The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

26 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I dont particularly want Johnny Hockey on the team (i think Julien would hate him tbh)  but i do think that IF (and i think its a huge if) we did trade for him, domi would absolutely be the main piece going the other way, so you wouldnt have both.

I just honestly cant see MB having much interest and he's really bad defensively so I dont think he'd fit our system at all. I think its more of a case of calgary fans being fed up with him, looking around the league to see what's available & since Domi's name is on the block, making the connection.

Id be quite surprised to see us make any trade involving Gaudreau. 

I could not agree more - soft!!! and overpriced 2 more years at $6.75m for no playoff heart. They have no prospects of interest - Jakob Pelletier is another small forward 5ft 9 and we have plenty of them. The only thing they have of interest is their #1 draft pick at spot 19. I see much more value in trading with a cap constrained team for both picks and / or a d-man whose salary may be a little high relative to their team.  Perhaps I am overplaying my cap space card but Calgary has $17M of cap space to resign Brodie, Hamonic quality replacements plus probably 2 other D and , a backup goalie, and 2 forwards, so they are probably fine, but not improving much over their current lineup unless they swing a trade.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I dont particularly want Johnny Hockey on the team (i think Julien would hate him tbh)  but i do think that IF (and i think its a huge if) we did trade for him, domi would absolutely be the main piece going the other way, so you wouldnt have both.

I just honestly cant see MB having much interest and he's really bad defensively so I dont think he'd fit our system at all. I think its more of a case of calgary fans being fed up with him, looking around the league to see what's available & since Domi's name is on the block, making the connection.

Id be quite surprised to see us make any trade involving Gaudreau. 

I certainly hope your right!!  This time of year is always frustrating when you have a limp biscuit like MB in the drivers seat. 

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Not a rumour just a thought. With Nashville put out in the Play-in series could a rebuild be in order and if so would they consider this

Ekholm + Duchene (1.5 Mil retained)

For

Mete + 16th OVA + Juulsen + Poehling + 2 2nds 2020

IMO I think that would be a huge over payment. I just don't think Duchene is that great and we already have enough centers. It's not like he helped them in the play in. I also am not on board with giving up on Poehling so quickly. I think he could definetly be better than Evans and maybe even be a winger with size, something the team needs. 

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Not a rumour just a thought. With Nashville put out in the Play-in series could a rebuild be in order and if so would they consider this

For

That's ridiculous,3 young players that really have not yet tapped their potential, plus 3 draft picks for 2 players that are about to enter the backside of their careers? 

As a guide for "deals", I am going to examine the likelihood (he who has the gold of cap room, picks, prospects or valuable player contracts have the upper hand), strengths and weaknesses of a deal with one of the 7 Central division teams - I picked the Central since the habs are unlikely to deal within their conference / division - in a few days I may do the same for the Pacific depending on feedback

St. Louis - likelihood moderate (cap room $3M can barely resign Vince Dunn and are likely to lose Pietrangelo). Have aged overpaid players like Alex Steen / Schwartz who have NTC's, and are unlikely to be moved. Blues have no prospects of interest. Their only trading piece is their #1 pick which is #25-28. Habs can only offer them cap room relief, lower level picks or some cheap players like Mete, maybe Domi

Nashville - Likelihood - Moderate Cap room $9.3M and need replacement pieces. Spent the vault on Long term contacts Turris, Duchene, Johansen, Forsberg, and 2 d in Ellis and Josi - their forward core is unlikely to change. May buy a D in free agency. Have #11 and #37 picks. Only prospect of interest is RW Philip Tomasino. What could habs offer to meet their needs given their forward contracted locks.

Chicago - Likelihood low to moderate  - $18M of cap room if RHD Seabrook and Shaw are not coming back soon. Losing a top goalie in Crawford. Have 15th overall pick. Only prospect of interest is RHD Adam Boqvist who is likely insurance for Seabrook. Window closing on Toews and Kane so some desperation? Seems to have enough depth at LW-C - thus no need for Domi or Danualt

Minnesota - Likelihood Moderate - $16.2M of cap room so not crunched. Need to replace Center - Koivu and likely need some splash / pizzazz. No prospects - Filip Johansen looks like a dud. Have 9th & 39th picks. RHD Dumba and LHD Jonas Brodin have trade value

Winnipeg - Likelihood - low - $15.6M-$21M depends on Bryan Little recovery. Very weak on defence - only prospect of interest is LHD Ville Heinola which suspect they will keep. Losing Kulikov - suspect they may resign him or buy a couple of d-men in free agency. Have #10 and #40 picks this year. Top 6 forwards are stacked so what could habs offer?

Colorado - Likelihood - low $22M of cap room - well positioned for success with young team, and no desperation for a trade / improvement depending on playoff battle with Dallas. Major overhaul not needed. Have a low 1st rounder pick and a LHD prospect of interest Bowen Byram. If they resign Nikita Zadorov Avs' have Zad, Girard, Cole down the left side, which makes Cole or Byram expendable.  Could upgrade at centre - Tyson Jost has underachieved. Not sure Habs have much to offer or any leverage beyond some forwards like Domi etc.

Dallas - Likelihood low - $18.5M of cap room - 5 forwards with NMC and likely will resign Gurianov.  - most of their forward core is set. On D their top 4 is set with the expected RFA signing of Heiskanen. #1 pick in the 25-31 range which they may trade depends on result with Colorado.  LHD prospect Thomas Harley is attractive to habs - what could habs offer that pushes Dallas over the top?

Thoughts and critiques welcomed

1 hour ago, claremont said:

As a guide for "deals", I am going to examine the likelihood (he who has the gold of cap room, picks, prospects or valuable player contracts have the upper hand), strengths and weaknesses of a deal with one of the 7 Central division teams - I picked the Central since the habs are unlikely to deal within their conference / division - in a few days I may do the same for the Pacific depending on feedback

St. Louis - likelihood moderate (cap room $3M can barely resign Vince Dunn and are likely to lose Pietrangelo). Have aged overpaid players like Alex Steen / Schwartz who have NTC's, and are unlikely to be moved. Blues have no prospects of interest. Their only trading piece is their #1 pick which is #25-28. Habs can only offer them cap room relief, lower level picks or some cheap players like Mete, maybe Domi

Nashville - Likelihood - Moderate Cap room $9.3M and need replacement pieces. Spent the vault on Long term contacts Turris, Duchene, Johansen, Forsberg, and 2 d in Ellis and Josi - their forward core is unlikely to change. May buy a D in free agency. Have #11 and #37 picks. Only prospect of interest is RW Philip Tomasino. What could habs offer to meet their needs given their forward contracted locks.

Chicago - Likelihood low to moderate  - $18M of cap room if RHD Seabrook and Shaw are not coming back soon. Losing a top goalie in Crawford. Have 15th overall pick. Only prospect of interest is RHD Adam Boqvist who is likely insurance for Seabrook. Window closing on Toews and Kane so some desperation? Seems to have enough depth at LW-C - thus no need for Domi or Danualt

Minnesota - Likelihood Moderate - $16.2M of cap room so not crunched. Need to replace Center - Koivu and likely need some splash / pizzazz. No prospects - Filip Johansen looks like a dud. Have 9th & 39th picks. RHD Dumba and LHD Jonas Brodin have trade value

Winnipeg - Likelihood - low - $15.6M-$21M depends on Bryan Little recovery. Very weak on defence - only prospect of interest is LHD Ville Heinola which suspect they will keep. Losing Kulikov - suspect they may resign him or buy a couple of d-men in free agency. Have #10 and #40 picks this year. Top 6 forwards are stacked so what could habs offer?

Colorado - Likelihood - low $22M of cap room - well positioned for success with young team, and no desperation for a trade / improvement depending on playoff battle with Dallas. Major overhaul not needed. Have a low 1st rounder pick and a LHD prospect of interest Bowen Byram. If they resign Nikita Zadorov Avs' have Zad, Girard, Cole down the left side, which makes Cole or Byram expendable.  Could upgrade at centre - Tyson Jost has underachieved. Not sure Habs have much to offer or any leverage beyond some forwards like Domi etc.

Dallas - Likelihood low - $18.5M of cap room - 5 forwards with NMC and likely will resign Gurianov.  - most of their forward core is set. On D their top 4 is set with the expected RFA signing of Heiskanen. #1 pick in the 25-31 range which they may trade depends on result with Colorado.  LHD prospect Thomas Harley is attractive to habs - what could habs offer that pushes Dallas over the top?

Some good analysis. I think that for some GMs you're right on the money.  Others though, if there's a player available, will do everything in their power to get them.  I have no doubt that MB was like "we need to get a player like Shea Weber, at any cost" and when he became available, the only player MB wouldnt have trade for him, was Price. 

So while I think you're right, its unlikely a team like Colorado would deal with us, if say, Price was available (and willing to waive his no trade clause) and they felt he was the missing piece to getting them a cup, I think they'd do it.

GMs can be strange (and illogical) people at times.

32 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Edmonton is probably on that list and "low to moderate" ... rumor is they'll be looking to move 2 of their top 4 D to make room for Bouchard/Broberg in exchange for upfront talent ... Drouin, Domi, Tatar etc all come to mind

Obviously id try to talk them into trading either Bouchard or Broberg (likely not happening!) but failing that, Id still love to nab Nurse or Klefbom. I know they arent kids any more but if you're giving up a 24-26 yr old then i dont mind taking back one in that age range at a position we're weaker at. I wouldnt give up 21 year olds for 27 year olds based on where our roster is at right now. 

14 hours ago, campabee82 said:

For

IMO Mete, Juulsen, and Poehling have very low trade value right now. I don't think they add much to the deal. I could see a team like Minnesota being interested in Poehling but thus far, he's several years out from his draft year, so he's venturing into bust territory (as in not likely to be a top 9 player even if he makes the NHL). Mete is a 3rd pairing D man. Juulsen is coming off serious injury issues and hasn't re-established himself. So all of those players are essentially throw-ins to a trade as is.

I don't see a need for us to acquire Duchene and I would have limited interest in Ekholm to be honest. Not that they aren't goo players but I don't see a need to get older and add that much salary and I don't see a need to give up 3 top picks. Conversely, I don't think Nashville is necessarily in rebuild mode and if they were, I think they could get a 2st rounder for each of Duchene or Ekholm, so they wouldn't be trading for a package of only one first-rounder.

If we're trading our first rounder, it should be because we're adding a top-4 LHD who is 26 or under. Don't see a good fit for this trade from either side.

24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Obviously id try to talk them into trading either Bouchard or Broberg (likely not happening!) but failing that, Id still love to nab Nurse or Klefbom. I know they arent kids any more but if you're giving up a 24-26 yr old then i dont mind taking back one in that age range at a position we're weaker at. I wouldnt give up 21 year olds for 27 year olds based on where our roster is at right now. 

Oilers are also somewhat in cap hell ... they have the odd piece they can move for relief (Russell etc) but say Klefbom + pick for Domi or Klef+pick for Drouin might work

15 hours ago, campabee82 said:

For

First ... we should have zero interest in Duchene.   We already have a log jam at C with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Domi and trying to find spots for all of those.    

Mete ... is worth a 4th or 5th rounder

Juulsen is now an unknown coming off a terrible injury and saw no PO action

Poehling was at best a 3rd line center potential (yes I know people think he was an offensive star, he wasn't) and appears to be on the Bust train.   And other GMs will see he's below Jake Evans on our depth chart.

So essentially that trade is Ekholm and Duchene for a 1st and two 2nds and Mete

I don't think the trade makes any sense for either team ... we don't need a center and as good as Ekholm is he's a marginal top LD and closer to a Petry (middle pair guy who can step and play top pair for stretches).

ok - I stimulated some more discussion so here is the Pacific Division analysis with kudos to HabsAlways and Maas_art for the edmonton comments - I agree with you

2nd guide for "deals", I am going to examine the likelihood (he who has the gold of cap room, picks, prospects or valuable player contracts have the upper hand, but some GM’s may be desperate to please their fan base on a sense of urgency to improve which is also a factor), strengths and weaknesses of a deal with one of the 8 Pacific division teams

Arizona - likelihood low (cap room $6.4M after relief for Hossa injury). Need to replace 4 forwards. They have little in assets having lost their 2020 1st and 2nd round draft picks but could be desperate for change and move some pieces. 4 of their D have NTC’s. Only prospect of interest to Habs is RHD Victor Soderstrom

Anaheim - Likelihood low - Cap room $7.3 assuming Kesler needs another year but Gudbranson comes back. In a rebuild mode with #6, #25-31st and #36 draft picks. Unlikely to give up 2019 top draft choice C – Trevor Zegras. 4 forwards with NTC’s including washed up David Backes and aging Ryan Getzlaf. Can’t see the habs giving them any value other than taking on a contract plus one of their draft picks for some spare Habs parts (like the Mason/Armia deal for Simon Bourque), but what would they do with that cap room? Anaheim simply not desperate enough.

Calgary - Likelihood low - $17.8M of cap room after LTIR. Fan base in discontented mode. Underachieving forwards. Have to replace 4 defencemen including RHD Hamonic and RHD TJ Brodie and get a better goalie than Rittick perhaps in free agency.  Have 20th and 51st overall pick. Only prospect of interest is LW Jakob Pelletier who is a little underwhelming IMO.  Likely to want to buyout or dump Lucic contract. Habs probably don’t want any of their players and only move is to take one of their contracts plus a draft pick for some spare parts to give them cap room (Mason/Armia for Simon Bourque)

Edmonton - Likelihood Moderate/High - $11M of cap room but need to replace #5,#6 defensemen which could be LD Philip Broberg  and RD Evan Bouchard both of which are intriguing to Habs. Those are two big if’s for a team aspiring to improve – so they could part with one for some more proven talent like Mete / Domi / Drouin Tatar etc., and get another D in free agency. Need to resign Athanasiou and a backup goalie so may make a moderate splash in free agency. Ken Holland has 14th overall pick and I do not see him trading it. Only other prospect is likely a RW Raphael Lavoie or possible interest in their wasted pick of RW Jesse Pulujarvi but unless one of those D-men is tossed in, we have enough under performing forwards

Los Angeles- Likelihood – very low - $20.7M cap room. Very weak on defence – they are in a rebuild mode. Have #2, #35, #50, #56 and #66 draft choices. Prospects Turcotte or Kaliyev have little value to Habs and we really have nothing much to offer them, other than some spare parts for draft picks or trade up / trade down or possibly for LHD Tobia Bjornfot who was a 2nd rounder.

San Jose - Likelihood – very low $20.5M of cap room after LTIR- in rebuild mode with picks #28 and #34 like LA above, they are weak on defense after Burns, Vlasic, Karlsson. I don’t think we can offer much value to their team, and vice-versa when I look at the long term nature of some of their veterans who are not coming here with NTC’s

Vancouver - Likelihood low - $17M of cap room – They would love to dump Lou Ericsson’s NTC large contract 2 more years at $6M. Their forwards are pretty set. They have no 1st or 2nd round picks, and underwhelming prospects of RHD Jett Woo, LHD Nils Hoglander and do we really need another Russian extraction project from the KHL of Vasili Podkolzin? They will be active in free agency to replace RHD Tanev and Stecher, and forward Tyler Toffoli.

Vegas – Likelihood low - $6.4M of cap room. One first rounder in pick #25-31 range, and no prospects of interest. Probably want out of NTC Paul Stastny Contract. Their need depends on their playoff results – they could upgrade their D but I don’t see the habs having much to offer this team

28 minutes ago, BornToBeAHab said:

A trade with Edmonton could be intriguing .How about MTL. Gets Edm. 14th pick,Pulujarvi,and Bouchard.Edmonton gets MTL.16th pick or  Ryan pheoeling ,Domi,Mete,and Juluson .MTL.could thow in one of their second rounders to get the deal done .

They won't trade Bouchard.  Full stop.

But they may go

To MTLs 1st (14th), Pulujarvi, Klefbom 

To EDM  1st (16th), Domi, Poehling  ( plus possibly  3-6th pick or one of Juul/Fleury/somebody

Edmonton's whole point is to trade 2 of Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse to free up room for Bouchard/Broberg on ELC (read CHEAP) contracts.    That means Bear, Bouchard, Broberg make their team next year ... I likely see them trying to shop Klefbom and Nurse leaving Larsson.

https://thehockeywriters.com/could-oilers-trade-two-top-four-defensemen/

6 hours ago, claremont said:

Really good work here, very thorough. I assume for prospects of interest you mainly just looked at the obvious names, but there might be a few more  worth looking into.

Nashville has a young RD Alexandre Carrier. Spent some time in the AHL already and looks like he’s at the right age to make his push. Anthony Richard is also somewhat interesting, but considerably less so. Also, Austin Watson (not a prospect) would be an interesting look on our 4th line.

With Chicago you mentioned Boqvist, but another young D (LD) that they got in that same draft was Nicolas Beaudin. I would definitely take a look at him.

Minnesota has Callen Addison (RD), Damien Giroux (C) and Adam Beckman (LW). 

Winnipeg I think you were spot on, not much else there that I could see.

In Dallas, along with Harley there is Ty Dellandrea (C)

And in Colorado they have Conor Timmons (RD) and Nick Henry (RW) to go along with the obvious target of Byram.

Some of these guys have been in their systems for a few years now, but still worth a look, and might be had for relatively cheap.

just my 2 cents here but I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel for filling out American arenas even into next year ...the projection is 300,000 + total US Covid deaths by Christmas based on no immediate vaccine and then treating 331 million people when they do get it which will take months if not years ....the point is that for hockey to resume it will probably have to continue being bubble wrapped . This factor alone might be a consideration for players who might want to keep their families safer in a Canadian atmosphere and perhaps even motivation to lower salary expectations no matter  the NHL decides to do . With no arena attendance money salaries will at the very least stay flat if not decrease ...all in all it's difficult to imagine anything near a complete season with players and their families separated for such an extended length of time ....if this is the case more players like Rask might opt out altogether 

11 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

just my 2 cents here but I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel for filling out American arenas even into next year ...the projection is 300,000 + total US Covid deaths by Christmas based on no immediate vaccine and then treating 331 million people when they do get it which will take months if not years ....the point is that for hockey to resume it will probably have to continue being bubble wrapped . This factor alone might be a consideration for players who might want to keep their families safer in a Canadian atmosphere and perhaps even motivation to lower salary expectations no matter  the NHL decides to do . With no arena attendance money salaries will at the very least stay flat if not decrease ...all in all it's difficult to imagine anything near a complete season with players and their families separated for such an extended length of time ....if this is the case more players like Rask might opt out altogether 

Lets also consider that any vaccine for Covid may be more like the Flu shot where you have to get one seasonally based on a prediction of what genetic version is coming next ... there may not be a full immune proof vaccine even.

15 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Lets also consider that any vaccine for Covid may be more like the Flu shot where you have to get one seasonally based on a prediction of what genetic version is coming next ... there may not be a full immune proof vaccine even.

I’m amazed at how many people are so skeptic of big pharma and the risks of more chemicals into their bodies from medical experts - a significant portion of the population will refuse any vaccine - the rumour of an even more deferred 2021 season is not that far fetched 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

RIght because Seth Jones was never traded.

Dougie Hamilton was also traded at age 22 and again at age 25. Samuel Girard was traded at 19. Tony Deangelo, who finished 4th in points for D men this past year, was traded at age 20 and again at age 21. Adam Fox was also traded twice at the age of 21. Shea Theodore, who I would consider to be Vegas' best D man, was traded at age 22. Brady Skjei and Jacob Trouba were both traded in their prime at age 25, while Zdeno Chara was traded at age 24 and became a #1 D man for another decade.

So yeah, I'd agree with you that those players are available if you want to find them. There are generally 2-3 ways to find them though:

1. You give up a similar player to get them. I'm sure if we dealt a Suzuki or Kotkaniemi, we could find someone who wants a young center who might give up a top young D man. Not the best strategy for us though with where we stand.

2. You acquire a player before they prove themselves. That's what happened with McDonagh and Sergachev. They were blue chip prospects but they were unproven when we dealt them. You look at a guy like Juolevi, who was drafted several spots before Sergachev and he's been a bust thus far. There's no guarantee that a high draft pick turns out and even more so with D men (who tend to develop later than forwards), so there's some amount of gamble here. But you also don't have to pay as much for a recent draft pick as for a guy whose already proven he can play in the NHL, like a Seth Jones or Heiskanen or Makar. Everyone knows those guys are studs now, so they're not available unless you're giving up something similar. But players like Bowen Byram, Victor Soderstrom, Philip Broberg, Noah Dobson, Adam Boqvist, etc. right now could be picked up for more reasonable prices.

3. The last way would generally be to find a player who's displeased with his team (like Adam Fox) or whose team is displeased with him (like Dougie Hamilton). You buy some baggage with that though, as we did with Drouin.

My approach as GM would be to go route #2 and take a bit of a gamble on a high-end prospect rather than giving up more up front, but it's certainly doable if we chose to go make that type of investment. I think Byram would be available for the right price. I think Dobson and Broberg could be available too. Those players all have the potential to be key cogs in a team led by Suzuki and Kotkaniemi and Romanov and Primeau and so on. They're not likely to be overly helpful to a team led by Weber and Petry and Price. That's the crux of things.

15 hours ago, maas_art said:

I really like that deal First Nurse as a target then Klefbom. RHD Bouchard is likely to fall into Mike Green’s vacancy for the Oilers, and they would be pretty strong down the right side with Larson Bear and Bouchard. Kris Russell on their left side has a NTC and at 33 I would not want him unless we are (unlikely to get a high draft pick with him). Broberg might be another year away from replacing Russell.  If Holland thinks they are in on the Torrey Krug sweepstakes Broberg could be available. 

13 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Really good work here, very thorough. I assume for prospects of interest you mainly just looked at the obvious names, but there might be a few more  worth looking into.

Nashville has a young RD Alexandre Carrier. Spent some time in the AHL already and looks like he’s at the right age to make his push. Anthony Richard is also somewhat interesting, but considerably less so. Also, Austin Watson (not a prospect) would be an interesting look on our 4th line.

With Chicago you mentioned Boqvist, but another young D (LD) that they got in that same draft was Nicolas Beaudin. I would definitely take a look at him.

Minnesota has Callen Addison (RD), Damien Giroux (C) and Adam Beckman (LW). 

Winnipeg I think you were spot on, not much else there that I could see.

In Dallas, along with Harley there is Ty Dellandrea (C)

And in Colorado they have Conor Timmons (RD) and Nick Henry (RW) to go along with the obvious target of Byram.

Some of these guys have been in their systems for a few years now, but still worth a look, and might be had for relatively cheap.

That’s a deep scout - thanks! 
Bergevin has been a master at some cheap deals Kulak, Byron, Armia etc. He has a few weapons for trade including moving up in the draft or cap room. I would like to see him take some proven talent or emerging high rated prospect talent and supplement with your thoughts above

14 hours ago, claremont said:

I’m amazed at how many people are so skeptic of big pharma and the risks of more chemicals into their bodies from medical experts - a significant portion of the population will refuse any vaccine - the rumour of an even more deferred 2021 season is not that far fetched 

Yes and the latest reports showed a man who had recovered from Covi-19 later  became infected again with another strain and it is also reported there is more than 1 other mutated version in existence  at this point . If the premise that a significant portion of the populace will refuse a vaccine ( and I think as well that's true ) , at whatever cost Big Pharma deems their "cure " to be the best dollar amount  to extract the maximum wealth ,  then we are in this for the long haul until some kind of herd immunity is established  . In fact there might never be a form of herd immunity based on Sweden's failed experiment and the reality that this particular strain of Covid can reinvent itself . The very existence Big League sports teams as we have known them may have been forever  changed in light of this . 

• H_T_L locked this topic