H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,595 posts in this topic

Somebody has been drinking MB's coolaid it seems. Julien quoted on TSN as saying we're built to win. :7072:

Here's a question for everybody. If we get swept in the playin round,,,, does MB get canned?? Let's remember that he built the current edition of this team and he won't be able to use injuries as an excuse this time around.

17 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Somebody has been drinking MB's coolaid it seems. Julien quoted on TSN as saying we're built to win. :7072:

Here's a question for everybody. If we get swept in the playin round,,,, does MB get canned?? Let's remember that he built the current edition of this team and he won't be able to use injuries as an excuse this time around.

Didn't Geoff give MB his blessing a few months ago, or am I mistaken?  In any case, MB will be with us (IMO) for at least 2 years. 

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Built to win what?

MB should have been canned by now but as long as GM keeps his head buried in the sand the answer is no.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Built to win what?

MB should have been canned by now but as long as GM keeps his head buried in the sand the answer is no.

Doncha mean Molson? 

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Doncha mean Molson? 

GM = Geoff Molson Not General Motors LOL 

Edited by campabee82

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

He's not as sharp as he used to be. :4224:

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

:6416:

13 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Here I thought with age came wisdom:4224:

On 7/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, H_T_L said:

Marc Bergevin will NEVER be fired. :ph34r: He will the GM for the rest of time.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:35 PM, H_T_L said:

I would be shocked if MB is fired any time within the next say... 16-20 months.  Even then I think he'd have to have a major gaffe (like one specific incident, not the fact we are worse now that when he started 8 years ago).  

As you said, GM is way into the MB Kool-Aid. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Marc Bergevin will NEVER be fired. :ph34r: He will the GM for the rest of time.

inception-gif-fo-real1.gif?w=650

What I would like to know is... whatever happened to Kinot-1  :7072:

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

What I would like to know is... whatever happened to Kinot-1  :7072:

I have it on very good authority, that he is undercover, but don't tell anyone. :ph34r:

Edited by kinot-2

On 7/16/2020 at 2:29 PM, kinot-2 said:

I have it on very good authority, that he is undercover, but don't tell anyone. :ph34r:

And I thought they had de-spies-ed you... go figure :4845:

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

And I thought they had de-spies-ed you... go figure :4845:

Put face plant here. :rolleyes:

On 7/18/2020 at 8:28 AM, kinot-2 said:

Put face plant here. :rolleyes:

Do you mean face palm? because face plant is when you fall down & go boom. :P

I'll start by saying that I do actually prefer the idea of a 1/8 shot at 1st overall, but assuming we're playing, Im always about winning so..

With Domi back and no major injuries, I assume the lineup will look like this:

Tatar – Danault – Gallagher
Drouin – Domi – Suzuki
Lekhonen – Kotkaniemi – Armia 
Byron – Evans/Weal – Weise

Safe bet thats what Julien does.   Danault vs Crosby  and Domi Vs Malkin   (assuming everyone is healthy and Crosby isnt out long term)

Having said that, I wonder if it makes more sense to keep Drouin/Suzuki away from the Malkin line.  There's 2 options: 1) you match Kotkaniemi's line against Malkin. Yes, its a LOT to ask a kid but he's shown defensive maturity - and you have Lehks/Armia as two of our best defensive players.

Option 2, you swap JK/Domi/Suzuki - so that your lines are:   Lehks - Suzuki - Armia (head to head against Malkin) and  Drouin - JK - Domi (or Drouin - Domi - JK) as your exploitation 3rd line.

Im sure these are too "outside the box" for Julien but our ONLY strength here is our depth.  If you can somehow neutralize the Crosby/Malkin lines you can beat Pittsburgh's bottom 6. 

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I'll start by saying that I do actually prefer the idea of a 1/8 shot at 1st overall, but assuming we're playing, Im always about winning so..

With Domi back and no major injuries, I assume the lineup will look like this:

Drouin – Domi – Suzuki

Safe bet thats what Julien does.   Danault vs Crosby  and Domi Vs Malkin   (assuming everyone is healthy and Crosby isnt out long term)

Having said that, I wonder if it makes more sense to keep Drouin/Suzuki away from the Malkin line.  There's 2 options: 1) you match Kotkaniemi's line against Malkin. Yes, its a LOT to ask a kid but he's shown defensive maturity - and you have Lehks/Armia as two of our best defensive players.

Option 2, you swap JK/Domi/Suzuki - so that your lines are:   Lehks - Suzuki - Armia (head to head against Malkin) and  Drouin - JK - Domi (or Drouin - Domi - JK) as your exploitation 3rd line.

Im sure these are too "outside the box" for Julien but our ONLY strength here is our depth.  If you can somehow neutralize the Crosby/Malkin lines you can beat Pittsburgh's bottom 6. 

Reporters watching the practices have said that Tatar-Gallagher look just as dominant without Danault there and you can't even tell Danault is missing. I've said for a while that I'd love to see Danault taken off that line and put back with Lehkonen in more of a shutdown role. If you did that, it leaves you with a shutdown Danault-Lehkonen line AND a possession line with Tatar-Gallagher, both of which would suffice to help to control the Pens' offence. I know CJ will never move Danault, but if he did, you could theoretically look at something like

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher (who I'd try to match up against Malkin's line)

Drouin-Suzuki-Armia

Domi-Danault-Lehkonen (who I'd try to match up against Crosby's line, with two great defensive players and an agitator, since we know Sid is easy to rile up)

Byron-Evans-Poehling

The forward group with Domi and a resurgent Kotkaniemi could be strong, but it still leaves you with a porous D line-up. Even with a rested Weber and Petry, the left side is maybe the weakest in the playoffs. Best-case scenario is

Kulak-Petry

Chiarot-Weber (with 2nd-pairing minutes)

Mete-Juulsen

Fleury

Too bad we'll never find out if Romanov would have been a difference-maker there. If Romanov had been in and COVID were under control (i.e. we weren't perpetually wondering if the playoffs would just be shut down) and there were no shot at #1 (i.e. if we knew for sure we would be picking 9th overall if we lost), then I would have been on board with trying to win. But there are too many factors (along with the re-seeding of teams) stacked against our winning and against the playoff even being completed, so I'd rather have the sure bet of having a top 10 pick and possibly 1st overall.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd rather have the sure bet of having a top 10 pick and possibly 1st overall.

Love your line ideas.  Like you, dont think Julien would try it, but there's some good logic there.

As for the quoted post - agree completely.  Im still going to cheer for them but secretly Im hoping we do end up with 1st or 9th.

The reality is that at 1st we get an elite, possibly generational talent. At 9th we could still get an elite impact player.  There's a good chance at least one or two of the teams in the top 8 will draft positionally meaning we could get a guy at 9th that is legitimately a top 5-7 pick.    16th we can absolutely still get a good player but he'll most likely be a project. 

13 hours ago, maas_art said:

Love your line ideas.  Like you, dont think Julien would try it, but there's some good logic there.

As for the quoted post - agree completely.  Im still going to cheer for them but secretly Im hoping we do end up with 1st or 9th.

The reality is that at 1st we get an elite, possibly generational talent. At 9th we could still get an elite impact player.  There's a good chance at least one or two of the teams in the top 8 will draft positionally meaning we could get a guy at 9th that is legitimately a top 5-7 pick.    16th we can absolutely still get a good player but he'll most likely be a project. 

Agreed. Every pick is a gamble, no doubt. But at 9, you're going after a guy who's more in line with a Sergachev or Komisarek or so on. At 16, you're getting someone closer to a Louis Leblanc or Nate Beaulieu. While there are stars who get drafted at 16, there are more stars who get drafted top 10, and frankly it doesn't help us to end up with a middle 6 forward or 3rd pairing defenceman. You can find those on the free agent market or via trade. What you can't find easily without paying a bomb for it is high-end talent, and that's what the Habs need to put everyone in the right chair.

Glad to see Domi back in camp. Looking at these forwards we have options. I can easily see Julien moving Armia and Lehkonen into a checking role around Byron or with Domi by moving Drouin and Suzuki down. This can be done or in pairs or one at a time. One of the most important players on this team is a healthy Byron.  A fourth line of Byron, Evans and Weal may be very difficult for teams to handle and if we have to move Kotkoniemi down he will still have some players with speed who can put the puck in the net. I am not sure how effective Weise will be but he has had a few months to get in better shape.  I believe Byron may the player who has a much bigger impact on the series. He is easy to overlook but can fill a variety of roles. With him, Armia, Danault and Suzuki on the PK we should be more effective in stopping the Pitt PP.

Drouin – Domi – Suzuki

Defensively we have a bit of a dilemma. If Mete is moved back to the top pairing on of Chiarot or Kulak will be relegated to third pairing minutes. But again I like the flexibility this gives us as Juulsen is the only player that has not partnered with anyone other than Petry in the last two years. If we are going to succeed in the post season Julien will need to be able to adjust the line-up and this group appears to be a good fit for that.

Chiarot-Weber 

Kulak-Petry

Mete-Juulsen

Fleury

Bunch of players back today.  Kulak and Ouellet (2 of the guys who were rumoured to have tested positive) were on the ice for the first time.  Danault (who was thought to have a minor injury) was back in top spot again.

Still a lot of "playing down the lineup" as guys get their conditioning up (Domi moved up to the 4th line after playing on the 5th yesterday).  

Up front the big questions are probably : Domi / JK / Suzuki : who gets centre & what line
Everything else should fall into place after that.  Weal vs Evans vs Weise is probably one of the only minor ones in the bottom 6.  

On the back, a lot more question marks.  Petry/Weber will be top 2 RHD but after that?  Chairot looks like he'll be next to Weber.  Mete or Kulak next to petry?  Who  plays 3rd pairing?   Lots of decisions.  Would have been interesting to see Romanov in the mix. 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Bunch of players back today.  Kulak and Ouellet (2 of the guys who were rumoured to have tested positive) were on the ice for the first time.  Danault (who was thought to have a minor injury) was back in top spot again.

Still a lot of "playing down the lineup" as guys get their conditioning up (Domi moved up to the 4th line after playing on the 5th yesterday).  

Up front the big questions are probably : Domi / JK / Suzuki : who gets centre & what line
Everything else should fall into place after that.  Weal vs Evans vs Weise is probably one of the only minor ones in the bottom 6.  

On the back, a lot more question marks.  Petry/Weber will be top 2 RHD but after that?  Chairot looks like he'll be next to Weber.  Mete or Kulak next to petry?  Who  plays 3rd pairing?   Lots of decisions.  Would have been interesting to see Romanov in the mix. 

Danault didn't have an injury, he was part of a group of 5-6 players who were supposedly in contact with a positive COVID player (possibly Ouellet or Kulak). They had to wait out a period of time to make sure they didn't develop symptoms to be able to rejoin the main group... that's what I've read, at least.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:41 PM, BigTed3 said:

Reporters watching the practices have said that Tatar-Gallagher look just as dominant without Danault there and you can't even tell Danault is missing. I've said for a while that I'd love to see Danault taken off that line and put back with Lehkonen in more of a shutdown role. If you did that, it leaves you with a shutdown Danault-Lehkonen line AND a possession line with Tatar-Gallagher, both of which would suffice to help to control the Pens' offence. I know CJ will never move Danault, but if he did, you could theoretically look at something like

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher (who I'd try to match up against Malkin's line)

Drouin-Suzuki-Armia

Domi-Danault-Lehkonen (who I'd try to match up against Crosby's line, with two great defensive players and an agitator, since we know Sid is easy to rile up)

Byron-Evans-Poehling

The forward group with Domi and a resurgent Kotkaniemi could be strong, but it still leaves you with a porous D line-up. Even with a rested Weber and Petry, the left side is maybe the weakest in the playoffs. Best-case scenario is

Kulak-Petry

Chiarot-Weber (with 2nd-pairing minutes)

Mete-Juulsen

Fleury

Too bad we'll never find out if Romanov would have been a difference-maker there. If Romanov had been in and COVID were under control (i.e. we weren't perpetually wondering if the playoffs would just be shut down) and there were no shot at #1 (i.e. if we knew for sure we would be picking 9th overall if we lost), then I would have been on board with trying to win. But there are too many factors (along with the re-seeding of teams) stacked against our winning and against the playoff even being completed, so I'd rather have the sure bet of having a top 10 pick and possibly 1st overall.

Want to really mess with the Pens line up

Domi-Kotkaniemi-Gallager

Drouin-Suzuki-Tatar

Lehkonen-Danault-Armia

Byron-Evans-Weal/Weise

Tatar plays RW as well as he does LW where as Domi tends to fade towards the left side more often. 

Petry-Weber

Chiarot-Mete

Kulak-Juulsen

Both Petry and Mete are capable of playing their off sides well and Petry-Weber would play like half the game and Petry with Weber and Chiarot with Mete still balances offense and defensive aspects for each pairing

Price 

Primeau

Also just imagine how frustrated Crosby would be playing against both Domi and Gallagher :4224: