The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

57 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Pierre Lebrun reporting teams he believes are in on PLD include the Habs, Wpg, Cal, Ana, Ott, NYR, Buf, Phi, Was, Ari, Det, Min. So lots of teams, but how many of those fit the PLD request for being a big hockey city where PLD can get more attention? Montreal, NY Rangers, and maybe Philly or Washington. Maybe at this point PLD just wants to get out of Clb but how confident are you if you're Winnipeg or Ottawa or Arizona that PLD is going to want to re-sign in two years or if he's just going to hold out for a trade or try to sign a one-year deal or go after an offersheet? If you're one of those smaller-market teams that might have doubt about such a thing, are you really offering up a top package going back the other way? Would be a big risk. Maybe NYR build a trade around Kakko. There are rumors of a Laine for Dubois trade too. But I think the number of legitimate suitors for PLD who are going all in with a big package has to be under 5 teams.

Re: the bolded part, I dont think Kekäläinen cares one bit about where PLD is going to be happy but i agree its got to be a consideration for his future team - that said, a lot of GMs, if they can make the deal they want, think "I can make him want to stay over the next 2 years." 

And i agree, i would imagine only 4- 5 teams would have the assets and desire to make this deal happen.  Honestly at this moment, im not sure we are even on that list. Are we interested? Sure but not at "any cost."  This isnt 2016. We have a ton of quality and depth up front now. 

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Mathias Brunet of La Presse reports that Danault turned down a 6-year deal for 5M AAV this past summer. Brunet reports that this offer was made after the Petry contract was signed but before Gallagher was given an offer. He adds that Danault's team did not provide the Habs with a counter-offer. Sources also told Brunet that Danault was happier now that Anderson and Toffoli were added to play on other lines and that he was allowed to stay with Tatar and Gallagher. But it's a bit concerning that he's waiting this out and with the cap freeze, his expectations for a contract really can't be more than what we're paying Gallagher or Petry. If I were the Habs, I'd personally come back with an offer for 5 years at 5.5M per year.

Yeah that is a concern.  I would really love to know what MB is planning with Danault.  There's no question he's a great player and Julien obviously loves him, but with Suzuki, JK, Evans and even Poehling, do we need Danault at over $5m per?  Its good that MB started at that point, he clearly is looking at it in the right range. Its worrying that Danault's team didnt even counter.  Usually thats like "you're not even close" but maybe they just wanted to get part of this season under their belt first (like if they are banking on one of JK or Suzuki slumping, Danault's value to the team goes up). 

49 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I like Danault, a lot. And I defended him when he was ticked about being penciled in beneath KK after just a few decent games by KK. But honestly, the idea of him turning down 5$ x 6 is a little much. Highest I’d go is 4.5$

I’d agree with that valuation. Even though PD plays on a scoring line with Tuna and Gally, he’s more a shutdown Centre without much offense upside. The question I pose is who would you rather see in our long term lineup - PLD or PDanault? 
I can’t see Columbus trading PLD without getting a reasonably good Centre back. We could not do a $5m PLD for Danault trade $3.1 based on cap as we only have $700k of cap room. And Columbus has $1.7m of cap room. If Columbus kept $1.2 of first year salary then the trade would work with Habs giving any one or two of mete, Fleury, prospects, draft choices 

I’m just not convinced MB wants to destroy current team chemistry with a business deal like this. 
I don’t see Columbus taking Byron or Drouin as substitutes for Danault and I would not put KK or Suzuki in any trade for PLD 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Mathias Brunet of La Presse reports that Danault turned down a 6-year deal for 5M AAV this past summer. Brunet reports that this offer was made after the Petry contract was signed but before Gallagher was given an offer. He adds that Danault's team did not provide the Habs with a counter-offer. Sources also told Brunet that Danault was happier now that Anderson and Toffoli were added to play on other lines and that he was allowed to stay with Tatar and Gallagher. But it's a bit concerning that he's waiting this out and with the cap freeze, his expectations for a contract really can't be more than what we're paying Gallagher or Petry. If I were the Habs, I'd personally come back with an offer for 5 years at 5.5M per year.

Well this should make up Bergevin's mind. 6 year AAV 5M is more than what PD is worth to the HABS. Because he is UFA after this season, teams may be leery to trade for him. PD & JD plus pick to CBJ for PLD & low cost player, with  provisions, if PD does not resign. Remember,  Bergevin doesn't want anyone who thinks they're better than the team. PD was offered a very fair contract to stay home. Even though PD has some control over where he ends up next year, he won't get the salary he wants,  or quite possibly,  the team.

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I’d agree with that valuation. Even though PD plays on a scoring line with Tuna and Gally, he’s more a shutdown Centre without much offense upside. The question I pose is who would you rather see in our long term lineup - PLD or PDanault? 
I can’t see Columbus trading PLD without getting a reasonably good Centre back. We could not do a $5m PLD for Danault trade $3.1 based on cap as we only have $700k of cap room. And Columbus has $1.7m of cap room. If Columbus kept $1.2 of first year salary then the trade would work with Habs giving any one or two of mete, Fleury, prospects, draft choices 

I’m just not convinced MB wants to destroy current team chemistry with a business deal like this. 
I don’t see Columbus taking Byron or Drouin as substitutes for Danault and I would not put KK or Suzuki in any trade for PLD 

PLD over PD in a heartbeat. I was of the belief, that the HABS should resign PD. But, unfortunately,  not any more. Problem being, he is UFA after the year, so he could be just a rental. Maybe a sign and trade? He'd  probably want a NTC. further handcuffing Bergevin. I think Bergevin has to decide, if PD is going to be his own rental. Personally,  if it helps to get PLD, I  say package PD with conditions. 

It'll be difficult to fit him under the cap, but I don't think 5.5-6M per season on a 5-year deal is unreasonable for Danault. He'll get that on the open market and you're paying for UFA years, so he controls his own fate. I don't think you can go paying him in the 6's, but I'm not surprised he's holding out for more than 5M.

And FWIW, Dreger says a PLD trade is very close to happening...

2 hours ago, claremont said:

I think the idea of Danault + Poehling is a very interesting one. In Danault they get a good, prime age player who plays a very effective 2 way game.  In Poehling they get a gamble that he'll be better than he's shown the last year or so since falling from near the top of our prospect chart.  Obviously there would have to be more moving parts because of salary but its a solid starting point.  Unless Winnepeg offers Laine or something & then well, there's no beating that - at least, we shouldnt try to.

54 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Well this should make up Bergevin's mind. 6 year AAV 5M is more than what PD is worth to the HABS.

It may be more than what he should be worth to the team, but im not convinced its more than what Julien thinks he's worth.  I bet if you asked Julien to list the player he "trusts" the most under any circumstance, Danault is probably at the very top of that list. 

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

It'll be difficult to fit him under the cap, but I don't think 5.5-6M per season on a 5-year deal is unreasonable for Danault. He'll get that on the open market and you're paying for UFA years, so he controls his own fate. I don't think you can go paying him in the 6's, but I'm not surprised he's holding out for more than 5M.

Agree.  Open market he may even get more than $6.5m   I would be ok retaining him at $5m  - and probably could live with $6m but i also think that there's potentially other opportunities that could allow us to move on from PD. 

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Unless we absolutely fleece Columbus, I cant see us being in on it. 

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

before covid and the flat cap I bet Danault could have gotten 6.5 in the open market but I suspect he's going to be very disappointed if he goes UFA, he may not even get the 5 he's being offered. Look at how cheaply we got a guy like Toffoli 

Dreger says Clb has narrowed down its list and have told several teams they are out. He reports Winnipeg is still in. Lebrun adds Anaheim still trying to get in on a deal. Winnipeg offer believed to center around Laine +/- Roslovic, although they may be asking for more than Dubois back.

If you're the Habs, I think it's relatively clear you're not offering Suzuki and likely not Kotkaniemi or Romanov. Gallagher isn't going anywhere and Anderson and Toffoli just got here and are performing well. So we're looking at Tatar, Danault, or Drouin as any centerpiece to a trade. Doubt those options titillate Columbus much, unless Clb knows they can get Danault signed long-term. Have to feel like we're not a fit here.

I think MB will not get PLD, and MB will say that CBJ wanted too much from us, he likes our team as it is, he likes PLD, but the price was just too high, and I think most of us will be fine with all of that.  Sure would be fun to have PLD though!

Danault turning down 5m x 6 years tells me he won't be part of next year's team, and I suspect Tuna and Armia will be gone as well, freeing up 10.5m in cap.  I could see offering Danault 5.5m x 6 years, similar payout to Drouin and Anderson, but any more than that, and its been nice knowing you.

Edited by Windoe
4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If you're the Habs, I think it's relatively clear you're not offering Suzuki and likely not Kotkaniemi or Romanov. Gallagher isn't going anywhere and Anderson and Toffoli just got here and are performing well. So we're looking at Tatar, Danault, or Drouin as any centerpiece to a trade. Doubt those options titillate Columbus much, unless Clb knows they can get Danault signed long-term. Have to feel like we're not a fit here.

I feel the same ...I think we're out of it except for the fact Bergevin likes a splashy trade and is somewhat unpredictable ...we'll know by the weekend ...

8 hours ago, Windoe said:

I think MB will not get PLD, and MB will say that CBJ wanted too much from us, he likes our team as it is, he likes PLD, but the price was just too high, and I think most of us will be fine with all of that.  Sure would be fun to have PLD though!

Danault turning down 5m x 6 years tells me he won't be part of next year's team, and I suspect Tuna and Armia will be gone as well, freeing up 10.5m in cap.  I could see offering Danault 5.5m x 6 years, similar payout to Drouin and Anderson, but any more than that, and its been nice knowing you.

I agree with this prediction except I believe Tuna will stay assuming a good season this year, and take perhaps a bit of a discount for term. He’s found chemistry here, likes the city and hasn’t adjusted well in other places he’s played. 

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, a trade call is being set up between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Winnipeg Jets to complete a trade sending Pierre-Luc Dubois plus a 3rd to Winnipeg in exchange for Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic.

No way we could have or should have matched an offer like that. I think CJB got a hell of a return.

12 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, a trade call is being set up between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Winnipeg Jets to complete a trade sending Pierre-Luc Dubois plus a 3rd to Winnipeg in exchange for Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic.

No way we could have or should have matched an offer like that. I think CJB got a hell of a return.

I think Clb won the trade. Laine > Dubois.

59 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

yes but i think they both sort of won given that they both seemed to have to move the players. The interesting thing now is will Laine be happy in Columbus and Dubois happy in Winnipeg? 

59 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Tortorella is going to love Laine :4224:

I can't wait to see this!

Not totally inconceivable that they‘ll both walk once their current deals are up, if the reports about them preferring to play in bigger markets are accurate.

54 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Not totally inconceivable that they‘ll both walk once their current deals are up, if the reports about them preferring to play in bigger markets are accurate.

Yep i think in the long run they will both leave.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I’m happy MB stood pat on this one and agree with you and giving up a draft choice for Roslovic with jets retaining some Laine salary. I hope it bodes well for MTL vs PEG games. Laine is a game changer when he’s on the PP - PLD not so much. 

Perhaps a bit of a forward looking salary dump for Winnipeg but in the end I really don't see any winners here although Columbus will enjoy this for a while. Winnipeg appears to have overpaid but they do get Dubois for the extra year. I am not sure Dubois will stay one day longer in Winnipeg than he has to and Bergevin's best move may be to wait for  a more Hab friendly deal down the road when the Jets figure out he doesn't want to play there either (especially if he continues to pout and play like he has at the start here). Columbus GM Dr. K has given himself a great shot at signing a fellow Finn, but Laine may have other plans. Ironically this may also be a move that ends up seeing Torts removed because I am sure he will not be able to bench Laine the same way that he treated Dubois. If Columbus struggles after this deal Torts may be the one on the bench. There is a bit of a lesson here for disgruntled top picks and that is be careful what you wish for because it is not a sure thing that you will end up in a better place.

Seeing the return Im very glad we didnt acquire Dubois. It would have at very least cost us JK  and possibly Suzuki.   While i would have loved to have had Suzuki, JK AND Dubois (if we could have centred a deal around Drouin or Danault), im more than happy to keep what we've got rather than lose one of those 2 guys.