Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if Torts is axed in Columbus, and Laine plus picks or other is traded to Buffalo for Eichel. Then Torts is hired by Buffalo as their coach 

Telenovela material, I like it :lol:

Edited by ChiLla
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guillaume Latendresse says if he were in charge, he would look to trade Drouin for help on defence and then re-sign Tatar for cheaper than it would cost to keep Drouin around. He says Drouin would have considerable trade value and while he isn't looking to trade Drouin, he thinks the Habs need help on D and that Drouin is one trade chip that could bring them top-end help they need.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Guillaume Latendresse says if he were in charge, he would look to trade Drouin for help on defence and then re-sign Tatar for cheaper than it would cost to keep Drouin around. He says Drouin would have considerable trade value and while he isn't looking to trade Drouin, he thinks the Habs need help on D and that Drouin is one trade chip that could bring them top-end help they need.

Interesting....I think a D man would have to go too as we would have a surplus from a money side of them at that point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Guillaume Latendresse says if he were in charge, he would look to trade Drouin for help on defence and then re-sign Tatar for cheaper than it would cost to keep Drouin around. He says Drouin would have considerable trade value and while he isn't looking to trade Drouin, he thinks the Habs need help on D and that Drouin is one trade chip that could bring them top-end help they need.

That's what I'm talking about. He's got value? Then we can trade him with a defenseman & a pick for an uber upgrade on D. I like Tatar's game a lot better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Gally goes on LITR How about Armeia for Palmeiri with NJ  Retaining some salary.    Also Mete for Gubranson with Ottawa retainking some salary.  Gally comes back for playoffs and  we still have a scoring RW in Palmeirit and Gubranson will slot in nicely on right side with Romanov.   Stil should have cap room to manager roster comfortably. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Guillaume Latendresse says if he were in charge, he would look to trade Drouin for help on defence and then re-sign Tatar for cheaper than it would cost to keep Drouin around. He says Drouin would have considerable trade value and while he isn't looking to trade Drouin, he thinks the Habs need help on D and that Drouin is one trade chip that could bring them top-end help they need.

I think we should find out what Rejean Houle would do first before we pull the trigger on this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tony5775 said:

I think we should find out what Rejean Houle would do first before we pull the trigger on this one. 

:4224::5187:  I'm not one to give up on Drouin just yet - I am interested to see how he does in the playoff round before potentially selling high or low on him. As far as the defense goes - I would love an upgrade but not for this playoff run if it means sacrificing some future - we are an ascending team. The time to make the major moves IMO, is for the off season. So I am not on Latendresse's side but if anyone knows about underperforming forwards, he's lived that through experience! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

I think we should find out what Rejean Houle would do first before we pull the trigger on this one. 

 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

:4224::5187:  I'm not one to give up on Drouin just yet - I am interested to see how he does in the playoff round before potentially selling high or low on him. As far as the defense goes - I would love an upgrade but not for this playoff run if it means sacrificing some future - we are an ascending team. The time to make the major moves IMO, is for the off season. So I am not on Latendresse's side but if anyone knows about underperforming forwards, he's lived that through experience! 

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting we trade Drouin, just reporting what Latendresse said. And Latendresse didn't say he sees Drouin as under-performing or a problem player, he actually is somewhat saying the opposite and saying the reason he would trade him is that he has value as a commodity to bring back the top 4 D help the Habs need. He thinks Tatar can be re-signed for cheaper than Drouin and fill the LW spot next year in his place, rather than letting Tatar walk and not filling the LHD spot.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with Drouin. I think he's made strides in his defensive game and in giving a more consistent effort over the past two years. His effort was lacking when he first got here, but I find he's played well this year and last. Whether he's meeting expectations depends on what your expectations are. If you're someone who still thinks he can be a 1C who puts up 80 points, then you're always going to be disappointed by him. If you view him as a 50-60 point 2nd line winger, you'll feel he's fulfilling his role. Keep in mind that in the past 5 years before the current season, the Habs have only had 4 players hit the 60-point mark or higher, so it's not a common feat. The last time we had an 80-point player was 2007-08 when Alex Kovalev did it. So 50-60 points is a reasonably good season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting we trade Drouin, just reporting what Latendresse said. And Latendresse didn't say he sees Drouin as under-performing or a problem player, he actually is somewhat saying the opposite and saying the reason he would trade him is that he has value as a commodity to bring back the top 4 D help the Habs need. He thinks Tatar can be re-signed for cheaper than Drouin and fill the LW spot next year in his place, rather than letting Tatar walk and not filling the LHD spot.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with Drouin. I think he's made strides in his defensive game and in giving a more consistent effort over the past two years. His effort was lacking when he first got here, but I find he's played well this year and last. Whether he's meeting expectations depends on what your expectations are. If you're someone who still thinks he can be a 1C who puts up 80 points, then you're always going to be disappointed by him. If you view him as a 50-60 point 2nd line winger, you'll feel he's fulfilling his role. Keep in mind that in the past 5 years before the current season, the Habs have only had 4 players hit the 60-point mark or higher, so it's not a common feat. The last time we had an 80-point player was 2007-08 when Alex Kovalev did it. So 50-60 points is a reasonably good season.

I disagree with Latendresse's assessment, IF we trade Drouin our LW gets considerably weaker unless your plan is to move KK or Staal to the wing permanently. Drouin is the only real playmaking forward we have. We should center a trade some of our surplus depth and prospects and picks for an upgrade on D IMO. If you can center a trade around something like Byron or Chiarot + Struble or Mysak + 1st or 2nd for a young top 4 PM D we should do that before weakening the roster just ahead of the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Guillaume Latendresse says if he were in charge, he would look to trade Drouin for help on defence and then re-sign Tatar for cheaper than it would cost to keep Drouin around. He says Drouin would have considerable trade value and while he isn't looking to trade Drouin, he thinks the Habs need help on D and that Drouin is one trade chip that could bring them top-end help they need.

I can agree with Tartar over Drouin. But you have to sign Tartar first. 
 

drouin would need a hefty top up with a high draft pick to acquire a top end defence man. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I disagree with Latendresse's assessment, IF we trade Drouin our LW gets considerably weaker unless your plan is to move KK or Staal to the wing permanently. Drouin is the only real playmaking forward we have. We should center a trade some of our surplus depth and prospects and picks for an upgrade on D IMO. If you can center a trade around something like Byron or Chiarot + Struble or Mysak + 1st or 2nd for a young top 4 PM D we should do that before weakening the roster just ahead of the playoffs.

I think Latenderesse is saying that we won't be able to keep Tatar AND Drouin next year because of the cap, and that Drouin has more trade value so why not go get the LHD you need and then just re-sign Tatar to fill the spot you would have given Drouin in 2021-22. Either way next year, we're unlikely to keep both, so we're going to need another solution at LW anyways. I am assuming that we'll be playing Toffoli on the left next year with Gallagher/Anderson/Caufield/Ylonen already primarily right wingers, but you never know... I've already outlined why I think Caufield could be an effective LW as well. I think there are options in house. Again, not advocating trading Drouin, just saying I think Latendresse is right that LHD is a more pressing need and if that's your best way of addressing it, it's an option. I'd rather have Tatar + new top 4 LHD than keep Drouin, let Tatar walk for nothing, and have no LHD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Latenderesse is saying that we won't be able to keep Tatar AND Drouin next year because of the cap, and that Drouin has more trade value so why not go get the LHD you need and then just re-sign Tatar to fill the spot you would have given Drouin in 2021-22. Either way next year, we're unlikely to keep both, so we're going to need another solution at LW anyways. I am assuming that we'll be playing Toffoli on the left next year with Gallagher/Anderson/Caufield/Ylonen already primarily right wingers, but you never know... I've already outlined why I think Caufield could be an effective LW as well. I think there are options in house. Again, not advocating trading Drouin, just saying I think Latendresse is right that LHD is a more pressing need and if that's your best way of addressing it, it's an option. I'd rather have Tatar + new top 4 LHD than keep Drouin, let Tatar walk for nothing, and have no LHD.

the habs CAN sign Tatar, so long as its a reasonable contract (similar to the one he's on now), if they don't sign Danault. I assume we're keeping one and losing the other. I'd rather keep Tatar and Drouin

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would be very hesitant to resign Tatar. He's 30 years old and he's not scoring at the same pace he was in previous seasons. He also might command just as much as Drouin on the open market. I'd be more inclined to keep Drouin.

Between the 2 Id also keep Drouin, if for nothing else, the age. They play different games of course, i like aspects of both of their games. I do still think drouin has a higher ceiling but not sure he'll ever reach it - but i wouldnt be surprised to see him out performing Tatar for the next 3 -4 years (which is probably the contract Tatar will be looking for).

That said, if i could get the right deal (for a LD for example) id do it with either & keep the other.  

I do think that Drouin has more value than Tatar though. Probably not substantially more but more imho. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would be very hesitant to resign Tatar. He's 30 years old and he's not scoring at the same pace he was in previous seasons. He also might command just as much as Drouin on the open market. I'd be more inclined to keep Drouin.

 

43 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Between the 2 Id also keep Drouin, if for nothing else, the age. They play different games of course, i like aspects of both of their games. I do still think drouin has a higher ceiling but not sure he'll ever reach it - but i wouldnt be surprised to see him out performing Tatar for the next 3 -4 years (which is probably the contract Tatar will be looking for).

That said, if i could get the right deal (for a LD for example) id do it with either & keep the other.  

I do think that Drouin has more value than Tatar though. Probably not substantially more but more imho. 

Not saying this will happen, but I think what Latendresse is saying is let's say you can

1. Re-sign Tatar for 3 years at 4.25M a year (i.e less than Drouin is making)

2. Trade Drouin for someone like Travis Sanheim

His point is that you're better off having Sanheim/Tatar next year than letting Tatar walk for nothing and having Drouin and still using Chiarot/Edmundson/Kulak down the left side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

 

Not saying this will happen, but I think what Latendresse is saying is let's say you can

1. Re-sign Tatar for 3 years at 4.25M a year (i.e less than Drouin is making)

2. Trade Drouin for someone like Travis Sanheim

His point is that you're better off having Sanheim/Tatar next year than letting Tatar walk for nothing and having Drouin and still using Chiarot/Edmundson/Kulak down the left side.

For sure. And im more than happy to have Sanheim/Tatar than Chairot/Drouin

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Guillaume Latendresse says if he were in charge, he would look to trade Drouin for help on defence and then re-sign Tatar for cheaper than it would cost to keep Drouin around. He says Drouin would have considerable trade value and while he isn't looking to trade Drouin, he thinks the Habs need help on D and that Drouin is one trade chip that could bring them top-end help they need.

I don't put much faith in what Latendresse says ...Drouin is around for another 2 years after this and Tatar will want a 3 or 4 year contract for more money and he won't get it from the Habs ...I think it's more likely Tatar gets traded at the deadline than Drouin  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I don't put much faith in what Latendresse says ...Drouin is around for another 2 years after this and Tatar will want a 3 or 4 year contract for more money and he won't get it from the Habs ...I think it's more likely Tatar gets traded at the deadline than Drouin  

i dont think either of them will get traded. 

with the flat cap, Tatar may sign here for the same money he was making. To me it would be worth it. 

The only way a roster player gets traded is to bring in a big contract, but it will be someone like Lehkonen or Armia, not Tatar or Drouin, I'd be shocked if they were moved. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I don't put much faith in what Latendresse says ...Drouin is around for another 2 years after this and Tatar will want a 3 or 4 year contract for more money and he won't get it from the Habs ...I think it's more likely Tatar gets traded at the deadline than Drouin  

 

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

i dont think either of them will get traded. 

with the flat cap, Tatar may sign here for the same money he was making. To me it would be worth it. 

The only way a roster player gets traded is to bring in a big contract, but it will be someone like Lehkonen or Armia, not Tatar or Drouin, I'd be shocked if they were moved. 

 

yeah im not convinced Tatar will be looking for a raise. First, there's a flat cap as mentioned, but also remember he was a "throw in/salary dump" in a trade because he did so poorly in Vegas. He has said a few times in interviews he was devastated at how quickly things went south.  I could see him taking an offer from MB if its even close to what he is making now. I am not sure about term. That could be the stumbling block.  I think he'll take a discount to stay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, maas_art said:

 

 

yeah im not convinced Tatar will be looking for a raise. First, there's a flat cap as mentioned, but also remember he was a "throw in/salary dump" in a trade because he did so poorly in Vegas. He has said a few times in interviews he was devastated at how quickly things went south.  I could see him taking an offer from MB if its even close to what he is making now. I am not sure about term. That could be the stumbling block.  I think he'll take a discount to stay. 

Agreed. I think in the current climate, he'd be happy to get 5M a year. We might get him for cheaper. He might also want a 1-year flyer to see how the market evolves, but that could work for us too. Anything 3 years or less makes sense for us. That said, I think he could have a couple of other options that interest him... I could see him considering going back to Detroit, where he also had success and where he'd probably get loads of icetime. I could see him going somewhere like Pittsburgh or Edmonton where they have great centers but aren't so deep at wing and where he'd get a chance to take a one-year deal and pile up points. And I could see him going to Florida or Anaheim or San Jose or LA. If you follow him on social media, he seems to spend a lot of time tanning on the beach, so maybe a warm climate would be of interest to him. I guess it just depends what factor is the major driving interest for him. As you said, sticking in Montreal, especially if he can keep playing with Danault-Gallagher, has to be one factor for him. I don't think MB has any interest in over-paying. I think MB doesn't have the cap room and won't jeopardize his cap to sign a supporting player like Tatar. So I imagine MB will be giving him a take-it-or-leave-it offer... here's 2 or 3 years at 4.5M , if you don't like it go see what someone else will pay you. But I also doubt MB trades him this year when he sees the Habs as being a Cup contender )even though they're a longshot).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed. I think in the current climate, he'd be happy to get 5M a year. We might get him for cheaper. He might also want a 1-year flyer to see how the market evolves, but that could work for us too. Anything 3 years or less makes sense for us. That said, I think he could have a couple of other options that interest him... I could see him considering going back to Detroit, where he also had success and where he'd probably get loads of icetime. I could see him going somewhere like Pittsburgh or Edmonton where they have great centers but aren't so deep at wing and where he'd get a chance to take a one-year deal and pile up points. And I could see him going to Florida or Anaheim or San Jose or LA. If you follow him on social media, he seems to spend a lot of time tanning on the beach, so maybe a warm climate would be of interest to him. I guess it just depends what factor is the major driving interest for him. As you said, sticking in Montreal, especially if he can keep playing with Danault-Gallagher, has to be one factor for him. I don't think MB has any interest in over-paying. I think MB doesn't have the cap room and won't jeopardize his cap to sign a supporting player like Tatar. So I imagine MB will be giving him a take-it-or-leave-it offer... here's 2 or 3 years at 4.5M , if you don't like it go see what someone else will pay you. But I also doubt MB trades him this year when he sees the Habs as being a Cup contender )even though they're a longshot).

I kind of wonder how Tuna would do with a better center upgrade over Danault who I believe is a real long shot to be resigned. If Tatar is unlikely to play with Suzuki or KK because Drouin and Toffoli likely have those left wing spots - does he have much value/worth to a 3 year term and even discounted $4M. Would he bet on himself with a 1 year term in this scenario (I wouldn't as he's not being set up for success). Tuna becomes complimentary if we can acquire a half decent center for the third line and IMO there is not anything in the free agent center pool. Poehling has improved and may compete for 3rd line / 4th line centre with Evans, but at this stage I don't see them as catalysts to feed Tatar's offensive skills. Now if you say Tatar will likely be paired with Caufield or Ylonen then there's winger upside scoring but they still need a creative centre. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 4:07 PM, BigTed3 said:

 

Not saying this will happen, but I think what Latendresse is saying is let's say you can

1. Re-sign Tatar for 3 years at 4.25M a year (i.e less than Drouin is making)

2. Trade Drouin for someone like Travis Sanheim

His point is that you're better off having Sanheim/Tatar next year than letting Tatar walk for nothing and having Drouin and still using Chiarot/Edmundson/Kulak down the left side.

I'd be ecstatic with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

RDS speculating that MB might be targeting one of NJ"s 3 UFA defensemen Ryan Murray, Sami Vatanen and Dmitry Kulikov.

If we HAD to choose, I would probably take Ryan Murray.  But my preference would be to swing for the fence and trade Drouin, a 2nd or 2 & a prospect or 2 for a bona-fide upgrade.  Otherwise,  it's just excess D.

Edited by electron58
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...