H_T_L

2019-20 If i were GM

352 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2019 at 4:18 PM, BigTed3 said:

Agreed with the other responses you got: I would do it but not sure Dallas would. Dallas isn't pressed for a player like JK and I think finding a Heiskanen right now is harder. I think we have better options to fill in the center position in coming years with Poehling, Suzuki, Domi (as Jedi said too) but not too many options for LHD (Romanov and even he isn't a sure thing to come over here or be NHL-ready).

The biggest thing I would do if I was GM is be in constant contact with Romanov and his agent to ensure he signs with the Habs this year instead of resigning in the KHL. He has to sign and play this year for the Habs to ensure he burns that first yeaŕ off his ELC and be reassured he is going to play in the NHL not the AHL otherwise I think he signs a long term deal with his KHL club. I hate to guarantee playing time to any prospect or player but that's what I think it is going to take to get him over here.

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

The biggest thing I would do if I was GM is be in constant contact with Romanov and his agent to ensure he signs with the Habs this year instead of resigning in the KHL. He has to sign and play this year for the Habs to ensure he burns that first yeaŕ off his ELC and be reassured he is going to play in the NHL not the AHL otherwise I think he signs a long term deal with his KHL club. I hate to guarantee playing time to any prospect or player but that's what I think it is going to take to get him over here.

I imagine he's doing just that. I hear he's going to Russia in Dec. Unfortunately we can only offer him the max within the rules. Will be hard to compete with the money and the culture change if he gets offered a monster deal in the KHL.

4 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I imagine he's doing just that. I hear he's going to Russia in Dec. Unfortunately we can only offer him the max within the rules. Will be hard to compete with the money and the culture change if he gets offered a monster deal in the KHL.

Yeah that's why I think it will take a guarantee from MB that he will be a top 4 NHL dman from the start and he will have to play at the end of this year to burn that first year off

11 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah that's why I think it will take a guarantee from MB that he will be a top 4 NHL dman from the start and he will have to play at the end of this year to burn that first year off

I can't honestly see how they can promise him a top 4 spot. If he comes over and struggles with the changes. I doubt CJ puts his job on the line playing him in that role. Our hope would be that he adjusts quickly and is everything everyone thinks he is.

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I can't honestly see how they can promise him a top 4 spot. If he comes over and struggles with the changes. I doubt CJ puts his job on the line playing him in that role. Our hope would be that he adjusts quickly and is everything everyone thinks he is.

I personally wouldn't do that either and I am not sure if something like that could be written into a contract but with how high MB is on the kid I can see him trying something like that. I also don't see how if it was part of his contract CJ's job would be on the line if things went sideways that would be on MB. 

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2019/10/24/20931381/chicago-blackhawks-brendan-perlini-mutual-seek-trade-nhl-trade-rumors-2019

Brendan Perlini’s time with the Blackhawks appears to be coming to an end.
The 23-year-old Perlini re-signed with the Blackhawks on a one-year deal worth $874,125 in September,
Chicago has given Perlini’s agent, Darren Ferris, permission to seek a trade, according to a report by Bob McKenzie on TSN’s “Insider Trading” on Thursday night.

Could this player be another Armia perhaps... worth a look IMO.

5 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2019/10/24/20931381/chicago-blackhawks-brendan-perlini-mutual-seek-trade-nhl-trade-rumors-2019

Brendan Perlini’s time with the Blackhawks appears to be coming to an end.
The 23-year-old Perlini re-signed with the Blackhawks on a one-year deal worth $874,125 in September,
Chicago has given Perlini’s agent, Darren Ferris, permission to seek a trade, according to a report by Bob McKenzie on TSN’s “Insider Trading” on Thursday night.

Could this player be another Armia perhaps... worth a look IMO.

I personally wouldn't take that chance. We don't need anymore depth players forwards or defense. We need top players, a top line goal scorer and a top pairing LHD

I personally wouldn't take that chance. We don't need anymore depth players forwards or defense. We need top players, a top line goal scorer and a top pairing LHD

yep! we have so much depth we can't see out of the hole it has put us in.....

could totally see MB taking a chance on Perlini.  Like everyone else, not interested.  He might well be another of MB's "diamond in the rough" moves but we need a very specific type of player to help us at this point.  A depth guy is not that. 

18 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Absolutely need that top pairing LD... is Armia just another depth player however? Perlini is a right winger with size... something the Habs could use if he could end up like Armia IMO. Size is still an issue for the Habs.

The Habs don't really have a big need for a depth forward, but Jordan Weal is a guy I haven't seen find a niche here. Could Perlini be a better fit here than Weal? Would the Hawks consider a 1v1 swap?

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The Habs don't really have a big need for a depth forward, but Jordan Weal is a guy I haven't seen find a niche here. Could Perlini be a better fit here than Weal? Would the Hawks consider a 1v1 swap?

Even a 1 for 1 trade where would he slot in? With guys like Gallagher, Byron/Cousins, Armia and Suzuki playing RW this year who sits or gets sent down to Laval, Suzuki that's who and I don't think Suzuki in Laval and Perlini playing makes us better. It doesn't make us worse for sure but why bother making a trade the doesn't make you better. The one thing I will say is IF MB does consider it and makes a trade for Perlini then 1 for 1 for Weal makes the most sense.

Even a 1 for 1 trade where would he slot in? With guys like Gallagher, Byron/Cousins, Armia and Suzuki playing RW this year who sits or gets sent down to Laval, Suzuki that's who and I don't think Suzuki in Laval and Perlini playing makes us better. It doesn't make us worse for sure but why bother making a trade the doesn't make you better. The one thing I will say is IF MB does consider it and makes a trade for Perlini then 1 for 1 for Weal makes the most sense.

Perlini would potentially be the 4th line RW subbing out as a 13th forward as well. Byron and Lehkonen have been mediocre at best thus far, so I think Suzuki moves up to the 3rd line, assuming the 1st and 3nd line don't change for now. So you'd have

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Armia

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki

Byron-Thompson-Perlini

... with Cousins rotating in for Perlini, Byron, or Lehkonen. Even if Perlini is your 13th forward, he's probably a better fit here than Weal. And yes, we know the Habs want to call up Poehling, but whether they have Weal or Perlini here, they're exposing someone to waivers if they recall Poehling. Personally I would waive Folin, but if they don't want to do it, then again, it doesn't change things whether Weal or Perlini were on the roster. I don't know that Perlini works out here, but Weal hasn't, so I'd rather take a shot on someone else.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Perlini would potentially be the 4th line RW subbing out as a 13th forward as well. Byron and Lehkonen have been mediocre at best thus far, so I think Suzuki moves up to the 3rd line, assuming the 1st and 3nd line don't change for now. So you'd have

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Armia

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki

Byron-Thompson-Perlini

... with Cousins rotating in for Perlini, Byron, or Lehkonen. Even if Perlini is your 13th forward, he's probably a better fit here than Weal. And yes, we know the Habs want to call up Poehling, but whether they have Weal or Perlini here, they're exposing someone to waivers if they recall Poehling. Personally I would waive Folin, but if they don't want to do it, then again, it doesn't change things whether Weal or Perlini were on the roster. I don't know that Perlini works out here, but Weal hasn't, so I'd rather take a shot on someone else.

I don't disagree that Weal isn't working out and that Perlini may be a better option for a 13th forward. My only issue is why bother making that trade? Would CJ be willing to move Suzuki to KK's line? I highly doubt it cause every time Suzuki gets promoted this year it's been from the 4th line to the second. You would have to think that's cause CJ doesn't want the two youngest players on the same line even though they may be pretty good together. I think CJ would rather send Suzuki down then move him to KK's line. If we did do a Weal for Perlini trade I think the lines would be something more like

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Domi-Suzuki

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Byron-Thompson-Perlini/Cousins

Just so CJ could avoid having Suzuki and Kotkaniemi on the same line. Which isn't horrible but I actually like our second line as it is currently. Like you I also would like to see Folin waived even if it means losing him and recall Poehling. I think he would pass through though.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Byron and Lehkonen have been mediocre at best thus far,

You can say that again. Wow.   Thank goodness Armia & Drouin have upped their games because Lehks and Byron have looked prettty awful most nights. 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

You can say that again. Wow.   Thank goodness Armia & Drouin have upped their games because Lehks and Byron have looked prettty awful most nights. 

Lehkonen just hasn't elevated his game. He had a pretty good rookie year and then he's settled in to being a smart defensive forward who just hasn't found his offensive touch again. So I guess he's not that much worse but the expectations always felt like they should be higher.

In Byron's case, he's been bounced around the line-up, but the 4th line has gotten decent minutes and produced well for a 4th line, so I'm not sure it's a valid excuse to say you can't produce in that role this year. I almost wonder if CJ considers the Thompson line his 3rd line and the JK line the 4th line, at least in terms of how he uses them. But Byron has failed to produce or even be a factor in most games. Biggest disappointment up front for me in the early going.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Lehkonen just hasn't elevated his game. He had a pretty good rookie year and then he's settled in to being a smart defensive forward who just hasn't found his offensive touch again. So I guess he's not that much worse but the expectations always felt like they should be higher.

In Byron's case, he's been bounced around the line-up, but the 4th line has gotten decent minutes and produced well for a 4th line, so I'm not sure it's a valid excuse to say you can't produce in that role this year. I almost wonder if CJ considers the Thompson line his 3rd line and the JK line the 4th line, at least in terms of how he uses them. But Byron has failed to produce or even be a factor in most games. Biggest disappointment up front for me in the early going.

I agree about Lehkonen's offensive game but this year ive seen several really bad defensive plays for him which art totally out of character. Hopefully its a blip but its certainly a big concerning.

Totally agree with what you've said about Byron though.  Wouldnt be surprised at all to hear that MB has floated his name as part of a package in the search for a LHD. 

22 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd say yes to this idea right away if the Hawks would bite.

10 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I'd say yes to this idea right away if the Hawks would bite.

Don't have to worry about it anymore. He was traded for a Junior prospect to the Wings

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Don't have to worry about it anymore. He was traded for a Junior prospect to the Wings

Oh well... it is what it is... not a great loss in any case

Okay so I don’t often post but I’m gonna give it a go. If I were gm I would do 1 of 2 things 

1. If we are not going to contend I would trade all the vets that I could price, gally, Weber, petry, etc. As it stands we’re wasting them all, by the time our younger guys are ready to make an impact the vets won’t be.  Get as many prospects and picks as we can and look to be contenders in 3-5 years. Personally I feel it is an insult (mostly to price) to stay the path we’re on, he deserves to truly compete for a cup. 

2. (This would be my preference) trade Domi for the lhd that we desperately need and I feel we need more than Domi. Domi is skilled but he can’t control his emotions, this WILL cost us when it matters. I compare Domi to kadri, both in skill and the emotion side and ask Toronto how that turned out. He virtually cost them the playoff series 2 years in a row because he could not contain himself. 

I actually think a major trade now and small moves at the deadline could make us contend. My major trade now would be something like:

domi poelhling and a 3rd

to Anaheim for

fowler and comtois 

(or domi for Fowler straight up)

making the lines 

tatar danault gally 

comtois kotkaniemi Drouin 

lehkonen suzuki Armia 

byron cousins Thompson/weal 

Fowler petry 

Chiarot weber 

mete fleury 

price

kinkaid

as I said I don’t feel we are that far from being able to contend this move and one or two at the deadline could do it, I don’t see us getting much better. Just and idea    

If we're looking for scoring help at RW, Mikael Granlund might be an interesting option. He's on an expiring contract and it looks like it's just not working for him in Nashville, so I don't think he'd be crazy expensive to acquire. He's still relatively young and could also be re-signed for somewhat reasonable money if he pans out, looks like a potential MB target to me.

For now, that'd give us something like:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Domi - Suzuki - Granlund

Hudon - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Lehkonen - Thompson - Cousins/Weal

Once Drouin comes back, we'd certainly have additional scoring depth and line combinations to work with. I know we should go after a top 4 LHD but I don't really see it happening with MB at this point, maybe during the offseason though because I don't think Romanov is ready for NHL action yet.

MB should get a good read on Romanov on his intentions and after the world junior tournament to which he is playing in for the 2nd time after a stellar showing last year. 
If he is just so so, romanovs leverage That we need him with playing time goes down ($ is not the issue given maximum elc) 

if he doesn’t send a clear signal of wanting to play then I would go in a different direction and target a proven LD in trade or free agency and give up on the waiting 

athanasiou from detroit was the guy being pitched as a target today on 590 what do you guys think

21 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

athanasiou from detroit was the guy being pitched as a target today on 590 what do you guys think

No from me. He is good but not elite which is what we need.