H_T_L

2019-20 If i were GM

352 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Do you take a shot at Corey Perry on a cap friendly deal for say 1 year?

Depending on the price, I think he could certainly add some much needed veteran leadership to the forwards. Much like Weber does for the D, but I certainly wouldn't go over 5 per for him

8 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Depending on the price, I think he could certainly add some much needed veteran leadership to the forwards. Much like Weber does for the D, but I certainly wouldn't go over 5 per for him

When it comes to one year deals i dont care about the cap hit but i really dont think we need him

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

When it comes to one year deals i dont care about the cap hit but i really dont think we need him

Yeah I agree.  I feel like he could still be useful but with our glut of forwards there's just no point.  He'd slot below Gallagher on the RW depth chart and possibly behind Shaw at this stage of his career.   Worst of all is that he could mean that Suzuki doesnt get a fair shot at getting one of those top 3 RW slots.

I think if we had room Id be fine with it but based on our current situation, Id pass. 

I also say "pass" on Corey Perry.

But it worries me. He seems like someone Bergevin would covet.

I think Perry would be a great fit, we need a player that will get in front of the net and get the dirty goals.  The only net presence we currently have is Gally, and that showed on our PP as the second unit was horrible.  If we could sign him for 5 mil per I think it would do us wonders

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

I think Perry would be a great fit, we need a player that will get in front of the net and get the dirty goals.  The only net presence we currently have is Gally, and that showed on our PP as the second unit was horrible.  If we could sign him for 5 mil per I think it would do us wonders

I think Shaw can do that same job. What would be good about Perry is he does have size which can help depending on the team you are playing against and in the playoffs.

Just now, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

With Shaw gone, I would give Perry a serious look. Can’t hurt

He's already signed a 1-year deal with Dallas.

20 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

He's already signed a 1-year deal with Dallas.

Ahha oh snap! Totally missed that one :P

13 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Ahha oh snap! Totally missed that one :P

I want Gardiner (at right price but im willing to go up 7 million, i think 6 would be fair), in terms of a secondary guy, I would go after Justin Williams if he doesn't retire

Always open to trades but hard to know who is available

Edited by habsisme

With Plan A seemingly blown away by the Hurricanes my plan be would be: Sign Caufield to his ELC with an invite to camp but having the intention of sending him to the Rocket. Give Suzuki and KK a serious look in the top 6. Try and make a trade for any of the number of LHD previously mentioned on this site and try to talk Wandell into not matching using guys like Byron and Drouin.

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

With Plan A seemingly blown away by the Hurricanes my plan be would be: Sign Caufield to his ELC with an invite to camp but having the intention of sending him to the Rocket. Give Suzuki and KK a serious look in the top 6. Try and make a trade for any of the number of LHD previously mentioned on this site and try to talk Wandell into not matching using guys like Byron and Drouin.

Caufield can't play in the AHL. He would either go to college and no be able to even come to camp, or come to camp (play upto 9 games i think, might be 10 or 11) and then stay in NHL or be sent to juniors. 

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I want Gardiner (at right price but im willing to go up 7 million, i think 6 would be fair), in terms of a secondary guy, I would go after Justin Williams if he doesn't retire

Always open to trades but hard to know who is available

The biggest concern to me about Gardiner is term.  I could see paying $6-7m a season but i dont want a longer deal than like 4 years (ideally even less).   I genuinely feel like next to Weber he'd be quite good.  There have been a number of articles that show he really is not bad defensively when paired with a halfway decent partner. The leafs' d was just so bad that he was always asked to carry a pair & he's not good enough to do that.  Reminds a lot of Petry. Pair him with someone halfway decent & he's a borderline top pairing guy. Play with him with an anchor and he sinks. 

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Caulfield really gets to decide what he does but honestly if we arent playing him in the NHL Im pretty sure he's going to Uni.   He is the (rare) AHL-eligable 18 year old since he was drafted out of the US program but I think its 50/50 that he decides to go to Uni or stays with the Bigs.   At least if he does stay with us he can be sent to Laval vs. CHL prospects who have to go back to Junior. 

Just now, habsisme said:

Caufield can't play in the AHL. He would either go to college and no be able to even come to camp, or come to camp (play upto 9 games i think, might be 10 or 11) and then stay in NHL or be sent to juniors. 

Not true.  He's AHL eligible because he was drafted out of the US junior program.   Its rare but he is able to play in the AHL - assuming he doesnt choose NCAA - because if he goes back to UNi he's gone for the year. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Not true.  He's AHL eligible because he was drafted out of the US junior program.   Its rare but he is able to play in the AHL - assuming he doesnt choose NCAA - because if he goes back to UNi he's gone for the year. 

oh wow that's awesome

well it seems like MB wants him to go to college and Caufield feels like he's ready to play. I can't blame him for thinking that, I'm not betting on it but i wouldn't be shocked if he were ready

37 minutes ago, habsisme said:

oh wow that's awesome

well it seems like MB wants him to go to college and Caufield feels like he's ready to play. I can't blame him for thinking that, I'm not betting on it but i wouldn't be shocked if he were ready

I'd like to see him get 9 games if he shines in camp. 

19 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

If he commits to Wisconsin, he's not allowed to attend camp.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

"If" ,,,,,,,,the operative word. He did say he wants the shortest route to the NHL. 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

oh wow that's awesome

42 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

22 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, he's said a couple of things that make me feel like he wants to choose the NHL over the NCAA but if the coaches dont feel he's ready I suspect they will tell him to go to uni.  No reason to rush it if he isnt going to play top 6 minutes.  I have no idea how ready he is.  Sure he looks it but against men? No idea.   

The nice thing is that we're finally at a point where i dont think we're going to rush our prospects.  There've been quite a few over the years who you look back on now & wonder "could they have had better careers?" if they had been given a chance to build a better foundation? 

16 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

"If" ,,,,,,,,the operative word. He did say he wants the shortest route to the NHL. 

As it stands right now he is committed to University but IF he signs an ELC that voids his letter of intent. Then he has 3 paths 1. Back to Junior where I believe the Greyhounds own his rights. 2. AHL in Laval or 3. Habs. If he chooses university he is ineligible to participate in any on or off ice activities with any organization outside of the NCAA. If MB presented him with an ELC he for sure would sign as he just wants the shortest route to the NHL. His words not mine LOL 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, he's said a couple of things that make me feel like he wants to choose the NHL over the NCAA but if the coaches dont feel he's ready I suspect they will tell him to go to uni.  No reason to rush it if he isnt going to play top 6 minutes.  I have no idea how ready he is.  Sure he looks it but against men? No idea.   

The nice thing is that we're finally at a point where i dont think we're going to rush our prospects.  There've been quite a few over the years who you look back on now & wonder "could they have had better careers?" if they had been given a chance to build a better foundation? 

The real question for me development wise is does Tony Granato in Wisconsin present a better opportunity for growth or Bouchard in Laval personally I would say Laval both get him playing against men but the AHL is the AHL second only to the NHL in North America and former or future NHLers play there. That would be my thought but then as a GM you also have to think about the fact that if we Sign him this year and he goes to the AHL does that burn his 2 years off his contract for the ED if so I can see sending him to uni so we don't have to protect him too cause as I understand it the draft is open to all pro players either in the NHL or AHL who have more than 2 years experience.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that he'll have to make his decision ahead of camp... either he commits to Wisconsin this summer, in which case he can't attend camp OR he reneges on going to Wisconsin, comes to camp, and then you need to decide if he plays in the NHL, AHL, or juniors (or Europe)... he can't continue to agree to go to Wisconsin and then take time off to come to camp as far as I know. No professional activities while you are an enrolled student athlete.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that he'll have to make his decision ahead of camp... either he commits to Wisconsin this summer, in which case he can't attend camp OR he reneges on going to Wisconsin, comes to camp, and then you need to decide if he plays in the NHL, AHL, or juniors (or Europe)... he can't continue to agree to go to Wisconsin and then take time off to come to camp as far as I know. No professional activities while you are an enrolled student athlete.

I don't think he can wait that long if I had to guess I word say there is a deadline to notify the NCAA that your withdrawing not sure though

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't think he can wait that long if I had to guess I word say there is a deadline to notify the NCAA that your withdrawing not sure though

Yeah, that's what I'm saying... either he is going to Wisconsin OR he comes to camp and has a chance of getting a 9-game stint. I'm saying that what kinot suggested wouldn't be possible. He can't come to camp, get a 9-game tryout if he does well and then go back to Wisconsin afterwards. Once he's turned pro, he's no longer eligible to go back to play in the NCAA.