kinot-2

July 1st UFA's, would you target any of them?

228 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Sekera just bought out by Oilers wonder if he would be a better cheaper deal than Gardiner as a top 4 D

So IF we do sign Duchene at about 8-9 Mil (I know it maybe more but am hopeful that's the max) and Kinkade at say no mor than 2.5 and Sekera at say 2.5-3 we can fit them all in but would have to make trades to be able to sign both Armia and Lehkonen who I would love to keep as well. Our lineup would have 

Domi, Duchene, Gallagher, Drouin, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Armia, Danault, Byron, Shaw, Weal and Thompson. Providing we don't bring up either Poehling or Suzuki this year (Which I would rather have in Montreal) at forward.

Sekera, Weber, Petry, Mete, Juulsen, Kulak and Leskinen on D and Price and Kinkade in goal. 

We would have to get rid of some forwards for sure and some could be burried in Laval. Buying out Alzner might make sense in this case and trades would definitely have to be made hopefully at or near value but you can't argue our needs would be filled and we would be contenders then.

Edited by campabee82

53 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Sekera just bought out by Oilers wonder if he would be a better cheaper deal than Gardiner as a top 4 D

21 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Sekera could be an option. I'm not sure he's better than Mete but it wouldn't come with much risk

Sekera might now be the 2nd-best LHD on the UFA market. Not sure that says much, however. Is he a better option than Mete or Kulak? Not so sure. He's a serviceable 2nd or 3rd pairing guy, and he is likely a step up on our current 3rd-pairing options, but he's also already 33 and he doesn't fix our hole at the 1 LHD position. I'd likely pass on him.

Reimer traded to Carolina for Darling, who is then bought out by Florida... lines up everything for Florida to sign Bobrovsky, which puts either Lehner back on the Isles unless they chase Varlamov instead.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Sekera might now be the 2nd-best LHD on the UFA market. Not sure that says much, however. Is he a better option than Mete or Kulak? Not so sure. He's a serviceable 2nd or 3rd pairing guy, and he is likely a step up on our current 3rd-pairing options, but he's also already 33 and he doesn't fix our hole at the 1 LHD position. I'd likely pass on him.

Fair assessment

My best guesses on where UFA's go...

- Bobrovsky: Florida

- Lehner: NY Islanders

- Talbot: Calgary

- Mike Smith: Carolina

- Kinkaid: Montreal

- Varlamov: Columbus

- Mrazek: Edmonton

- McElhinney: Carolina

- Myers: Vancouver

- Gardiner: Dallas

- Sekera: Minnesota

- Hutton: Toronto

- Methot: Montreal

- Stralman: Winnipeg

- Panarin: Florida

- Duchene: Nashville

- Pavelski: Dallas

- Lee: NY Islanders

- Zuccarello: Minnesota

- Simmonds: Pittsburgh

- Perry: Edmonton

- Nyqist: Chicago

- Dzingel: Boston

- Johansson: Columbus

- Williams: Carolina

- Maroon: St. Louis

- Ferland: Philly

- Marleau: San Jose

- Spezza: Carolina

- Boyle: Winnipeg

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

My best guesses on where UFA's go...

- Bobrovsky: Florida

- Lehner: NY Islanders

- Talbot: Calgary

- Mike Smith: Carolina

- Kinkaid: Montreal

- Varlamov: Columbus

- Mrazek: Edmonton

- McElhinney: Carolina

- Myers: Vancouver

- Gardiner: Dallas

- Sekera: Minnesota

- Hutton: Toronto

- Methot: Montreal

- Stralman: Winnipeg

- Panarin: Florida

- Duchene: Nashville

- Pavelski: Dallas

- Lee: NY Islanders

- Zuccarello: Minnesota

- Simmonds: Pittsburgh

- Perry: Edmonton

- Nyqist: Chicago

- Dzingel: Boston

- Johansson: Columbus

- Williams: Carolina

- Maroon: St. Louis

- Ferland: Philly

- Marleau: San Jose

- Spezza: Carolina

- Boyle: Winnipeg

I still think with Duchene following Price, Gallagher, Domi and Thompson in the last 2 or 3 days he may be coming here

44 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I still think with Duchene following Price, Gallagher, Domi and Thompson in the last 2 or 3 days he may be coming here

It's still possible, but I continue to believe Nashville has the upper hand despite everything else... all the guys he follows on twitter are players he has links to outside of the Habs, and he follows guys from other teams too.

It's still possible, but I continue to believe Nashville has the upper hand despite everything else... all the guys he follows on twitter are players he has links to outside of the Habs, and he follows guys from other teams too.

But none from Nashville with the exception of Fisher and he did just add the Habs over the last 3 days may be coincidence or perhaps leading to an announcement but who knows for sure

Shaw traded to Hawks for picks... cap clearing deal, tells me there's a signing or another acquisition coming at forward!

We get a 2nd in 2020, 3rd in 2021 and we get their 7th in 2020 in exchange for our 7th in 2021... so almost recouping full value on what we got from Hawks in the first place. Good trade if we follow this up with spending the cap money on bigger and better things.

Habs also building up a decent amount of draft capital for next year again... they already had extra 4th/5th round picks, but now they have 2 2nd's for yet another year... draft is in Montreal to boot.

Habs also building up a decent amount of draft capital for next year again... they already had extra 4th/5th round picks, but now they have 2 2nd's for yet another year... draft is in Montreal to boot.

Timmons stated in an interview that they wanted to stock pile picks for next years draft given that it will be in Montreal.

Well sounds like we are signing someone. Team will be better next year, but 2-3 years from now it will hurt. 

With no star player at forward and no answer at LD, we won't make it very far

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Well sounds like we are signing someone. Team will be better next year, but 2-3 years from now it will hurt. 

With no star player at forward and no answer at LD, we won't make it very far

No star player at forward?  Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Caufield, Suzuki...We’re far from hurting.  As far as our answer at LD goes, the answer is Romanov.  This was a smart move by Bergevin to sell high on Shaw and get multiple assets.

8 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

No star player at forward?  Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Caufield, Suzuki...We’re far from hurting.  As far as our answer at LD goes, the answer is Romanov.  This was a smart move by Bergevin to sell high on Shaw and get multiple assets.

Plus Leskinen looks good so far as well and has experience playing against men

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Same.  If theres absolutely no way to get an upgrade at left d, he'd  be "ok" but i think MB needs far better than "ok" right now.  Even though he just got bought out i suspect someone is going to give him a multiyear deal. 

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Plus Leskinen looks good so far as well and has experience playing against men

For once we have the depth to make a move like this and not have it hurt us.  On top of that, our fearless leader 🤡 Marc Bergevin has finally 8 years in to his 5 year plan started building through the draft as promised.  This the most promising the Hans future has ever looked.

17 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

those are our future, we dont have a Tavares on this team, we have players that could become that. And we are ruining our chances with whomever we are signing

Just now, habsisme said:

those are our future, we dont have a Tavares on this team, we have players that could become that. And we are ruining our chances with whomever we are signing

Why?  Because moving Shaw is a deal breaker for whoever signs with us?  Or because we didn’t land (insert 1 pairing d-mans name here) by using Shaw as bait?  Last off season we would’ve been lucky to get a 6th round pick for Shaw.  Now you’re telling me we were going to get a top pairing d for a guy whose only put up 1 good year for the CH?  If we could’ve had a top pairing LD for him, the deal would’ve been done already.  The truth is, Stan Bowman overpaid because he’s getting impatient with his rebuild.

15 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Why?  Because moving Shaw is a deal breaker for whoever signs with us?  Or because we didn’t land (insert 1 pairing d-mans name here) by using Shaw as bait?  Last off season we would’ve been lucky to get a 6th round pick for Shaw.  Now you’re telling me we were going to get a top pairing d for a guy whose only put up 1 good year for the CH?  If we could’ve had a top pairing LD for him, the deal would’ve been done already.  The truth is, Stan Bowman overpaid because he’s getting impatient with his rebuild.

no no, i mean signing Duch to ~9 million a year is going to hurt our chances at re-signing guys that could become legit stars in this league because of the cap

Just now, habsisme said:

no no, i mean signing Duch to ~9 million a year is going to hurt our chances at re-signing guys that could become legit stars in this league because of the cap

I see what you’re saying.  But it could very well be that MB is clearing out a roster spot for one of our younger guys, and clearing cap space to sign Domi to an extension.  It could really be that simple.

2 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I see what you’re saying.  But it could very well be that MB is clearing out a roster spot for one of our younger guys, and clearing cap space to sign Domi to an extension.  It could really be that simple.

I don't think MB will go into the season with 12M in cap space. I expect a signing tomorrow, be it Duchene, Lee, Gardiner, or otherwise... or a trade.

I don't think MB will go into the season with 12M in cap space. I expect a signing tomorrow, be it Duchene, Lee, Gardiner, or otherwise... or a trade.

yeah he's signiing someone. There might be a trade but if there is it will be in addition to a signing. I'm betting  90% its Duch

9 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah he's signiing someone. There might be a trade but if there is it will be in addition to a signing. I'm betting  90% its Duch

I have been saying this all day LOL especially after he started following Habs on Twitter. But I also think Kinkade will be signed and MB might believe Leskinen is our 1 LHD which doesn't hurt cause even if he doesn't work there we still have Mete who can play there relatively well until Romanov is available. This year I think we may challenge for the division lead providing these deals work out of course

With all the rumored signings, who's left as the bigger names for UFA?

- Gardiner, Sekera, Myers, Stralman, Hutton, Methot, Hainsey as D men

- Varlamov, Lehner, Mrazek, McElhinney as goalies

- Panarin likely the big fish that has to fall first to sort out Lee

- Spezza, Marleau, Thornton, Brassard, Nyqist, Johansson, Simmonds, Nischushkin, Donskoi, Pominville, Boyle, Dzingel, Ferland, Chiasson, Filpulla...

Not huge pickings there... my wish list for now would be

1. Lee

2. Dzingel

3. Gardiner (at a reasonable contract only though, not more than 5 years, which isn't likely)

4. McElhinney

5. Nyqist