The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree and I think Laine is over rated. I'm not sure how he would work with Jullien. He's been in the dog house in Winnipeg already. We may have a future scorer in Caulfield. I also don't see Laine bring the total production of Domi and Petry. I think those two together is an over payment. Behind Weber Petry we actually don't have anything for sure moving forward. So Weber ends up playing an extra 5 min a game? We may get the production already "if" Drouin playing with Suzuki lives up to his potential. Also a big "if" JK lives up to his potential. He looked better in the playoffs but I'm not totally sold yet. So maybe Domi can play wing or even end up at center with JK on the wing. With the right line mates I think Domi can have another strong season. If he agreed to wing he hopefully would be with Drouin Suzuki and get PP time. I'm not sold on Laine as the "missing" piece. If he's not scoring he seems to sulk. A lot of scores go into slumps but you better be willing to play 200' and backcheck if you're not scoring and expect ice time with Jullien. (Or most coaches actually) 

Exactly my perspective - Petry is a playoff warrior and supposedly loves Montreal - contrast the messages - this is how you reward warriors vs mgmt really wants to win so we are bringing in a saviour who has a reputation of lack of heart/moody. Petry is respected, Laine will have to earn it. 
Drouin was our last appointed saviour with fanfare - hasn’t worked out so well 

while these guys are pros, human psychology is still at work. I would be inclined to trade Domi Who doesn’t want to be here and Weber who will be on the decline in a couple of years one would think and who could provide leadership which seems to be lacking in Winnipeg. Toss in a 2nd rounder at most but no to a first For this year (maybe next) and no to Caufield who is likely Tatar’s future replacement insurance 

I repeat when one is desperate like thinking prices window is closing, and gets in a bidding war, you usually overpay. Laines future contract is likely to constrain us if Weber is kept 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

I wouldnt just want to trade for OEL and sign Kovalchuk and be done.  Id want to add another key piece - Hall, a combination of Kovalchuk, Dadonov and maybe one more middle tier guy, etc.  

We will not win (or really contend) just adding OEL but i think the team has shown there's enough key pieces that if you could add a stud like OEL AND shore up our scoring from the wings... we might just have enough to do it.    I understand that some may say we're not ready but until MB decides he's trading Price, Weber, Petry etc, this is the best you can hope for honestly. 

I agree that OEL alone wouldn’t put us over the top, but I don’t think we’d need to go to crazy. Certainly don’t think OEL plus Kovalchuk (kind of hoping we leave that one alone). But a quality top six who can shoot would be good enough, doesn’t need to be Hall or Liane.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

OEL 3 years ago would have been a great add. OEL now means you're paying 8.25M on the cap for another 7 years through the age of 36. Pass for me. If I'm giving up assets in a trade, I want a guy who can be a top player here for at least 5 years. I don't want another Shea Weber where we paid for his glory years but are getting him on the downside of his career. Still good? Yes. Worth his contract over its duration? Doubtful.

I kind of hear what your saying, but.. Myself, and I feel like a lot of others on here would love to see us make a move on Krug. As much as I’d prefer Krug, it’s really not much of a difference in age, cap hit and term. Adding a top LD in the middle of his prime would fill the hole we have right now, and allow us to take our time with Romanov, Norlinder, Strubble etc, while also allowing us to push forward trying to win with the team we have in the present. It’s either that, or blow it all up and hope 5 years from now things are better.

I think we have a really good team, good mix of youth and experience, and a nice prospect pool. I think blowing it up would be unnecessary. Add a top LD, quality scoring threat and tweak the fourth line, add a decent backup and we’ve got something. And as long as we can do it without destroying our futures, I say why not?

Assuming OEL costs us something like a 1st, 2nd and Mete. Then we still have Domi and Poehling that could be flipped for some scoring. Sign a goalie and we’re set. Most of our futures still in tact, with a highly competitive team on the ice in the mean time.

32 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I kind of hear what your saying, but.. Myself, and I feel like a lot of others on here would love to see us make a move on Krug. 

I think we have a really good team, good mix of youth and experience, and a nice prospect pool. I think blowing it up would be unnecessary. Add a top LD, quality scoring threat and tweak the fourth line, add a decent backup and we’ve got something. And as long as we can do it without destroying our futures, I say why not?

Your comment of a higher quality LD, another scorer and a good backup without caving is a good observation. The LHD I would prefer would be from Edmonton (Nurse or Klefbom), and throw in Pulijarvi 
Bergevin has a lot of pieces to play with - cap room, a plethora of picks, a reasonable prospect pool, some roster trade pieces of Domi, Mete, Poehling and possibly Tatar or even Danault. He can afford to be picky and let the offers come to him especially with his use of cap space which everyone assumes to mean it should be used on free agency. Unfortunately with The blues Tarasenko injury, they will have some LTIR relief to sign Vince Dunn who I thought could be offer sheeted. 
There’s so many teams with cap room difficulty and a sense of urgency to change. 

12 hours ago, claremont said:

Your comment of a higher quality LD, another scorer and a good backup without caving is a good observation. The LHD I would prefer would be from Edmonton (Nurse or Klefbom), and throw in Pulijarvi 
Bergevin has a lot of pieces to play with - cap room, a plethora of picks, a reasonable prospect pool, some roster trade pieces of Domi, Mete, Poehling and possibly Tatar or even Danault. He can afford to be picky and let the offers come to him especially with his use of cap space which everyone assumes to mean it should be used on free agency. Unfortunately with The blues Tarasenko injury, they will have some LTIR relief to sign Vince Dunn who I thought could be offer sheeted. 
There’s so many teams with cap room difficulty and a sense of urgency to change. 

I agree with pretty much all of this (not too keen on Pulijarvi). 

3 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Puljujärvi is exactly the kind of player I would take a chance on.  Has not established himself yet, and if the cost isn't too great, definitely worth the risk. May feel more comfortable in Montreal, and would definitely try to prove people wrong. Some type of package going both ways?

4 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

29 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Puljujärvi is exactly the kind of player I would take a chance on.  Has not established himself yet, and if the cost isn't too great, definitely worth the risk. May feel more comfortable in Montreal, and would definitely try to prove people wrong. Some type of package going both ways?

Yeah, id be all for adding JP if the cost wasnt high or we could get him as a throw in. I wouldnt trade an asset 1 for 1 for him but at 22 I think there's still a decent chance he can be a quality middle six guy. I dont love reclamation projects but when you have a team that has made as many mistakes as edmonton... you have to wonder if there's a chance to turn that guy's career around.. 

Pierre McGuire says there is a 0% chance Domi is back next year.

The Hockey News lists give teams that could target Domi:

- Sabres

- Wild (lists Jordan Greenway as potential return piece in a package; Greenway's already 23 though and hasn't really put up impressive numbers in his first two years of being in the NHL, despite good size. There would need to be a lot more coming back IMO)

- Jackets (lists Josh Anderson as part of a return; this would be a nice fit for Montreal)

- Jets (lists Roslovic or Laine as potential starts to building a trade)

- Sharks

.. he lists Devils, Bruins, and Panthers as other alternatives.

10 hours ago, habsisme said:

I hope Domi is traded. I've said in the past he is a C and he really loses value on the wing. I think he can return to 60-70 points but not unless he's a C. The question is to other teams believe that because that will dictate his value. IMO its a trade that needs to happen

Not convinced JK is better yet and is JK going to be injury prone? I hope not .....but?

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Pierre McGuire says there is a 0% chance Domi is back next year.

The Hockey News lists give teams that could target Domi:

- Sabres

- Wild (lists Jordan Greenway as potential return piece in a package; Greenway's already 23 though and hasn't really put up impressive numbers in his first two years of being in the NHL, despite good size. There would need to be a lot more coming back IMO)

- Jackets (lists Josh Anderson as part of a return; this would be a nice fit for Montreal)

- Jets (lists Roslovic or Laine as potential starts to building a trade)

- Sharks

.. he lists Devils, Bruins, and Panthers as other alternatives.

I'm hoping a deal with the Jets. Jets need defense prospects/players and picks. 

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

I'm hoping a deal with the Jets. Jets need defense prospects/players and picks. 

Exactly my thinking ....failing the Hall / Laine sweepstakes I'm thinking Montreal should target Ehlers ....5 more years at $6,000,000 and the Jets only have 10 players signed and $15.5 mill in cap space ...If we sent them Domi , Mete and a Juulsen  they might bite if we get a 3rd or 2nd coming back as well ...Ehlers consistently scores 20+ goals , is better defensively than Laine and will be way cheaper in the long run...Montreal gets to replace Mete with Romanov or Juulsen or both and the Jets get a cheap RFA D and a player for around $4 mill with an upside who was born in Winnipeg ....Domi will sign for $4 mill for 3 years ....Montreal would still have over $8 mill left for somebody else to fill a need ....recap ..Domi , Mete and Juulsen for Ehlers and a 2nd or 3rd ...works for both teams 

6 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Exactly my thinking ....failing the Hall / Laine sweepstakes I'm thinking Montreal should target Ehlers ....5 more years at $6,000,000 and the Jets only have 10 players signed and $15.5 mill in cap space ...If we sent them Domi , Mete and a Juulsen  they might bite if we get a 3rd or 2nd coming back as well ...Ehlers consistently scores 20+ goals , is better defensively than Laine and will be way cheaper in the long run...Montreal gets to replace Mete with Romanov or Juulsen or both and the Jets get a cheap RFA D and a player for around $4 mill with an upside who was born in Winnipeg ....Domi will sign for $4 mill for 3 years ....Montreal would still have over $8 mill left for somebody else to fill a need ....recap ..Domi , Mete and Juulsen for Ehlers and a 2nd or 3rd ...works for both teams 

There's definitely some interesting players on the Jets. Laine, Ehlers, Connor  - I feel like Winnepeg will part with one but will most likely want help on defense so we might have to add a decent defensman with Domi to make something happen. I wonder if they would want Chiarot back?

Re the cap, remember that we should likely have around 2m extra to play with:   Lindgren's $700k will go to the minors and Alzner's monster contract (if we dont buy him out) will go down by $1m or so, when he's sent down too. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

There's definitely some interesting players on the Jets. Laine, Ehlers, Connor  - I feel like Winnepeg will part with one but will most likely want help on defense so we might have to add a decent defensman with Domi to make something happen. I wonder if they would want Chiarot back?

Re the cap, remember that we should likely have around 2m extra to play with:   Lindgren's $700k will go to the minors and Alzner's monster contract (if we dont buy him out) will go down by $1m or so, when he's sent down too. 

somehow I doubt Winnipeg wants to part with Connor (maybe even less than Laine ) ....but that extra 2 mill even without an Alzner buy-out would make it interesting ..I still think when it's all said and done the league will allow another buy-out given the circumstances this year ...however that would somewhat minimize our bargaining power by making cap-strapped teams less willing to deal 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

.I still think when it's all said and done the league will allow another buy-out given the circumstances this year ...

This summer (I guess fall now!) was always the projected best time to buy Alzner out & there's a lot of speculation the team will do just that. Obviously if the league does allow a one-time, no penalty buyout, even better but if we bought out Alzner now, we would have a cap hit of $4m this year (slightly under his current cap hit of $4.6m) but then it would go down to $2m next year and 800k the following two.   Of course we can keep paying that $4.6m for the next 2 years (sending him to the minors means roughly $1m of that comes off the cap).  Will be interesting to see what they decide.  if there's a free buyout he's the guy - there's really no other horrendous contracts on the team (yes Price and Weber's are high, but they are both still playing to a high standard too)

There's a story in the Winnipeg Free Press about Laine and the asking price for him from the Habs. To wit:

"But what should the return look like? Can you get both Nick Suzuki and Victor Mete out of Montreal for him? Nico Hischier out of New Jersey? Mike Zibanejad out of New York? It’s tough to pin down a specific player or players, never mind finding the team that wants to trade such a big name."

34 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

There's a story in the Winnipeg Free Press about Laine and the asking price for him from the Habs. To wit:

"But what should the return look like? Can you get both Nick Suzuki and Victor Mete out of Montreal for him? Nico Hischier out of New Jersey? Mike Zibanejad out of New York? It’s tough to pin down a specific player or players, never mind finding the team that wants to trade such a big name."

Cheveldayoff:  Hi Marc!  Wondering if you're interested in talking to us about Laine.

Bergevin:  All ears Kevin

Cheveldayoff: So we're interested in Mete...

Bergevin:  Ok.... and?

Cheveldayoff: Nick Suzu----

<<<<CLICK>>>>

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Cheveldayoff:  Hi Marc!  Wondering if you're interested in talking to us about Laine.

Bergevin:  All ears Kevin

Cheveldayoff: So we're interested in Mete...

Bergevin:  Ok.... and?

Cheveldayoff: Nick Suzu----

<<<<CLICK>>>>

:4224:

6 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Wouldn't do Suzuki for Laine straight-up, never mind the Winnipeg press talking about throw-ins. Suzuki is a center and he hasn't been labeled as having attitude problems like Laine and he can play defence...

Yeah for me at this time Suzuki is untouchable. i feel like KK should also be untouchable. we have our #1 and #2 centers finally! build around them up front. as far as #3 and 4 go we can figure that out if Dano does not want to play ball as time goes on we can move him same goes for Domi centers 3-4 are a lot less trouble to find. we need scoring wingers and an RHD in the short term and we will have to see about RHD in the near future as well. but for now we could cash in Domi and or perhaps Dano for a good winger and or a LHD with some throw in's. or we could sign Hall the trade either Domi and Dano or one or the other to get the LHD. if these things happen we will be a much more competetive team for sure!

5 hours ago, rkgoalie said:

imo , from  what i have seen from suzuki play especially  in this years playoffs  , he is almost an intouchable 

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah for me at this time Suzuki is untouchable. i feel like KK should also be untouchable. we have our #1 and #2 centers finally! build around them up front. as far as #3 and 4 go we can figure that out if Dano does not want to play ball as time goes on we can move him same goes for Domi centers 3-4 are a lot less trouble to find. we need scoring wingers and an RHD in the short term and we will have to see about RHD in the near future as well. but for now we could cash in Domi and or perhaps Dano for a good winger and or a LHD with some throw in's. or we could sign Hall the trade either Domi and Dano or one or the other to get the LHD. if these things happen we will be a much more competetive team for sure!

As a general rule, I see no player as untouchable.  If we were offered McDavid or Mackinnon or Eichel or Aho etc - i would trade anyone on our roster.  But assuming no rival GM has lost his mind,  Suzuki and JK are as close to 'untouchable' as any non-goalie has been on this team for probably 20 years.  

There are other guys (mostly prospects) whom I would deem as 'nearly' untouchable, simply because I dont think anyone is trading us the value that I perceive that player to be on the roster.  For example, Caufield probably has relatively low value (he isnt bringing back an impact player on his own) so he's someone Im not interested in trading but if the Jets wanted him as part of a deal for Laine (and the other pieces were, say, Domi + a dman) then I would certainly consider it. 

16 minutes ago, maas_art said:

As a general rule, I see no player as untouchable.  If we were offered McDavid or Mackinnon or Eichel or Aho etc - i would trade anyone on our roster.  But assuming no rival GM has lost his mind,  Suzuki and JK are as close to 'untouchable' as any non-goalie has been on this team for probably 20 years.  

There are other guys (mostly prospects) whom I would deem as 'nearly' untouchable, simply because I dont think anyone is trading us the value that I perceive that player to be on the roster.  For example, Caufield probably has relatively low value (he isnt bringing back an impact player on his own) so he's someone Im not interested in trading but if the Jets wanted him as part of a deal for Laine (and the other pieces were, say, Domi + a dman) then I would certainly consider it. 

Pretty much in agreement . Montreal hasn't had an untouchable since Price in his prime . I would add Draisaitl to McDavid , Mackinnon and Eichel as untouchables ...Kane would be on that list even 3 years ago along with Crosby but even if available they would be almost impossible to pry away at this point unless the kitchen sink came along in the deal .That's what makes Laine and the Winnipeg cap issue so intriguing as a possible trade for any team with some room . I think Carolina and Montreal would at least get a nod with their Finnish content if  Laine had a say at all .But that's also what makes Hall intriguing because he would come at no roster/prospect/draft pick cost other than salary . My gut feeling is that Laine and his tremendous talent stays in Winnipeg and somebody like Ehlers and his $6 mill per goes in a package that would include at least 1 forward and 2 D coming back that can play now . Carolina would seem to have the upper hand with their extra D and would odds on become an immediate Cup contender 

• H_T_L locked this topic