The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

- NJ Devils apparently have interest in trying to pry Sergachev out of Tampa. Tampa needs to dump salary quickly but would prefer to trade at least one of Palat, Johnson, Gourde, Killorn, etc.

Looks like Edmonton may be seriously interested in Sergachev as well. I just can't remember where I read it. Trade would involve Evan Bouchard going back the other way.  Obviously, not one for one.

Friedman says Panthers open to shaking things up and that he suspects anyone other than Barkov is available for the right price. Have to figure MB should be drooling over the prospect of adding Jonathan Huberdeau. Would depend on whether he could do it without giving up Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, or Romanov. I don't think the Panthers are in re-build mode so much as they might want to just change their locker room and personnel. If they wanted a re-build I highly doubt they agree to take on Hornqvist. There were also rumors they might be willing to part with Borgstrom. Their D is atrocious, especially the left side. So might they consider something along the lines of

Huberdeau and Borgstrom

FOR

Domi, Tatar, Mete, and Habs 2020 1st Rd pick

20 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Friedman says Panthers open to shaking things up and that he suspects anyone other than Barkov is available for the right price. Have to figure MB should be drooling over the prospect of adding Jonathan Huberdeau. Would depend on whether he could do it without giving up Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, or Romanov. I don't think the Panthers are in re-build mode so much as they might want to just change their locker room and personnel. If they wanted a re-build I highly doubt they agree to take on Hornqvist. There were also rumors they might be willing to part with Borgstrom. Their D is atrocious, especially the left side. So might they consider something along the lines of

Huberdeau and Borgstrom

FOR

How about Drouin,  Poehling,  Mete, Brooke, 2020 1st.,( 2021 1st or 2020 2nd) & Byron or Hudon?

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Huberdeau and Borgstrom

FOR

so Borgstrom would be a throw- in ( 50 NHL games )...I would make this deal but I don't think Florida would ...Tatar is a UFA next year ( not big )  , Domi still inconsistent ( not big ) needs a contract , Mete ( not big ) hasn't really proved anything yet but is moderately serviceable and the  16th overall probably won't be ready for 2 years ...for a signed 27 yr old  Huberdeau , top scorer on the team with size ( 6'3" 202 lbs ) with a decently cap friendly $ 5,900,000 for 3 more years considering his production ...Florida has to get some bodies signed no question but they also have almost $22 million in cap room . Like I said I would do this deal but I don't think Florida would be interested .

52 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

so Borgstrom would be a throw- in ( 50 NHL games )...I would make this deal but I don't think Florida would ...Tatar is a UFA next year ( not big )  , Domi still inconsistent ( not big ) needs a contract , Mete ( not big ) hasn't really proved anything yet but is moderately serviceable and the  16th overall probably won't be ready for 2 years ...for a signed 27 yr old  Huberdeau , top scorer on the team with size ( 6'3" 202 lbs ) with a decently cap friendly $ 5,900,000 for 3 more years considering his production ...Florida has to get some bodies signed no question but they also have almost $22 million in cap room . Like I said I would do this deal but I don't think Florida would be interested .

I think Florida views Borgstrom the way we view Poehling right now. No real big step forward last year and on the brink of being a bust if he doesn't get it going in the next season or so. The rumors are that they're ready to move on.

Huberdeau is a great player, absolutely. But he's also been one of the core players in Florida and they haven't been able to build any type of success despite multiple coaching and personnel changes. They might just want to take a different route. Sure, I could have thrown Drouin into the trade, but that might be more of the same for Florida. I thought the package I proposed would be different and potentially more enticing. Tatar is a good scorer and he's only two years older than Huberdeau. Yes, he is a UFA after next year, but if you follow his social media, he clearly loves to vacation in the sun and sit on the beach. Miami might be appealing as a destination to him, and Florida would be able to negotiate a new deal with him just about right away. Domi is younger than Huberdeau and gives them a 2C behind Barkov, something they don't have right now. Yes, Tatar is a clear drop-off from Huberdeau (just as he was a drop off from Pacioretty for us) but with Hoffman and Dadonov potentially both leaving, Florida may want to add 2 top 6 forwards for one going out. Then look at Florida's miserable D corps and especially their left side, where they have Yandle and McKenzie Weegar and that's about it as far as NHL D-men go. Mete might be their best LHD the day he walks in the locker room. Then throw in our 1st rounder, which maybe gives Florida the ammo it needs to move up for a pick in the top 7-10 if they so choose. I don't think it's as immediate a write-off for the Panthers as you suggest. M2C anyways.

Rumor is MTL is going to sign Kovalchuk, some line ideas:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher (hard to break up a winning line)
Domi-Suzuki-Drouin (apparently Drouin can play right wing, puts Domi up with 2 other good players vs him being a 4th line center)
Kovalchuk-Kotkaniemi-Armia (big and skilled)
Lehkonen-Weal/Evans-Byron (not really sure what's going on here, my guess is some 3rd liners getting pushed down to the 4th line)

in front of an average D, and very solid G duo

1 hour ago, Windoe said:

Rumor is MTL is going to sign Kovalchuk, some line ideas:
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher (hard to break up a winning line)
Domi-Suzuki-Drouin (apparently Drouin can play right wing, puts Domi up with 2 other good players vs him being a 4th line center)
Kovalchuk-Kotkaniemi-Armia (big and skilled)
Lehkonen-Weal/Evans-Byron (not really sure what's going on here, my guess is some 3rd liners getting pushed down to the 4th line)

Sort of sad, that this would be the default positioning. I’d really like to see Bergevin pry Puljujarvi from Edmonton to give us some excitement. Kovalchuk  has to be on the back burner pending some winger acquisition. Weal is useless and I guess the days of a 4th line checking line are gone as that line is soft with no Poehling. Lehkonen and Byron have value on penalty killing and I’ve watched Byron on shootouts and he’s not been bad but otherwise they are just filler. I’d be dangling Armia as I’m not sold on his consistency. They have to align KK with better players to set him up with success (he and Drouin seemed to click in the qualifying round), otherwise KK is carrying slug weight. 
Bergevin has to show some improvement to easily making the playoffs and winning 1 round otherwise he shouldn’t buy 1 more year from Molson (I know more of you expect more). There’s so many question marks in our forwards as to whether they can improve and deliver. I’m not worried about our defense and look forward to evaluating Romanov and Edmundson. 

3 hours ago, Windoe said:

average D?   So that would put us around the 16th best or worst Defense in the league. The D right now is more than average. Go through cap friendly and find 10 teams that are better than the habs D. I think you'd be lucky to find 5 teams better. (arguments to follow) LOL. Offence a different story.  We need SCORING. Yes SCORING. and for the 3rd time we need SCORING.

28 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

average D?   So that would put us around the 16th best or worst Defense in the league. The D right now is more than average. Go through cap friendly and find 10 teams that are better than the habs D. I think you'd be lucky to find 5 teams better. (arguments to follow) LOL. Offence a different story.  We need SCORING. Yes SCORING. and for the 3rd time we need SCORING.

In general, I think the most important thing for a D corps is having a great #1 D man who can play big minutes well. Weber and Petry are both great hockey players, but neither holds up well over a full season at their age. So that's where guys like Hedman, Jones, Heiskanen, Makar, etc. trump them. On the other hand, we do have two D men who are strong and who can split minutes, and our right D for that reason is among the strongest in the league. Our left side, on the other hand is among the weakest. So in terms of teams where I think their D corps are stronger than ours (again many based on simply the strength of their top 1-2 D men and ability to throw those guys out for big minutes because they're a bit younger):

- Tampa

- Colorado

- Dallas

- Columbus

- Carolina

- Boston (if you include Krug and Chara)

- Minnesota

- Nashville

- St. Louis (if you include Pietrangelo)

- San Jose (they have similar issues to us but their top 3 is better than our top 3)

And teams where I'd put them in the same range as us:

- Washington

- NY Rangers

- Calgary (including Brodie and Hamonic)

So I'd agree with you more or less. I don't think we have a top 10 D in the league but we're pretty close overall. The major problem is that unless our younger guys come through, our D strength is overall declining over the next year or two whereas other teams' will rise, as our only two quality D men today are both getting up there in age.

2 hours ago, claremont said:

Sort of sad, that this would be the default positioning. I’d really like to see Bergevin pry Puljujarvi from Edmonton to give us some excitement. Kovalchuk  has to be on the back burner pending some winger acquisition. Weal is useless and I guess the days of a 4th line checking line are gone as that line is soft with no Poehling. Lehkonen and Byron have value on penalty killing and I’ve watched Byron on shootouts and he’s not been bad but otherwise they are just filler. I’d be dangling Armia as I’m not sold on his consistency. They have to align KK with better players to set him up with success (he and Drouin seemed to click in the qualifying round), otherwise KK is carrying slug weight. 
Bergevin has to show some improvement to easily making the playoffs and winning 1 round otherwise he shouldn’t buy 1 more year from Molson (I know more of you expect more). There’s so many question marks in our forwards as to whether they can improve and deliver. I’m not worried about our defense and look forward to evaluating Romanov and Edmundson. 

I'm a little cool on the Kovalchuk thing too ...I think he's too slow for this club at this point but not total dogmeat ...He just didn't do that well with Washington playing a heavier game. If  Montreal signed him it would be in large part to transition Romanov . I too would rather try to get the young Finn out of Edmonton . Any way you slice it Kovalchuk doesn't merit a piece of the pie more than a 1 yr. bonus -laden $2 million contract .

28 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I'm a little cool on the Kovalchuk thing too ...I think he's too slow for this club at this point but not total dogmeat ...He just didn't do that well with Washington playing a heavier game. If  Montreal signed him it would be in large part to transition Romanov . I too would rather try to get the young Finn out of Edmonton . Any way you slice it Kovalchuk doesn't merit a piece of the pie more than a 1 yr. bonus -laden $2 million contract .

I think if we have to move a couple of forwards in any deal we need to make he could be fine as a 1 year filler as long as it means we have added a truly impactful player. he did well here because we put him in a position to do well in Washington he was just filler in case they needed him. if he plays with a good center and a strong winger on the other side he could have another good year but like i said i would only do it if we had to give up enough forward depth that we had a hole to fill.

1 minute ago, ramcharger440 said:

I think if we have to move a couple of forwards in any deal we need to make a deal he could be fine as a 1 year filler as long as it means we have added a truly impactful player. he did well here because we put him in a position to do well in Washington he was just filler in case they needed him. if he plays with a good center and a strong winger on the other side he could have another good year but like i said i would only do it if we had to give up enough forward depth that we had a hole to fill.

fair point ( the hole to fill need ).....I feel that's going to happen too ...too many cap and cash- strapped teams heading into a season where paying customers might not even be an option ...covid is here to stay for a while  ...US cities are no guarantee ....Montreal is in a good position to take advantage ...let the fireworks begin 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

Yeah,,, i'm OK with adding Kovy for another year as long as he's used appropriately. I like him on the PP and he's a decent guy to send out there on shootouts. If we're not in the running for a playoff spot he can also be moved for an asset at the trade deadline. I'd want to explore stronger options for our Cap room and a more permanent option if available, but if not,,,,, sure,, why not?

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

In general, I think the most important thing for a D corps is having a great #1 D man who can play big minutes well. Weber and Petry are both great hockey players, but neither holds up well over a full season at their age. So that's where guys like Hedman, Jones, Heiskanen, Makar, etc. trump them. On the other hand, we do have two D men who are strong and who can split minutes, and our right D for that reason is among the strongest in the league. Our left side, on the other hand is among the weakest. So in terms of teams where I think their D corps are stronger than ours (again many based on simply the strength of their top 1-2 D men and ability to throw those guys out for big minutes because they're a bit younger):

- Tampa

- Colorado

- Dallas

- Columbus

- Carolina

- Boston (if you include Krug and Chara)

- Minnesota

- Nashville

- St. Louis (if you include Pietrangelo)

- San Jose (they have similar issues to us but their top 3 is better than our top 3)

And teams where I'd put them in the same range as us:

- Washington

- NY Rangers

- Calgary (including Brodie and Hamonic)

So I'd agree with you more or less. I don't think we have a top 10 D in the league but we're pretty close overall. The major problem is that unless our younger guys come through, our D strength is overall declining over the next year or two whereas other teams' will rise, as our only two quality D men today are both getting up there in age.

This.

If you somehow could magically add a #1 dman to this squad (lets say we had won the lottery 2 years ago & drafted Dahlin) we have probably one of the best d corps in the NHL   But without that we have #2-6 (with as many as 5 competent #4-6 guys) but someone is playing over their heads with what we have now. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This.

If you somehow could magically add a #1 dman to this squad (lets say we had won the lottery 2 years ago & drafted Dahlin) we have probably one of the best d corps in the NHL   But without that we have #2-6 (with as many as 5 competent #4-6 guys) but someone is playing over their heads with what we have now. 

And I'll add this: I think Weber and Petry are both fringe #1 D men (or good #2 D men) in the NHL. The problem for me is that over the past two years or so we've seen them just absolutely fall off a cliff mid-season. You look at Weber's skating in the first 2-3 weeks of the year vs. in February and it's astounding how much of a drop-off you see. You look at some of the defensive miscues Petry makes in the 2nd half that he just doesn't make in the 1st half. This year, I think we really benefited from the lay-off to rebound strong in the re-start in large part because our key players are older and were able to rest.

So if the season was 40-50 games and if the NHL was going to dissolve in two years and you didn't have to plan for the future, then Weber and Petry are probably great choices as D men. But I think it's misconstrued to believe you can build your D around those two and not have at least one young stud to support them. A tired Petry or a Weber whose playing hurt 60 games into the season aren't able to carry guys like Chiarot, Edmundson, Mete, etc. You need to have better skaters and puck movers and creators on the left, and you have to have someone who can produce some offence and play big minutes soundly. I'll come back to what I said two off-seasons ago, but I think the Habs missed the mark offer-sheeting Aho when the guy I said we should have gone after was Werenski. He ended up signing for 3 years and 5M AAV. Do we not believe he wouldn't have thought about an offer for 8.2M AAV for 6 or 7 years? That's a raise of over 60%. And I'd easily have given up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to make that happen. Our 1st might have even been a pick in the 20's with Werenski, and can you imagine if we were going into our next camp lining up like this...

Werenski-Weber

Romanov-Petry

Kulak-Juulsen

That fills the roster spot you talked about that puts everyone in the right seat and then some. I'd venture Werenski-Petry-Weber might be the best 1-2-3 in the league.

Lebrun reporting that TB has asked Tyler Johnson to waive his full NTC for a possible trade. Dave Pagnotta reporting Johnson reluctant to do so. But there you go nonetheless, TB trying to move out money. They're going to be in trouble if they can't do it in the next few days and someone offersheets Sergachev or even Cirelli. Right now, they have about 5M in cap space left and they only have 3 D men and 10 forwards signed. They can't even fill another 7 roster spots by paying each guy 1M apiece.

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Lebrun reporting that TB has asked Tyler Johnson to waive his full NTC for a possible trade. Dave Pagnotta reporting Johnson reluctant to do so. But there you go nonetheless, TB trying to move out money. They're going to be in trouble if they can't do it in the next few days and someone offersheets Sergachev or even Cirelli. Right now, they have about 5M in cap space left and they only have 3 D men and 10 forwards signed. They can't even fill another 7 roster spots by paying each guy 1M apiece.

That’s the problem with “Going All in” in a cap world - hard to sustain. Bolts will still be a good team but those longer term contracts with NTC’s are handcuffs. Most of tbay NTC are absolute and not say 16 teams so that is bad negotiation by mgmt. If not waived, Braden Point gets moved or Sergachev or Cirelli are lost, or Killorn is moved. 

11 hours ago, claremont said:

That’s the problem with “Going All in” in a cap world - hard to sustain. Bolts will still be a good team but those longer term contracts with NTC’s are handcuffs. Most of tbay NTC are absolute and not say 16 teams so that is bad negotiation by mgmt. If not waived, Braden Point gets moved or Sergachev or Cirelli are lost, or Killorn is moved. 

Killorn has a limited NTC and it only kicks in on Oct 9th (start of the "new" season), so he's most likely to be dealt in the coming days. Wouldn't be surprised if MB has inquired about the asking price, he seems like the type of player Bergevin likes (not saying it's what we need for the price of his contract). No chance the Lightning move Point and I think they'd aim to match any offer on Sergachev. Just means they'll have to take a hit to trade the likes of Johnson, Palat, Killorn, or Gourde (or even Stamkos). They're going to have to dump probably 2 of those players and you'd expect the return will be less than it would have been if everyone didn't know the cap situation they're stuck in.

That said, you'd expect TB to continue to hold on to Point, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Sergachev long-term and that's still a good nucleus to build around. And frankly, I'd rather be TB with a Cup in hand and a solid nucleus than be us with no Cups in going on 28 years and no real plan either.

Brendan Gallagher and Carey Price's former agent posted that he suspects the Habs already have a significant trade completed and that they're just waiting for today to announce it. Who knows how legit this guy is or if he's just guessing but I guess stay tuned to find out. We all think MB is going to make some type of big trade, so it's certainly possible. Not sure if this guy has any sort of inside info since he no longer works as an agent anyways.

26 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Brendan Gallagher and Carey Price's former agent posted that he suspects the Habs already have a significant trade completed and that they're just waiting for today to announce it. Who knows how legit this guy is or if he's just guessing but I guess stay tuned to find out. We all think MB is going to make some type of big trade, so it's certainly possible. Not sure if this guy has any sort of inside info since he no longer works as an agent anyways.

Arizona has also announced they are taking offers for Hall'snegotiating rights. I say you offer up our highest 4th to pretty well make other teams have to give up a 3rd which will be tough for them to do

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Killorn has a limited NTC and it only kicks in on Oct 9th (start of the "new" season), so he's most likely to be dealt in the coming days. Wouldn't be surprised if MB has inquired about the asking price, he seems like the type of player Bergevin likes (not saying it's what we need for the price of his contract). No chance the Lightning move Point and I think they'd aim to match any offer on Sergachev. Just means they'll have to take a hit to trade the likes of Johnson, Palat, Killorn, or Gourde (or even Stamkos). They're going to have to dump probably 2 of those players and you'd expect the return will be less than it would have been if everyone didn't know the cap situation they're stuck in.

That said, you'd expect TB to continue to hold on to Point, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Sergachev long-term and that's still a good nucleus to build around. And frankly, I'd rather be TB with a Cup in hand and a solid nucleus than be us with no Cups in going on 28 years and no real plan either.

First, despite the Bolts being in cap hell, I agree with you on their fantastic core that will keep them as a strong contender in our division and conference. Hard to imagine Killorn coming to the habs and waiving his NTC given the 14% difference in tax rates but if his July 1 got moved out as you say to Oct 9th then you’re absolutely correct - he’s moving somewhere. That’s why I mentioned Point who does not have any NTC or NMC as an RFA. For 3 years of Killorn at $4.45m we should be greedy and ask for their 2nd round draft choice. I suspect Killorn is banished to Ottawa who need to spend the NHL cap minimum and have tons of cap room. 
Every single other high priced player on the Bolts has NTC or NMC except Pointe and Vaislevsky and they’re not moving that 8 yr $9.5M salary. Dumping Killorn only gives them $9.8M cap room - barely enough to even bridge Sergachev and Cirelli, which would get them to 16 contracts when the minimum roster is 20 skaters. BriseBois has a mess on his hands and needs some entry level players - hello Charles Hudon? 

34 minutes ago, claremont said:

First, despite the Bolts being in cap hell, I agree with you on their fantastic core that will keep them as a strong contender in our division and conference. Hard to imagine Killorn coming to the habs and waiving his NTC given the 14% difference in tax rates but if his July 1 got moved out as you say to Oct 9th then you’re absolutely correct - he’s moving somewhere. That’s why I mentioned Point who does not have any NTC or NMC as an RFA. For 3 years of Killorn at $4.45m we should be greedy and ask for their 2nd round draft choice. I suspect Killorn is banished to Ottawa who need to spend the NHL cap minimum and have tons of cap room. 
Every single other high priced player on the Bolts has NTC or NMC except Pointe and Vaislevsky and they’re not moving that 8 yr $9.5M salary. Dumping Killorn only gives them $9.8M cap room - barely enough to even bridge Sergachev and Cirelli, which would get them to 16 contracts when the minimum roster is 20 skaters. BriseBois has a mess on his hands and needs some entry level players - hello Charles Hudon? 

But Killorn's NTC doesn't kick in until Oct 9th. So the Lightning are free to move him anywhere before then. Kind of like what happened to Subban when the Habs dealt him before his NTC kicked in.

Like I said, I suspect TB will need to trade away two forwards to make it work. Killorn and Johnson seem like the most likely two to go but would depend on whether Johnson waives his NTC. If he does, I suspect he'll be very specific about where he agrees to be traded to, which means TB will almost certainly not get full value on any return.

Friedman says Habs and Flames two of the teams making biggest push for Josh Anderson.

Bruce Garrioch says Habs, Flyers, and Jackets among teams interested in Laine.

Not a surprise but the rumors confirm the thought that Bergevin is looking for a big scoring winger (potentially to go next to Drouin-Suzuki).

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

15 hours ago, claremont said:

True, but in the bolt's case, it worked out: Cup.  Its unlikely they'll be able to repeat if they do have to move a bunch of players. If they were smart they'd consider moving a key piece like Stamkos too - the haul they would get would be substantial and it would allow them complete  'reset'  and possibly compete again in 2-3 years. I just dont see them holding on to everyone and being able to ice an elite team with the cap going flat. 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Will be interesting.  You and I have an idea of what this team needs but i have this feeling that Marc Bergevin believes its something entirely different. 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

True, but in the bolt's case, it worked out: Cup.  Its unlikely they'll be able to repeat if they do have to move a bunch of players. If they were smart they'd consider moving a key piece like Stamkos too - the haul they would get would be substantial and it would allow them complete  'reset'  and possibly compete again in 2-3 years. I just dont see them holding on to everyone and being able to ice an elite team with the cap going flat.

If I were the Lightning, I'd definitely be looking to move Stamkos. He's been hurt so often and they essentially won a Cup without him. Moving his salary maybe saves you from moving two other players. I'm not sure about the return. He's getting up there in age (he'll be 31 during the upcoming season) and is still owed 8.5M a year, so he's a risk IMO. Is someone willing to pay Stamkos 8.5M a year to play half seasons? I absolutely believe there will be takers for trading for him. Are they going to get a big haul back? Not so sure, especially with the cap no longer expected to increase and GM's scrambling for cap space and especially with TB unable to take any much cap hit back. If you look at the Habs as a potential trade partner, for example, we're likely not trading an established big contract (or upcoming big contract) like Gallagher or Danault or Drouin or so on. We're likely not going to want to trade a younger, cheaper established NHLer like Suzuki or JK. So we're probably looking at something like a 1st rounder and maybe a prospect or two. It would be a bit like us trying to trade Weber or Price... I think we could expect to get back a good prospect/pick or two but we're not going to see a return like what Matt Duchene brought back (that's what I would call a haul)..

• H_T_L locked this topic