H_T_L

2019-20 If i were GM

352 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If I were GM, I would be tempted to wave Weber in front of chuck Fletcher for Ghost and 11.  See if he bites.

Ghost who is maybe a 3-4 pairing guy even Philly doesn't have him very high on their depth chart and # 11 is a pick that know one knows if they may even turn out at all. Weber is a #1 D that would be a giant mistake for the HABS and if Philly was offered that they'd be stupid not to do it. Chicago got Matta for a reasonable deal and he's better or at least a more rounded defenseman than Ghost. Ghost is similar to how Beau , was, a high pick with offensive upside but defensively not so much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Ghost who is maybe a 3-4 pairing guy even Philly doesn't have him very high on their depth chart and # 11 is a pick that know one knows if they may even turn out at all. Weber is a #1 D that would be a giant mistake for the HABS and if Philly was offered that they'd be stupid not to do it. Chicago got Matta for a reasonable deal and he's better or at least a more rounded defenseman than Ghost. Ghost is similar to how Beau , was, a high pick with offensive upside but defensively not so much.

Gostisbehere and Beaulieu are not in the same class. The Flyers as a whole had an off-year last season, but Ghost is a player who put up 65 points two years ago. How many D men put up 65 points or more last year? 4. Burns, Giordano, Rielly, and Carlsson. Only Burns, Carlsson, and Klingberg out-produced Ghost in 2017-18. So he's in a pretty decent class of player in terms of what he's capable of offensively. Beaulieu was never anywhere close to that.

Now do I get your point about Weber being valuable as a trade asset? Yes. But not sure Ghost is as pedestrian as you're making him out to be.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would begin by burying three players in the minors. Karl Alzner, Nicolas Deslauriers, and Dale Weise. As far as I understand, combined, they would count as $4.825 million against our cap after demotion (AAV - [league minimum salary + $375,000]). We save $3.100 million against our cap.

I would resign Joel Armia and Artturi Lehkonen. My offer to Lehkoen would be four years at $3.000 million per season. My offer to Armia would be two years at $2.100 million per season. I would not resign Charles Hudon. I would not resign Mike Reilly.

An openly reported possibility for Montreal is the acquisition of Shayne Gostisbehere from Philadelphia. Players rumored to be involved have included Andrew Shaw and Paul Byron. I would take this opportunity to trade Andrew Shaw, whose value I believe to be at an all-time high since joining Montreal. Montreal acquires Shayne Gostisbehere ($4.500 million) and Philadelphia acquires Andrew Shaw ($3.900 million), Noah Juulsen ($0.863 million), and Montreal's fourth round draft choice in the upcoming entry draft.

I do not believe Charlie Lindgren, Cayden Primeau, or Michael McNiven will be prepared to back-up Carey Price during the 2019-2020 season. For that reason I would sign free agent goaltender Curtis McElhinney (assuming Carolina doesn't resign him) a one year deal worth $2 million. I would possibly look to deal Charlie Lindgren.

And... for a little video game fantasy. :D I would offer Artemi Panarin a seven year contract worth $9.500 per season. And he would sign... because he loves Montreal... or something! Forget about Florida!

FORWARDS: Artemi Panarin ($9.500), Jonathan Drouin ($5.500), Tomas Tatar ($4.800), Brendan Gallagher ($3.750), Paul Byron ($3.400), Max Domi ($3.150), Phillip Danault ($3.083), Artturi Lehkonen ($3.000), Joel Armia ($2.100), Jordan Weal ($1.400), Matthew Peca ($1.300), Nate Thompson ($1.000), Jesperi Kotkaniemi ($0.925), Ryan Poehling ($0.925); DEFENSE: Shea Weber ($7.857), Jeff Petry ($5.500), Shayne Gostisbehere ($4.500), Brett Kulak ($1.850), Christian Folin ($0.800), Victor Mete ($0.748); GOALTENDERS: Carey Price ($10.500), Curtis McElhinney ($2.000)

TOTAL CAP (INCLUDING BURIED AND BOUGHT OUT CONTRACTS): $83.780 million. So... cutting it close! Probably need to skim another million somewhere!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about it ... We don't want to improve by trade and give up prospects.   We don't have a lot of forward talent I'd be willing to trade beyond our bottom 6 (Shaw, Byron come to mind).    So we either improve LD via project (prospect, draft choice) or UFA ... and as much as he might be a defensive issue, Gardiner might just fit the bill.   Right now he's on a 4m cap hit, so offering him 6-7m, we still have cap space etc and maybe just maybe Weber's defensive prowess covers Gardiner's issues and allows Gardiner to focus on the offensive game.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

The more I think about it ... We don't want to improve by trade and give up prospects.   We don't have a lot of forward talent I'd be willing to trade beyond our bottom 6 (Shaw, Byron come to mind).    So we either improve LD via project (prospect, draft choice) or UFA ... and as much as he might be a defensive issue, Gardiner might just fit the bill.   Right now he's on a 4m cap hit, so offering him 6-7m, we still have cap space etc and maybe just maybe Weber's defensive prowess covers Gardiner's issues and allows Gardiner to focus on the offensive game.

There was an interesting article (on HEOTP i believe) where they showed with advanced stats that Gardiner's defensive game a) has been overblown and b ) is largely tied to his partner.  When he's played with someone that was not a pylon he did fine.  When he played with defensively bad players, he himself did awful.   So you have to wonder if playing next to Weber would work. 

Im sure the team is exploring the option.   Really interested to see what happens in the next couple of weeks. 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would begin by burying three players in the minors. Karl Alzner, Nicolas Deslauriers, and Dale Weise. As far as I understand, combined, they would count as $4.825 million against our cap after demotion (AAV - [league minimum salary + $375,000]). We save $3.100 million against our cap.

I would resign Joel Armia and Artturi Lehkonen. My offer to Lehkoen would be four years at $3.000 million per season. My offer to Armia would be two years at $2.100 million per season. I would not resign Charles Hudon. I would not resign Mike Reilly.

An openly reported possibility for Montreal is the acquisition of Shayne Gostisbehere from Philadelphia. Players rumored to be involved have included Andrew Shaw and Paul Byron. I would take this opportunity to trade Andrew Shaw, whose value I believe to be at an all-time high since joining Montreal. Montreal acquires Shayne Gostisbehere ($4.500 million) and Philadelphia acquires Andrew Shaw ($3.900 million), Noah Juulsen ($0.863 million), and Montreal's fourth round draft choice in the upcoming entry draft.

I do not believe Charlie Lindgren, Cayden Primeau, or Michael McNiven will be prepared to back-up Carey Price during the 2019-2020 season. For that reason I would sign free agent goaltender Curtis McElhinney (assuming Carolina doesn't resign him) a one year deal worth $2 million. I would possibly look to deal Charlie Lindgren.

And... for a little video game fantasy. :D I would offer Artemi Panarin a seven year contract worth $9.500 per season. And he would sign... because he loves Montreal... or something! Forget about Florida!

FORWARDS: Artemi Panarin ($9.500), Jonathan Drouin ($5.500), Tomas Tatar ($4.800), Brendan Gallagher ($3.750), Paul Byron ($3.400), Max Domi ($3.150), Phillip Danault ($3.083), Artturi Lehkonen ($3.000), Joel Armia ($2.100), Jordan Weal ($1.400), Matthew Peca ($1.300), Nate Thompson ($1.000), Jesperi Kotkaniemi ($0.925), Ryan Poehling ($0.925); DEFENSE: Shea Weber ($7.857), Jeff Petry ($5.500), Shayne Gostisbehere ($4.500), Brett Kulak ($1.850), Christian Folin ($0.800), Victor Mete ($0.748); GOALTENDERS: Carey Price ($10.500), Curtis McElhinney ($2.000)

TOTAL CAP (INCLUDING BURIED AND BOUGHT OUT CONTRACTS): $83.780 million. So... cutting it close! Probably need to skim another million somewhere!

Article at TSN today reports the cap may not reach 82 mil. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Article at TSN today reports the cap may not reach 82 mil. 

thats good for habs. Could keep us out of free agency and more teams needing to shed cap space! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Article at TSN today reports the cap may not reach 82 mil. 

Well. I guess I would have to scrap my plan to sign Artemi Panarin to that $9.5 million deal.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Well. I guess I would have to scrap my plan to sign Artemi Panarin to that $9.5 million deal.

I think if he came, youd find a way to make it work. ;)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

There was an interesting article (on HEOTP i believe) where they showed with advanced stats that Gardiner's defensive game a) has been overblown and b ) is largely tied to his partner.  When he's played with someone that was not a pylon he did fine.  When he played with defensively bad players, he himself did awful.   So you have to wonder if playing next to Weber would work. 

Im sure the team is exploring the option.   Really interested to see what happens in the next couple of weeks. 

 

 

I'm ok with a Gardner signing for Jeff Petry money.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH I would have Drouin on the trade block ASAP. First off he has a crap attitude, he is all about himself.  The habs are a hard working team not scared to go in the corners and skate their butts off,  JD is the exception never seems to skate hard.  Has a cap friendly contract time to move him.

Shaw's value has never been higher so move him while we can get max value, he is just too injury prone and will only get worse due to his play style and age.  Ohh and he lives not far from me and is a douche LOL

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Gostisbehere and Beaulieu are not in the same class. The Flyers as a whole had an off-year last season, but Ghost is a player who put up 65 points two years ago. How many D men put up 65 points or more last year? 4. Burns, Giordano, Rielly, and Carlsson. Only Burns, Carlsson, and Klingberg out-produced Ghost in 2017-18. So he's in a pretty decent class of player in terms of what he's capable of offensively. Beaulieu was never anywhere close to that.

Now do I get your point about Weber being valuable as a trade asset? Yes. But not sure Ghost is as pedestrian as you're making him out to be.

I've never thought of Ghost as a pedestrian just to much of a one dimensional defenseman. A #1-2 pairing should be someone you can use in all situations and is as strong defensively as the offense they bring. He has had one strong offensive season and at 65 points now Philly has him far enough down on their own depth chart that they're willing to part with him? The other players as comparable have had several seasons of the same or higher. I think ghost could be a good addition I just think he's over valued by some and if Shaw or Byron is all Philly is asking they may think so also. I definitely wouldn't add anything to Shaw or Byron for Ghost. If he was paired with Weber even strength PP he may look good and work out. If he didn't improve on his defensive side of his game then Jullien may have issues playing him a lot other than PP and then it wouldn't be worth it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I've never thought of Ghost as a pedestrian just to much of a one dimensional defenseman. A #1-2 pairing should be someone you can use in all situations and is as strong defensively as the offense they bring. He has had one strong offensive season and at 65 points now Philly has him far enough down on their own depth chart that they're willing to part with him? The other players as comparable have had several seasons of the same or higher. I think ghost could be a good addition I just think he's over valued by some and if Shaw or Byron is all Philly is asking they may think so also. I definitely wouldn't add anything to Shaw or Byron for Ghost. If he was paired with Weber even strength PP he may look good and work out. If he didn't improve on his defensive side of his game then Jullien may have issues playing him a lot other than PP and then it wouldn't be worth it.

LIke you Im not sure if he'd work out but Id be willing to give it a try.

I do disagree about your "one good year" statement though.    First full year he had 46 points in 64 games (including 17g),   Then he had 39 points in 76 games (sure, a step back but still solid numbers for a defensman).   Third year was 65 points in 78 games (another stellar year) and then last year he fell back to 37 points in 78 games.  

Thats 2 outstanding years and 2 solid years from a scoring standpoint as a defensman.   Even last year in a "down" year he ranked in the top 40 of Defensmen scoring.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

LIke you Im not sure if he'd work out but Id be willing to give it a try.

I do disagree about your "one good year" statement though.    First full year he had 46 points in 64 games (including 17g),   Then he had 39 points in 76 games (sure, a step back but still solid numbers for a defensman).   Third year was 65 points in 78 games (another stellar year) and then last year he fell back to 37 points in 78 games.  

Thats 2 outstanding years and 2 solid years from a scoring standpoint as a defensman.   Even last year in a "down" year he ranked in the top 40 of Defensmen scoring.

 

Yeah, I think Ghost could be a good fit as our offensive defencemen ... however, I don't like the idea of giving up solid prospects to get him.   Shaw or Byron and draft picks sure ... but nobody else.    Earlier I brought up Gardiner who I originally thought "hell no" ... but more I analyze it, the more I want to see us steal him from the Laughs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, maas_art said:

LIke you Im not sure if he'd work out but Id be willing to give it a try.

I do disagree about your "one good year" statement though.    First full year he had 46 points in 64 games (including 17g),   Then he had 39 points in 76 games (sure, a step back but still solid numbers for a defensman).   Third year was 65 points in 78 games (another stellar year) and then last year he fell back to 37 points in 78 games.  

Thats 2 outstanding years and 2 solid years from a scoring standpoint as a defensman.   Even last year in a "down" year he ranked in the top 40 of Defensmen scoring.

 

He was also -20 last year , if we are looking for just an offensive d man maybe a pp specialist he could be could I just wouldn't over pay for him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I'm ok with a Gardner signing for Jeff Petry money.

I'm not. At best he's a #5 D-man and I think that's being generous.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

TBH I would have Drouin on the trade block ASAP. First off he has a crap attitude, he is all about himself.  The habs are a hard working team not scared to go in the corners and skate their butts off,  JD is the exception never seems to skate hard.  Has a cap friendly contract time to move him.

Shaw's value has never been higher so move him while we can get max value, he is just too injury prone and will only get worse due to his play style and age.  Ohh and he lives not far from me and is a douche LOL

With every free agent signing, I'd be more inclined to keep Drouin around at $5.5 million per season. Philadelphia just signed Kevin Hayes to what I consider to be a dumb, dumb contract.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

With every free agent signing, I'd be more inclined to keep Drouin around at $5.5 million per season. Philadelphia just signed Kevin Hayes to what I consider to be a dumb, dumb contract.

That's a pretty good point.  That's a cost certain, 50 point producer.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

That's a pretty good point.  That's a cost certain, 50 point producer.  

Yeah... The way things are going, fair value for Drouin in a few seasons is going to be something ridiculous, like, $7-8 million. I'll keep a 50+ point producer for $5.5 million thank you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone suppose Colorado could, in some way, make a decent trading partner for us? I can't really see any options. But they just seem compelling because they have so much cap space. The only major contract they need to get completed is Mikko Rantanen, I guess. I imagine they might be quite active in the coming weeks. Five picks in the first three round of the draft, including two in the first round, are nice chips to have as well. Probably an exciting summer to be a Colorado fan.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I'm not. At best he's a #5 D-man and I think that's being generous.

Gardiner over his career averages 40pts a season, 40-50 in the last 2-3.     That puts him in the top 30 for offense by a D.   If he'd stayed healthy and wasn't pushed down the roster by Morgan Reilly, he'd likely have paced for 50 pts this year, which would have put him in the top 20.

While he's not elite, I'd rank more of a 2-3 guy.   Pair him with Weber and let him focus on offense and transition and he may get 50-60 pts.    I'd be willing to give him 4-5 years @ 6-7m a year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

With every free agent signing, I'd be more inclined to keep Drouin around at $5.5 million per season. Philadelphia just signed Kevin Hayes to what I consider to be a dumb, dumb contract.

Yeah.  Drouin is frustrating because with his skills he *should* be able to hit 70-80+ points if he had the consistent effort.  He's easily the most talented forward we've had since Kovalev & has game-breaking talent but he just floats around out there most of the time.   That said, he's providing decent value.  Its not like he's getting paid like a 90 point player. In today's NHL he's pretty decent value.   Id still trade him if the return was a true top 2 dman but thats it.  Im not looking to "unload" him by any means.  

 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Does anyone suppose Colorado could, in some way, make a decent trading partner for us? I can't really see any options. But they just seem compelling because they have so much cap space. The only major contract they need to get completed is Mikko Rantanen, I guess. I imagine they might be quite active in the coming weeks. Five picks in the first three round of the draft, including two in the first round, are nice chips to have as well. Probably an exciting summer to be a Colorado fan.

Tough to say.  To me, the best trading partners are teams on a different cycle of their winning window.   Colorado is probably looking for most of the same stuff we are tbh.

 

56 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Gardiner over his career averages 40pts a season, 40-50 in the last 2-3.     That puts him in the top 30 for offense by a D.   If he'd stayed healthy and wasn't pushed down the roster by Morgan Reilly, he'd likely have paced for 50 pts this year, which would have put him in the top 20.

While he's not elite, I'd rank more of a 2-3 guy.   Pair him with Weber and let him focus on offense and transition and he may get 50-60 pts.    I'd be willing to give him 4-5 years @ 6-7m a year.

Yeah, I think he's better than many think but id be worried giving him more than $5m a year. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

 

Yeah, I think he's better than many think but id be worried giving him more than $5m a year. 

He might go for 5 from a team, but he's making 4 right now ... so I can see him wanting 6 ... I'm ok with 6-7.  Habs are a Canadian team ... to get a UFA that'd command say 5-6 in NY, you'll have to pay them 6-7

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah... The way things are going, fair value for Drouin in a few seasons is going to be something ridiculous, like, $7-8 million. I'll keep a 50+ point producer for $5.5 million thank you.

I agree with your thinking, but TBH I would like to see Drouin moved and break the bank wide open and go for a Panarin.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I agree with your thinking, but TBH I would like to see Drouin moved and break the bank wide open and go for a Panarin.  

Would love to have Panarin. And he's one of the few I would indeed break the bank for. I don't know if that means we'd have to sacrifice Drouin to do so. But I do see your rationale.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.