The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

How about Domi to the Leafs for Nylander? They get Cap relief, another Domi gets to play for the Leafs, and we end up with some scoring help on the wing.

I also like the Mantha idea someone brought up. We may have to add but Domi could actually play center in Detroit, as they aren't exacty deep at C. Well, they aren't ecactly deep anywhere, so they may be open to swap Mantha for something like Domi+Mete.

5 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

How about Domi to the Leafs for Nylander? They get Cap relief, another Domi gets to play for the Leafs, and we end up with some scoring help on the wing.

I also like the Mantha idea someone brought up. We may have to add but Domi could actually play center in Detroit, as they aren't exacty deep at C. Well, they aren't ecactly deep anywhere, so they may be open to swap Mantha for something like Domi+Mete.

Im not a big fan of Nylander.  A couple of years ago I was pushing hard for him but i havent see a great deal of development since then. 

Honestly, more so than Mantha Id still rather explore the idea of using Domi to get a top 3 LHD.  I know we need a scoring winger in a major way but I also think that unless we can somehow get a like legit 40g scorer via trade (seems highly unlikely) most of the guys we'd likely acquire wouldnt be a ton better than some of the prending UFA wingers.   A UFA LH defensman (aside from Krug) is probably not going to happen, so lets fill that hole via trade.

To me, these are our holes:

- Backup Goalie:  UFA 
- LHD : Trade
- Scoring winger:   Kovalchuk (UFA) seems likely + sign one other winger, ie:  Hall (very unlikely), Dadonov (underrated), Granlund, Toffoli etc.   You're not getting someone elite (other than Kovalchuk who obviously is a bit past his prime) but you may well get a 40-50 point winger out of the rest. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im not a big fan of Nylander.  A couple of years ago I was pushing hard for him but i havent see a great deal of development since then. 

Honestly, more so than Mantha Id still rather explore the idea of using Domi to get a top 3 LHD.  I know we need a scoring winger in a major way but I also think that unless we can somehow get a like legit 40g scorer via trade (seems highly unlikely) most of the guys we'd likely acquire wouldnt be a ton better than some of the prending UFA wingers.   A UFA LH defensman (aside from Krug) is probably not going to happen, so lets fill that hole via trade.

To me, these are our holes:

- Backup Goalie:  UFA 
- LHD : Trade
- Scoring winger:   Kovalchuk (UFA) seems likely + sign one other winger, ie:  Hall (very unlikely), Dadonov (underrated), Granlund, Toffoli etc.   You're not getting someone elite (other than Kovalchuk who obviously is a bit past his prime) but you may well get a 40-50 point winger out of the rest. 

I don't watch a whole lot of Leafs games but he just had a pretty good season, didn't he? Not sure how much of that is attributable to playing with Matthews, Tavares, Marner etc. but he's still a scoring RW which is a position we're just not very deep at. He's definitely not in the elite category but better offensively than the guys we currently have I think.

I totally get your point though, we also still need that LHD. If Domi can get us a guy who complements Weber better than Chiarot, I'm all for it. As for a backup for Carey, I'm not overly concerned. There certainly will be UFA goalies available, we just need to sign someone to a 2-year deal to expose him in the ED.

Not sure signing Hall (or any other overpriced UFA) is a great idea, we'll need some money in 2021 to extend guys like Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Tatar, Armia, and Petry (if they're all still in the plans by then). That said, it's difficult to say how the current situation affects free agency. Maybe some guys could be had for cheap, as there likely will be less demand.

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

In a normal year thats always been the case. It rarely happens (except minor deals) because GMs usually want a bit of a break and also they dont want to take away from the 'real news' of teams still in the hunt, but technically it should be allowed, assuming they didnt change anything for this odd season. 

Well Pittsburgh and Toronto just made a deal.

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

What about a 3-way between Habs, Leafs and Wings..?

Leafs get Domi, Chiarot and one of Dey’s acquired 2nd’s.

Detroit get Nylander, Muzzin, Poehling and our latest 2nd.

Habs get Mantha and Det’s 2nd.

We get that big, scoring winger while turning our last 2nd pick into the first 2nd.

Leafs swap out a little bit of skill, but in doing so free up cap space to make a move on Pietrangelo (which I assume they’d like to do) without loosing too much.

and Detroit makes out like bandits, I assume for Yzerman to make any move he’s going to have to be given no choice.

lol I know, it’s a little out there...

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

What about a 3-way between Habs, Leafs and Wings..?

Leafs get Domi, Chiarot and one of Dey’s acquired 2nd’s.

Detroit get Nylander, Muzzin, Poehling and our latest 2nd.

Habs get Mantha and Det’s 2nd.

We get that big, scoring winger while turning our last 2nd pick into the first 2nd.

Leafs swap out a little bit of skill, but in doing so free up cap space to make a move on Pietrangelo (which I assume they’d like to do) without loosing too much.

and Detroit makes out like bandits, I assume for Yzerman to make any move he’s going to have to be given no choice.

lol I know, it’s a little out there...

I feel like if we give up Domi, Chiarot, Poehling and a 2nd, we need to be getting back a top quality LHD.  

Chiarot may not be as good as the HNIC peeps seem to think he is, but in this scenario we'd actually be getting worse on the blueline, not better. 

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I feel like if we give up Domi, Chiarot, Poehling and a 2nd, we need to be getting back a top quality LHD.  

Chiarot may not be as good as the HNIC peeps seem to think he is, but in this scenario we'd actually be getting worse on the blueline, not better. 

I agree to an extent. None of the names I included in my proposition are players I don’t like, including Chiarot. My proposal definitely didn’t address our gap at LD, and your right, loosing Chiarot without replacing him would absolutely leave us worse off in that department. It was very much aimed at Mantha. Although I do think there is some room in there to add a little something extra coming back our way, I didn’t see anything on either the Leafs or Wings rosters that would serve that purpose. 

I suppose we could entertain offering a similar package up for a top pair LD, but I see two roadblocks. One, I’m having a hard time spotting an LD that fits what we’re looking for, that I believe would also be available. And two, a package as grand as the one I laid out is geared towards a 3-way trade, with pieces being spread between two other teams. I’m not sure any one team would be interested in such a large package, but would instead insist on a smaller suit of assets of higher quality, pieces we’re trying not to trade.

Free agency is pretty slim pickings this year regardless of if we’re looking at LD or forwards. Trades look tough as well, but I feel like we might have better luck swinging for the fences for a winger than a defensmen. But I’m open to anything, I’m just afraid that the type of LD Domi + would afford us would be underwhelming. I am down to hear some suggestions though. Lol it would give me something to look into :P

We could also just stand pat, or make a could dunk and dunk moves, just enough to buy time until Romanov, Nordstrom and Caufield are ready to go.

You’ve mentioned Brodin. Although I don’t think he’s worth trading Domi for, he does look interesting enough to consider for a lesser price. Perhaps Lehkonen and Poehling for Brodin and a 2nd?

Has Minnesota expressed any interest in shedding Suters contract? He’s old, but looks to still have some gas in the tank. For a fair price he might make a good bandaid for the short term. Hefty cap hit, but I’d be surprised if, like Weber, he plans on playing through the last few years of his contract for the pocket change he’d actually be making. Just an idea since we’re looking at Minnesota. And hey, reuniting Weber and Suter, that could be fun to watch!

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I agree to an extent. None of the names I included in my proposition are players I don’t like, including Chiarot. My proposal definitely didn’t address our gap at LD, and your right, loosing Chiarot without replacing him would absolutely leave us worse off in that department. It was very much aimed at Mantha. Although I do think there is some room in there to add a little something extra coming back our way, I didn’t see anything on either the Leafs or Wings rosters that would serve that purpose. 

I suppose we could entertain offering a similar package up for a top pair LD, but I see two roadblocks. One, I’m having a hard time spotting an LD that fits what we’re looking for, that I believe would also be available. And two, a package as grand as the one I laid out is geared towards a 3-way trade, with pieces being spread between two other teams. I’m not sure any one team would be interested in such a large package, but would instead insist on a smaller suit of assets of higher quality, pieces we’re trying not to trade.

Free agency is pretty slim pickings this year regardless of if we’re looking at LD or forwards. Trades look tough as well, but I feel like we might have better luck swinging for the fences for a winger than a defensmen. But I’m open to anything, I’m just afraid that the type of LD Domi + would afford us would be underwhelming. I am down to hear some suggestions though. Lol it would give me something to look into :P

All valid points.  The problem is not knowing what MB is planning/targeting - and if he does have some inside tracks on some players.  Kovalchuk seems like a very strong possibility to return. He's not a 1st line player any more but 2nd/3rd he'll be solid.  MB said signing a quality backup was a priority.  So that leaves us with probably 2 holes:  One more scoring winger and a LHD.   

Is Krug on the radar?  Does Julien have enough pull with him? will Julien even be back?  etc.  Lots of questions. Im assuming MB knows some of the answers. 

LIkewise he could make a very bold move and sign  Pietrangelo and then trade one of Petry or Weber.  Wont happen but there are a lot of options for him. 

31 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

We could also just stand pat, or make a could dunk and dunk moves, just enough to buy time until Romanov, Nordstrom and Caufield are ready to go.

You’ve mentioned Brodin. Although I don’t think he’s worth trading Domi for, he does look interesting enough to consider for a lesser price. Perhaps Lehkonen and Poehling for Brodin and a 2nd?

Has Minnesota expressed any interest in shedding Suters contract? He’s old, but looks to still have some gas in the tank. For a fair price he might make a good bandaid for the short term. Hefty cap hit, but I’d be surprised if, like Weber, he plans on playing through the last few years of his contract for the pocket change he’d actually be making. Just an idea since we’re looking at Minnesota. And hey, reuniting Weber and Suter, that could be fun to watch!

I think there's a 50/50 chance MB stands pat on defense.  I think he viewed our top 4 this playoffs as "good enough" to get things done and knowing we have Romanov coming, Mete with another year experience, guys like Norlinder, Harris, Stuble etc coming... 

Im not sold on Brodin but if he came cheap I think he'd be our #1 left dman until some of the aforementioned prospects were ready. 

Ive toyed with the idea of suter for a while. Minny would have to be serious about a rebuild though because losing him would hurt them a lot.   Suter/Weber would probably be great again but you'd need to manage their ice time all year.  We saw what a fresh Weber can do. Most years, after 82 games at 24+ minutes a night, he wont be that good. I wouldnt give up a lot to get him either because he's very clearly a band-aid solution.  Could see MB having a lot of interest in re-uniting that pairing. 

I was one of the guys not overly thrilled with getting Domi. People say he plays with an edge but to me guys like him and Shaw are just players that can hurt you as easily as they can help you. The selfish and sometimes dumb penalties just don't fly with me. Trading him wouldn't upset me in the least.

As for JD,,,,, there's another guy who just floats too much for my liking. He may be a 40 to 50 point guy but just how many times has he cost us points because of a lazy play or one of those stupid telegraphed drop passes to the other team? Willing to bet if we deducted those points from his total production you'd get a run of the mill 3rd liner production wise, rather then the advertised top 6 guy that he supposedly is. Another guy i wouldn't cry over dumping..

So another story leading to rumors... Danault did an interview with the French media where he said he was disappointed that he was dropped to the 3rd line in favor of Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. He added that he does not see himself as a purely defensive player and wants to be played in an offensive role. He said that he, Tatar, and Gallagher have chemistry and they should have been kept together. Then he threw out one more comment about how he is seriously reflecting on whether he would stay here long-term and that it would affect his decision if he wasn't kept on a scoring line.

I really like Danault as a player. Great two-way guy, maybe the best 3rd-line center in the league. But he's kidding himself if he thinks he's a #1 center or that he has better offensive upside than Suzuki or Kotkaniemi. The guy has never scored more than 13 goals and his maximum point total was 53, put up in a year where he stayed healthy the entire season and got to play on the #1 line for the full year. So that tells you that's pretty much where his peak potential is. No team can move forward thinking their #1 center is a 50-55 point player. What you have when you have that is a bad team. I think Danault can reasonably argue he should be getting 17-18 minutes a night and he'll likely still get decent wingers on our 3rd line going forward (the likes of Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, maybe even a Domi or Ylonen or so on depending on how things play out). But if he thinks he's a top-line center and won't re-sign here if he's not given that role, then he should be traded this off-season.

35 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So another story leading to rumors... Danault did an interview with the French media where he said he was disappointed that he was dropped to the 3rd line in favor of Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. He added that he does not see himself as a purely defensive player and wants to be played in an offensive role. He said that he, Tatar, and Gallagher have chemistry and they should have been kept together. Then he threw out one more comment about how he is seriously reflecting on whether he would stay here long-term and that it would affect his decision if he wasn't kept on a scoring line.

I really like Danault as a player. Great two-way guy, maybe the best 3rd-line center in the league. But he's kidding himself if he thinks he's a #1 center or that he has better offensive upside than Suzuki or Kotkaniemi. The guy has never scored more than 13 goals and his maximum point total was 53, put up in a year where he stayed healthy the entire season and got to play on the #1 line for the full year. So that tells you that's pretty much where his peak potential is. No team can move forward thinking their #1 center is a 50-55 point player. What you have when you have that is a bad team. I think Danault can reasonably argue he should be getting 17-18 minutes a night and he'll likely still get decent wingers on our 3rd line going forward (the likes of Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, maybe even a Domi or Ylonen or so on depending on how things play out). But if he thinks he's a top-line center and won't re-sign here if he's not given that role, then he should be traded this off-season.

I really think it's hard to compare Danaults goals points against another center unless that other center gets about zero time on the PP. take away PP points and see where the top guys rank. He actually might surprise if he was given a consistent (not occasional) position on the PP. I think a lot of top rated guys are over ratted because of their PP production. IMO Toews outplayed McDavid in the Chicago series because he played all the critical times in the game. Look at all the top stars out while guys like Bergeron are still in. I think Suzuki definitely will be a #1 center because of how smart he plays and his hockey IQ. JK  had some lucky goals in the playoffs and looked better in some games. But I don't know if I'd say JK is already better than Danault. Also game 5 when he did put Danault back with Gally. Tatar was Gally's best game and the line looked great. If the center can shut down others while helping his line mates both score 30 +/- than he's doing a great job. He also owned Pitts in the face off circle. But I think how it ended with Suziki with Drouin /Domi looked good or Suzuki /Drouin /Armia . Keep Danault's line together and build around JK then next. 

33 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I really think it's hard to compare Danaults goals points against another center unless that other center gets about zero time on the PP. take away PP points and see where the top guys rank. He actually might surprise if he was given a consistent (not occasional) position on the PP. I think a lot of top rated guys are over ratted because of their PP production. IMO Toews outplayed McDavid in the Chicago series because he played all the critical times in the game. Look at all the top stars out while guys like Bergeron are still in. I think Suzuki definitely will be a #1 center because of how smart he plays and his hockey IQ. JK  had some lucky goals in the playoffs and looked better in some games. But I don't know if I'd say JK is already better than Danault. Also game 5 when he did put Danault back with Gally. Tatar was Gally's best game and the line looked great. If the center can shut down others while helping his line mates both score 30 +/- than he's doing a great job. He also owned Pitts in the face off circle. But I think how it ended with Suziki with Drouin /Domi looked good or Suzuki /Drouin /Armia . Keep Danault's line together and build around JK then next. 

I think this is the question: it's not whether Danault is a valuable player, it's whether his value best serves the team by his being on the #1 line. I would wonder about the following:

- If Danault's peak output is 50-55 points, then could another player given the best wingers do more?

- Could those wingers do better with a better offensive center?

- Would Danault's value drop off by playing him with 3rd line wingers? In other words, if a Danault 1st line scores 70 goals and allows 50, is that any better than a 3rd line that scores 50 and allows 30?

- Would Kotkaniemi or Suzuki's value be lower playing with 3rd line wingers? And I think this could be the biggest argument... JK is a great passer, great vision, good shot when he's open, better at getting to the net, etc. But if you play him with Lehkonen and Poehling, his skills are likely wasted. Play him with guys who can finish the chances he creates, and the difference could be quite significant. Danault creates less but prevents more in our own end. If he's paired with players who finish less, maybe it matters less. In stats terms, let's say Danault creates 10 scoring chances a game for his linemates and Kotkaniemi creates 20. If you put each guy with a winger who converts 10% of those, then it's an extra goal for by having JK as the center instead of Danault. If you have a guy who converts 20% then it's a difference of 2 goals, etc. Harder to measure relative defensive impact perhaps, but I think Suzuki has shown he's pretty smart and reliable defensively and Kotkaniemi isn't awful, he just needs coaching.

I don't think you can afford to pay Gallagher, Danault, and Tatar as impending free agents and keep them all around AND build two more sets of top 6 wingers for Suzuki and JK. Has to be a choice... and between those 3, I think JK and Suzuki can get more out of scoring wingers and I think Danault's play drops off less by playing with lesser wingers.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

As for JD,,,,, there's another guy who just floats too much for my liking. He may be a 40 to 50 point guy but just how many times has he cost us points because of a lazy play or one of those stupid telegraphed drop passes to the other team? Willing to bet if we deducted those points from his total production you'd get a run of the mill 3rd liner production wise, rather then the advertised top 6 guy that he supposedly is. Another guy i wouldn't cry over dumping..

Career stats for JD:

GP  G     A    PTS   +/-  PIM  PPG PPP  SHG SHP    GWG  OTG   S     S%

349   67  142  209     -51  124     20      76       0          0       15          2     689     9.7

Not too impressive for $5.5 million/year. And his NTC kicks in after next season.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I think this is the question: it's not whether Danault is a valuable player, it's whether his value best serves the team by his being on the #1 line. I would wonder about the following:

- If Danault's peak output is 50-55 points, then could another player given the best wingers do more?

- Could those wingers do better with a better offensive center?

- Would Danault's value drop off by playing him with 3rd line wingers? In other words, if a Danault 1st line scores 70 goals and allows 50, is that any better than a 3rd line that scores 50 and allows 30?

- Would Kotkaniemi or Suzuki's value be lower playing with 3rd line wingers? And I think this could be the biggest argument... JK is a great passer, great vision, good shot when he's open, better at getting to the net, etc. But if you play him with Lehkonen and Poehling, his skills are likely wasted. Play him with guys who can finish the chances he creates, and the difference could be quite significant. Danault creates less but prevents more in our own end. If he's paired with players who finish less, maybe it matters less. In stats terms, let's say Danault creates 10 scoring chances a game for his linemates and Kotkaniemi creates 20. If you put each guy with a winger who converts 10% of those, then it's an extra goal for by having JK as the center instead of Danault. If you have a guy who converts 20% then it's a difference of 2 goals, etc. Harder to measure relative defensive impact perhaps, but I think Suzuki has shown he's pretty smart and reliable defensively and Kotkaniemi isn't awful, he just needs coaching.

I don't think you can afford to pay Gallagher, Danault, and Tatar as impending free agents and keep them all around AND build two more sets of top 6 wingers for Suzuki and JK. Has to be a choice... and between those 3, I think JK and Suzuki can get more out of scoring wingers and I think Danault's play drops off less by playing with lesser wingers.

For me the fact he made those comments kind of seals his fate. is it team first or me first? we know how management feels about it!

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

Is Krug on the radar?  Does Julien have enough pull with him? will Julien even be back?  etc.  Lots of questions. Im assuming MB knows some of the answers.

I was, and continue to want to be optimistic about our chances signing Krug. They look like they’re going to have plenty of cap space and the Bruins are in such a good place as a team, it’s tough to imagine anyone opting out. I mean maybe if we offered him something crazy like 10+ million, but I don’t know...

But your right, hard to say what Bergevin has up his sleeve. This could be one wild off season!

6 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I was, and continue to want to be optimistic about our chances signing Krug. They look like they’re going to have plenty of cap space and the Bruins are in such a good place as a team, it’s tough to imagine anyone opting out. I mean maybe if we offered him something crazy like 10+ million, but I don’t know...

But your right, hard to say what Bergevin has up his sleeve. This could be one wild off season!

I would anticipate it being kind of a disappointing off-season... which is par for the course for Bergevin. He'll fail to fill our holes (or create new ones while filling others). He'll likely say, "it's difficult to do such and such a thing in today's NHL" in a press conference. We'll go into next season not being very different from what we are now.

I would anticipate missing the play-offs again next year. Year after year, Bergevin fails to take this team to even a moderately competitive level. I don't know why any of us should expect that to change next season.

I did a bit of research on the whole "removing team affiliations on social media thing" and apparently its happened before with a few players when they went RFA (lots do it when they are UFA obviously.

There's a thought that a suggestion may have actually come from their agents (I couldnt see if players who have done it in the past have the same agent as say, domi) but either way, it sounds like its probably not a huge deal in itself and does not indicate Bergevin is planning on trading domi (or that domi thinks he is) but more of a strategy as they go into contract negotiations.

I still think that there's a pretty legit chance domi is traded but time will tell. 

Going into this off-season, there are quite a few players I could live without. However, I don't really have faith that Bergevin will sort it out in a way that makes us more competitive moving forward. He'll probably rely on Romanov, a 20-year old who's never played a game in the NHL, to improve the D. There's nothing really in the prospect pipeline that screams "I'm ready to make an impact in the NHL next season."

If Danault doesn't like his role on the team, I say deal him. He's going to be our third line center moving forward. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi clearly have more offensive upside than Danault does.

58 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

If Danault doesn't like his role on the team, I say deal him. He's going to be our third line center moving forward. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi clearly have more offensive upside than Danault does.

The fact that Dano has been our #1 center for the last couple years shouldn't guarantee him that position going forward and he has to realize that he wouldn't be a #1 center on just about every team out there that is a serious playoff contender. His numbers just don't support that position. If that's his expectations then i think he's in for some serious disappointment. Fortunately for us, he has some high value  and should get us a good return if things go that way.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Of course Danault doesn’t like the idea of being a 3rd line C, who would? The guy has centred our most productive line for the last 3 seasons. I don’t disagree with you, I think ideally he will be our 3rd line center, realistically that’s where he belongs. But He doesn’t see it like that, nobody likes a demotion. It’s insulting, even if it’s warranted. Not to mention the financial ramifications that go along with it. So I don’t mind that it bothers him, I’d be disappointed if it didn’t. I just hope this leads to him coming out next year on a mission, and not being all “sour grapes” about it. But I suspect it’ll be a non issue.

I keep hearing rumblings of a deal between Calgary and Montreal involving Geadreau, if this seriously happens I think I would burn all my Habs memorabilia. The cost to aquire him I believe would be way more than he sis worth IMO, While a semi legit season player he has no playoff value whatsoever, and we already have that role filled with Domi. 

43 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I keep hearing rumblings of a deal between Calgary and Montreal involving Geadreau, if this seriously happens I think I would burn all my Habs memorabilia. The cost to aquire him I believe would be way more than he sis worth IMO, While a semi legit season player he has no playoff value whatsoever, and we already have that role filled with Domi. 

I dont particularly want Johnny Hockey on the team (i think Julien would hate him tbh)  but i do think that IF (and i think its a huge if) we did trade for him, domi would absolutely be the main piece going the other way, so you wouldnt have both.

I just honestly cant see MB having much interest and he's really bad defensively so I dont think he'd fit our system at all. I think its more of a case of calgary fans being fed up with him, looking around the league to see what's available & since Domi's name is on the block, making the connection.

Id be quite surprised to see us make any trade involving Gaudreau. 

• H_T_L locked this topic