Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

There is always more value in getting production from one player than having spread out. Crosby doesn't replace the 3 players, Crosby + 2 other players, whoever they may be, replaces the 3 players. Second, I'm as excited as anyone about our prospects, but MANY prospects don't pan out. All one has to do is look at all the 1st round complete failures Montreal has had recently to know that. 

We would definitely need to clear cap space so whether we traded Allen and a starting D man or Danault or Armia and some youth this deal would require some moving parts and do to the diminishing return on Crosby as he ages I am not sure it would be worth disrepair it would cause to our current line-up

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

There is always more value in getting production from one player than having spread out. Crosby doesn't replace the 3 players, Crosby + 2 other players, whoever they may be, replaces the 3 players. Second, I'm as excited as anyone about our prospects, but MANY prospects don't pan out. All one has to do is look at all the 1st round complete failures Montreal has had recently to know that. 

KK has already proven he is an NHL calibre player, Caufield has proved everyone wrong every step of his career and somehow people  still doubt the guy leading the entire NCAA in both goals and points. Guhle is the only one of the three that there should still be questioned at this point as the other two are not long shots anymore. With every passing game they look more and more legit. Also there is no way we could do Crosby for just those three as we would have to clear 8.5 Mil off the roster as well so now you are talking maybe a package of Danault + Armia + Edmundson + KK + Caufield + Guhle + whatever else you want to include. Thanks but no thanks to that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

We would definitely need to clear cap space so whether we traded Allen and a starting D man or Danault or Armia and some youth this deal would require some moving parts and do to the diminishing return on Crosby as he ages I am not sure it would be worth disrepair it would cause to our current line-up

Since Crosby would only waive for Montreal our offer can be whatever we feel comfortable with we would be in the driver's seat in this trade. We would have to clear cap so the Pens would have to take 2 or 3 of Danault, Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Edmundson, Chiarot or Kulak. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Since Crosby would only waive for Montreal our offer can be whatever we feel comfortable with we would be in the driver's seat in this trade. We would have to clear cap so the Pens would have to take 2 or 3 of Danault, Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Edmundson, Chiarot or Kulak. 

And possibly retain salary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Since Crosby would only waive for Montreal our offer can be whatever we feel comfortable with we would be in the driver's seat in this trade. We would have to clear cap so the Pens would have to take 2 or 3 of Danault, Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Edmundson, Chiarot or Kulak. 

this trade is unlikely to happen but if it did they would have to retain salary

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drouin, Danault & a first or/+ Mete, for Crosby. I wouldn't do anymore for a depreciating asset. Yes, Crosby could help us now, but I wouldn't mortgage our future, which we have so painstakingly waited for. And, as claremont very astutely mentioned, " Sid is 1-2 concussions from the end of his career. "  Pittsburg could always afford to play without Crosby for long stretches, because they had Malkin.  Just like they could always play long stretches without Malkin, because they had Crosby. What if Crosby gets hurt with us? Are we going to be able to play without him for long stretches? compounded by the fact people want to give up the farm. That would set us back years again. And, as habsisme mentions, Pittsburg " seems like a sinking ship. "     So, if Pittsburg is going to do a reset or a rebuild, they can take what Bergevin offers, because Crosby will not go anywhere else and if Pittsburg feels that's not enough, then they can keep on sinking.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Drouin, Danault & a first or/+ Mete, for Crosby. I wouldn't do anymore for a depreciating asset. Yes, Crosby could help us now, but I wouldn't mortgage our future, which we have so painstakingly waited for. And, as claremont very astutely mentioned, " Sid is 1-2 concussions from the end of his career. "  Pittsburg could always afford to play without Crosby for long stretches, because they had Malkin.  Just like they could always play long stretches without Malkin, because they had Crosby. What if Crosby gets hurt with us? Are we going to be able to play without him for long stretches? compounded by the fact people want to give up the farm. That would set us back years again. And, as habsisme mentions, Pittsburg " seems like a sinking ship. "     So, if Pittsburg is going to do a reset or a rebuild, they can take what Bergevin offers, because Crosby will not go anywhere else and if Pittsburg feels that's not enough, then they can keep on sinking.     

Exactly

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

https://www.gohabsgo.com/articles/sidney-crosby-to-the-montreal-canadiens/?fbclid=IwAR3a3NZKr640-iKdOg0A_GdD4IQZSoo8LmAzgvSRZMvNflkSsOIRxSXvb50

Would you do this trade?

Crosby for:

Philip Danault, Victor Mete, and a first round pick

Optional: throw in or replace someone with Drouin

imho, if (and thats a big if) Pittsburgh was considering trading crosby i think you'd have to include either JK or Suzuki.  I realize Danault is a fair bit younger than Sid but even then you're giving up probably 4-5 more elite (or close to elite at the end) under-contract years.  Thats not replaceable by an excellent 2 way centre, a young dman and a pick.

My guess if you wanted Crosby and Pittsburgh could get over the idea of him not retiring a Pen, then the deal would have to be something like this:

JK, Tatar, Mete, Edmundson, 1st, Prospect

for 

Crosby

I just dont see any way it doesnt gut our team and for that reason I wouldnt make any trade for Sid

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget the Cosby rumours, Pittsburg has as much chance for the cup as the habs. 

I do like the rumours though .. Mete for Jake Virtanen

We would be pretty nasty on the right side, Anderson one shift, Gallager the next and Virtanen next. I would love it. Plus all 3 have the potential for 25 to 35 goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Forget the Cosby rumours, Pittsburg has as much chance for the cup as the habs. 

I do like the rumours though .. Mete for Jake Virtanen

We would be pretty nasty on the right side, Anderson one shift, Gallager the next and Virtanen next. I would love it. Plus all 3 have the potential for 25 to 35 goals.

You'd have to add to that a fair bit to get Virtanen I think.  Salary wise they are quite a bit different too.   Would be a great add but I dont know what else they'd want in addition to Mete. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maas_art said:

imho, if (and thats a big if) Pittsburgh was considering trading crosby i think you'd have to include either JK or Suzuki.  I realize Danault is a fair bit younger than Sid but even then you're giving up probably 4-5 more elite (or close to elite at the end) under-contract years.  Thats not replaceable by an excellent 2 way centre, a young dman and a pick.

My guess if you wanted Crosby and Pittsburgh could get over the idea of him not retiring a Pen, then the deal would have to be something like this:

JK, Tatar, Mete, Edmundson, 1st, Prospect

for 

Crosby

I just dont see any way it doesnt gut our team and for that reason I wouldnt make any trade for Sid

Then we don't do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You'd have to add to that a fair bit to get Virtanen I think.  Salary wise they are quite a bit different too.   Would be a great add but I dont know what else they'd want in addition to Mete. 

Just for salary alone, we would have to add. Virtanen has one foot out the door. Mete is plenty enough. Couver would have to retain the difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, electron58 said:

Drouin, Danault & a first or/+ Mete, for Crosby. I wouldn't do anymore for a depreciating asset. Yes, Crosby could help us now, but I wouldn't mortgage our future, which we have so painstakingly waited for. And, as claremont very astutely mentioned, " Sid is 1-2 concussions from the end of his career. "  Pittsburg could always afford to play without Crosby for long stretches, because they had Malkin.  Just like they could always play long stretches without Malkin, because they had Crosby. What if Crosby gets hurt with us? Are we going to be able to play without him for long stretches? compounded by the fact people want to give up the farm. That would set us back years again. And, as habsisme mentions, Pittsburg " seems like a sinking ship. "     So, if Pittsburg is going to do a reset or a rebuild, they can take what Bergevin offers, because Crosby will not go anywhere else and if Pittsburg feels that's not enough, then they can keep on sinking.     

And everyone knows it's open season for head shots on Hab's players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't provide a source, I read this somewhere else. 

"**BREAKING**
the agents of Frolik, Fleury and Poehling have confirmed they think it would be in the best interest of both parties for Habs to trade the players to another team. .."

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I can't provide a source, I read this somewhere else. 

"**BREAKING**
the agents of Frolik, Fleury and Poehling have confirmed they think it would be in the best interest of both parties for Habs to trade the players to another team. .."

Frolik just went through waivers, nobody took him! Already I have doubts about whoever is saying this

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

I can't provide a source, I read this somewhere else. 

"**BREAKING**
the agents of Frolik, Fleury and Poehling have confirmed they think it would be in the best interest of both parties for Habs to trade the players to another team. .."

Bogus. Starting to wonder if TSN story is bogus. Slow news day(s) for TSN?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

There sure does seem to be some movement brewing in the league Sam Bennett pulled from the lineup lots of folks looking to get traded. if this was a normal season it may be busy but with covid there are some extra hurdles!

Bennet is an intresting player because, judging from his stats alone, he seems to play really well in the playoffs. 

I don't see a fit here, we're crowded already as it is and in cap hell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 6:43 PM, habsisme said:

Bennet is an intresting player because, judging from his stats alone, he seems to play really well in the playoffs. 

I don't see a fit here, we're crowded already as it is and in cap hell. 

After Danualt turning down a good deal, How about sending him to Calgary for Bennet, he is 3 years younger, RFA year end, more control over the contract. I think he could seamlessly slot in between Gallagher and Tatar and we would not miss a beat. Actually, in the long run  could even make us better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

After Danualt turning down a good deal, How about sending him to Calgary for Bennet, he is 3 years younger, RFA year end, more control over the contract. I think he could seamlessly slot in between Gallagher and Tatar and we would not miss a beat. Actually, in the long run  could even make us better. 

I'm listening..........

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bennet has one assist in 9 games and is -5 averaging about 12 minutes a game before being scratched. Not sure he brings more to the table then a guy like Poehling would. Might be worth a gamble but IMO Calgary gets the better player by far,,, but Dano being a UFA really lowers his value, unless it's a trade and sign. Dano is obviously slumping right now with his offence but we've seen that before. We'd be trading low for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, caperns61 said:

After Danualt turning down a good deal, How about sending him to Calgary for Bennet, he is 3 years younger, RFA year end, more control over the contract. I think he could seamlessly slot in between Gallagher and Tatar and we would not miss a beat. Actually, in the long run  could even make us better. 

 

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Bennet has one assist in 9 games and is -5 averaging about 12 minutes a game before being scratched. Not sure he brings more to the table then a guy like Poehling would. Might be worth a gamble but IMO Calgary gets the better player by far,,, but Dano being a UFA really lowers his value, unless it's a trade and sign. Dano is obviously slumping right now with his offence but we've seen that before. We'd be trading low for sure.

I wouldn't make this deal and here's why: even if you don't plan on keeping Danault, his value as a trade deadline deal or a deal for futures would be exceedingly higher than Bennett's. Look at comparables for Danault... last year, Jean-Gabriel Pageau was a 27 year-old impending UFA center and he was dealt for a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, and a conditional 3rd rounder. Danault is a better player than Pageau, much higher-regarded for his defensive work and with several seasons of higher point totals than Pageau's one good year. Two years ago, Kevin Hayes was an impending UFA center with comparable point totals to Danault, with better size but again not as good defensively... traded for prospect Brendan Lemieux, a 1st rounder, and a conditional 4th rounder. In 2018, Paul Stastny as a 32 year-old impending UFA center got dealt for a 1st rounder and a prospect. In 2017, Minnesota acquired two-way center Martin Hanzal for essentially what amounted to a 1st and a 2nd.

Using those as general comparables and with the thought that Danault is probably better than all those guys I listed there, the price tag for Danault probably starts at a 1st rounder and a blue chip prospect or a 1st, a 2nd, and another asset. Ask yourself whether you would make that deal for Bennett. Would you trade a 1st rounder alone for Bennett? I wouldn't. I would consider giving up a 3rd rounder for Bennett if we were going to deal in picks. Sure, he came into the league with a strong pedigree, but he's been in the league 7 years and he's never put it all together. Look at other forwards from his draft year with similar career point totals to him and ask yourself if you'd give up a 1st rounder for any of those guys either... Jake Virtanen, Nick Ritchie, Kevin Fiala, Jakub Vrana, Robby Fabbri, Jared McCann, Adrian Kempe, Nick Schmaltz. Those were all 1st rounders in 2014 like Bennett and while many of them are decent NHLer's, there isn't a guy in there that I would deal a 1st rounder for. There isn't a guy in there that I would deal Danault for straight up.

In Bennett's case, he's an impending RFA, but he's likely going to be paid something in the range of 3-3.5M on a short-term deal that takes him to unrestricted status. Is that any better than just paying Danault 5-5.5M? If you want to look at acquiring Bennett, then make a separate deal for him and give up a late 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder to get him, then deal Danault as a deadline asset for a 1st and a 2nd, for example. The net there is a 1st rounder. If Calgary wants to include their 1st rounder with Bennett to acquire Danault, so be it. I don't see why they would do that when they're not going anywhere this year, but if they're not giving us something equivalent, I don't see why we would trade for the vastly inferior player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Bennet has one assist in 9 games and is -5 averaging about 12 minutes a game before being scratched. Not sure he brings more to the table then a guy like Poehling would. Might be worth a gamble but IMO Calgary gets the better player by far,,, but Dano being a UFA really lowers his value, unless it's a trade and sign. Dano is obviously slumping right now with his offence but we've seen that before. We'd be trading low for sure.

I dont see them getting the better player by far, they would be getting the better player on paper, 5 assits in 12 games, Bennet is 1 and 1 through 10 games,   if you look at the team plus minus our team has been much much better then Calgary this season so  I would expect a much better plus minus, and dont forget Danualt is arguably playing with the two best wingers we have on our team. I dont see any wingers in Calgary who play as hard as Gallagher and Tatar. 

You add the fact Bennet is an RFA not UFA we have someone up the middle, who will cost you around 3 milllion NOT 5.5 to 6 million to keep. And you will not be forced to see Danualt start the overtime, and get more shifts in overtime, when you have players like Suzki, Anderson, Toffoli, Gallagher, KK.

Bennett has a really good skill set, is 3 years younger than Danault, still has the potential to be a top flight center. It is a risk somewhat. Worst case scenario we have a controllable contract who is NHL player who can slot in at the number 3 spot right now, and i dont think that line would suffer, i actually believe it would become a better line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...