H_T_L

2019-20 If i were GM

352 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying... either he is going to Wisconsin OR he comes to camp and has a chance of getting a 9-game stint. I'm saying that what kinot suggested wouldn't be possible. He can't come to camp, get a 9-game tryout if he does well and then go back to Wisconsin afterwards. Once he's turned pro, he's no longer eligible to go back to play in the NCAA.

Yeah I was agreeing with you LOL 

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying... either he is going to Wisconsin OR he comes to camp and has a chance of getting a 9-game stint. I'm saying that what kinot suggested wouldn't be possible. He can't come to camp, get a 9-game tryout if he does well and then go back to Wisconsin afterwards. Once he's turned pro, he's no longer eligible to go back to play in the NCAA.

But he "could" go to Laval. :)

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

Totally

33 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

But he can only go to Laval if he opts out of Wisconsin... Laval is still pro. So he would have to decide NOW that he is not going to Wisconsin. Then he could come to camp, have a 9-game tryout and then go back to Laval after, yes. But he can't do any of that if he starts at Wisconsin.

13 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

But he can only go to Laval if he opts out of Wisconsin... Laval is still pro. So he would have to decide NOW that he is not going to Wisconsin. Then he could come to camp, have a 9-game tryout and then go back to Laval after, yes. But he can't do any of that if he starts at Wisconsin.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Off topic I know but you guys should check out the Ducks board it's funny to see how pissed they are for giving us a 4th for DLO one guy though is actually trying to defend it said DLO has good speed and in junior had great hands could be a 3rd liner but will be at least a 4th LMAO 

Edited by campabee82

31 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

does he HAVE to go to Laval? Or do we still have the option of sending him to the minors?

I'd like him to come to camp and just see what he can do but dont want to risk hurting his development 

Just now, campabee82 said:

Off topic I know but you guys should check out the Ducks board it's funny to see how pissed they are for giving us a 4th for DLO on guy actually trying to defend it said DLO has good speed and in junior had great hands could be a 3rd liner but will be at least a 4th LMAO 

lol i really don't understand these deals sometimes. a 6th or 7th maybe, but hey good for us

16 minutes ago, habsisme said:

does he HAVE to go to Laval? Or do we still have the option of sending him to the minors?

I'd like him to come to camp and just see what he can do but dont want to risk hurting his development 

If he signs an ELC I believe he has the option of going to the CHL to whatever team holds his rights not sure though. 

32 minutes ago, habsisme said:

15 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

If he signs an ELC I believe he has the option of going to the CHL to whatever team holds his rights not sure though. 

From what I've seen media people explain, he could sign with a junior team if he wanted, yes. Not sure that's a good option for him though. If he wasn't going to be in the NHL/AHL, I'd rather he go to college than junior. Wisconsin is supposed to have a stacked team next year and he'll play older competition there... he needs to spend more time playing against bigger guys, not 16 year olds in junior. We know he can score, now he needs to work on maintaining his prowess while playing bigger, stronger guys.

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

From what I've seen media people explain, he could sign with a junior team if he wanted, yes. Not sure that's a good option for him though. If he wasn't going to be in the NHL/AHL, I'd rather he go to college than junior. Wisconsin is supposed to have a stacked team next year and he'll play older competition there... he needs to spend more time playing against bigger guys, not 16 year olds in junior. We know he can score, now he needs to work on maintaining his prowess while playing bigger, stronger guys.

This 
I think it really comes down to NHL vs NCAA.   if he chooses NHL (and the team thinks he's ready) at least there's a fall back to play AHL if he's having trouble.  I cant see any reason why junior would be a good option unless he needed a confidence boost or something but that doesnt seem like a problem for this kid. 

15 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

yeah i think the best route is having him play college a year or two

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

yeah i think the best route is having him play college a year or two

I would rather see him in Laval, Bouchard is fantastic with prospects he can help teach Caufield the defensive side while still playing against NHL quality players. I don't have any problem with the NCAA but they just don't have the same quality of players the AHL does.

Wonder if the Avs would consider a Danault for Byram trade they need help Don the middle and we need LHD. It may not put us over the top this year but we have so much depth down the middle we can sacrifice some to fill the LHD. Byram was considered to be NHL ready going into the draft and is a clear top pairing guy which we desperately need. Danault would be their 3rd line center which they desperately need as well. I think something like this would make sense for both sides.

Edited by campabee82

43 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Wonder if the Avs would consider a Danault for Byram trade they need help Don the middle and we need LHD. It may not put us over the top this year but we have so much depth down the middle we can sacrifice some to fill the LHD. Byram was considered to be NHL ready going into the draft and is a clear top pairing guy which we desperately need. Danault would be their 3rd line center which they desperately need as well. I think something like this would make sense for both sides.

Unfortunately I don’t think they would go for that one. Girard on the other hand, just maybe. And that wouldn’t be a bad idea, kick the tires around Girard, see if there’s any room there.

I'd keep an eye on Milano (Columbus 1st round pick) and Greer (Colorado 2nd round pick). After their arrest yesterday they may be available for a sixth or seventh round pick. I think  their home teams will be open to moving the players. 

2 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I'd keep an eye on Milano (Columbus 1st round pick) and Greer (Colorado 2nd round pick). After their arrest yesterday they may be available for a sixth or seventh round pick. I think  their home teams will be open to moving the players. 

they're both shitty players, and imagine what they'd do here (in the original sin city) when everyone knows who they are and girls are throwing themselves at them. No thank you!

Since MB has already tarnished his name with other GM's because of the Aho offer sheet, he may find it hard to find a trade partner. That said, IMO it them becomes reasonable that he should offer sheet someone else... be that Laine or Connor or someone else

26 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Since MB has already tarnished his name with other GM's because of the Aho offer sheet, he may find it hard to find a trade partner. That said, IMO it them becomes reasonable that he should offer sheet someone else... be that Laine or Connor or someone else

I think the idea that Bergevin has tarnished his reputation might be false. I'm doubtful anyone would have an issue dealing with Bergevin except for Carolina. He signed Aho to an offer sheet. Sure, it doesn't happen very often. But I doubt the GMs around the league really care that much.

I think Vegas could make an attractive trade partner. They're about $2.6 million over the cap right now and still need to add 1-2 defenders to the ranks before beginning next season. They also have RFA Nikita Gusev unsigned. Does anyone know if he filed for salary arbitration? Maybe he will just stay in Russia? Someone like Alex Tuch or Cody Eakin could be interesting, while also helping Vegas relieve some cap tension.

53 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think the idea that Bergevin has tarnished his reputation might be false. I'm doubtful anyone would have an issue dealing with Bergevin except for Carolina. He signed Aho to an offer sheet. Sure, it doesn't happen very often. But I doubt the GMs around the league really care that much.

agreed.  the other thing is that it was a pretty easily match-able offer sheet. Its not like the monster deal  philly tried with Weber or the total over-payment of Edmonton & Dustin Penner (which had repercussions on other RFA who then wanted more from their teams).  If we had gone in & offer-sheeted $12m a year i could see teams being pissed but for a pretty reasonable capt hit?  I doubt anyone really cares (and most are probably thinking "did he really think they werent going to match?")

39 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think Vegas could make an attractive trade partner. They're about $2.6 million over the cap right now and still need to add 1-2 defenders to the ranks before beginning next season. They also have RFA Nikita Gusev unsigned. Does anyone know if he filed for salary arbitration? Maybe he will just stay in Russia? Someone like Alex Tuch or Cody Eakin could be interesting, while also helping Vegas relieve some cap tension.

Nope, only Pk's brother Malcolm filed for Arbitration with the knights. 

There's some interesting options in Vegas although we're' getting a little close to the salary cap to be taking on big contracts without having some go the other way... 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

There's some interesting options in Vegas although we're' getting a little close to the salary cap to be taking on big contracts without having some go the other way... 

I believe Vegas actually has 5 million in cap space because of the Clarkson contract. I'm pretty sure IR contracts remain on the cap during off-season

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah,,,, that plus the fact we have way too many eligible roster bodies at this time. Add in the kids looking to make the team and we have a lot of decisions to make.

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

agreed.  the other thing is that it was a pretty easily match-able offer sheet. Its not like the monster deal  philly tried with Weber or the total over-payment of Edmonton & Dustin Penner (which had repercussions on other RFA who then wanted more from their teams).  If we had gone in & offer-sheeted $12m a year i could see teams being pissed but for a pretty reasonable capt hit?  I doubt anyone really cares (and most are probably thinking "did he really think they werent going to match?")

Yeah, I think the only way you get a top-tier player (1st line forward, top pairing defender) through the offer sheet would be to have the deal be A] an over-payment, and B] make it so that the compensation is four first round draft choices. Bergevin's offer was... ahem... interesting, but was ever-destined for failure once everyone realized Dundon is still worth a ton of money even if he has lost some through poor investments.

Edited by jennifer_rocket