The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

Just now, campabee82 said:

Technically it is "you are"

Signed the grammar police :6416:

It's not technically "you are",  admit it,,,, you spelled (it's not grammar, it's spelling) "you're" wrong. 

Please don't spit. I'm trying to social distance.  :P

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Eklund is reporting Habs are in on both Hall and Krug. Guess that means neither are headed to Montreal!

Krug certainly won't come, he's a ruin, and that means he won't play for the hated Habs.

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Eklund is reporting Habs are in on both Hall and Krug. Guess that means neither are headed to Montreal!

Our use of the cap room is certainly a weapon (imminent signings are really only Domi, Mete, Juulsen and a cheap Kovalchuk so that is not much - perhaps they do buy out Alzner this year)  - I am not convinced Krug is the best use given the Alzner experience and the likely term vs. his age., and certainly not Pietrangelo

Here's a few options - 1) Offer Sheet the cap constrained teams one of - Vince Dunn (STL), Sergachev (TB but expensive in picks)., Pierre Luc Dubois (CBJ) - mortgaging a few draft picks but our prospect pool is fairly solid after this year 2) Free agent routes - Hall but not much else 3) pick up some dead contracts in exchange for draft picks this year or even next year's draft

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Krug certainly won't come, he's a ruin, and that means he won't play for the hated Habs.

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Drug's reportedly good relationship with CJ might entice him into signing with the Habs, doubtful but it is a possibility.

Yah, I dont think the rivalry would stop him.   Krug has spoken many times (and was quite outspoken when Julien was fired) about his relationship with Claude.  Im not saying it will be the thing that brings him here - i also think the bruins will be pushing very hard to keep him - plus we dont even know if Claude will ever be back (maybe he decides its time to retire) but I do think there's an option there & i sure hope MB is exploring it.  Krug is exactly the type of player we need on this roster. 

I think the biggest impediment to a guy like Krug coming here is Marc Bergevin. He seems set on Weber and Petry staying here though next year and maybe trying to extend Petry. And on the left, he clearly views Chiarot as the top 4 D man he's not, in addition to probably thinking Romanov will be able to step in right away. I think MB views that as his top 4 next year and I'm just not sure he's going to be willing to invest in another guy. Not to mention that the Seattle ED occurs after next year, so if he adds a guy like Krug and re-signs Petry, then he's probably exposing Chiarot in the ED, which you know would eat him up. I think MB is far more likely to just stand pat on D and maybe wait to see if something falls to him around the ED, when he has cap space to maybe take on someone that another team can't protect.

Up front is where I think he's much more likely to be active. With Suzuki and Kotkaniemi emerging down the middle, the team is fairly set with those two, Danault, and maybe Evans. But it means he'll have decisions to make with respect to guys like Tatar, Drouin, Domi, and Poehling. I think any of those guys could be traded, as he tries to revamp his top 6. Domi really seems to have fallen out of favor with the team, perhaps in part because of contract negotiations (we've seen the Habs perhaps purposely trying to diminish value of players due for contracts before). And Drouin and Tatar have been disappointing in the playoffs and it's hard to view them as being here long-term. Likewise, the organization was apparently not happy with how Poehling reacted to demotion to the AHL, and we all know Bergevin is big on attitude as a factor on whether you stay here. Caufield is at least a year away, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ylonen get a shot to make the team, and Lehkonen, Armia, and Byron are probably sticking around in the bottom 6 next season.

So who might be buyers for one of Domi, Drouin, or Tatar? The Avs have to be up there, having heavily scouted us. I mentioned Minnesota as liking Domi. The Jets, Canucks, Preds, Stars, Oilers, Isles, and Pens could also be suitors. I would think Domi would have the highest value, just based on the perception he's a gamer, whereas Drouin has a reputation as being softer and potentially having a bad attitude based on how he exited Tampa, whereas Tatar is a UFA after next year. I would even wonder if a team looking for a shake-up after a disappointing season might entertain Domi, and that could include the likes of Toronto or Florida even within our own division.

As I said, if I were MB, I would try to target someone like Matt Dumba by dangling Domi. I would see if Colorado would consider moving Byram in some type of a deal centered around Drouin. And I would look at moving Tatar to a contender or up-and-coming team that thinks they have a shot next year... a Vancouver or the Isles, for example, who might be willing to move a 1st rounder to get him.

On 8/22/2020 at 0:16 PM, pcharnish said:

I'd be kicking some tires on Pietrangelo I have no idea what side defence he plays but I think he could help it depends on his asking price and length of contract 

Alex Pietrangelo does seem like the type of player Bergevin would covet. However, he's also a right-side defender, isn't he? I would assume Bergevin will be looking for left-handed shooting defenders during the off-season.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Alex Pietrangelo does seem like the type of player Bergevin would covet. However, he's also a right-side defender, isn't he? I would assume Bergevin will be looking for left-handed shooting defenders during the off-season.

MB won't sign Pietrangelo while he already has Petry and Weber. And I'd put the chances he trades Weber at close to 0% and the chances he trades Petry as minimal as well, unless there's really something like Petry coming to him and saying he definitely won't re-sign here after next season. I also think the odds Pietrangelo chooses to play here next year would be close to 0% too. That said, it would be a masterful coup to sign Pietrangelo and trade Weber or Petry for a good return, thus ending up no worse for wear on the back end now AND having assets you're bringing in via trade. It will never happen though.

I dont think any free agent is coming here because we have a lot less money next year. I think the smart move is to take on another bad contract or two (with only one year left obviously). 

The only free agent that might be worth having some cap trouble next year is Torey Krug, I would be upset if we signed anyone else to a big contract

58 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I dont think any free agent is coming here because we have a lot less money next year. I think the smart move is to take on another bad contract or two (with only one year left obviously). 

The only free agent that might be worth having some cap trouble next year is Torey Krug, I would be upset if we signed anyone else to a big contract

I hate the idea of signing Pietrangelo - he's not the type of player we need being on the side of 31 in January - Did we not learn anything from the Alzner experience? Krug is a different type of skater and has some jam. Didn't you Pietrangelo shoppers want to see Jake Gardner here too? Jake's contract with his NTC (omg!), can be bought for some tape and a bag of pucks now. 

I would much rather give up assets for a Vince Dunn / Sergachev offer sheet, or for some LHD prospects such as Byram in Colorado, Heinola (Wpg), York (Philly), Broberg (Edmonton), Harley (Dallas) and preach the patience virtue.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:16 AM, pcharnish said:

I'd be kicking some tires on Pietrangelo I have no idea what side defence he plays but I think he could help it depends on his asking price and length of contract 

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

MB won't sign Pietrangelo while he already has Petry and Weber. And I'd put the chances he trades Weber at close to 0% and the chances he trades Petry as minimal as well, unless there's really something like Petry coming to him and saying he definitely won't re-sign here after next season. I also think the odds Pietrangelo chooses to play here next year would be close to 0% too. That said, it would be a masterful coup to sign Pietrangelo and trade Weber or Petry for a good return, thus ending up no worse for wear on the back end now AND having assets you're bringing in via trade. It will never happen though.

Yes, as mentioned, he plays RD.   You could theoretically sign him (no assets used up) and then be free to trade Petry but as BT mentioned, that seems unlikely.

I think if there's any D we target in free agency, it will be Torey Krug.   But i think Boston will do everything possible to resign him, and if Julien doesnt come back, we probably lose our leg up as they are apparently very big fans of each other. 

More fuel for the fire... reports that both Max Domi and Ryan Poehling have removed notice of their affiliation with the Habs off their social media accounts. Domi still has pictures of himself in a Habs uni up, but it no longer mentions he's a member of the Canadiens organization, and Poehling has also wiped clean any mention of an association. Both of these changes are new since the end of the playoffs.

Make what you want of it, but this isn't a he said-she said situation, this is guys actually publicly distancing themselves from the club they're signed with. So either they're mad and have privately asked to be moved or they've been told by management that they're likely going to be moved over the summer. This has to make you wonder if a trade is close though, and MB was pretty clear that he had the right to trade with other eliminated clubs already. Minnesota's already out. Calgary's out. Anaheim out. And so on. Got to figure there's a team out there willing to take a flyer on two young centermen who were former 1st rounders. As a package, they could definitely bring back a top 3 D man or top scoring winger.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

More fuel for the fire... reports that both Max Domi and Ryan Poehling have removed notice of their affiliation with the Habs off their social media accounts. Domi still has pictures of himself in a Habs uni up, but it no longer mentions he's a member of the Canadiens organization, and Poehling has also wiped clean any mention of an association. Both of these changes are new since the end of the playoffs.

Make what you want of it, but this isn't a he said-she said situation, this is guys actually publicly distancing themselves from the club they're signed with. So either they're mad and have privately asked to be moved or they've been told by management that they're likely going to be moved over the summer. This has to make you wonder if a trade is close though, and MB was pretty clear that he had the right to trade with other eliminated clubs already. Minnesota's already out. Calgary's out. Anaheim out. And so on. Got to figure there's a team out there willing to take a flyer on two young centermen who were former 1st rounders. As a package, they could definitely bring back a top 3 D man or top scoring winger.

Where is this being reported? I'm surprised either of them would do that, they must be upset. I definitely don't mind moving Domi, I'd be disappointed if we had to move on from Poehling already. If the reports are true, it definitely lowers their trade value

40 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Where is this being reported? I'm surprised either of them would do that, they must be upset. I definitely don't mind moving Domi, I'd be disappointed if we had to move on from Poehling already. If the reports are true, it definitely lowers their trade value

Bunch of Habs' tweeters, TVA reporters, Dans Les Coulisses... lots of places. You can also just search Domi or Poehling on twitter or instagram yourself and see that their profile descriptions no longer include any mention of being a Habs player.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Bunch of Habs' tweeters, TVA reporters, Dans Les Coulisses... lots of places. You can also just search Domi or Poehling on twitter or instagram yourself and see that their profile descriptions no longer include any mention of being a Habs player.

Personally I don't read to much into what anyone has on 'social media" sites. I don't even know if all players have social sites. I could see how this could get overblown thought and not really mean anything. I'm not saying that it might but I wouldn't see it as a big deal. 

13 hours ago, habsisme said:

Thing is though, if Bouchard and Co think he is not going to pan out, his trade value may continue to go down. 

Many of us didnt want to trade him last summer (when his value was likely an all time high) but now I think that might have been the best option. 

12 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I heard that teams out of the POs. could make trades amongst themselves. Does anyone know if that's true? 

In a normal year thats always been the case. It rarely happens (except minor deals) because GMs usually want a bit of a break and also they dont want to take away from the 'real news' of teams still in the hunt, but technically it should be allowed, assuming they didnt change anything for this odd season. 

55 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Were their Montreal affiliations removed from social media or did they ever have them there to begin with?

In Domi's case, removed. I dont think i ever saw Poehling's SM accounts. 

With Domi removing his social media affiliations, there's been some increased rumours out there.  One team he seems to be tied to, from a bunch of sources is Pittsburgh. I think there's 2 things:  1) the Domi family & the Lemieux family are close and 2) the Penns apparently tried to acquire him back when we traded Galchenyuk for him, so there's been past interest. Pittsburgh has publicly said they want to "shake things up" this summer via trade(s).

The closest thing ive found to a 'rumour" is probably more of a wish but the frame work is:

Domi 

for

Jared McCann + Pierre-Olivier Joseph

I feel like there might be some tweaking but I like the deal in principle.  Domi is more offensively gifted than McCann but the latter is a way better 200 ft player.  Joseph is an intriguing prospect.

That said, id still rather move domi + and get a sure-fire top 3 LHD. 

14 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Personally I don't read to much into what anyone has on 'social media" sites. I don't even know if all players have social sites. I could see how this could get overblown thought and not really mean anything. I'm not saying that it might but I wouldn't see it as a big deal. 

In Domi's case I think it is a big deal ... the moment he was traded to us he updated Twitter/Instagram with his status as a player for the Habs.   So to now suddenly remove all that hints at things behind the scenes.

• H_T_L locked this topic