The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

27 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Romanov is different, they wanted him. But if you have 5 Romanov's then they will be will to trade down 5 picks. Thats the only way they trade down. They wont take a chance on losing a guy because they think they can get him later

Very good discussion- it does depend on who is picked in the range 11-15 if they were one of their equally rated players. IMO if the draft goes the way I think it will (obviously the professional scouting staff know more), there is not much difference between Holloway, Mercer, Jarvis, Perreault, Gunler and Amirov (though I would prefer not taking negotiation risk with the Russian). I am comfortable we will get a good scorer (5 of 6 have size), capable of being on the roster in 2-3 years. Now if they decide to take a d man, I’ll be a little p’d since IMO the forwards at the top of the draft are better than the d man depth. 

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Chicago had 7 Mil cap space and have Strome and Kubalik to resign if you offered Kubalik say 7+ x 7 years they would be in quite a pickle

I would agree but You are missing my comment on the extra cap room that LTIR provides (it adds to the cap room), unless you think Seabrook and Shaw are both returning during the 2020-2021 season. By a number of reports Seabrook may not return at all next season. Shaw may return if his concussion symptoms are fully cleared. If they do indeed sign their RFA’s and then those two return during the season, they would be hooped and have to trade someone to be compliant 

7 minutes ago, claremont said:

I would agree but You are missing my comment on the extra cap room that LTIR provides (it adds to the cap room), unless you think Seabrook and Shaw are both returning during the 2020-2021 season. By a number of reports Seabrook may not return at all next season. Shaw may return if his concussion symptoms are fully cleared. If they do indeed sign their RFA’s and then those two return during the season, they would be hooped and have to trade someone to be compliant 

How about doing the flip side ?...if a team offered Domi  $ 5, 500,000 for 4 or 5 years  would you take the compensation of a 1st 2nd and 3rd  or would pay it ? if it was  $5,478 ,986 or less ( more likely ) would you take  a 1st and 3rd or pay it ?...I think there is a team out there ( don't say Carolina ) that would be willing take a chance on him as a centre with a 72 point campaign behind him so I wouldn't be surprised if this happened . Maybe a good enough reason to sign him or trade him soon .  

LeBrun: Interestingly enough, Marc Bergevin, general manager of the Habs, said in an interview with Marc Antoine Godin in The Athletic posted Thursday that he is open to trading his 16th overall pick in the first round which matches what I’m hearing from other teams around the league who suggest that he is open to it, but what he’s looking for is a top-six forward that would augment that offence that obviously needs some help for the Montreal Canadiens. I don’t sense that there’s a match right now, but obviously the Montreal Canadiens have until the draft next Tuesday to see if there’s a match.

20 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

LeBrun: Interestingly enough, Marc Bergevin, general manager of the Habs, said in an interview with Marc Antoine Godin in The Athletic posted Thursday that he is open to trading his 16th overall pick in the first round which matches what I’m hearing from other teams around the league who suggest that he is open to it, but what he’s looking for is a top-six forward that would augment that offence that obviously needs some help for the Montreal Canadiens. I don’t sense that there’s a match right now, but obviously the Montreal Canadiens have until the draft next Tuesday to see if there’s a match.

I've also been hearing the rumours of MB trading the 16th pic, but if he wants a top 6 player, it will probably cost more than the 16th pick. IMO, MB will wait until the draft and then auction it off. 

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

I've also been hearing the rumours of MB trading the 16th pic, but if he wants a top 6 player, it will probably cost more than the 16th pick. IMO, MB will wait until the draft and then auction it off. 

I see happening this year what happens every year...its Montreal's turn to pick, MB sits by a non-ringing phone, then MB and TT stand up, walk to the podium, congratulate the Cup winners, and pick someone.

57 minutes ago, Windoe said:

I see happening this year what happens every year...its Montreal's turn to pick, MB sits by a non-ringing phone, then MB and TT stand up, walk to the podium, congratulate the Cup winners, and pick someone.

So, we agree to disagree,,,,,,,,,,,,,, game on. :P

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Totally depends on the player. I have no doubt you could get a decent 30 year old winger for 16th overall from a team that is in rebuild or retool mode.  

Personally i think its  a bad move. I have no problem with trading 16th overall but i would do it as part of a package (With someone like Danault or Domi) to get a young, quality winger.  

Getting a 'top 6 winger that augments offence' is not what this team needs. That essentially sounds like more of the same: Tatar, Drouin, Armia, Lehks - all good - but not elite -  players ...typical MB "quantity over quality."    We need a high end player. Not more middle six guys.  

MB is in the perfect position (lots of players, picks and prospects + we have cap space) to make this happen.  But will he? 

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Totally depends on the player. I have no doubt you could get a decent 30 year old winger for 16th overall from a team that is in rebuild or retool mode.  

Personally i think its  a bad move. I have no problem with trading 16th overall but i would do it as part of a package (With someone like Danault or Domi) to get a young, quality winger.  

Getting a 'top 6 winger that augments offence' is not what this team needs. That essentially sounds like more of the same: Tatar, Drouin, Armia, Lehks - all good - but not elite -  players ...typical MB "quantity over quality."    We need a high end player. Not more middle six guys.  

MB is in the perfect position (lots of players, picks and prospects + we have cap space) to make this happen.  But will he? 

For some reason, I think that MB will hit for the fences at the draft, because he (IMO), has to know that his time is running out. 

34 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

For some reason, I think that MB will hit for the fences at the draft, because he (IMO), has to know that his time is running out. 

I would love to see MB try and get 3rd or 5th from the Sens. I feel like the draft is going to go like this.

1. Byfield (Rags need a top 6 Center deperately and Byfield is/could be NHL ready by Dec/Jan)

2. Lafreniere (L.A. needs a winger)

3. Raymond/Stutzel (Sens are reportedly extremely high on Raymond and could take him at 3)

4. Sanderson/Stutzel (depends on who the Sens or us IF we could get 3rd takes)

5. Sanderson/Holtz/Raymond/Askarov (This is going to be the wildcard spot depending on what the Sens do with their picks)

I feel like Danault (Extended) + Fleury + 16th OVA would be enough to get one of the Sens top 5 picks so why not give it a shot.

Another name out there that has been very quiet but I think would be a perfect fir on our top two lines is Tyler Toffoli, puts up decent numbers and has good size.  I truly think we could get him around the 6 mil per mark so not a substantial contract for a top 6 winger

57 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Another name out there that has been very quiet but I think would be a perfect fir on our top two lines is Tyler Toffoli, puts up decent numbers and has good size.  I truly think we could get him around the 6 mil per mark so not a substantial contract for a top 6 winger

?? Toffoli has only scored more than 25 goals or 50 points in 1 of his 7 seasons. I would hardly think he qualifies as a top 6 winger. IMO that’s a colossal waste of money for a retool who is a “big hope”. Even Thomas Tatar has out performed Toffoli and I don’t think I’d resign Thomas for 3-4 more years and give Tatar a raise from his current $4.8m 

“You’re gonna need a bigger boat”

12 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Further notes on this, according to Lebrun, The Athletic, and also The Score...

- MB says it wouldn't be smart to trade his 1st for a player with only one year left on his contract

- But does say that his 1st "is more available than usual" and that he has been calling teams and agreeing to talk about his 1st rounder as trade bait

The fact he's targeting a top 6 forward means he knows he needs one but it's also not a great sign that he doesn't see a need for a top-pairing LHD as a more important item on his shopping list.

2 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

48 minutes ago, claremont said:

?? Toffoli has only scored more than 25 goals or 50 points in 1 of his 7 seasons. I would hardly think he qualifies as a top 6 winger. IMO that’s a colossal waste of money for a retool who is a “big hope”. Even Thomas Tatar has out performed Toffoli and I don’t think I’d resign Thomas for 3-4 more years and give Tatar a raise from his current $4.8m 

“You’re gonna need a bigger boat”

Toffoli definitely qualifies as a top 6 winger. He might not be a 30+ goal scorer, but 20-25 goals is solid production. He’s got good playoff numbers as well. I like Toffoli a lot, and for a fair price I would welcome the addition. But from everything I’ve seen and heard so far, I would be surprised if he doesn’t stay in Vancouver.

37 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Toffoli definitely qualifies as a top 6 winger. He might not be a 30+ goal scorer, but 20-25 goals is solid production. He’s got good playoff numbers as well. I like Toffoli a lot, and for a fair price I would welcome the addition. But from everything I’ve seen and heard so far, I would be surprised if he doesn’t stay in Vancouver.

Doesn’t do it for me - 4 of 7 seasons with 20-25 goals for a 47th overall pick for the previous poster’s $6m and he will probably want a minimum 3- 4 year term. In 2-3 years we should have some entry level drafted players that eclipse that. He’s a 4-5m player and iffy for me on his consistency. 

2 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

No Thanks to Toffoli.  Time is now, to go big or draft 16th. We need high end players, not more tier 2 & tier 3 players.

5 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

He's definitely a plan b.

To me our plan a should be a #1 RW - someone better than Gallagher. So you go New guy > Gallagher > Armia  thats a nice balanced top 3 RW.

But if thats unavailable, getting a guy who is a step behind gallagher could work - if he's UFA and doesnt cost assets.  Trading Danault or Domi for a middle six guy is not really going to help much.  But adding Toffoli so your depth is now Gallager > Toffoli > Armia  wouldnt be the end of the world since you keep all other assets. He's a .60ppg winger, and only 28 but my understanding is that the canucks really hope to resign him.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The fact he's targeting a top 6 forward means he knows he needs one but it's also not a great sign that he doesn't see a need for a top-pairing LHD as a more important item on his shopping list.

Im pretty positive he feels his D is set. Adding Edmundson was, in his mind, the last thing he needed to do. Thats why he's purportedly not interested in Krug (despite us having a couple of good inroads with Petry and Julien). 

We'd better hope Romanov is truly ready for big minutes. If he is, we'll probably be ok. If he's not, we once again will have one or more players playing over their heads on the left side. 

13 hours ago, maas_art said:

This is what I'm thinking. Let's get that first line right winger, allowing Gally & Army to drop into 2nd & 3rd line duties. With stronger defense & goaltending, we will keep the puck in the O-zone more and hopefully, that will translate into more goals. Glad some users feel the same way.  Let's do this.

4 minutes ago, electron58 said:

This is what I'm thinking. Let's get that first line right winger, allowing Gally & Army to drop into 2nd & 3rd line duties. With stronger defense & goaltending, we will keep the puck in the O-zone more and hopefully, that will translate into more goals. Glad some users feel the same way.  Let's do this.

It should be plan A imho.

My guess  is that he falls back on plan b: sign a middle of the road UFA (Dananov, Toffoli, Hoffman) and resign Domi/Keep Danault.   It would be better than nothing (adding another decent player without losing any) but still doesnt address our biggest needs. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

It should be plan A imho.

My guess  is that he falls back on plan b: sign a middle of the road UFA (Dananov, Toffoli, Hoffman) and resign Domi/Keep Danault.   It would be better than nothing (adding another decent player without losing any) but still doesnt address our biggest needs. 

Yes!  So, absolute worst case scenario, he signs Hoffman. The guy can certainly score. Does he have any baggage? Because we know, that Bergy does not like baggage.

37 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Yes!  So, absolute worst case scenario, he signs Hoffman. The guy can certainly score. Does he have any baggage? Because we know, that Bergy does not like baggage.

I hope your not serious about asking if he has baggage :).  I think he has more baggage than baggage handler at an airport

45 minutes ago, electron58 said:

6 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I hope your not serious about asking if he has baggage :).  I think he has more baggage than baggage handler at an airport

In fairness, the baggage seems to be linked to his fiance, not Hoffman himself. Further, the matter never got resolved - his fiance/girlfriend (I think they are still together?) mainted her innocence throughout & the RCMP cyber crimes unit could find no link between her & the cyberbullying so its theoretically possible she had nothing to do with it - and even more likely he didnt. 

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Im pretty positive he feels his D is set. Adding Edmundson was, in his mind, the last thing he needed to do. Thats why he's purportedly not interested in Krug (despite us having a couple of good inroads with Petry and Julien). 

We'd better hope Romanov is truly ready for big minutes. If he is, we'll probably be ok. If he's not, we once again will have one or more players playing over their heads on the left side. 

I agree with you. MB think Weber and Petry are capable of handling more than they have shown endurance-wise, and he seems to think his left D is much better than it actually is. He has always over-estimated the capabilities of guys who play physically and block shots and so on. Murray. Emelin. Alzner. Chiarot. Now Edmundson. The way the Habs and some of the media talk about Weber-Petry-Chiarot as the Habs' new version of the "Big 3" is surprising and way off IMO. It's also an insult to Robinson-Savard-Lapointe. I get Petry. I would agree with a younger Weber. But Chiarot is a #5 defenceman, not a top 3 guy and nowhere close to being a good 3rd D man. Do we really think he would be able to play that role on a contending team? Likewise, Edmundson's advanced stats shows he's maybe a #6 or #7 guy. Hard to believe he'll be an instant fix as a #4.

The only plausible explanation for the left side of the D is that MB thinks Romanov is ready to be a top-pairing guy right away and that someone out of Norlinder and Struble and Harris will be a top 4 guy within a couple of years as well. In that case, he may not want to invest in another player for 5-6 years knowing he has help coming. But where it doesn't make sense is what we've been talking about with respect to Bergevin's nonsense all along: he doesn't have a plan that brings together a Cup challenger in the same window. He has guys like Price and Weber and Petry (and had others like Plekanec and Markov and so on) whose window is closing and then he's failed to address the holes on this roster to give them a real shot at contending now, yet he also won't trade away those players to build around his younger core.

This is why I've been advocating a plan along the lines of trading away the likes of Weber and maybe a Tatar or a Domi or so on and going after the likes of guys like Laine, Ehlers, Dumba, Werenski (last year, too late now!), or so on. Find guys who are already good now but who will also continue to be good for 5+ years. It gives you a chance to win with Price but doesn't shut the door on winning in a couple of years with Suzuki/JK/Romanov/Norlinder/Primeau/etc. either.

Not sure if these have been discussed already but a few rumors from around the league:

- First with us, Friedman reporting that the Habs in fact did inquire about Patrik Laine but that the Jets asked for Suzuki and other pieces as the return, so understandable why Bergevin balked. As a potential 1C, Suzuki has more value to us than Laine, especially with Laine's possible baggage and Suzuki's friendlier contract. I wouldn't trade Suzuki for Laine straight up.

- Also rumors of SJ looking at acquiring Dubnyk and Ryan Donato from Minnesota and having offered up a 1st or 2nd rounder plus a prospect for the two players.

- CBJ shopping Josh Anderson and rumored to want a 1st rounder in return. Renaud Lavoie wonders if the Habs could offer Max Domi for Anderson instead.

- Boston and Vancouver the two teams that OEL prefers to go to. Vancouver apparently not close on return but have no issue taking OEL's contract. Boston apparently interested and thought that they will likely not re-sign Krug so have the need to find a replacement.

- NJ Devils apparently have interest in trying to pry Sergachev out of Tampa. Tampa needs to dump salary quickly but would prefer to trade at least one of Palat, Johnson, Gourde, Killorn, etc.

• H_T_L locked this topic