The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

I feel like there's a solid chance Bergevin trades up (or even down).  At 15 we likely get a guy who cant help us for at least 2 years.   If we trade up to get a guy who can step in now - or trade down for an asset as well as a longer-term project - that may make more sense.

I see that slightly different than you.  I think we could still have someone help us now at 15.  The guy I'm actually interested in at 15 is Brayden Tracey from the Moose Jaw Warriors.  I honestly think Caufield gets snatched up by Chicago at No. 3.  I also wouldn't mind an against the grain pick of maybe Spencer Knight at 15. 

13 hours ago, maas_art said:

This.    And honestly I dont think it matters how you make up your lines but a top 9 of  Domi, Duchene, Gallagher, JK, Drouin, Tatar, Shaw, Danault and Lekhonen would be formidable.   Any of those guys can match up against any line in the league.  Imagine trying to defend against Domi-Duchene-Gallagher?  or Tatar-Duchene-Shaw  

...and thats without even adding in Suzuki and/or Poehling.  

I definitely wouldnt trade some of our guys (like Domi or Gallagher or JK) for Duchene, but adding him for nothing? No brainer.  As long as the money & term make sense, i do it every single time.

The only reason I wouldnt add Duchene is if i can somehow get Panarin (who i think is an even better fit for our needs) to sign with us. 

I agree I would prefer Panarin but adding a top talent without giving up anything would be great. The only thing is the money and term would have to right. It's hard to not to have to over pay for a free agent , because top line talent doesn't come along that often. Of course it's also one of the reasons you end up paying more.

Report: Philadelphia Flyers Discussing Gostisbehere Trade With Montreal.

"Anthony Di Marco of The Fourth Period reports that the Flyers have discussed a potential deal with the Montreal Canadiens. 

According to the Fourth Period guys, Fletcher has looked at Andrew Shaw or Paul Byron as a possible return. 

While Gostisbehere had a significant drop in production last year, he also dealt with an injury he suffered in October that lingered all season."

34 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

"Anthony Di Marco of The Fourth Period reports that the Flyers have discussed a potential deal with the Montreal Canadiens. 

According to the Fourth Period guys, Fletcher has looked at Andrew Shaw or Paul Byron as a possible return. 

While Gostisbehere had a significant drop in production last year, he also dealt with an injury he suffered in October that lingered all season."

I'm good with either guy for a reasonable package for Gostisbehere

28 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ghost for Shaw definitely make that trade. the difference in salary still allows you to go after a big name FA if you wanted, and no one would be out of reach either not even Karlsson at 11 mil. Not saying I would pay Karlsson 11 Mil but would like to think if we could get him at 9-9.5 for 7 years and offer him a NMC as a bonus then yeah you take that and trade Petry or Weber for a Goal Scorer and Picks. Could you imagine if you traded Petry or Weber for Conner and Picks then lineup

Conner-Domi-Gallagher

Drouin-KK-Suzuki

Lehkonen-Danault-Tatar

Byron-Peohling-Armia

Ghost-Karlsson

Mete-Petry\Weber

Kulak-Juulsen

or any other of the possible combinations

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

Ghost for Shaw definitely make that trade. the difference in salary still allows you to go after a big name FA if you wanted, and no one would be out of reach either not even Karlsson at 11 mil. Not saying I would pay Karlsson 11 Mil but would like to think if we could get him at 9-9.5 for 7 years and offer him a NMC as a bonus then yeah you take that and trade Petry or Weber for a Goal Scorer and Picks. Could you imagine if you traded Petry or Weber for Conner and Picks then lineup

Conner-Domi-Gallagher

Drouin-KK-Suzuki

Lehkonen-Danault-Tatar

Byron-Peohling-Armia

Ghost-Karlsson

Mete-Petry\Weber

Kulak-Juulsen

or any other of the possible combinations

Even Byron for Ghost makes sense

?? - Domi - Gallagher

Drouin - KK - Suzuki

Tatar - Danault - Shaw/Armia

Lehkonen - Poehling - Shaw/Armia

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

I sure hope there's truth behind this.  Even if the deal doesnt get done it shows MB has actually identified the need and is looking at the right type of fix. 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I sure hope there's truth behind this.  Even if the deal doesnt get done it shows MB has actually identified the need and is looking at the right type of fix. 

Paul Byron or Andrew Shaw as the core component for Gostisbehere seems pretty friendly for us. Bergevin would have to jump all over that if there was any truth to it.

Just now, jennifer_rocket said:

Paul Byron or Andrew Shaw as the core component for Gostisbehere seems pretty friendly for us. Bergevin would have to jump all over that if there was any truth to it.

I would imagine there's a futures part too - either a prospect or a pick.  Assuming its not one of our top guys (Poehling, Suzuki, Brook etc) and not our 1st rounder this year, id do it. 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I would imagine there's a futures part too - either a prospect or a pick.  Assuming its not one of our top guys (Poehling, Suzuki, Brook etc) and not our 1st rounder this year, id do it. 

Evans maybe? I‘d rather keep Shaw than Byron though but I‘m guessing Shaw‘s trade value may be a little higher...

21 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Evans maybe? I‘d rather keep Shaw than Byron though but I‘m guessing Shaw‘s trade value may be a little higher...

You have to think Shaw > Byron on the trade market yeah.   Im guessing we might have to add a slightly higher prospect with Byron but as long as the price isnt too steep Id be down for it. 

You know what we are all doing again this summer right? Speculating, hoping and praying a good deal will come our way and Captain Letdown aka Bergevin will disappoint us again. I am guilty of getting worked up a little too, ughhh.

46 minutes ago, habby67 said:

You know what we are all doing again this summer right? Speculating, hoping and praying a good deal will come our way and Captain Letdown aka Bergevin will disappoint us again. I am guilty of getting worked up a little too, ughhh.

That's why this is the "Rumours" thread, to stimulate conversation from what we member hear or read. :)

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Most Flyers fans commenting on this seem pretty upset by the prospect of this type of trade, and Habs fans all seem excited, so yeah, this seems one-sided in our favor. We know Philly is considering trading him. We know it would make sense for us to look into him. But I figure we'd have to give up more.

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, there has to be something more to this. However, we also know Philly is interested in winning now. Most of the rumors about them are re: their trying to add experience on the back end, not about acquiring futures. They're even rumored to be shopping their first-round pick around as well. I think they might have interest in players like Weber, Petry, Shaw, Tatar, Gallagher, Danault, maybe Drouin...

Also rumors from Yvon Pedneault and others that teams are asking after Philip Danault. He says no indication the Habs have nay interest in trading him, but that teams like him and want to know about his availability. He suggested Edmonton might be one of the more interested teams, which is funny, because an Edmonton reporter also listed Danault as a guy who would be a great fit for Edmonton. Not a guy I'd be looking to trade, but clearly he has value on the market.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Also rumors from Yvon Pedneault and others that teams are asking after Philip Danault. He says no indication the Habs have nay interest in trading him, but that teams like him and want to know about his availability. He suggested Edmonton might be one of the more interested teams, which is funny, because an Edmonton reporter also listed Danault as a guy who would be a great fit for Edmonton. Not a guy I'd be looking to trade, but clearly he has value on the market.

Yeah i would not trade Dano he is not a flashy player but rock solid at what he does. once he is our 3rd line center we will be in very good shape.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Also rumors from Yvon Pedneault and others that teams are asking after Philip Danault. ...

Not a guy I'd be looking to trade, but clearly he has value on the market.

If the return was a quality LD  - and you could sign Duchene - would you do it?  You'd have Duchene, Domi, JK, Poehling & Thompson as your centres & and an upgrade at LD... 

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

If the return was a quality LD  - and you could sign Duchene - would you do it?  You'd have Duchene, Domi, JK, Poehling & Thompson as your centres & and an upgrade at LD... 

It's intriguing but I probably wouldn't do it. I think that Danault is criminally underrated and none of the other centers on the team can replace what he brings on the defensive side right now (not Domi's or Duchene's game, still too early for both Kotkaniemi and Poehling IMO). Knowing Julien, we'd probably see Thompson on one of the top lines in no time :P

I think Drouin is the guy we should be trying to move for a quality LD, it's the first time I can remember that we seem to have some real depth at center and I'm quite happy with that.

I'd trade Phillip Danault in a heartbeat for the right return. However, he brings a good deal to the table for $3.1 million cap hit.

The Gostisbehere rumors are interesting. However, yeah... I wonder what the ask would be. If it starts with Andrew Shaw, what else is required to make that deal happen? Especially since Gostisbehere seems to have a very friendly cap hit for the next four seasons.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The Gostisbehere rumors are interesting. However, yeah... I wonder what the ask would be. If it starts with Andrew Shaw, what else is required to make that deal happen? Especially since Gostisbehere seems to have a very friendly cap hit for the next four seasons.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/montreal-shouldnt-trade-andrew-shaw-unless-the-deal-is-right/ar-AACLzBc?li=AAggXBR

Shaw + Byron....

No idea who gets our shortys then tho LOL

12 minutes ago, Eyez said:

I love the title of Matla's article. Of course... You shouldn't trade anyone unless the "deal is right."

I have a hard time believing Bergevin would deal BOTH Shaw and Byron. I wonder if Shaw + prospect + pick would be enticing. Shaw + Romanov + 2nd rounder. Something like that. Maybe a swap of picks. Grab Philadelphia's 3rd or 4th rounder.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I love the title of Matla's article. Of course... You shouldn't trade anyone unless the "deal is right."

I have a hard time believing Bergevin would deal BOTH Shaw and Byron. I wonder if Shaw + prospect + pick would be enticing. Shaw + Romanov + 2nd rounder. Something like that. Maybe a swap of picks. Grab Philadelphia's 3rd or 4th rounder.

I would lose my mind if MB trade Romanov.  I'm tired of this team trading away promising young D-mean for 5th to 7th defenseman on anyone elses roster.