H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,657 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

In the States NASCAR is already back , golf is scheduled and the NBA sounds close to ready also Major League baseball is getting ready. The NFL says they are going to start as normal. Of course the NFL is September.

To this point I think the NBA is a given as they are going to play at Disney land isolated from the entire world, which would have been ideal for the NHL if they had a similar venue. Even the CFL is looking at playing games in a shortened season in September IF they can get fans in the stands by then because they are a gate driven league unlike any of the other 4 leagues (NHL, NASCAR, NBA & NFL).

7 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I feel like this is only a small part of the decision, rumors are that the NHL stands to lose 1.2 Billion in revenue this year alone and still has to honor TV contracts for this season. If those contracts are not honored this year then they will have to be honored next season which essentially means they will be broadcasting games for free. I am not sure if the NHL even being as big as it is could survive basically 1.25 years worth of TV revenue losses. Which while being less important to you me and the general public, would be top of the list for the owners, GM's, coaches, Player and every other person employed by the league, teams and arena owners. 

Forgive me if I don't shed a tear for the billionaire owners. 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Forgive me if I don't shed a tear for the billionaire owners. 

I agree and I really don't shed any tears for Millionaire players. Especially when I hear any whine about maybe being separated from their families for maybe two months. As teams get eliminated most won't be that long anyway. There are several jobs including the military where people are separated from families for extended times. All without being spoiled at 5 star hotels or making millions. The ones that are hurting are those workers that work at the arenas unfortunately.  

55 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree and I really don't shed any tears for Millionaire players. Especially when I hear any whine about maybe being separated from their families for maybe two months. As teams get eliminated most won't be that long anyway. There are several jobs including the military where people are separated from families for extended times. All without being spoiled at 5 star hotels or making millions. The ones that are hurting are those workers that work at the arenas unfortunately.  

And get paid way less.

Ok just saw Button the former Canadiens basher say that Romanov will likely be a #2 Dman but the lowest he see him is as a #3. He compared Romanov to Guy Lapointe, high praise for the kid from Button. While I am not sure Romanov can compare to Lapointe IF he is half the Dman Lapointe was he will fill a huge hole on the left side. Also TSN ranks Romanov at 5 on TSN’s ranking of NHL-affiliated prospects. Only Shesterkin, Denisenko, Byram and Kaprizov ranked higher. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

cOk just saw Button the former Canadiens basher say that Romanov will likely be a #2 Dman but the lowest he see him is as a #3. He compared Romanov to Guy Lapointe, high praise for the kid from Button. While I am not sure Romanov can compare to Lapointe IF he is half the Dman Lapointe was he will fill a huge hole on the left side. Also TSN ranks Romanov at 5 on TSN’s ranking of NHL-affiliated prospects. Only Shesterkin, Denisenko, Byram and Kaprizov ranked higher. 

Ya know, in Lapointe's 1st full season with the Habs, (78 gms), he scored 15G  and 29A. If Romanov an score 1/2 that amount, then I'll be happy. Lapointe's era was very different tho. 

Edited by kinot-2

20 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, in Lapointe's 1st full season with the Habs, (78 gms), he scored 15G  and 29A. If Romanov an score 1/2 that amount, then I'll be happy. Lapointe's era was very different tho. 

I feel like he will end next year with 8 goals and 15-20 assists. I think he starts on the third pairing for the play in series IF he is eligible. Then by game 3 or 4 slides in beside Petry to finish the series. After that maybe he stays on the 2nd pairing maybe he gets Weber as a partner doesn't really matter cause both Weber and Petry are capable of teaching the kid the ins and outs of the NHL defenseman

Very interesting article here: https://www.tvasports.ca/2020/05/28/un-ancien-expert-du-developpement-malmene-le-ch

Where Jack Han (former ahl coach, development coach & analyst) suggests a couple of things:

- The major pitfalls / breakdowns of our development of players

- That Ryan Poehling has a lot of work to do & may not get the direction he needs within this organization.

Im not sure I 100% agree with everything Han is saying but he makes some keen observations and some of it is definitely on the mark. 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Very interesting article here: https://www.tvasports.ca/2020/05/28/un-ancien-expert-du-developpement-malmene-le-ch

Where Jack Han (former ahl coach, development coach & analyst) suggests a couple of things:

- The major pitfalls / breakdowns of our development of players

- That Ryan Poehling has a lot of work to do & may not get the direction he needs within this organization.

Im not sure I 100% agree with everything Han is saying but he makes some keen observations and some of it is definitely on the mark. 

What a blanket statement to make about Poehling ...I think we can all see he needs some work . Nobody expected him to score 3 goals every game since he wasn't a scorer in college either . But he has the size , the speed , some hands and a very good defensive game that I have no doubt  get plenty of positive direction under Bouchard .  

Molson once again has reaffirmed that MB will be back at least next season and he will not give up team control to a President of Hockey Operations. Stupid decision as the last time the Habs had a PHO they won 2 cups

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Molson once again has reaffirmed that MB will be back at least next season and he will not give up team control to a President of Hockey Operations. Stupid decision as the last time the Habs had a PHO they won 2 cups

They'll probably pretend that making the "play-in round" counts as make the play-offs. Make things seem better than they are.

24 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

They'll probably pretend that making the "play-in round" counts as make the play-offs. Make things seem better than they are.

Anything can happen! :4224:

On 6/11/2020 at 0:03 PM, maas_art said:

Anything can happen! :4224:

"Something will happen" is the truer statement... :7072:

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

"Something will happen" is the truer statement... :7072:

what if one player gets covid ….does everybody in that dressing room go into quarantine ? If they play against a team does that team go into quarantine for 2 weeks ? Are they eliminated because of covid ….if an equipment manager tests positive does the whole team quarantine ?.....yeah something will happen for sure 

19 hours ago, arpem-can said:

what if one player gets covid ….does everybody in that dressing room go into quarantine ? If they play against a team does that team go into quarantine for 2 weeks ? Are they eliminated because of covid ….if an equipment manager tests positive does the whole team quarantine ?.....yeah something will happen for sure

And there could be other things we aren't even thinking about...

20 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Going to be difficult for NHL to pull this off

12 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I think (if this actually happens & I still think thats 50/50 at best)  drouin is probably our #1 x-factor.  He's only played in 2 NHL playoffs in his career, but looked like a beast in the last one (14pts in 17 games i believe).  He looked so good before the injury this year.   

We're still huge underdogs, but a dominant drouin could change things a little.

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think (if this actually happens & I still think thats 50/50 at best)  drouin is probably our #1 x-factor.  He's only played in 2 NHL playoffs in his career, but looked like a beast in the last one (14pts in 17 games i believe).  He looked so good before the injury this year.   

We're still huge underdogs, but a dominant drouin could change things a little.

A dominant Price too ...but I liked the team better with Cousins , Thompson and Scandella ….still it will be a chance for some younger guys to get play-off experience ...ONLY if the NHL can pull this off ...I have very strong doubts  

if this stupid end to the season does happen i will be interested to see how Suzuki responds to a bit of rest. i still have high hopes for him he looks like a real good long term player i am looking forward to his progress.

Kotkaniemi flew back to Montreal so one has to assume he's fully recovered from the spleen injury.

He's apparently been working with a skating coach in finland.  Will be interesting to see if he is back on the NHL roster if they do indeed go forward with the play-in series.

On 2020-06-19 at 10:52 PM, ramcharger440 said:

if this stupid end to the season does happen i will be interested to see how Suzuki responds to a bit of rest. i still have high hopes for him he looks like a real good long term player i am looking forward to his progress.

I agree about the stupid season part ….this is a bad idea and only a cash grab for the owners ...a  80% chance  we don't win the Cup and a 50/50 chance we lose draft position ….kind of like a lose-lose  proposition 

2 hours ago, arpem-can said:

I agree about the stupid season part ….this is a bad idea and only a cash grab for the owners ...a  80% chance  we don't win the Cup and a 50/50 chance we lose draft position ….kind of like a lose-lose  proposition 

However, lots of our players have never played in a PO game and would be giving their all, as they have nothing to lose. They are well rested, and "could" give Pitts a run for their money. They can call it a "playin" series but in reality it's a PO series. 

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

However, lots of our players have never played in a PO game and would be giving their all, as they have nothing to lose. They are well rested, and "could" give Pitts a run for their money. They can call it a "playin" series but in reality it's a PO series. 

that's the only positive for me ...play-off experience ...if we're successful we have to win the Cup or lose a ton of opportunity in the draft ...I guess another way to look at it is most Hab fans would be happy if Montreal just simply made the play-offs anyway and if they had the same scenario in the play-off/draft position  would play out anyway ...