The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

Frank Seravelli of TSN compiled his list of potentially-available players and suggested his information is that Jets willing to consider moving either Laine or Ehlers. This news, of course, has Habs twitter rampant suggesting the Habs trade Domi and other parts to Winnipeg as part of a deal. While Domi Sr. played in Winnipeg and there might be a fit, you'd have to think Winnipeg is more interested in adding a top 4 D man if they're going to part with one of those players. Not sure I see a fit from their end because who are we going to trade them? Nevertheless, the rumor is that those two remain available and obviously either guy would be a good fit here. Maybe we'd need a third team to be involved in that type of deal to make it work... someone who wants a Domi and is okay to give up a D man, someone like Minnesota. Could something like this be of interest?

To Montreal: Patrik Laine

To Minnesota: Max Domi, Habs 3rd Rd pick 2020

To Winnipeg: Matt Dumba, Victor Mete, Habs 1st Rd pick 2020

So Habs would give up Domi, Mete, 1st, and 3rd to get a 1st-line goal-scoring winger in Laine. Wild would give up Dumba to get Domi and our 3rd rounder, which is a piece they want to trade for a piece they want to acquire. And Jets would give up the disgruntled Laine to acquire two D men (one top 3 RHD and one LHD) to fill holes and our 1st. Something similar to that could be of interest to addressing needs for all three teams.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Frank Seravelli of TSN compiled his list of potentially-available players and suggested his information is that Jets willing to consider moving either Laine or Ehlers. This news, of course, has Habs twitter rampant suggesting the Habs trade Domi and other parts to Winnipeg as part of a deal. While Domi Sr. played in Winnipeg and there might be a fit, you'd have to think Winnipeg is more interested in adding a top 4 D man if they're going to part with one of those players. Not sure I see a fit from their end because who are we going to trade them? Nevertheless, the rumor is that those two remain available and obviously either guy would be a good fit here. Maybe we'd need a third team to be involved in that type of deal to make it work... someone who wants a Domi and is okay to give up a D man, someone like Minnesota. Could something like this be of interest?

So Habs would give up Domi, Mete, 1st, and 3rd to get a 1st-line goal-scoring winger in Laine. Wild would give up Dumba to get Domi and our 3rd rounder, which is a piece they want to trade for a piece they want to acquire. And Jets would give up the disgruntled Laine to acquire two D men (one top 3 RHD and one LHD) to fill holes and our 1st. Something similar to that could be of interest to addressing needs for all three teams.

I don't think thats enough for Laine

In a straight trade, I would do something like Domi, Petry, Mete, 1st, and one of our younger RDs... but i wonder if that's enough. Its definitely filling wholes in their lineup though. 

I'd still be surprised if they moved Laine, its a dumb move

23 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Id do it but like habsisme, I am not sure thats enough for Laine.  I think we do well in the scenario, Minny does well but I assume that if Winterpeg was to move Laine they'd want a forward back as well. May not have to be a top line guy (they are getting a top pairing Dman) but i would think at least middle 6 too.   if we added Tatar they likely would bite but is Domi + Tatar + Mete + 1st  + 3rd too much? (maybe Mete is replaced by Tatar, dunno)  I dont think so because guys like Laine do not become available often. As much as Id hate to lose Domi, Mete AND Tatar, they are all relatively replaceable.  The idea of JK, Suzuki, Laine and others all under 22... thats a pretty amazing thought. 

I think its moot though because I dont think MB would ever take a risk like that.  He's the quintessential 1 for 1 trade guy.  

35 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id do it but like habsisme, I am not sure thats enough for Laine.  I think we do well in the scenario, Minny does well but I assume that if Winterpeg was to move Laine they'd want a forward back as well. May not have to be a top line guy (they are getting a top pairing Dman) but i would think at least middle 6 too.   if we added Tatar they likely would bite but is Domi + Tatar + Mete + 1st  + 3rd too much? (maybe Mete is replaced by Tatar, dunno)  I dont think so because guys like Laine do not become available often. As much as Id hate to lose Domi, Mete AND Tatar, they are all relatively replaceable.  The idea of JK, Suzuki, Laine and others all under 22... thats a pretty amazing thought. 

I think its moot though because I dont think MB would ever take a risk like that.  He's the quintessential 1 for 1 trade guy.  

If this trade or any other one was to be made the only consideration would be that a somewhat inconsistent Laine agrees to at least a 5 year contract for at least 9 mill per ahead of time . Winnipeg will want fair value coming back ...Tatar only has 1 year left and will be looking for more money so he's probably out , Mete at best would be a throw in because he hasn't really proven anything yet and isn't a big body , our 1st rounder is only a 16th overall ( the Arizona factor ) so that pick would be 2 or 3 years down the road for development , a 3rd is not relevant to immediate needs either . To get Laine ( who is due $6,750,000 next year ) Montreal would have to give up 2 roster players including  a D like Kulak and maybe 1 or 2  prospects that are defensemen . They would want something like  Domi (or Drouin ) ,Kulak or Romanov and/or  Fleury plus picks . Laine is a rare commodity  ..in other words players that aren't  going to cost Winnipeg  for 2 or 3 years because of their cap issues . Laine would fit into the Finnish aspect Montreal has going on but I doubt Bergevin would deal such a  chunk of the future . It is at the very least extremely intriguing . If Montreal were to open the bank and go all-in for a guy like UFA Hall that would be my 1st choice rather than create other holes in the line-up that could be moved in other trades to make the cap fit ..

5 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

If Montreal were to open the bank and go all-in for a guy like UFA Hall that would be my 1st choice rather than create other holes in the line-up that could be moved in other trades to make the cap fit ..

I think there's a legit chance this happens. I also dont think MB will gut his team to get one key player (although it certainly might be the best option).   The problem is that we should have made more trades a couple of years ago.  Sure we would have been worse but if Pacioretty landed us Suzuki +   What could we have gotten for Weber or Petry?  Instead of having our best players all under 22 or all over 32, we could have more of them in the former and less in the latter categories.  

Because MB didnt act then, he may need to do so now. I could see us going after one of the big fish:  Krug or Hall if they make it to UFA. But i also think that there are some intriguing players that might be had easier & provide Tatar-level complimentary play.  If JK and Suzuki continue to improve, they just need quality wingers, not elite guys, to be effective.  Dadanov, Tofoli, Granlund, Kovalchuk are all possibilities. Brodie is a guy that MB may explore on defense (although the big knock on him is that even though he's a LHD he is more effective playing RHD)     I feel like MB may well just target some (likely) over the hill guys like Eric Haula or Wayne Simmonds though. 

^^ Quite possible we'd have to give up more for Laine but a few factors to remember:

1. Winnipeg and Laine have already had a few public disputes.

2. Laine has been given the reputation of a guy who won't always put in the work and who prefers playing video games than working out.

3. Laine is going to be due a significant raise soon.

4. Laine will need to be protected for the ED, whereas draft picks or recent picks will not. In Winnipeg's case, they also have more room to add a stud D man like Dumba and protect him because they really have few players on D to protect instead of keeping and protecting Laine.

So I'm not entirely convinced Winnipeg wouldn't jump on the chance to address their need for D men (particularly a RHD like Dumba to replace Buff) and grab a 1st at the same time. Could they get two 1st's and a blue-chip prospect for Laine? Probably. But I think they still believe in their core and if they're getting only unproven players and picks, then they'd probably be moving on from Wheeler (whose contract they would have trouble moving) and Little and maybe even Scheifele and Hellebucyk, who are both going to be 28 next season. Are they really waiting for 18 year-old's to join that group or are they more interested in getting young NHLer's like Dumba and Mete to fill out their roster when they really only have Morrissey and Pionk as D men of note signed into next year? I think the Jets see Laine the way the Bruins saw Seguin or Habs saw Galchenyuk or so on and I think they might sell lower than market value on him.

The other interesting rumor is Friedman reporting that since the Danault interview, Habs have gotten a lot of calls asking about his availability. He'd be a highly-coveted asset. Obviously, MB is going to want to re-sign him, but if he can't get him to sign at under 6M a year, maybe he becomes one of your best trade chips too...

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

asking about his availability. He'd be a highly-coveted asset. Obviously, MB is going to want to re-sign him, but if he can't get him to sign at under 6M a year, maybe he becomes one of your best trade chips too...

I'm hoping he takes Drouin type money so his raise can be limited to about $2.5 mill and still have trade value if that needs to be the case ...he doesn't strike me as a player that would be that comfortable outside Montreal and Quebec so that might be a factor ...His value to this team is immense .

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ Quite possible we'd have to give up more for Laine but a few factors to remember:

2. Laine has been given the reputation of a guy who won't always put in the work and who prefers playing video games than working out.

4. Laine will need to be protected for the ED, whereas draft picks or recent picks will not. In Winnipeg's case, they also have more room to add a stud D man like Dumba and protect him because they really have few players on D to protect instead of keeping and protecting Laine.

So I'm not entirely convinced Winnipeg wouldn't jump on the chance to address their need for D men (particularly a RHD like Dumba to replace Buff) and grab a 1st at the same time. Could they get two 1st's and a blue-chip prospect for Laine? Probably. But I think they still believe in their core and if they're getting only unproven players and picks, then they'd probably be moving on from Wheeler (whose contract they would have trouble moving) and Little and maybe even Scheifele and Hellebucyk, who are both going to be 28 next season. Are they really waiting for 18 year-old's to join that group or are they more interested in getting young NHLer's like Dumba and Mete to fill out their roster when they really only have Morrissey and Pionk as D men of note signed into next year? I think the Jets see Laine the way the Bruins saw Seguin or Habs saw Galchenyuk or so on and I think they might sell lower than market value on him.

The other interesting rumor is Friedman reporting that since the Danault interview, Habs have gotten a lot of calls asking about his availability. He'd be a highly-coveted asset. Obviously, MB is going to want to re-sign him, but if he can't get him to sign at under 6M a year, maybe he becomes one of your best trade chips too...

Spot on Ted - I am worried Laine could be an entitled floater and have to question his character vs. giving away the farm. If we do this deal, I sure hope they do a full character interview assessment. I am not a big fan of long term contracts with NTC's - they really handcuff a team's future ability and Bergevin gave essentially two (Subban but inherited Weber), and Price's deal. Both of which one could argue that's the cost of doing business but a 3rd long term is in dangerous territory with his high value and protection in the Kraken Entry draft. I would be ok with 5 years but not 5+ even though he is young. I love the upside of Laine, a proven goal scorer, fix much more on the power play but it comes down to cost. Winnipeg's need is clearly D and we don't have much to offer there beyond Mete, or Kulak and doubt they want Chiarot back with various forwards tossed in - agree with other post about them flipping some of the forwards we would offer for Dumba etc.

In addition, I could see a whole host of teams entering into the Laine sweepstakes - when that happens, the successful bidder usually overpays. It would not surprise me to see Nylander and the leafs #1 flipped for Laine, and jets flip Nylander and a #1 for a top D-man. Then the leafs do something else for their coveted D-man etc. 

I don't like the idea of trading our #1 pick at 16  - it's a deep talented draft year and while there's a chance of draft busts vs. a proven Laine, our prospect pool is finally getting some traction. I want continued progression with the habs and not band-aid free agency to think this pushes us into contention. 

55 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Its definitely something I hope MB explores.  Considering how much the team loves their Finns id be shocked if he hasnt.   

Interestingly though, in Winterpeg they seem to think Ehlers is more likely to be moved.   He has less value than Laine but actually may fit better here (would not clash as much with Julien for sure). Cost would be considerably less.   Domi + Kulak  for Ehlers? 

55 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

As much as I like Danault & what he brings, he's in that age range (28 at the beginning of next year) where if you could move him for a key asset thats say 22 or less, that would be ideal.   The avalanche are on the brink of elimination right now - they have studs on defense already but is Compher enough as a shut down centre? would they consider a deal built around Byram for Danault? Maybe. 

3rd guide for "deals", This is my opinion on the likelihood of Habs trading with the Metropolitan Division teams

Carolina - likelihood low  (cap room $9.1M assumes Brent Pesce comes back in Dec from Shoulder injury). Need to resign LD Hayden Fleury (est. $2m), LW Warren Fogele (est. $2M) and replace some D-men going on free agency. Probably still pissed at Bergevin for trying to sign Aho. Have deadbeat Jake Garner for 3 more years at $4.0M. They are cap constrained, probably shopping James Reimer at $3.4M instead of Mrazek but there are a few goalies on free agency which makes it difficult.  Have #13 pick and #41 #53 plus LHD prospect of interest Jake Bean who is virtually NHL ready and will make Jake Gardner redundant, plus drafted F Ryan Suzuki. Overpaid on their offense for Ryan Dzingl. Cannot see Habs filling much of their needs unless they want more scoring with a Tatar, as they are set at centre.

Columbus - Likelihood low - Cap room $5.2M but probably $11.1M with LTIR Dubinsky not recovering from chronic wrist injury and is done. Resigning Pierre-Luc Dubois will consume est. $4M-$5.5M. Does not leave much more for other minor RFA’s or a free agent addition. Could use more scoring like Tatar. They are set at centre with emerging prospect Liam Foudy. Their defense is solid with no other prospects other than 21st overall pick. IMO underachieving team considering the talent.

New Jersey - Likelihood very low - $26.2M of cap room and in rebuild mode with 3 first round picks this year. Nothing on their roster is intriguing and under performing Subban

Philly - Likelihood Moderate - $9M of cap room assuming injured Lindblom returns. Unlucky with #2 pick from 2017 Nolin Patrick Migraine disorder – will he return? Likely will buy a free agent goalie to supplement Carter Hart. Have draft pick in range #24-28 depending on playoffs and #56. Probably need cap room to obtain a free agent d-man. Have significantly mortgaged their future with long term  NTC’s with many forwards. Ghostisbere has under performed at $4.5M for 3 more years and could be moved. Prospects of interest Morgan Frost at C, and LHD Cam York who everyone wanted us to draft last year prior to Caufield falling.

NY Islanders- Likelihood – low - $8.1M cap room but Ryan Pulock RFA est. ($2-$3M), RFA Barzal (est. $5-7M), puts them in cap hell but Lamourello is shrewd. A lot of locked up forwards – 5 with NTC’s. Other than that, this team has been built correctly wit a solid coach. May wish to buy some cap room by dumping Clutterbuck. In midst of deep playoff run. Do not have a first or second round pick in this year’s draft. Have little to offer other than prospects RHD Noah Dobson, LHD Devon Toews, LHD Samuel Bolduc, or RW Oliver Wahlstrom.

NY Rangers - Likelihood low to moderate–$13.5M of cap room but will protect RFA’s RHD Anthony Deangelo (est. $4m), C, RW Ryan Strome ($3m), G Georgiev ($2-3M)> Have #1 pick not being moved (LAF), and #24 in first round. Would love to Move G Lundqvist ($8.5M) or even Mark Staal NMC $5.7M for cap room. Prospects of interest LHD D’Andre Miller, RHD Nils Lindkvist, LHD Matthew Robertson.  

Washington - Likelihood very low - $10.4M of cap room but need to replace Holtby or resign an expensive quality goalie – window with Ovechkin is closing. Could use some D to replace Radko Gudas like Hamonic or TJ Brodie. Offense is set with upcoming prospects Connor McMichael and Brett Leason. Don’t think habs could offer much value to the Capitals unless I missed something.

Pittsburgh – Likelihood low - $9.2M of cap room but need to replace free agent goalies Murray and Jarry.  No first or 2nd round picks. Prospect pool LHD Samuel Poulin, RHD Calen Addison. Future is now mentality for GM Rutherford. They could upgrade their D (Free agent under performing Justin Schultz), but I don’t see the habs having much to offer this team unless use cap room to acquire LHD on decline Jack Johnson and buy him out for prospects.

Thoughts and critiques welcomed

Stu Cowan writes in the Gazette that Domi has fired his agent Patrick Brisson who is a close friend of Bergevin. Thinking is that Domi felt he made a risk decision to play thru Covid with his type 1 Diabetes and was rewarded with 4th line duties 

he probably has played his last game 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-on-sports-max-domis-days-with-canadiens-appear-to-be-over/wcm/a703987d-5ce6-43fc-b906-74c1dbf6aa90/amp/

Watched a YouTube video yesterday talking about Arizona and how they might be looking at unloading some big contracts. Partly as an attempt to reacquire some of the picks they had taken away, partly because they probably just can’t afford to keep them on the books with everything going on with COVID. Oliver Ekman Larson’s name came up. Any thoughts on that? OEL would be an interesting option.

15 hours ago, claremont said:

Stu Cowan writes in the Gazette that Domi has fired his agent Patrick Brisson who is a close friend of Bergevin. Thinking is that Domi felt he made a risk decision to play thru Covid with his type 1 Diabetes and was rewarded with 4th line duties 

he probably has played his last game 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-on-sports-max-domis-days-with-canadiens-appear-to-be-over/wcm/a703987d-5ce6-43fc-b906-74c1dbf6aa90/amp/

I can certainly see his point.  I know it was a tough decision for him and while he needed some time to get up to speed he wasnt really given an opportunity to do much until 6 games in & even then bounced around.  

I dont want to see him gone but I also dont see a huge spot for him on  the roster. If the return is right, I would move him.   I cant imagine contract negotiations will be pretty. 

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Watched a YouTube video yesterday talking about Arizona and how they might be looking at unloading some big contracts. Partly as an attempt to reacquire some of the picks they had taken away, partly because they probably just can’t afford to keep them on the books with everything going on with COVID. Oliver Ekman Larson’s name came up. Any thoughts on that? OEL would be an interesting option.

OEL is someone Ive always wanted.  OEL-Weber would, on paper anyway, be a dominant tandem (as would OEL-Petry, but i think we have other options for Petry). The thing is, if we did go out and get him, we'd need to be going all in & truly believe we can win now.    

I wouldnt just want to trade for OEL and sign Kovalchuk and be done.  Id want to add another key piece - Hall, a combination of Kovalchuk, Dadonov and maybe one more middle tier guy, etc.  

We will not win (or really contend) just adding OEL but i think the team has shown there's enough key pieces that if you could add a stud like OEL AND shore up our scoring from the wings... we might just have enough to do it.    I understand that some may say we're not ready but until MB decides he's trading Price, Weber, Petry etc, this is the best you can hope for honestly. 

Given the rumours ... I would really love us to try and snag Laine somehow ... Domi, Caufield, whoever .... except Suzuki/Kotkaniemi

Imagine :

Drouin - Suzuki - Gallagher

Tatar -  Kotkaniemi - Laine

Lehk - Danault - Armia

That top 9, with our D/goalie situation puts in the playoffs at least

17 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Given the rumours ... I would really love us to try and snag Laine somehow ... Domi, Caufield, whoever .... except Suzuki/Kotkaniemi

Imagine :

Drouin - Suzuki - Gallagher

Tatar -  Kotkaniemi - Laine

Lehk - Danault - Armia

That top 9, with our D/goalie situation puts in the playoffs at least

From those in the know, it sounds like what they really want is a RHD. Assuming Winnipeg thinks they can contend now (and are not thinking "rebuild") I think you could probably get a deal worked out around Petry + Domi   They replace some of Laine's scoring up front & their defense looks worlds better.    Can we afford to lose Petry?

Some suggestions have been Fleury and/or Juulsen but lets be honest, no one is taking those two as primaries in a deal for Laine.  Even if its offset with Domi, its not enough. They want someone established.   Their defense is in even worse shape than ours aside from Morrissey. 

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

From those in the know, it sounds like what they really want is a RHD. Assuming Winnipeg thinks they can contend now (and are not thinking "rebuild") I think you could probably get a deal worked out around Petry + Domi   They replace some of Laine's scoring up front & their defense looks worlds better.    Can we afford to lose Petry?

Some suggestions have been Fleury and/or Juulsen but lets be honest, no one is taking those two as primaries in a deal for Laine.  Even if its offset with Domi, its not enough. They want someone established.   Their defense is in even worse shape than ours aside from Morrissey. 

i would definitely make a trade around Petry and Domi, but I think you'd need to Caufield to make it work... for Laine, I would do it

3 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

OEL 3 years ago would have been a great add. OEL now means you're paying 8.25M on the cap for another 7 years through the age of 36. Pass for me. If I'm giving up assets in a trade, I want a guy who can be a top player here for at least 5 years. I don't want another Shea Weber where we paid for his glory years but are getting him on the downside of his career. Still good? Yes. Worth his contract over its duration? Doubtful.

44 minutes ago, maas_art said:

22 minutes ago, habsisme said:

i would definitely make a trade around Petry and Domi, but I think you'd need to Caufield to make it work... for Laine, I would do it

I think if you're willing to give up Petry and that's the key piece Winnipeg wants, you try to do this in two different trades. I'd offer Domi and a pick to Minnesota for Dumba and then send Petry to Winnipeg with maybe Caufield and another piece to try to grab Laine.

That said, it really sounds like Petry wants to stay and MB wants to keep him, so not sure the Habs will part with Petry. Petry is IMO a top 30-40 D man in the league right now, albeit the question of how long he will maintain that level of play is questionable. I really don't know what Winnipeg's plan is so far as going for it now, re-building, or staying as tweeners the way we've done. Dealing Laine and getting Petry as the key cog in your return is probably taking away any possibility of a re-build. On the other hand, the Habs could probably still get a 1st rounder and good prospect for Petry, so they're not going to go trading him AND another top player to go and get Laine. Arguably, Petry has more value to a team for the next two years than Laine does (I say that as someone who thinks D men are more important than wingers for the most part).

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think if you're willing to give up Petry and that's the key piece Winnipeg wants, you try to do this in two different trades. I'd offer Domi and a pick to Minnesota for Dumba and then send Petry to Winnipeg with maybe Caufield and another piece to try to grab Laine.

That said, it really sounds like Petry wants to stay and MB wants to keep him, so not sure the Habs will part with Petry. Petry is IMO a top 30-40 D man in the league right now, albeit the question of how long he will maintain that level of play is questionable. I really don't know what Winnipeg's plan is so far as going for it now, re-building, or staying as tweeners the way we've done. Dealing Laine and getting Petry as the key cog in your return is probably taking away any possibility of a re-build. On the other hand, the Habs could probably still get a 1st rounder and good prospect for Petry, so they're not going to go trading him AND another top player to go and get Laine. Arguably, Petry has more value to a team for the next two years than Laine does (I say that as someone who thinks D men are more important than wingers for the most part).

I agree and I think Laine is over rated. I'm not sure how he would work with Jullien. He's been in the dog house in Winnipeg already. We may have a future scorer in Caulfield. I also don't see Laine bring the total production of Domi and Petry. I think those two together is an over payment. Behind Weber Petry we actually don't have anything for sure moving forward. So Weber ends up playing an extra 5 min a game? We may get the production already "if" Drouin playing with Suzuki lives up to his potential. Also a big "if" JK lives up to his potential. He looked better in the playoffs but I'm not totally sold yet. So maybe Domi can play wing or even end up at center with JK on the wing. With the right line mates I think Domi can have another strong season. If he agreed to wing he hopefully would be with Drouin Suzuki and get PP time. I'm not sold on Laine as the "missing" piece. If he's not scoring he seems to sulk. A lot of scores go into slumps but you better be willing to play 200' and backcheck if you're not scoring and expect ice time with Jullien. (Or most coaches actually) 

My suggestion ....

Laine + 2nd

Weber + 1st

That leaves Domi/Tatar to be used in another trade (LHD).    Winnipeg gets an "elite" Dman in Weber ... they're in win now mode, we're in "retool" mode.  If they'd rather a C as well (since they need a 2C) then it's Weber + Domi + higher 2nd than Pegs

That leaves us Petry, Fleury, Juulsen, Brook down the right side and we draft a RHD with one of our many 2nd round picks.    I also think given the number of Finns we have that Laine may fit right in and be invigorated ... he'll also love the MTL crowd when he lights the lamp

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I'm ok with losing Caufield in a trade for Laine ...

Laine + 2nd

Weber + Caufield for example

Caufield as much as people tout him is unproven at the professional level.   Laine on the hand has has 138 goals through four seasons in the NHL, tied for seventh most across the NHL since he entered the league as an 18-year-old.    He's about to enter his 5th season which could be his breakout year (50+ goals) and added play making to his game (he was on pace for about 35g45a this year)

4 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Crowd sounded pretty lame during this playoff run. :ph34r:

Not sure the home crowd is a selling point. Could be awhile before we see fans in the building.

True enough, but was trying to be optimistic about the future and the prospect of Laine signing long term (with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi)

21 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

My suggestion ....

Laine + 2nd

Weber + 1st

That leaves Domi/Tatar to be used in another trade (LHD).    Winnipeg gets an "elite" Dman in Weber ... they're in win now mode, we're in "retool" mode.  If they'd rather a C as well (since they need a 2C) then it's Weber + Domi + higher 2nd than Pegs

That leaves us Petry, Fleury, Juulsen, Brook down the right side and we draft a RHD with one of our many 2nd round picks.    I also think given the number of Finns we have that Laine may fit right in and be invigorated ... he'll also love the MTL crowd when he lights the lamp

15 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I'm ok with losing Caufield in a trade for Laine ...

Laine + 2nd

Weber + Caufield for example

Caufield as much as people tout him is unproven at the professional level.   Laine on the hand has has 138 goals through four seasons in the NHL, tied for seventh most across the NHL since he entered the league as an 18-year-old.    He's about to enter his 5th season which could be his breakout year (50+ goals) and added play making to his game (he was on pace for about 35g45a this year)

While i wholeheartedly agree that Weber is the guy to move (his value will never be higher than it is right now) I put the chance at MB trading Shea Weber at around .01%  

I think its extremely unlikely he will trade Petry either but I think there's at least a chance (if we got back a young player like Laine) that he considers it.  Weber? not likely. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

While i wholeheartedly agree that Weber is the guy to move (his value will never be higher than it is right now) I put the chance at MB trading Shea Weber at around .01%  

I think its extremely unlikely he will trade Petry either but I think there's at least a chance (if we got back a young player like Laine) that he considers it.  Weber? not likely. 

Yeah I doubt MB has the back bone to pull that off either ... but the trades involving Weber would likely be close to agreeable for Winnipeg.

• H_T_L locked this topic