The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

53 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Im not trying to start rumours but man, you have to wonder if there's something behind the scenes we're not privy to with this guy.  

25 years old, just released from his 5th NHL team.  Year 1 with rangers: 7pts in 18 games.  Year two (Rookie) 44 points in 81 for AZ.  Then traded prior to the deadline a couple of years later & gets 8pts in 23 games for the hawks. Then i think released by the hawks? (was signed by Col, not traded) does so so  (11g in 53 games) - then traded to Ottawa at the deadline where he gets 14 points in 21 games and follows up with 40 points (23g) in 66 games and is promptly released. What the heck? 

Frankly they are better numbers than Anderson (different type of player, i know) who we just traded Domi + 3rd for!

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im not trying to start rumours but man, you have to wonder if there's something behind the scenes we're not privy to with this guy.  

25 years old, just released from his 5th NHL team.  Year 1 with rangers: 7pts in 18 games.  Year two (Rookie) 44 points in 81 for AZ.  Then traded prior to the deadline a couple of years later & gets 8pts in 23 games for the hawks. Then i think released by the hawks? (was signed by Col, not traded) does so so  (11g in 53 games) - then traded to Ottawa at the deadline where he gets 14 points in 21 games and follows up with 40 points (23g) in 66 games and is promptly released. What the heck? 

Frankly they are better numbers than Anderson (different type of player, i know) who we just traded Domi + 3rd for!

I like Anderson more even if there are no character issues

There have been character issues from day 1 https://www.tsn.ca/masters-how-duclair-overcame-character-concerns-to-become-the-duke-of-broadway-1.158539

I'd still be interested on like a 2 year 7 million dollar deal but I wouldn't give much more than that

46 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Possibility with Duclair:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Armia
Duclair-Kotkaniemi-Anderson
Lehkonen-Evans/Weal-Byron

Looking much improved, as is our D and G.

Anderson will not be playing 3rd line next year. At the least 2nd. And Danault first line. come on man.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:29 PM, BigTed3 said:

Werenski-Weber

Romanov-Petry

Kulak-Juulsen

That fills the roster spot you talked about that puts everyone in the right seat and then some. I'd venture Werenski-Petry-Weber might be the best 1-2-3 in the league.

Ok I'll give you a chance to explain, are you saying that without Werenski Weber and Petry are 2-3

1 hour ago, xxdocxx said:

Ok I'll give you a chance to explain, are you saying that without Werenski Weber and Petry are 2-3

I've given my opinion on this before but my feeling is that both Weber and Petry are fringe #1 or good #2 D men in the league. My concern is that with their age, they've shown they don't hold up well over a full season playing 20+ minutes a night. So while they start the year looking like #1 D men, they can't keep up with the minutes of a true #1 and thus look slower and more worn down and make more mistakes as the season goes on.

With Werenski, it gives you a younger minute eater. It puts less stress on Weber and Petry. And it gives at least one of them a partner who is more capable of moving the puck and producing offence and getting on loose pucks. It's much harder to play when you're lining up next to a Chiarot or Benn or Emelin or so on. If we had 3 guys like that, I'm not giving a specific order of who's who, I don't think that matters all that much.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I've given my opinion on this before but my feeling is that both Weber and Petry are fringe #1 or good #2 D men in the league. My concern is that with their age, they've shown they don't hold up well over a full season playing 20+ minutes a night. So while they start the year looking like #1 D men, they can't keep up with the minutes of a true #1 and thus look slower and more worn down and make more mistakes as the season goes on.

With Werenski, it gives you a younger minute eater. It puts less stress on Weber and Petry. And it gives at least one of them a partner who is more capable of moving the puck and producing offence and getting on loose pucks. It's much harder to play when you're lining up next to a Chiarot or Benn or Emelin or so on. If we had 3 guys like that, I'm not giving a specific order of who's who, I don't think that matters all that much.

This.  Weber is still Weber, but he's older. His positioning is every bit as good as it once was (maybe better) as with his ability to read plays.  He's not Hall-Gill slow but every year he gets a little slower (and was never super fast).  He's easily a #2 on just about any team in the NHL.  Many nights he'll look like a number one and for stretches (like in the play in round) he'll look downright elite, but this is not 2010-12. He cant maintain that over 82 games. And what is worse, we're mostly sadling him with #4-6 dmen as a partner. So not only does he have to deal with his own slowing down but he has to try to make up for his partner.

You put a true #1 LD with Weber - someone who does their fair share, maybe even eats more minutes than him  - and helps him rather than the other way around & i almost guarantee he plays like he's 5 years younger.   

Its clear MB is never trading him, so lets get him a partner that will bring out the best in him. Lets hope Romanov can do that, but its an awful lot to ask the young Czar. 

12 hours ago, Windoe said:

CBJ is rumoured to be trying to shed David Savard, 29yo RD 4.250m-1, 6'2 230 from Quebec, drafted 2009-94th by CBJ.

I don't know anything about him, but on paper he looks like MB's type.

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Romanov-Savard

I'm thinking that we're set @ D.  Unless it is a #1 LD then let's concentrate on a sniper. I don't think we've found one yet.

8 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I'm thinking that we're set @ D.  Unless it is a #1 LD then let's concentrate on a sniper. I don't think we've found one yet.

I hope we don't sign any more D, and I'm glad MB didn't use up our remaining cap space by taking Savard off CBJ's hands possibly in omission of the 3rd round pick we gave them, ie that we did:
Anderson for Domi + 3rd.
and not
Anderson + Savard for Domi

Nice to still have some cap space, hopefully for a LW imo. 

2 minutes ago, Windoe said:

I hope we don't sign any more D, and I'm glad MB didn't use up our remaining cap space by taking Savard off CBJ's hands possibly in omission of the 3rd round pick we gave them, ie that we did:
Anderson for Domi + 3rd.
and not
Anderson + Savard for Domi

Nice to still have some cap space, hopefully for a LW imo. 

a Sniper. LW or RW. I'm not choosy. We need goals. Even a Virtanen or a Debrusk  -  somebody that could excel under the right circumstances.

2 minutes ago, electron58 said:

a Sniper. LW or RW. I'm not choosy. We need goals. Even a Virtanen or a Debrusk  -  somebody that could excel under the right circumstances.

We're pretty locked up at RW though no? Anderson, Gallagher, Armia I think only play RW and Caufield is RW next year (likely)...and with Danault, Suzuki, and KK as our C's...wouldn't the top 9 addition have to be on the LW?

Or are you thinking maybe one of our RWs (Gallagher or Armia) goes to clear space for a more elite RW?

4 minutes ago, Windoe said:

We're pretty locked up at RW though no? Anderson, Gallagher, Armia I think only play RW and Caufield is RW next year (likely)...and with Danault, Suzuki, and KK as our C's...wouldn't the top 9 addition have to be on the LW?

Or are you thinking maybe one of our RWs (Gallagher or Armia) goes to clear space for a more elite RW?

If we got a #1 RD, then players would have to go the other way, and what we have would transition down the lineup to where they would be more effective. Can't say who would go the other way, but we pretty well have to give the same number of $ that we take back. Ideally, a top LD would be nice, but a #1 @ any position would be nice.  Just don't need another goalie.

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

If we got a #1 RD, then players would have to go the other way, and what we have would transition down the lineup to where they would be more effective. Can't say who would go the other way, but we pretty well have to give the same number of $ that we take back. Ideally, a top LD would be nice, but a #1 @ any position would be nice.  Just don't need another goalie.

Not sure I understand the #1 RD need - Petry is established there for probably the next 2 years as Weber fades to a #2 or even 3. Romanov has played a lot of RD even though he shoots left, so why cut him off at the knees on that opportunity at either top pairing Right or Left support. Guhle is likely our #1 LHD of the future  but has played a lot of RHD - that makes him and Romanov very valuable in our future

im with the others on upgrading at LW if we can

It's not called Free Agent frenzy for nothing but this year none of the bigger names went the first day and sports shows like TSN were left holding the bag only fill air time by speculating about next year's team Canada picks ...really ? ....there are a couple of players I thought would fit on the team but that doesn't mean they actually gave Montreal or Quebec's tax laws much consideration . If Bergy can land the right player of those left more power to him but if he's handing out $5.5 mill and 7 years to Anderson what a guy like Dadanov or Hoffman going to want ? He might have to make a trade to upgrade  the team and perhaps take on some salary 

18 hours ago, claremont said:

Not sure I understand the #1 RD need - Petry is established there for probably the next 2 years as Weber fades to a #2 or even 3. Romanov has played a lot of RD even though he shoots left, so why cut him off at the knees on that opportunity at either top pairing Right or Left support. Guhle is likely our #1 LHD of the future  but has played a lot of RHD - that makes him and Romanov very valuable in our future

im with the others on upgrading at LW if we can

My point being, let's upgrade our talent quality.  Bergevin is all about quantity - you can never have enough...............  I'm saying, if the price is right and you could make space or have space, wouldn't you want a Pieterangelo? Yes, we would have to move some parts, but how about Pat Laine? Again, we would have to move some parts around, I'm just saying that it would be nice to have a game changer.  Maybe now, with a very qualified backup, Price can be that game changer again. We don't have any player that we can throw on the ice at critical times to be "that guy".  Some of your top teams have 3, 4 or more of these guys. So I guess I'm just stressing the Quality aspect of a player.

23 minutes ago, electron58 said:

My point being, let's upgrade our talent quality.  Bergevin is all about quantity - you can never have enough...............  I'm saying, if the price is right and you could make space or have space, wouldn't you want a Pieterangelo? Yes, we would have to move some parts, but how about Pat Laine? Again, we would have to move some parts around, I'm just saying that it would be nice to have a game changer.  Maybe now, with a very qualified backup, Price can be that game changer again. We don't have any player that we can throw on the ice at critical times to be "that guy".  Some of your top teams have 3, 4 or more of these guys. So I guess I'm just stressing the Quality aspect of a player.

I think you always want to look at upgrading. That said, I don't think it makes much sense to add Pietrangelo to Weber and Petry on the right side. It means you're spending a lot of money on one position and can't address other areas of need. Notwithstanding the fact Pietrangelo is almost certainly going to Vegas, though, he would have been a smart add by Bergevin because he's a slightly younger replacement for Weber and it would permit you to deal Weber for help at LHD or wing, for example. If you could sign Pietrangelo for free (ie not needing to give away assets to do it) and then turn around and trade Weber for someone like Laine or Nylander or Byram or so on, you're a better team down the line.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I think you always want to look at upgrading. That said, I don't think it makes much sense to add Pietrangelo to Weber and Petry on the right side. It means you're spending a lot of money on one position and can't address other areas of need. Notwithstanding the fact Pietrangelo is almost certainly going to Vegas, though, he would have been a smart add by Bergevin because he's a slightly younger replacement for Weber and it would permit you to deal Weber for help at LHD or wing, for example. If you could sign Pietrangelo for free (ie not needing to give away assets to do it) and then turn around and trade Weber for someone like Laine or Nylander or Byram or so on, you're a better team down the line.

Exactly! You're understanding my full train of thought.  If we got Pieterangelo for just the contract (without giving up players) we can flip Weber, like you said, BigTed3. Now you have a younger #1 RD who is a character guy and you move an asset to get an asset. I'm not saying go after Pieterangelo, but go after Quality.  I like the way you think, BigTed3.

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If I'm throwing a UFA contract at someone...It would be: Evgeni Dadonov.

If he was our final pickup, I wouldn't be terribly upset, provided that the contract is reasonable. May have to make a further move to fit him in under the cap.

• H_T_L locked this topic