as a fan) is quite high amongst a lot of players.

Id be surprised it Boston would let him go, but i guess its ultimately his decision.  I am not sure what it would cost (in either $$ or term) but I would assume he'd be looking for 6+ years.  He's 29 right now so you're possibly getting into problems towards the end of the deal but if you really think you can win with Price/Weber/Petry then you need to figure out a way to fill that hole on LD ASAP.  Our forwards are starting to come into their own, our LHD depth is just a mess, but if you were to add a guy like Krug, everyone slots back to the correct depth positioning.  

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Eklund (so huge boulder of salt) says that Julien is really pressing MB to sign Krug (once off season signings are a thing).

Top LHD is obviously a huge need for us, and I have heard that Krug/Julien had a very good relationship (not the first time we've heard of a player going to a team based on the coach) plus the attraction of playing next to Weber (no matter what you think of him as a fan) is quite high amongst a lot of players.

Id be surprised it Boston would let him go, but i guess its ultimately his decision.  I am not sure what it would cost (in either $$ or term) but I would assume he'd be looking for 6+ years.  He's 29 right now so you're possibly getting into problems towards the end of the deal but if you really think you can win with Price/Weber/Petry then you need to figure out a way to fill that hole on LD ASAP.  Our forwards are starting to come into their own, our LHD depth is just a mess, but if you were to add a guy like Krug, everyone slots back to the correct depth positioning.  

If they do go after Krug, we know they have also worked hard to bring Romanov over here and that he's not going to be playing in the AHL. So you would have Krug, Romanov, Chiarot, Mete, Kulak, etc. down the left side. You would have to think they'd be looking at trading Mete (who fills a similar role as Krug but less well) if they sign Krug.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If they do go after Krug, we know they have also worked hard to bring Romanov over here and that he's not going to be playing in the AHL. So you would have Krug, Romanov, Chiarot, Mete, Kulak, etc. down the left side. You would have to think they'd be looking at trading Mete (who fills a similar role as Krug but less well) if they sign Krug.

This is actually part of the reason ive suggested packaging Mete with one of our higher end forwards (Domi, Drouin, Danault - whomever the team feels is most replaceable) to acquire a top pairing LD.  It would mitigate the loss for another team - they get a top forward AND a solid, young #3-5 D - allowing us to maximize the quality of the D coming back. 

Between Romanov, Kulak, Chiarot and co, I think we're fine for #2 and #3 LHD and depth.  But its that #1 we need.   

Once again though, i suspect we'll just play with a gaping hole and complain when guys who are ill suited to filling it, dont somehow start playing better than their ceiling. 

Had a couple of trade proposals I saw on another site.

1. Sign and trade Domi (6 years x 6 Mil) + 2020 3rd for 8th OVA 

2. 2020 5th (Ana) to Vancouver for Suter + Virtanen. Then buy out Suter immediately and sign Virtanen to a 3.5 Mil x 5 year deal

3. Draft day 8th draft Perfetti or Holtz 9th Draft Schnider 

On 7/23/2020 at 0:57 PM, maas_art said:

This is actually part of the reason ive suggested packaging Mete with one of our higher end forwards (Domi, Drouin, Danault - whomever the team feels is most replaceable) to acquire a top pairing LD.  It would mitigate the loss for another team - they get a top forward AND a solid, young #3-5 D - allowing us to maximize the quality of the D coming back. 

Between Romanov, Kulak, Chiarot and co, I think we're fine for #2 and #3 LHD and depth.  But its that #1 we need.   

Once again though, i suspect we'll just play with a gaping hole and complain when guys who are ill suited to filling it, dont somehow start playing better than their ceiling. 

100%

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Not actually a rumour, but... Leafs media seems pretty unhappy with Reilly. What are the odds do you think they would actually dare move him?

I’d hate to see’em go, but would Domi plus... I don’t know, Chiarot be a reasonable starting point?

The leafs - or the leafs fans?  I would be really surprised if the leafs team actually even considered moving him.

Playing along though, I think the cost would be high. Like: Domi + Mete + 1st. (even that is probably not enough). 

Seems like a lot but id do that in a heartbeat.  26 yr old LHD who has scored 72pts in a season?  Yes please. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

The leafs - or the leafs fans?  I would be really surprised if the leafs team actually even considered moving him.

Playing along though, I think the cost would be high. Like: Domi + Mete + 1st. (even that is probably not enough). 

Seems like a lot but id do that in a heartbeat.  26 yr old LHD who has scored 72pts in a season?  Yes please. 

100% agree, highly unlikely. Also agree, in a heartbeat! 

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Ummm yeah,,,, Reilly ain't going nowhere. Why would they move the only guy on that team that can play defense? If he moves it's because he wants out of that cesspool.

Agreed. No reason for the Leafs to move Rielly. They are more likely to look at moving someone like Nylander or Kapanen or so on. They don't have an elite D man after Rielly, so why move someone who's hard to replace? And if for some reason Rielly did want out and if Toronto even considered trading him within the division (which I also doubt), they'd likely be asking us for something along the lines of Suzuki + Romanov + a 1st. They need cheap talent that can play right away, and even then, this trade wouldn't replace what they lost because we have nothing to offer them in that regard.

This is not really a rumour just a question but this thread made the most sense. 

Norlinder signed an extention with Modo back in December with an out clause. The condition was IF Modo did not qualify for the SHL premier series than Norlinder can break his contract. Modo ended up qualifying for promotion before the season was cancelled. So I would assume that means Norlinder is under contract. However when they cancelled the season they announced that there would be no promotion or demotion in the league this year. Does that mean that Norlinder can now enforce his out clause and come over to Laval or is he still under contract?

The Athletic reporting that Max Domi is one player the Wild are considering as a target for an off-season trade.

Dans Les Coulisses reporting that the Habs and Wild were even in talks to make this happen at the trade deadline and that the Wild had offered a defenceman plus a pick for Domi. As we've discussed before, the target IMO should be Dumba, although I don't think we'd get a pick with him if that were the return.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

The Athletic reporting that Max Domi is one player the Wild are considering as a target for an off-season trade.

Dans Les Coulisses reporting that the Habs and Wild were even in talks to make this happen at the trade deadline and that the Wild had offered a defenceman plus a pick for Domi. As we've discussed before, the target IMO should be Dumba, although I don't think we'd get a pick with him if that were the return.

Weise could throw in a spare Weal.:ph34r:

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Does Domi have a NTC or NMC in his contract? 

• H_T_L locked this topic