H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,639 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Three-year entry-level contract for Romanov. Not sure on any other details.

 I can't imagine the second guessing if he didn't sign ….an important piece of the LHD  puzzle going forward ….there might be a good chance Kovalchuk re-signs now as long as it's not ridiculous coin 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

 I can't imagine the second guessing if he didn't sign ….an important piece of the LHD  puzzle going forward ….there might be a good chance Kovalchuk re-signs now as long as it's not ridiculous coin 

I was kind of thinking the same thing, he would be good to have around for the kid as he get used to life on this side of the pond.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 0:42 PM, habs1952 said:

I would not be surprised. Do you think Carey Price is doing cartwheels because he's still a Hab? 

I think Price is counting his money from that absurd contract.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

I think Price is counting his money from that absurd contract.

  all the contracts 10 million and above are in absurd contract territory...for that matter  those above 2 million too ...it's a ridiculous amount of guaranteed money to play hockey..or any sport …it will never translate to lower ticket prices for the fan in this or any other universe ....even at his salary there would be teams willing to put Price in their uniform  in a New York minute ...it's also ridiculous for the owners to try to salvage the season at this point ...there isn't going to be a stadium anywhere that will pack in people in today's environment unless they don't care about causing more deaths ...so , if responsibility is the answer , it's a play without fans proposition and TV revenues for the owners ...to me it just sounds greedy and desperate ...write the season off and go back when it's safe for everyone …whenever that will be 

......sorry millionaires and billionaires 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypothetical: If Price was a free agent and Tuukka Rask retired would Price sign for 5 years at $10mil/yr with the Habs or would he sign for 5 years at $8mil/yr with the Bruins? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Hypothetical: If Price was a free agent and Tuukka Rask retired would Price sign for 5 years at $10mil/yr with the Habs or would he sign for 5 years at $8mil/yr with the Bruins? 

sounds like a hypothetical question a Bruins fan would pose ….however If he were to go anywhere my thought is it would  be to the Canucks or Seattle ...he's made more than enough money already .. mom and dad are ageing and the grand kids are growing up and I don't think he has any interest in Beantown or their fans anyway ...he is a Hab after all 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Habs have signed Cam Hillis to an ELC. Bergevin had previously said he was likely to sign only one of Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, and Houde, so odds are slim for the other three of getting a contract now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Habs have signed Cam Hillis to an ELC. Bergevin had previously said he was likely to sign only one of Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, and Houde, so odds are slim for the other three of getting a contract now.and he was impressive 

  of the four Montreal probably thought he was the most complete player ...saw him last year and he was impressive enough at both ends 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 7:48 PM, BigTed3 said:

Habs have signed Cam Hillis to an ELC. Bergevin had previously said he was likely to sign only one of Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, and Houde, so odds are slim for the other three of getting a contract now.

If you’re not a 1-3 round pick, you better have a pretty good progression in the year after your draft and the year after. McShane had only minor progression- Fonstad and Houde did squat so none of them warranted any contract. If you’re a round 1-3 pick teams can accept a minor setback in one of the two post-draft years since you have a body of work

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 1:23 PM, claremont said:

If you’re not a 1-3 round pick, you better have a pretty good progression in the year after your draft and the year after. McShane had only minor progression- Fonstad and Houde did squat so none of them warranted any contract. If you’re a round 1-3 pick teams can accept a minor setback in one of the two post-draft years since you have a body of work

Agreed. I'm not losing any sleep over losing out on Houde or Fonstad. Neither one has impressed me that much. McShane has been up and down but has had some good stretches. Has maybe a better shot than the other two of having a professional career, but I doubt he becomes a top 6-9 player and is likely replaceable in the system.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypothetically speaking, just because it's apparently being discussed: The playoffs start with 24 teams, including our Habs. Yay or Nay?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Hypothetically speaking, just because it's apparently being discussed: The playoffs start with 24 teams, including our Habs. Yay or Nay?

It would depend on the PO format. Possibly a tournament where it's lose and go home, or maybe a best of 3. Either way, I'll watch. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Hypothetically speaking, just because it's apparently being discussed: The playoffs start with 24 teams, including our Habs. Yay or Nay?

I still have a hard time believing it will actually happen but yes, if they do go forward, im definitely watching.

This is the sort of 'dream scenario' that a team like ours could possibly benefit from. Guys like Price and Weber and Petry have just had months of rest and could show flashes of their old selves.   Sure, every team will be (mostly) injury free, but i could see us actually winning a round or two with a little luck.  

Down side of course is that pick, which could go from top 7 to 20th with just a few playoff games won. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I still have a hard time believing it will actually happen but yes, if they do go forward, im definitely watching.

This is the sort of 'dream scenario' that a team like ours could possibly benefit from. Guys like Price and Weber and Petry have just had months of rest and could show flashes of their old selves.   Sure, every team will be (mostly) injury free, but i could see us actually winning a round or two with a little luck.  

Down side of course is that pick, which could go from top 7 to 20th with just a few playoff games won. 

    This doesn't make any sense to me ….there will be a 2nd wave hitting the States and you can't trust that arenas won't have staff that are / were or / will be contagious whether they show symptoms or not ..this is risky for the players and franchises  ...of course this makes sense to Bettman and crew because big bucks are on the line ...Best case scenario is Montreal keeps 8th pick and maybe gets lucky and moves up and the Cap either stays the same or even goes down ...in both cases we're ok 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Hypothetically speaking, just because it's apparently being discussed: The playoffs start with 24 teams, including our Habs. Yay or Nay?

Thumbs down for me. I'd rather they keep the lottery the original way and give us a shot at #1 overall than get into the playoffs as the 24 seed and lose our draft position. The only upside to getting in is that it would likely be a complete crapshoot as to who advances... players will take time to get into gameshape again and if the playoffs start with play-in best of 3's as has been proposed, the Habs could easily knock out the Canes, for example, and move on. Would I watch? Yep. Would I cheer the on? Yep. But not sure it would be a high priority in my life right now and not sure I'd have high hopes of making it all the way through to winning a Cup.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see any games being played in Canada with the current 14 day mandatory isolation rule in place for those entering Canada. I imagine all games will be played in the States,, which really puts players at risk with the situation as it currently sits down there. I'm not in favour, but i'll certainly watch. Let's hope a decision like this doesn't kill anyone if it goes ahead.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hockey, for me, is over for the year. It just doesn't make sense. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If " they do start again and we're in, I'm in!  A 2 out of 3 series to start we would have as good as shot as any. With this lay off any team could actually win it all. We've started off on hot streaks before and it will definitely depend on the match ups. With it starting directly into playoffs I'm wondering how the officiating will be? Tight , loose ? I would rather have a shot at the cup and watch playoff hockey than be concerned about our draft position. I wonder also about the trade deadline? Would Romanov be able to play? I imagine every team would also have the expanded rosters also.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Hockey, for me, is over for the year. It just doesn't make sense. 

So,,,,,, you won't be watching,,,, right? :frech1:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I can't see any games being played in Canada with the current 14 day mandatory isolation rule in place for those entering Canada. I imagine all games will be played in the States,, which really puts players at risk with the situation as it currently sits down there. I'm not in favour, but i'll certainly watch. Let's hope a decision like this doesn't kill anyone if it goes ahead.

This! It feels like the Spanish flu pandemic of 1919 all over again  the NHL wants to continue and award a cup but it may cost a team a player or two's lives to actually stop the season. 

 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Thumbs down for me. I'd rather they keep the lottery the original way and give us a shot at #1 overall than get into the playoffs as the 24 seed and lose our draft position. The only upside to getting in is that it would likely be a complete crapshoot as to who advances... players will take time to get into gameshape again and if the playoffs start with play-in best of 3's as has been proposed, the Habs could easily knock out the Canes, for example, and move on. Would I watch? Yep. Would I cheer the on? Yep. But not sure it would be a high priority in my life right now and not sure I'd have high hopes of making it all the way through to winning a Cup.

Also this. While I also would like to see the Habs go on a deep run it would be costly as right now the most popular first round matchup for the Habs from the NHL perspective is the Leafs - Habs which would make the league a killing but this year we have won all 3 games against the Leafs if we win that best of three series then we move from 8th to 17th or lower in the draft. That would be disastrous! What if we win the first round then take on the Bruins in round 2 in a best of 3 or 5 we will be in much better game shape while they will have been sitting for a week or two perhaps we win that series as well cause we were able to keep pace with them in our first meeting of the season. So now we are moving to round 3 where we maybe get the Canes who just put out the Lightening that series goes 7 and we come out on top cause of Price stealing game 7 now we are at the ECF taking on maybe the Caps who again this year we had a winning record against but even if we lose that series we are now picking 4th last. Now MB is smiling cause he knows he will never be fired after building such a "strong team". That would be even worse than losing the high pick! MB would get at least another 2 or 3 years at the helm for lucking into the playoffs then getting lucky with matchups. So not only would it hurt the pick this year but would also hurt our picks for the next 2 or 3 drafts as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is it etched in stone that the further a team would advance in this scenario the later the draft pick ?....the perfect scenario is you get to keep your position otherwise why would Montreal want this having traded some key players that would have made them stronger  ?  I see a lot of opposition to this format not the least of which is a greatly delayed draft . 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

So,,,,,, you won't be watching,,,, right? :frech1:

Right, I won't be watching. At this point in time it's just stupidity and greed. Heck, you would think Trump was running the league.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 5:38 PM, BigTed3 said:

The only upside to getting in is that it would likely be a complete crapshoot as to who advances... players will take time to get into gameshape again and if the playoffs start with play-in best of 3's as has been proposed, the Habs could easily knock out the Canes, for example, and move on. Would I watch? Yep. Would I cheer the on? Yep. But not sure it would be a high priority in my life right now and not sure I'd have high hopes of making it all the way through to winning a Cup.

Bring back Therrien!! He always got his teams riled up & playing well for the first 10-20 games or so :4224:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 11:16 AM, habs1952 said:

Right, I won't be watching. At this point in time it's just stupidity and greed. Heck, you would think Trump was running the league.

I'm feeling the same way ... its just greed ...sure, they say at this point no spectators, but you know if they thought they could get away with it they would try and sell tickets.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

I'm feeling the same way ... its just greed ...sure, they say at this point no spectators, but you know if they thought they could get away with it they would try and sell tickets.

They have also said they are investigating allowing half full arenas or selling groups of tickets then leaving 4-5 empty seats between groups/families that feel comfortable with that arrangement. So yes it is about money but then again everything is always about money from players contracts to coaches to arena staff right down to you, me and every other person in the world. We all want to earn more, pay less or save for something. The NHL is just like any other business, food prices are on the rise cause the stores can get away with it, oil and gas prices will sky rocket the day that travel bans are lifted, house prices will also sky rocket once the pandemic is over.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now