The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

36 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I do think there is a distinct difference though. Dumba has came out against a national issue. Where as Subban it was more of a Subban first team second all about me issue.  

18 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I dont see Dumba coming here but I definitely don't think its for any kind of character issue

Yeah, i agree.

Bergevin (and all old school hockey guys) expect a player to tow the line and be 'team first' but in Dumba's case its a very serious (and much bigger) issue & I dont think MB or anyone else would begrudge him being outspoken on the subject.

I dont think Dumba is coming here because I dont think MB has the foresight to make it happen.  You'd need to first acquire Dumba then move one of Petry or Weber - too many moving parts for MB. 

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I dont think Dumba is coming here because I dont think MB has the foresight to make it happen.  You'd need to first acquire Dumba then move one of Petry or Weber - too many moving parts for MB. 

There’s a few teams that can make some outstanding offers to the Wild - jets, Flames (who are certain to lose Hamonic) Leafs, Bruins , Edmonton. When there’s high competition, Bold moves usually mean an overpayment, and Bergevin usually doesn’t want to participate in that. I’m not convinced this is the right time to pull such a move on our D. I’d rather have a strong move to improve our offense. 

Dreger says talks between Stl and Pietrangelo have broken off and the team has told him to test free agency. You know the Leafs will be going had after him, but he's also a guy whose got Bergevin's name written all over him. Canadian guy, good pedigree even though he's hitting past prime now. Would he sign him and then be open to trading Weber or Petry?

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Dreger says talks between Stl and Pietrangelo have broken off and the team has told him to test free agency. You know the Leafs will be going had after him, but he's also a guy whose got Bergevin's name written all over him. Canadian guy, good pedigree even though he's hitting past prime now. Would he sign him and then be open to trading Weber or Petry?

I wonder how could the Leafs even consider him with their cap situation 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I have always said that the chance of MB trading Weber is probably 5-10%.  The chance of him trading Petry isnt much higher- BUT - would he trade Petry if he could replace him with a guy like Pietrangelo? I think so.  

Its a lot of balls in motion (sign one guy, trade another, make the move for an "impact forward" he was talking about recently) but its not outside the realm of possibility. 

Of course, the right move is probably sign Pietrangelo & trade Weber, but i think thats still incredibly unlikely. 

21 hours ago, maas_art said:

...Bergevin (and all old school hockey guys) expect a player to tow the line and be 'team first' but in Dumba's case its a very serious (and much bigger) issue & I dont think MB or anyone else would begrudge him being outspoken on the subject....

I consider the fact that it took the "old school hockey guys", so long to come around on this subject, it may have left some begrudging the whole situation and accepting a new reality.  Things like systemic racism don't end so quickly without a lot of begrudging remaining (not openly... but still nevertheless). We will have to wait and see.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I could see this happening... But he would probably go all-in and keep the three...thinking Stanley :4845:

Rumors are that Stl offering 7.7M to Pietrangelo and that he was asking for 9.25M, over what Josi got... given cap uncertainty, maybe he settles for something in the range of 8.75 to 9M a year. So would you do the following:

1. Sign Pietrangelo for 7 years, 9M AAV

2. Trade Petry and Domi to Winnipeg for Laine.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Rumors are that Stl offering 7.7M to Pietrangelo and that he was asking for 9.25M, over what Josi got... given cap uncertainty, maybe he settles for something in the range of 8.75 to 9M a year. So would you do the following:

I think i might do that. it is an interesting pair of moves kind of makes us contenders right away. there is a long term price to pay but all the teams seem to be finding that these days.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm sure he's worth it in the old Cap world pre covid. Not sure teams will be lining up to pay him that kind of money and term.

I'd prefer to keep Petry and send Weber in his place but that doesn't help the Jets Cap situation  so don't see that happening. Petry will be another costly increase for them on his next deal so not even sure they'll bite on that deal. Maybe Domi and one of our younger D ( or Chiarot if we're signing Pietrangelo) and a 1st gets it done.

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I could get behind that.  Pietrangelo is still in his prime & could take #1 minutes every night. Weber scales back to 20-21 min a night.  Laine makes our whole forward group better - Gallagher now becomes a 2nd liner, Armia 3rd etc.   

The only hole we'd still have is LD and maybe Romanov is as good as the team thinks & we end up ok there.  Pietrangelo is still good enough to carry a go to an extent unlike Weber who now needs a player to compliment him, at least a bit. 

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Option 2 only - 7 years for a defenseman to be 31 in January is far too much term to be giving and is absolutely the wrong type of contract that just handcuffs the team for the future. 
IMO we would be far better off to gamble on some younger prospects To fill that RHD spot vacated by Petry. 
I grasp and understand the pain that many of us fans have after years of zero improvement but expecting a quick trade fix or a series of, to push us into top 4 contending status for this coming season isn’t realistic. There’s just too many questions on an emerging new core to align with a fading core. Two Grade A players aren’t enough at this time so why swing for the fences now? 

17 hours ago, claremont said:

Option 2 only - 7 years for a defenseman to be 31 in January is far too much term to be giving and is absolutely the wrong type of contract that just handcuffs the team for the future. 
IMO we would be far better off to gamble on some younger prospects To fill that RHD spot vacated by Petry. 
I grasp and understand the pain that many of us fans have after years of zero improvement but expecting a quick trade fix or a series of, to push us into top 4 contending status for this coming season isn’t realistic. There’s just too many questions on an emerging new core to align with a fading core. Two Grade A players aren’t enough at this time so why swing for the fences now? 

I think the new norm might be 4 to 5 yr terms in the new NHL for a decent player .  A guy now would have to be A++ to get longer . The money for top of the line players can't possibly be on the increase because of stunted revenues so there's still a lot of dust to settle . I get that Pietrangelo wants the money and term and he's very good but at 31 yrs old $ 9 mill for even 5 years term just seems unrealistic in these times .We don't even know when the season will start , how long it will be or if there are going to be any crowds at all ( not likely ) . And now the pandemic is kicking back into gear again and the US is still the hotbed of the world ...this can't be good for guys looking to get paid unless maybe your name is Laine .

I would trade Domi + Petry for Laine for sure.  WPG needs a 2C (Domi), and a Top 2 RD (Petry), that said, I don't think WPG will trade Laine for just those 2 players.  I think they will require another real asset, like a 1st round pick or Caufield.

Laine is a bit of a weird dude, but he is a legit superstar.

9 hours ago, Windoe said:

I would trade Domi + Petry for Laine for sure.  WPG needs a 2C (Domi), and a Top 2 RD (Petry), that said, I don't think WPG will trade Laine for just those 2 players.  I think they will require another real asset, like a 1st round pick or Caufield.

Laine is a bit of a weird dude, but he is a legit superstar.

Laine doesn't hold as much value as you may think. He is scheduled to be an RFA after next season and will be looking for a salary in the 9+ Mil range long term and negotiations are going to be tough again with the possibility that he holds out once again. For those reasons I pass on Laine.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Laine doesn't hold as much value as you may think. He is scheduled to be an RFA after next season and will be looking for a salary in the 9+ Mil range long term and negotiations are going to be tough again with the possibility that he holds out once again. For those reasons I pass on Laine.

I agree and as much of a scorer he is. If he's not scoring he's not really an effective defensive player , so I'm not going to pay what he will want for a PP scorer. He actually has been trending downward and has already had issues with coaches and whom or how much he is playing. Is he really going to be a fit with Jullien? In Montreal with the lack of scoring he is going to have a tremendous amount of pressure to be that savior. If he starts to slump or has a slow start how does he handle it how do the fans and the press react? Especially if he's making 9+ a year? I don't think Winnipeg has near the pressure. 

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree and as much of a scorer he is. If he's not scoring he's not really an effective defensive player , so I'm not going to pay what he will want for a PP scorer. He actually has been trending downward and has already had issues with coaches and whom or how much he is playing. Is he really going to be a fit with Jullien? In Montreal with the lack of scoring he is going to have a tremendous amount of pressure to be that savior. If he starts to slump or has a slow start how does he handle it how do the fans and the press react? Especially if he's making 9+ a year? I don't think Winnipeg has near the pressure. 

I'm just trying to imagine what Weber and Laine shooting on a PP after being fed saucer passes by Suzuki would look like ...As well Laine is RFA arbitration eligible next year ....if he could be signed for 9 mill and term I'd jump at it .. can always work on the defensive side of it later  ...that being said I don't think Winnipeg will let him go 

10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Says who? 

Over the past 4 seasons only Ovechkin, Matthews, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Draisaitl and  McDavid have scored more goals than Laine. Those are NHL superstars - and Laine is younger than all of them. 

His value is very high. If anything, most people are likely undervaluing him.  There's a strong chance that Winnipeg may not even consider dealing with us unless one of JK, Suzuki or Romanov is included in the deal. 

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Says who? 

Over the past 4 seasons only Ovechkin, Matthews, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Draisaitl and  McDavid have scored more goals than Laine. Those are NHL superstars - and Laine is younger than all of them. 

His value is very high. If anything, most people are likely undervaluing him.  There's a strong chance that Winnipeg may not even consider dealing with us unless one of JK, Suzuki or Romanov is included in the deal. 

Personally Romanov would be packing his bags so fast his head would spin!!  Watching this kid play I am still not convinced he is the LHD we desperately need so badly, think his attitude is his biggest downfall .

54 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Personally Romanov would be packing his bags so fast his head would spin!!  Watching this kid play I am still not convinced he is the LHD we desperately need so badly, think his attitude is his biggest downfall .

Romanov has attitude problems? This is the first time I'm hearing about this, I always thought the organization was very high on the kid.

24 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Romanov has attitude problems? This is the first time I'm hearing about this, I always thought the organization was very high on the kid.

I couldn’t agree more that the kid has energy and a strong desire to show that he belongs- perhaps some naively interpret that as arrogance? Hab fans are so impatient to throw the darts and arrows before we have seen the young kid develop. Wasn’t everyone in the early days saying that KK who had never played on NHL rinks prior to preseason games saying he was a dud? 

Never said he has an attitude problem, he comes across arrogant for sure.  Heard rumbling of him not being a team player but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I couldn’t agree more that the kid has energy and a strong desire to show that he belongs- perhaps some naively interpret that as arrogance? Hab fans are so impatient to throw the darts and arrows before we have seen the young kid develop. Wasn’t everyone in the early days saying that KK who had never played on NHL rinks prior to preseason games saying he was a dud? 

KK isn't a dud but we could have certainly traded down and still got him as well as some assets to help our team.  And let's face it our development of young players prior to last year has left a lot to be desired

3 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

From any report I've read Romanov's attitude is really good ...don't know where you would get this opinion 

9 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

KK isn't a dud but we could have certainly traded down and still got him as well as some assets to help our team.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. 

Arizona was also heavily rumored to be wanting "best centre available" rather than best player available.  They drafted Barrett Hayton (who was barely ranked in the top 10 among NA skaters) so i think we can guess, with some certainty, they would have taken JK if he was available at 5th. I doubt that Ottawa would have given us anything to swap one spot.   Of course its moot because its unprovable but I think if JK was the guy we really wanted, it would have been extremely risky to not take him when we had the chance. 

• H_T_L locked this topic