The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

I have not found a "legit" source so take this with a grain of salt, but according to a few 'sources' (other boards/sites) MB is working the phones trying to land a puck moving LHD to play with Weber.

The ask seems to include our 1st this year which... honestly, if you're going to do it, this is probably the best possible year to give up a 1st. The draft rankings are ALL over the place with Covid - guys who maybe would go top 10 in a normal year may get overlooked in the 1st round entirely this year. 

Im not sure who we would be targeting but i cant think many guys out there would be much worse than Chairot on the top pair right now. 

2 hours ago, claremont said:

I had heard he was also demeaning to D'Andre Miller before this. I guess Deangelo will get the Ted Nolan treatment for a while until he becomes contrite and has a major attitude adjustment  - We could not have picked him up on waivers since it means immediately adding him to the roster and we had no cap room. A lot of due diligence required but someone may take the risk. Heck if the great Tiger Woods can be forgiven by his fan base for cheating on his expectant wife, then anything is possible in this age of forgiveness. Perhaps this happens in the off season for much lesser value. Guaranteed Rangers are not protecting him in the Expansion Draft so he will go for bargain basement value, or the Krakken should at least pick him up for trade value. 

I dunno man. There's moody and then there's Dangelo. lol.

25 year old defensman who has 106 points in 206 games (including 53 in 68 games last year!) - he was 12th in Norris voting... and NY is ready to walk away from him.  That makes guys like Ribeiro, Avery or Bryzgalov look like model teammates!

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I have not found a "legit" source so take this with a grain of salt, but according to a few 'sources' (other boards/sites) MB is working the phones trying to land a puck moving LHD to play with Weber.

The ask seems to include our 1st this year which... honestly, if you're going to do it, this is probably the best possible year to give up a 1st. The draft rankings are ALL over the place with Covid - guys who maybe would go top 10 in a normal year may get overlooked in the 1st round entirely this year. 

Im not sure who we would be targeting but i cant think many guys out there would be much worse than Chairot on the top pair right now. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/mattias-ekholm-understands-value-trade-piece-predators/

43 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Hearing who is out there and available, though, I worry MB will spend assets on a player who won't actually help much... he'll go after an Ekholm or Hjalmarrson or Goligoski or Edler or Keith or so on, an older player who might have issues with footspeed or keeping up with big minutes or so on. I don't think there are many guys out there who make sense for us. I listed a few in another thread, with Vince Dunn being the guy who fits the best but also considering the likes of Kulikov or Montour, for example. Past that, it might need to be a player no one has really considered. Carolina, for example, has a wealth of D men and I've said this before, but I would love to see MB go after a guy like Jake Bean. Carolina thinks they can win now, so a player like Danault or Tatar could be a good fit for them as a return.

As for the draft rankings, I guess you would see that both ways. On the one hand, you could argue what you did, that a guy who ordinarily might have gone in the 1st could slip to the 2nd. On the other, you could argue you might get a guy later in the 1st who otherwise could have gone in the top 10 if they had played more through the past year. So a mid-to-late 1st rounder could be a stronger pick as much as it could be a weaker one. To boot, it might be that teams' draft boards vary more greatly and on draft day, you might get to pick 20 and have a team willing to trade a ton right then and there because a player they ranked in the top 10 is still sitting there. All that to say, that I'm fine with MB dealing his 1st but not for an older player or rental. It has to be for a player who is under 28 and who's signed to some term. Factoring in the 14-day quarantine, it's not worth giving up a 1st for an expiring contract who plays a handful of games for us.

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Hopefully it will be for a player good enough that we will have to protect in the entry draft.  If Chiarot broke his hand, the urgency may be sooner because of the 14 day quaratine.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Hearing who is out there and available, though, I worry MB will spend assets on a player who won't actually help much... he'll go after an Ekholm or Hjalmarrson or Goligoski or Edler or Keith or so on, an older player who might have issues with footspeed or keeping up with big minutes or so on. I don't think there are many guys out there who make sense for us. I listed a few in another thread, with Vince Dunn being the guy who fits the best but also considering the likes of Kulikov or Montour, for example. Past that, it might need to be a player no one has really considered. Carolina, for example, has a wealth of D men and I've said this before, but I would love to see MB go after a guy like Jake Bean. Carolina thinks they can win now, so a player like Danault or Tatar could be a good fit for them as a return.

As for the draft rankings, I guess you would see that both ways. On the one hand, you could argue what you did, that a guy who ordinarily might have gone in the 1st could slip to the 2nd. On the other, you could argue you might get a guy later in the 1st who otherwise could have gone in the top 10 if they had played more through the past year. So a mid-to-late 1st rounder could be a stronger pick as much as it could be a weaker one. To boot, it might be that teams' draft boards vary more greatly and on draft day, you might get to pick 20 and have a team willing to trade a ton right then and there because a player they ranked in the top 10 is still sitting there. All that to say, that I'm fine with MB dealing his 1st but not for an older player or rental. It has to be for a player who is under 28 and who's signed to some term. Factoring in the 14-day quarantine, it's not worth giving up a 1st for an expiring contract who plays a handful of games for us.

I don't have that sense of urgency at this time. Makes sense for us to stay the course and potentially be sellers for this year and I really like the Jake Bean angle. MB is in an awkward messaging spot for our playoff chances. If he makes no move, does he send a message to the team/coaches that he believes in them, or the message that he feels they have peaked and anything he does is not going to push them over the top further?  Alternatively, if we are sellers, is he sending the message that we are simply on a mini-rebuild treadmill and simply making the playoffs was an acceptable outcome?

Carolina has an interesting dilemma with a plethora of defensemen and they may just hold back Jake Bean so that he does not have the qualifying games for the expansion draft, much like I think we are doing with Cale Fleury. Carolina is quite strong on the LWing side - so a depth centre piece like Danault makes more sense to me vs. Tatar but it exposes us down the middle as it would not appear we have much centre depth to backfill Phil for the playoff round, although I like Evans recent ascension. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I don't have that sense of urgency at this time. Makes sense for us to stay the course and potentially be sellers for this year and I really like the Jake Bean angle. MB is in an awkward messaging spot for our playoff chances. If he makes no move, does he send a message to the team/coaches that he believes in them, or the message that he feels they have peaked and anything he does is not going to push them over the top further?  Alternatively, if we are sellers, is he sending the message that we are simply on a mini-rebuild treadmill and simply making the playoffs was an acceptable outcome?

Carolina has an interesting dilemma with a plethora of defensemen and they may just hold back Jake Bean so that he does not have the qualifying games for the expansion draft, much like I think we are doing with Cale Fleury. Carolina is quite strong on the LWing side - so a depth centre piece like Danault makes more sense to me vs. Tatar but it exposes us down the middle as it would not appear we have much centre depth to backfill Phil for the playoff round, although I like Evans recent ascension. 

I really don't see us being sellers. For on I think we'll be in the playoffs and probably 2 or 3 seed. I don't see MB selling given his philosophy. Its either stay pat or buy. I'd like Ekholm myself 

47 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I really don't see us being sellers. For on I think we'll be in the playoffs and probably 2 or 3 seed. I don't see MB selling given his philosophy. Its either stay pat or buy. I'd like Ekholm myself 

I wouldn't hate Ekholm but a cheaper option for us might be Keith. I know he is 36 and signed for 3 more years but his play in the last playoffs showed he still has decent speed and skill and next to Weber on a second pairing we would be stacked while guys like Norlinder and Guhle develop more. Then we could always buy out his last year or two if need be.

12 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I wouldn't hate Ekholm but a cheaper option for us might be Keith. I know he is 36 and signed for 3 more years but his play in the last playoffs showed he still has decent speed and skill and next to Weber on a second pairing we would be stacked while guys like Norlinder and Guhle develop more. Then we could always buy out his last year or two if need be.

Chicago is in a playoff spot they may not want to part with Keith. He still logs a lot of minutes and after Keith their blue line is pretty weak.

8 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Chicago is in a playoff spot they may not want to part with Keith. He still logs a lot of minutes and after Keith their blue line is pretty weak.

Yeah I figured that too but was thinking something like Danault for Keith, then trading for Staal to fill the 3C or 4C hole, Obviously we would have to move additional money or have them retain but it was just a base. Danault would easily be their 1 or 2 C

Has anyone heard any buzz around Getzlaf? Is that a guy Ducks would be looking to move? What would the cost be? He definitely doesn’t look like the player he once was, but he still looks like he has a lot to offer, and his particular skill set might compliment us well. Danault + ??? (with salary retained)..?

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Has anyone heard any buzz around Getzlaf? Is that a guy Ducks would be looking to move? What would the cost be? He definitely doesn’t look like the player he once was, but he still looks like he has a lot to offer, and his particular skill set might compliment us well. Danault + ??? (with salary retained)..?

36 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Getzlaf is 35 yrs old .  I wouldn’t give up any players for him 

He also has a NMC and has indicated he prefers to stay in Anaheim. And even if he could be swayed to move, his cap hit is 8.25M, so Anaheim would have to retain the full 50% and take back salary, as you said. Doesn't seem like it's worth it, and he's a one-year bandaid, not a solution. IMO, Danault is more valuable to us than Getzlaf. I think if anything, MB is going to try and add a veteran 4th line center to take draws.

2 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Just what we need, Getzlaf and Perry on the ice at the same time as Weber and Chiarot.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

He also has a NMC and has indicated he prefers to stay in Anaheim. And even if he could be swayed to move, his cap hit is 8.25M, so Anaheim would have to retain the full 50% and take back salary, as you said. Doesn't seem like it's worth it, and he's a one-year bandaid, not a solution. IMO, Danault is more valuable to us than Getzlaf. I think if anything, MB is going to try and add a veteran 4th line center to take draws.

The Ducks have also reportedly said they are not interested in moving Getzlaf unless he requests a trade. Which as you stated above he has no interest in doing

4 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

so the short answer is no he is not a guy they would be willing to move.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Getzlaf, 50% retained, for Byron & a 3rd. We can use his face-off experience. 

36 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Getzlaf, 50% retained, for Byron & a 3rd. We can use his face-off experience. 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

why would the Ducks have any interest in this though?

Getzlaf is making good money to play out his career. He's in a city he likes and has children. And he's already won a Cup. I could see a player who has never won maybe considering going to a true contender to try and win one before retirement, but the drive to win would really have to be high to move your family (especially to a new country and during COVID) for one maybe two years before you retire. And if he was going to move to try and win a Cup, hard to believe Montreal as a middle-of-the-pack team in a terrible division would be his top choice... I think at this point, he's been pretty clear that he wants to stay where he is, and I think it would take a real opportunity to win a Cup to make him change his mind, if even that were enough.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Getzlaf is making good money to play out his career. He's in a city he likes and has children. And he's already won a Cup. I could see a player who has never won maybe considering going to a true contender to try and win one before retirement, but the drive to win would really have to be high to move your family (especially to a new country and during COVID) for one maybe two years before you retire. And if he was going to move to try and win a Cup, hard to believe Montreal as a middle-of-the-pack team in a terrible division would be his top choice... I think at this point, he's been pretty clear that he wants to stay where he is, and I think it would take a real opportunity to win a Cup to make him change his mind, if even that were enough.

I guess ultimately,  it's up to the player. He wouldn't uproot his family,  just for a few games at the end of the season,  and probably,  a short playoff run. Plus, he's a buddy of Corey Perry. Hard to say.  Maybe it never happens,  for all the reasons you mention,  But if it was a possibility,  do you do it? I would. And Byron wouldn't hurt the Ducks. And, after this year,  both are off the books, assuming Getzlaf is UFA at the end of this year. 

Looking for some opinions, we know both Ekholm and Strome are available. We also know Danault wants 1C time and money my proposal is we trade Danault + 3rd to Chicago for Strome + Regula + Reichel then trade Mete + Lehkonen + 1st (we could add one of Struble or Harris if we had to) for Ekholm. Would you make those trades and would the Preds and Hawks be interested? The cap actually works and we keep Chiarot for the third pairing.

Our lineup would be

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Tatar-Strome-Armia

Byron-Evans-Perry

Edmundson-Petry

Ekholm-Weber

Chiarot-Romanov

Kulak

Price

Allen

10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Looking for some opinions, we know both Ekholm and Strome are available. We also know Danault wants 1C time and money my proposal is we trade Danault + 3rd to Chicago for Strome + Regula + Reichel then trade Mete + Lehkonen + 1st (we could add one of Struble or Harris if we had to) for Ekholm. Would you make those trades and would the Preds and Hawks be interested? The cap actually works and we keep Chiarot for the third pairing.

Our lineup would be

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Tatar-Strome-Armia

Byron-Evans-Perry

Edmundson-Petry

Ekholm-Weber

Chiarot-Romanov

Kulak

Price

Allen

I am not so high on Strome, and I don't see the hawks having much value interest in Danault who is unsigned. From Chicago's perspective that is just too one sided in the Habs favour. For the other, if  the cap works with the prorating - I would move Mete Lehkonen and a first / second for Ekholm. It does expose us more on the D for some unprotected players in the Krakken draft, but in my cap friendly Mock's I believe Jake Allen is the best value for the money for a Seattle claim with the goalies left unprotected. I would not wish to trade Struble or Harris who show some upside based on their NCAA achievements. 

From the 4th period:

"The Canadiens are believed to be one of the teams interested in Nashville Predators defenceman Mattias Ekholm, and that interest started well before Ben Chiarot injured himself in a fight on Wednesday night.

Ekholm, 30, is in the fifth year of a six-year, $22.5 million contract. He does not own any no-trade protection and his $3.75 million AAV is appealing to a number of clubs, including the Canadiens, who have limited salary cap flexibility.

In 19 games with the Predators so far this season, Ekholm has picked up four goals and five assists for nine points." 

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

From the 4th period:

"The Canadiens are believed to be one of the teams interested in Nashville Predators defenceman Mattias Ekholm, and that interest started well before Ben Chiarot injured himself in a fight on Wednesday night.

Ekholm, 30, is in the fifth year of a six-year, $22.5 million contract. He does not own any no-trade protection and his $3.75 million AAV is appealing to a number of clubs, including the Canadiens, who have limited salary cap flexibility.

In 19 games with the Predators so far this season, Ekholm has picked up four goals and five assists for nine points." 

Sounds a little more promising than Jake Gardner who was just placed on waivers by Carolina to move to taxi squad, and likely promote Jake Bean. Thank Gawd, he spurned us and rejected MB's overtures. Nobody is touching that contract of $4.05M for this year and the next 2. Of course Jake has a 7 team NTC and would reject us again :5187:

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I am not so high on Strome, and I don't see the hawks having much value interest in Danault who is unsigned. From Chicago's perspective that is just too one sided in the Habs favour. For the other, if  the cap works with the prorating - I would move Mete Lehkonen and a first / second for Ekholm. It does expose us more on the D for some unprotected players in the Krakken draft, but in my cap friendly Mock's I believe Jake Allen is the best value for the money for a Seattle claim with the goalies left unprotected. I would not wish to trade Struble or Harris who show some upside based on their NCAA achievements. 

Danault would be their 2nd best center when Toews or Dach returns until then he would be their top guy. Strome would fill our 3 center hole and if he ever breaks out he would be great

• H_T_L locked this topic