H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,627 posts in this topic

I have a hard time visualizing fans at these games in any number. You have people screaming at the top of their lungs just spraying contaminants everywhere, no matter what the distancing. What about the bathroom use and concessions if they're offered?? Too many scenarios to deal with IMO.

45 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I have a hard time visualizing fans at these games in any number. You have people screaming at the top of their lungs just spraying contaminants everywhere, no matter what the distancing. What about the bathroom use and concessions if they're offered?? Too many scenarios to deal with IMO.

one family per section. LOL

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

so when they pick a "hub" city is it according to the least Covid-19 cases per 100,000 people  ?...does this all  sound a little bizarre to anybody else ? 

23 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

so when they pick a "hub" city is it according to the least Covid-19 cases per 100,000 people  ?...does this all  sound a little bizarre to anybody else ? 

The whole thing sounds bizarre tbh.   Right now the hub cities shortlisted are:  Vancouver, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Pittsburgh and Toronto.  

A loooot of variation there with Minneapolis and St Paul being under 500k,  Edmonton & Columbus being under 1m  and Greater Chicago being nearly 10m   Greater Dallas and Toronto are both around 6m.     While any city can get an outbreak, it certainly seems more difficult to contain one in a larger city.   

This all seems so weird. Still not sure they're going to be able to pull this off. 

51 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The whole thing sounds bizarre tbh.   Right now the hub cities shortlisted are:  Vancouver, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Pittsburgh and Toronto.  

A loooot of variation there with Minneapolis and St Paul being under 500k,  Edmonton & Columbus being under 1m  and Greater Chicago being nearly 10m   Greater Dallas and Toronto are both around 6m.     While any city can get an outbreak, it certainly seems more difficult to contain one in a larger city.   

This all seems so weird. Still not sure they're going to be able to pull this off. 

yeah I'm right there too ....I'm not a fan of this ...too many risks ..for starters lots of people have been acting like the pandemic is over  ...when does the 2nd wave start now that people have jammed in recreational parks and beaches with no social distancing and no masks ?   I can see another "wave" in 3 weeks  ….they were saying today they might need upwards of 30,000 covid-19  tests for this to happen ..what happens if one player tests positive during a round  or maybe gets infected by an asymptomatic and  contagious arena worker or even another player ?...do the teams or players risk playing further and taking it back to their families ?   do they do go into quarantine ? do they quash the whole thing ?....this has both money and failure written all over it.

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

yeah I'm right there too ....I'm not a fan of this ...too many risks ..for starters lots of people have been acting like the pandemic is over  ...when does the 2nd wave start now that people have jammed in recreational parks and beaches with no social distancing and no masks ?   I can see another "wave" in 3 weeks  ….they were saying today they might need upwards of 30,000 covid-19  tests for this to happen ..what happens if one player tests positive during a round  or maybe gets infected by an asymptomatic and  contagious arena worker or even another player ?...do the teams or players risk playing further and taking it back to their families ?   do they do go into quarantine ? do they quash the whole thing ?....this has both money and failure written all over it.

From what I have read, the NHL is working under the assumption that 1 or 2 infected players will not shut down the playoffs they feel like if they are testing everyone every 2 days then they will be able to catch those 1 or 2 infected players early and quarantine them before it spreads to other players. This to me is stupid in itself but what do I know. I wonder why if they are so determined to get the playoffs in why don't they pull a page out of the NBA playbook and find an isolated college campus and hold the games there. It would be much easier to limit personnel movements

I think Bettman has about 400 million reasons to push this 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

From what I have read, the NHL is working under the assumption that 1 or 2 infected players will not shut down the playoffs they feel like if they are testing everyone every 2 days then they will be able to catch those 1 or 2 infected players early and quarantine them before it spreads to other players. This to me is stupid in itself but what do I know. I wonder why if they are so determined to get the playoffs in why don't they pull a page out of the NBA playbook and find an isolated college campus and hold the games there. It would be much easier to limit personnel movements

Agree.

"Everyone" would include many others besides players, which would amount to thousands of tests - those tests are needed elsewhere.

I'm curious, would the leagues views change if one or two of these infected players were the face of the league say McDavid or Crosby?  If a player say gets infected and heaven forbid dies of the virus is the league being held accountable?

8 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

I'm curious, would the leagues views change if one or two of these infected players were the face of the league say McDavid or Crosby?  If a player say gets infected and heaven forbid dies of the virus is the league being held accountable?

i hope it is just Bettman, i hate that guy.

MB with a press conference today.  A few interesting points:

- Max Domi could potentially be not allowed to play because his Diabetes makes him high risk if he were to get Covid

- MB says that no decision has been made on Romanov & that they still have to discuss with the league (different from what Daly said yesterday)

- Mete and JK are not certainties to be back (although both sound like they've nearly recovered or are well on their way). Drouin will be ready.

Highlights of the whole thing here:https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2020/5/27/21272267/highlights-quotes-from-marc-bergevin-conference-call-nhl-prospects-canadiens-montreal-playoffs

One thing I do agree with MB about - regarding whether we should want to play is his analogy of playing the last game of the season knowing if you win, you're in, and if you lose, you have a chance at the lottery: You try to win.  Maybe the habs shouldnt be in a position to be allows to play a play-in series, but they are. Im personally rooting for them to win, even if that does impact our chance at a better pick.    

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

- Max Domi could potentially be not allowed to play because his Diabetes makes him high risk if he were to get Covid

- MB says that no decision has been made on Romanov & that they still have to discuss with the league (different from what Daly said yesterday)

- Mete and JK are not certainties to be back (although both sound like they've nearly recovered or are well on their way). Drouin will be ready.

Highlights of the whole thing here:https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2020/5/27/21272267/highlights-quotes-from-marc-bergevin-conference-call-nhl-prospects-canadiens-montreal-playoffs

One thing I do agree with MB about - regarding whether we should want to play is his analogy of playing the last game of the season knowing if you win, you're in, and if you lose, you have a chance at the lottery: You try to win.  Maybe the habs shouldnt be in a position to be allows to play a play-in series, but they are. Im personally rooting for them to win, even if that does impact our chance at a better pick.    

I agree, and the only thing that would hurt as a Habs fan is if we make the round of 16 and the Leafs don't they could still win the draft lottery which they wouldn't have had a chance before this because they traded their 1st to Carolina but top ten protected it so by being eliminated then going through the second round of the lottery they could still get a top 3 pick. They shouldn't even be in the lottery! They finished the season outside the top 10 so it should be Carolina's pick.

2 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I agree, and the only thing that would hurt as a Habs fan is if we make the round of 16 and the Leafs don't they could still win the draft lottery which they wouldn't have had a chance before this because they traded their 1st to Carolina but top ten protected it so by being eliminated then going through the second round of the lottery they could still get a top 3 pick. They shouldn't even be in the lottery! They finished the season outside the top 10 so it should be Carolina's pick.

$56m to 6 players... winning the draft lottery aint going to help that team.  If they dont win soon, they will be in big trouble.  As it is they have a few AHL quality players on their roster just so they can keep the cap down. :4224:

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Strange, one of my buddies has had Diabetes for decades and he's a full-time employee at a local hospital with direct contact to patients with all sorts of ailments, including Covid-19. They didn't deem him high-risk though, he's being held to the same standards as everybody else and gets regular shifts since the beginning of the crisis.

I don't have a medical background so I might be totally off-track but I think it's really confusing how differently the situation is being handled across borders, or even across provinces/states over here. Some provinces have already lifted all Covid-related measures and went back to 'regular operations' while others remain under complete lockdown (more or less).

Edited by ChiLla

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

Strange, one of my buddies has had Diabetes for decades and he's a full-time employee at a local hospital with direct contact to patients with all sorts of ailments. They didn't deem him high-risk though, he's being held to the same standards as everybody else as far as Covid-19 and gets regular shifts since the beginning of the crisis.

I don't have a medical background so I might be totally off-track but I think it's really confusing how differently the situation is being handled across borders.

No question that different jurisdictions (and medical establishments) are handling this totally different. I think it probably has something to do with how vastly different people's experiences are with it.  I know an elderly fellow who tested positive & said it wasnt really bad at all - and then you hear of fit 20 somethings who say they thought they were going to die.  Some people have serious (likely life-long) organ damage as a result while others barely any symptoms.  Its so odd.

In terms of Diabetes, maybe it depends what type? I really dont know much about it or the way it is affected.  I went to my doctor a few weeks back because i got an ear infection and he said "You need to be especially careful" and I said "yes, because of my asthma"  And he said "yes that, and your crohn's disease"  Which sort of surprised me since Crohns is a gastro-intestinal disease. 

No question that different jurisdictions (and medical establishments) are handling this totally different. I think it probably has something to do with how vastly different people's experiences are with it.  I know an elderly fellow who tested positive & said it wasnt really bad at all - and then you hear of fit 20 somethings who say they thought they were going to die.  Some people have serious (likely life-long) organ damage as a result while others barely any symptoms.  Its so odd.

In terms of Diabetes, maybe it depends what type? I really dont know much about it or the way it is affected.  I went to my doctor a few weeks back because i got an ear infection and he said "You need to be especially careful" and I said "yes, because of my asthma"  And he said "yes that, and your crohn's disease"  Which sort of surprised me since Crohns is a gastro-intestinal disease. 

In the states the "states" vary wildly how they're being managed. The diabetic does make a difference of severity. Max is type #1 Insulin dependent which can be severe if not managed properly. Almost any underling issue doesn't help. "If " you have to go on a ventilator it can be very hard on all your internal organs and depending on the time frame you are on it , it can be hard on your muscles themselves. Most that go on a ventilator end up with at least some physical therapy afterwards. I really hope Max can play as he is needed.

The more this gets discussed the more it sounds like a bad idea and not just for the Habs . What is it about 600 players or so in the playoffs ?...add in the team staffs etc , then at least two arena crews  , and maybe some fans in socially distanced sections , all the hotel people , transportation people , airplanes , food catering considerations , the media circus ...and then ...if just one person gets infected it's a crap show and someone or some people are going to pay dearly for it  .

9 hours ago, arpem-can said:

The more this gets discussed the more it sounds like a bad idea and not just for the Habs . What is it about 600 players or so in the playoffs ?...add in the team staffs etc , then at least two arena crews  , and maybe some fans in socially distanced sections , all the hotel people , transportation people , airplanes , food catering considerations , the media circus ...and then ...if just one person gets infected it's a crap show and someone or some people are going to pay dearly for it  .

Yeah, the whole thing just feels opportunistic. Bettman knows there are a ton of people out there desperate to watch any sport. He probably sees this as a good opportunity to "grow the game." I've been on the side of 'cancel the season' since the beginning and I still think that's what should happen.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, the whole thing just feels opportunistic. Bettman knows there are a ton of people out there desperate to watch any sport. He probably sees this as a good opportunity to "grow the game." I've been on the side of 'cancel the season' since the beginning and I still think that's what should happen.

this is exactly how i see it too.   Be the only sport available & find new fans. 

at what cost?

this is exactly how i see it too.   Be the only sport available & find new fans. 

at what cost?

Yep. :ph34r:

That's exactly what it feels like. I understand there are arguments out there about "stimulating the economy" but I don't really see the huge societal economic benefits of playing hockey games in mostly empty stadiums. I mean, it's not like bar owners/restaurants will be allowed to pack fans in to watch. TV networks will reap some of the rewards, as will the NHL. But it's not like this is going to help out small business owners or something.

Yes, it will provide entertainment to many sports fans, but... I mean, I can live without hockey for now. I'm sure many people can.

The NHL is the bushest(bushiest?) of professional sports leagues. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yep. :ph34r:

That's exactly what it feels like. I understand there are arguments out there about "stimulating the economy" but I don't really see the huge societal economic benefits of playing hockey games in mostly empty stadiums. I mean, it's not like bar owners/restaurants will be allowed to pack fans in to watch. TV networks will reap some of the rewards, as will the NHL. But it's not like this is going to help out small business owners or something.

Yes, it will provide entertainment to many sports fans, but... I mean, I can live without hockey for now. I'm sure many people can.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I feel like this is only a small part of the decision, rumors are that the NHL stands to lose 1.2 Billion in revenue this year alone and still has to honor TV contracts for this season. If those contracts are not honored this year then they will have to be honored next season which essentially means they will be broadcasting games for free. I am not sure if the NHL even being as big as it is could survive basically 1.25 years worth of TV revenue losses. Which while being less important to you me and the general public, would be top of the list for the owners, GM's, coaches, Player and every other person employed by the league, teams and arena owners. 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I feel like this is only a small part of the decision, rumors are that the NHL stands to lose 1.2 Billion in revenue this year alone and still has to honor TV contracts for this season. If those contracts are not honored this year then they will have to be honored next season which essentially means they will be broadcasting games for free. I am not sure if the NHL even being as big as it is could survive basically 1.25 years worth of TV revenue losses. Which while being less important to you me and the general public, would be top of the list for the owners, GM's, coaches, Player and every other person employed by the league, teams and arena owners. 

Yeah, I mean, a lot of people (poor and rich) are going to be out a lot of money globally in almost every sector (sports and everything else). The NHL will survive in some form, even with all those lost revenues. Hockey will continue to exist at a professional level. However, the league has been obsessed with this idea of expansion for years now and maybe that's just not feasible. And maybe this is the moment they might realize it. Maybe Arizona doesn't need a team. Maybe player salaries can't keep rising to the degree that they've gone up in the past 10 years.

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

at what cost?

In the States NASCAR is already back , golf is scheduled and the NBA sounds close to ready also Major League baseball is getting ready. The NFL says they are going to start as normal. Of course the NFL is September.