Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

New NHL RFA Compensation Rules

6 posts in this topic

The NHL restricted free agent market, an area of the offseason where we never see some action but we always see plenty of talk. 

Every fan wants their team to make RFA offers and get players signed to offer sheets, but GM's across the league stay quiet and we haven't seen an offer sheet signed since Ryan O'Reilly signed one back in 2013. 

This year we have some pretty big names on the board, franchise type players which include Mikko Rantanen, Mitch Marner, Sebastien Aho, Brayden Point and Matthew Tkachuk just to name a few. 

Check it out below:

OFFER SHEET (AAV) Compensation:
$1,395,053 or below: None
Over $1,395,053 to $2,113,716: 3rd round pick
Over $2,113,716 to $4,227,437: 2nd round pick
Over $4,227,437 to $6,341,152: 1st, 3rd round picks
Over $6,341,152 to $8,454,871: 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks
Over $8,454,871 to $10,568,589: (2) 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks
Over $10,568,589: (4) 1st round picks

You say NEW. What is different from last year? I thought changes had to be negotiated in the CBA.

Did some checking and see no difference in the compensation packages. The different numbers are adjusted based on salary increases. I still don't see teams lining up to offer sheet players. Status quo IMO.

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Did some checking and see no difference in the compensation packages. The different numbers are adjusted based on salary increases. I still don't see teams lining up to offer sheet players. Status quo IMO.

Ya, prolly just a numbers game. I didn't know what the original compensations were.