The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

Especially if Drouin doesn't come back and its probably a given we don't sign Tatar, I would really be looking hard at Taylor hall

Taylor Hall is not a playoff performer. Any freed up cap space is better spent on PMD like Dougie Hamilton.

13 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah im not a big fan of Hall tbh and I dont actually think he's what this team needs anyway.  

Not a fan either but it depends on what's going on with Drouin though, replacing him or Tatar (or both?) with Hall could work. It definitely shouldn't be a priority and money will be an issue, plus I don't think he'll want to come here anyway.

If we're going to talk about which UFA's would have the biggest impact here, Hall isn't even top 5. Forgetting what contracts they're going to ask for, if you could sign a UFA and just talk about what they add to our roster, the best fits IMO would be

1. Dougie Hamilton (we sorely need D men who can contribute to the offence)

2. Alex Ovechkin (yeah, he likely doesn't leave Washington but you never know... plus maybe Markov puts in a good word for us or maybe he puts in a bad word about MB)

3. Gabriel Landeskog (top-line player at LW, where we are weak)

4. RNH (possible replacement for Danault if he walks and one with more offensive upside)

5. Brandon Saad (don't discount the Chicago connection to MB)

Other guys to consider... Alex Wennberg as a potential 3rd-line center and Alec Martinez at left D even if he's a bit older....

Personally my targets would be Landeskog and Matinez, both would be nice fits in MTL.  RNH would be a hard pass for me, plays too soft of a game IMO

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

If we're going to talk about which UFA's would have the biggest impact here, Hall isn't even top 5. Forgetting what contracts they're going to ask for, if you could sign a UFA and just talk about what they add to our roster, the best fits IMO would be

1. Dougie Hamilton (we sorely need D men who can contribute to the offence)

2. Alex Ovechkin (yeah, he likely doesn't leave Washington but you never know... plus maybe Markov puts in a good word for us or maybe he puts in a bad word about MB)

3. Gabriel Landeskog (top-line player at LW, where w are weak)

4. RNH (possible replacement for Danault if he walks and one with more offensive upside)

5. Brandon Saad (don't discount the Chicago connection to MB)

Other guys to consider... Alex Wennberg as a potential 3rd-line center and Alec Martinez at left D even if he's a bit older....

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Personally my targets would be Landeskog and Matinez, both would be nice fits in MTL.  RNH would be a hard pass for me, plays too soft of a game IMO

I agree about RNH also he's not great defensively. 

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Friedman ... think it was him, saying Habs are courting Eichel and Landeskog hard with various names going the other way including KK and multiple picks.

Ive been saying since our SCF loss that MB would probably go hard after a guy like Eichel.  He's exactly the player we need & with a duo of Eichel - Suzuki you're probably set for 8+ years.   The problem is that the only way Barfalo is moving JE is if we include JK, (or, obviously Suzuki or CC) The thing about adding a gamebreaker like Eichel (while retaining our current best centre) is that guys like Danault become more expendable because of the many things these 2 guys can do, and the hard, hard minutes they both play. 

Landeskog is definitely an UFA we should be interested in (Dougie Hamilton should be priority #1) and at age 28 he may well be the perfect target to overpay for. Even on a 5 or 6 year deal you're probably getting good value out of him for most of those years.  

It will be an interesting few weeks.  We could go from losing Weber, JK, Danault and Tatar to gaining Hamllton, Eichel and Landeskog among others.  Obviously the biggest concern is Eichel's health but if our docs approve of a trade, id be down for it (and I REALLY like JK but you've got to pay to get). 

40 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ive been saying since our SCF loss that MB would probably go hard after a guy like Eichel.  He's exactly the player we need & with a duo of Eichel - Suzuki you're probably set for 8+ years.   The problem is that the only way Barfalo is moving JE is if we include JK, (or, obviously Suzuki or CC) The thing about adding a gamebreaker like Eichel (while retaining our current best centre) is that guys like Danault become more expendable because of the many things these 2 guys can do, and the hard, hard minutes they both play. 

Landeskog is definitely an UFA we should be interested in (Dougie Hamilton should be priority #1) and at age 28 he may well be the perfect target to overpay for. Even on a 5 or 6 year deal you're probably getting good value out of him for most of those years.  

It will be an interesting few weeks.  We could go from losing Weber, JK, Danault and Tatar to gaining Hamllton, Eichel and Landeskog among others.  Obviously the biggest concern is Eichel's health but if our docs approve of a trade, id be down for it (and I REALLY like JK but you've got to pay to get). 

I think Eichel is overhyped ... and I'd rather keep NS/KK as our future 1/2 guys and build around them ... espcially now that Weber is done, we should be going on a youth movement and aiming for 2-4 years from now.

2 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I think Eichel is overhyped ... and I'd rather keep NS/KK as our future 1/2 guys and build around them ... espcially now that Weber is done, we should be going on a youth movement and aiming for 2-4 years from now.

will Eichel is young enough. I think he's a bit overhyped as well but he's a better player than KK, I'd be willing to build a package around him to get Eichel... but who knows what the price on Eichel is right now.  I do hear its dropping 

8 minutes ago, habsisme said:

will Eichel is young enough. I think he's a bit overhyped as well but he's a better player than KK, I'd be willing to build a package around him to get Eichel... but who knows what the price on Eichel is right now.  I do hear its dropping 

I agree with this not sure why folks feel getting Eichel would hurt some kind of youth movement? it is not like he is old. He is better than KK and I feel he always will be we still have plenty of youth on the team. we really need to be looking at D but we have to firm up our forwards too so having Eichel Zuke Evans and either Dano or someone else as our centers works for me. we will have to look at getting a winger or two as well.

16 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Ive watched Eichel a lot & while i think its possible he's (at worst) a John Tavares 2.0 - but I think he's actually got an even higher ceiling. I think with the right team around him, he's potentially a top 5 player in this league. If he stays in Barfalo, we'll never know. As for the age, he's only about  3 1/2 years old than Kotkaneimi, so while i would absolutely NOT trade JK for many guys, Eichel is one I would make an exception for.  If we dont get someone like JE, im more than happy to keep JK.   I would not even consider moving him for someone like Kuznetsov like some rumors have suggested. 

13 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Definitely tough to say. And you'd have to have complete confidence from the medical team that you were getting a guy who could bounce back.   If they said he needs a full year of rehab then obviously this is a huge part of his trade value.  Maybe you offer Drouin +

Eichel-Suzuki-Evans-Poehling down the middle next year works for me (assuming JK plus gets that trade done).

That gives us a real #1 C, a real #2 C, a good enough #3 C (I wouldn't pay Danault what he's likely looking for), and Poehling is due to come up and would be either a good 4C or 4L to start.

Toffoli-Eichel-Anderson (Its TEA time!)
Caufield-Suzuki-Gallagher
Byron-Evans-Lehkonen (this line seemed like a good shut down line)
UFA-Poehling-Perry

6 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Eichel-Suzuki-Evans-Poehling down the middle next year works for me (assuming JK plus gets that trade done).

That gives us a real #1 C, a real #2 C, a good enough #3 C (I wouldn't pay Danault what he's likely looking for), and Poehling is due to come up and would be either a good 4C or 4L to start.

UFA-Poehling-Perry

Agree. Its possible you sign another vet to play in the bottom 6 centre role as a bit of insurance. With Eichel and Suzuki as your top 2, I dont think there's any worry of the coaches over using a bottom 6 player. 

58 minutes ago, Windoe said:

UFA-Poehling-Perry

I think we might want to use Evans or Poehling on the wing, as we may lose Lehkonen, Armia, and Byron, along with Tatar. So I'd like to re-sign Staal at minimum contract, I certainly don't mind him on my 4th line, and we just won't be as deep this year as last year (though still pretty deep)

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I think we might want to use Evans or Poehling on the wing, as we may lose Lehkonen, Armia, and Byron, along with Tatar. So I'd like to re-sign Staal at minimum contract, I certainly don't mind him on my 4th line, and we just won't be as deep this year as last year (though still pretty deep)

1. Staal may retire

2. Staal was only really decent when Armia was on his line. When Armia wasn't there, Staal was awful. Armia may not be back. In fact, the odds are high he won't be.

3. There are better free agent options than Staal available.

4. Poehling is a decent 4C option too. He had success in Laval this year, he's big, and he played well with Ylonen, who could also graduate to the big club this season.

Yes, we'd be missing a veteran element down the middle if both Staal and Danault are gone, but I don't think Staal makes us better by being there and I think we try to run some experience down the wing or on D instead. I still believe a guy like Brandon Saad could be a useful target for MB, perhaps on a deal similar to what he gave Toffoli.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Staal may retire

2. Staal was only really decent when Armia was on his line. When Armia wasn't there, Staal was awful. Armia may not be back. In fact, the odds are high he won't be.

3. There are better free agent options than Staal available.

4. Poehling is a decent 4C option too. He had success in Laval this year, he's big, and he played well with Ylonen, who could also graduate to the big club this season.

Yes, we'd be missing a veteran element down the middle if both Staal and Danault are gone, but I don't think Staal makes us better by being there and I think we try to run some experience down the wing or on D instead. I still believe a guy like Brandon Saad could be a useful target for MB, perhaps on a deal similar to what he gave Toffoli.

yeah I definitely like Poehling and Evans over Staal, but as we stand right now, we may be short on the wing and those two could fill those roles. But you're right it depends what happens in free agency/expansion draft/trades. We can get a different veteran 4th line center, or get a good winger or both given the Drouin and Weber seem to be out

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah I definitely like Poehling and Evans over Staal, but as we stand right now, we may be short on the wing and those two could fill those roles. But you're right it depends what happens in free agency/expansion draft/trades. We can get a different veteran 4th line center, or get a good winger or both given the Drouin and Weber seem to be out

Wingers at present:

- Toffoli, Gallagher, Caufield, and Anderson likely on your top 2 lines

- Byron, Lehkonen in your bottom 6

- Possibly Perry, Ylonen, Armia, and/or Drouin to add into that mix.

I agree with you that Poehling could be an option as a power winger, but I don't think he makes the winger group and better than it is now. As a winger, he's further down the depth chart, whereas as a center, he's higher up. I'd personally prefer Ylonen on the wing and Poehling at center tan Poehling on wing and Staal at center.

With the Weber injury and Drouin with red flags that might prevent him from being chosen, MB has spots to use on his protection list. Up front, he only has 6 forwards he needs to protect (Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, JK, Lehkonen, and Evans). So he has at least one spot to use and maybe two if he acquires a player better than Lehkonen. On D, he really only needs to protect Petry. If you lose one of Edmundson or Chiarot, you have the other one left. Edmundson is better, so let's say he stays, but regardless, the team can afford to lose Chiarot.

So all this means that he can easily go out and give futures to be able to acquire a forward or a D man and protect that player where another team cannot. If Carolina can't protect Bean or Skjei, what a great opportunity to flip them a 2nd rounder to take that player off their hands. Their alternative is losing them for nothing or giving Seattle a 1st and a 3rd to keep them. St. Louis can't hang on to Vince Dunn? Here's a 3rd or 4th rounder to take that player off their hands. There is big opportunity here for MB to make a move and shore up his D especially. After 3PM, then he loses the ability to take advantage of another team's roster problems for the ED, so it's a big day today.

MB also needs to sign Perry or Danault today in order to fill his 2nd forward veteran spot to be exposed.

33 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

With the Weber injury and Drouin with red flags that might prevent him from being chosen, MB has spots to use on his protection list. Up front, he only has 6 forwards he needs to protect (Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, JK, Lehkonen, and Evans). So he has at least one spot to use and maybe two if he acquires a player better than Lehkonen. On D, he really only needs to protect Petry. If you lose one of Edmundson or Chiarot, you have the other one left. Edmundson is better, so let's say he stays, but regardless, the team can afford to lose Chiarot.

So all this means that he can easily go out and give futures to be able to acquire a forward or a D man and protect that player where another team cannot. If Carolina can't protect Bean or Skjei, what a great opportunity to flip them a 2nd rounder to take that player off their hands. Their alternative is losing them for nothing or giving Seattle a 1st and a 3rd to keep them. St. Louis can't hang on to Vince Dunn? Here's a 3rd or 4th rounder to take that player off their hands. There is big opportunity here for MB to make a move and shore up his D especially. After 3PM, then he loses the ability to take advantage of another team's roster problems for the ED, so it's a big day today.

MB also needs to sign Perry or Danault today in order to fill his 2nd forward veteran spot to be exposed.

It will be an interesting day as all the other GM's in the NHL will be looking to do the same sorts of moves either dump salary get players they need move in the draft there should be a ton of movement all through the league! it could be a make or break day for us.

• H_T_L locked this topic