Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Probably not.  But I would only consider the options that I listed.  "Some of Drouin, Domi, Byron, Danault, Juulsen, Fleury, Mete, 2020 #1, 2021 #1...and any other draft picks necessary.

I am not a huge Laine fan he scores goals sure but doesn't bring much else other than headaches either through his negotiating tactics or his nonchalant defense. It's just pass for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I am not a huge Laine fan he scores goals sure but doesn't bring much else other than headaches either through his negotiating tactics or his nonchalant defense. It's just pass for me.

Exactly this - acquiring Laine will make us better but IMO not put us into top 4 contending status so why mortgage the future of giving away current prospects or this years draft choices. Now if it’s trading 2021 draft picks AND some spare parts AND Laine signs an extension then I’m a little more supportive. So I’ll agree to disagree with the majority. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, claremont said:

Exactly this - acquiring Laine will make us better but IMO not put us into top 4 contending status so why mortgage the future of giving away current prospects or this years draft choices. Now if it’s trading 2021 draft picks AND some spare parts AND Laine signs an extension then I’m a little more supportive. So I’ll agree to disagree with the majority. 

  maybe a moot point since talks have not continued ...I think Winnipeg is checking the water temperature on Laine with several teams ....I highly suspect the asking price was too rich ( and at least included Suzuki and another roster player like Domi + whatever ) ...so far Bergevin has handled contracts so that nothing is over $ 5.5  mill for forwards ....it would be hard to swallow for some on the team if suddenly a guy is  making $9 + mill for 7 years  and then floated defensively ...not that it can't be taught but just saying

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, arpem-can said:

  maybe a moot point since talks have not continued ...I think Winnipeg is checking the water temperature on Laine with several teams ....I highly suspect the asking price was too rich ( and at least included Suzuki and another roster player like Domi + whatever ) ...so far Bergevin has handled contracts so that nothing is over $ 5.5  mill for forwards ....it would be hard to swallow for some on the team if suddenly a guy is  making $9 + mill for 7 years  and then floated defensively ...not that it can't be taught but just saying

Right away, Laine plays on the power play.  Also on a line with Suzuki and maybe Lehkonen - 2 responsible defensive players. Suzuki & Laine put up 80 points.

We wouldn't sign Laine for 9mil. for 8 years? Montreal makes the playoffs and wins the Stanley Cup.  Laine MVP. Does 9mil. still sound like too much? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Right away, Laine plays on the power play.  Also on a line with Suzuki and maybe Lehkonen - 2 responsible defensive players. Suzuki & Laine put up 80 points.

We wouldn't sign Laine for 9mil. for 8 years? Montreal makes the playoffs and wins the Stanley Cup.  Laine MVP. Does 9mil. still sound like too much? 

 .....except Suzuki would be gone in order to acquire him as I posted.... " I suspect the asking price was too rich and at least included Suzuki and another roster player like Domi + whatever " ....personally I would sign him in a heartbeat for for term and $ 9 mill per IF it didn't include gutting the team's future...but it did and that's why Bergevin walked 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd even consider Ehlers, as a consolation. Don't think we'd have to give up as much, but I wouldn't hold back. We have history with the 'Peg, and we can help them fill out their roster in areas they require. Do we settle for Nikolaj Ehlers? Are the reviews on Ehlers more favourable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

 .....except Suzuki would be gone in order to acquire him as I posted.... " I suspect the asking price was too rich and at least included Suzuki and another roster player like Domi + whatever " ....personally I would sign him in a heartbeat for for term and $ 9 mill per IF it didn't include gutting the team's future...but it did and that's why Bergevin walked 

I'm in agreement.  That is why I only listed the players, picks that I did. For me, as is the general consensus here on this forum, Suzuki is indeed an untouchable. He will only get better, and deserves to see this through. He has all the attributes necessary, to be the next captain for the Habs. & I think the Habs see that, as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, habby67 said:

Let's face it. MB never had a plan and never will. He probably couldn't plan a birthday party.

He probably has a "plan" but probably doesn't have all the steps to achieve it.
Like, he's probably thinking, "My plan is to make the post-season and compete for the Cup by having good players at all positions." But that's probably the extent out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

He probably has a "plan" but probably doesn't have all the steps to achieve it.
Like, he's probably thinking, "My plan is to make the post-season and compete for the Cup by having good players at all positions." But that's probably the extent out of it.

Agree.

I just dont think he's very good at certain aspects of his job. Details? Yes. Big picture, no.  That said, I have no - zero - doubt that he loves the habs and wants to see the team win. But wanting something alone is not enough, otherwise guys like Steve Begin and Mike Keane would have been Art Ross winners.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Suzuki is out of the question for me. And we really are talking hypotheticals here cause MB doesn't see to have any interest (I don't blame him but I disagree). But would you be willing to give up, say Domi and Kotkaniemi for Laine? I think I would. You just can't find that kind of goal scoring and I'm not as certain about JK's potential. 

Not as interested in Ehlers, he'd be another LW that isn't quite a 1st line guy and we have that already in Drouin and Tatar. We have a hole at RW after Gallagher which at this point will likely be filled by Kovalchuk/Armia, who are both more 3rd line guys. 

RW is probably our biggest hole right now, given Romanov's arrival and the signing of Edmunson. It's not like LD is a strength, but I'd say it's good enough given how strong our right side is. 

This is why I'd be so into Laine. RW and goal scorer (also size), it seems like he's everything we lack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From TSN...

Pat Hickey believes the Canadiens could offer the Jets a mix of Max Domi, Brett Kulak, a young player such as Cale Fleury or Noah Juulsen and, if need be, their first-round pick this year to complete the deal. Laine is signed through next season at $6.75 million cap hit, which Hickey notes the Canadiens could easily squeeze under the cap.

If that's all it takes,,, i'm all in. I think he's dreaming personally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

From TSN...

Pat Hickey believes the Canadiens could offer the Jets a mix of Max Domi, Brett Kulak, a young player such as Cale Fleury or Noah Juulsen and, if need be, their first-round pick this year to complete the deal. Laine is signed through next season at $6.75 million cap hit, which Hickey notes the Canadiens could easily squeeze under the cap.

If that's all it takes,,, I'm all in. I think he's dreaming personally.

Kind of along the lines I was suggesting. I'd even give more, if that'll git'er done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

From TSN...

Pat Hickey believes the Canadiens could offer the Jets a mix of Max Domi, Brett Kulak, a young player such as Cale Fleury or Noah Juulsen and, if need be, their first-round pick this year to complete the deal. Laine is signed through next season at $6.75 million cap hit, which Hickey notes the Canadiens could easily squeeze under the cap.

If that's all it takes,,, i'm all in. I think he's dreaming personally.

agreed; i'm all in, but he's dreaming

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

From TSN...

Pat Hickey believes the Canadiens could offer the Jets a mix of Max Domi, Brett Kulak, a young player such as Cale Fleury or Noah Juulsen and, if need be, their first-round pick this year to complete the deal. Laine is signed through next season at $6.75 million cap hit, which Hickey notes the Canadiens could easily squeeze under the cap.

If that's all it takes,,, i'm all in. I think he's dreaming personally.

Id definitely do it. Its just weird that LeBrun (who i think is more connected than Hickey) says we're not interested in Laine (not sure if thats because of the player or the price). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id definitely do it. Its just weird that LeBrun (who i think is more connected than Hickey) says we're not interested in Laine (not sure if thats because of the player or the price). 

it has to be the price. I know this isn't a CJ or MB player but if it was cheap enough (like Hickey suggests) I'm sure they'd do something. 

It sounds like he will be moved though so we'll see what he fetches 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ohh boy a defensively challenged Liane on the same team as a defensively challenged Drouin in front of a defensively challenged D core and you all talk about making us better LMAO.  Not a chance.  If Laine made a team better do you really think the jets would be shopping him???  Remove laine from all the talk and go hard after Barzal!!!!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id definitely do it. Its just weird that LeBrun (who i think is more connected than Hickey) says we're not interested in Laine (not sure if thats because of the player or the price). 

I wouldn't do it without a solid commitment or signed contract(extension). Heck of a price to pay for one year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, claremont said:

Exactly this - acquiring Laine will make us better but IMO not put us into top 4 contending status so why mortgage the future of giving away current prospects or this years draft choices. Now if it’s trading 2021 draft picks AND some spare parts AND Laine signs an extension then I’m a little more supportive. So I’ll agree to disagree with the majority. 

Yes for sure IF all this happens then I would would also be more supportive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Ohh boy a defensively challenged Liane on the same team as a defensively challenged Drouin in front of a defensively challenged D core and you all talk about making us better LMAO.  Not a chance.  If Laine made a team better do you really think the jets would be shopping him???  Remove laine from all the talk and go hard after Barzal!!!!

 

 

If it's a choice between a guy who constantly drops the puck behind him, or back to the point on the PP, as opposed to a player who actually shoots at the net, i think i'd put my money on Laine. Not sure i'd want him for much more then Hickey suggests though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...