H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,757 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Also just imagine how frustrated Crosby would be playing against both Domi and Gallagher :4224:

With Murray, he will have problems with Gally and Domi. 

43 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

With Murray, he will have problems with Gally and Domi. 

Total chaos in the offensive zone the Pens would all be frustrated

14 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Want to really mess with the Pens line up

Domi-Kotkaniemi-Gallager

Drouin-Suzuki-Tatar

Lehkonen-Danault-Armia

Byron-Evans-Weal/Weise

Tatar plays RW as well as he does LW where as Domi tends to fade towards the left side more often. 

Petry-Weber

Chiarot-Mete

Kulak-Juulsen

Both Petry and Mete are capable of playing their off sides well and Petry-Weber would play like half the game and Petry with Weber and Chiarot with Mete still balances offense and defensive aspects for each pairing

Price 

Primeau

Some interesting idea there although to me, Id rather keep Petry and Weber apart.  I feel like one of Petry/Weber on the ice for 44-48minutes of the game is better than both of them on the ice at the same time for only 22- 24 minutes. 

I really like the idea of Tatar with Suzuki though.  Either what you suggested or  Domi - Suzuki - Tatar  Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher

That Lekhs - Danault - Armia line would be getting a lot of ice time but they would be definitely be a good bet to shut down one of Pitts' best lines. 

On 13/07/2020 at 7:23 AM, H_T_L said:

May have been a condition on him signing his ELC.

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Some interesting idea there although to me, Id rather keep Petry and Weber apart.  I feel like one of Petry/Weber on the ice for 44-48minutes of the game is better than both of them on the ice at the same time for only 22- 24 minutes. 

I really like the idea of Tatar with Suzuki though.  Either what you suggested or  Domi - Suzuki - Tatar  Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher

That Lekhs - Danault - Armia line would be getting a lot of ice time but they would be definitely be a good bet to shut down one of Pitts' best lines. 

Plus Weber & Petry are both RH

1 minute ago, arpem-can said:

Yes, he did address that - Petry has played some LD in the past and has said he'll play it again if asked. 

46 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I get what your saying about Petry-Weber that makes sense was just trying to find a way of strengthening the Left side

39 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Petry has played with Weber before during games both at 5 vs 5 and on the PP and they were very effective. Both have heavy shots and while Petry prefers the wrister and Weber prefers the Slapper If Petry lined up on his off side he would have an easier time getting off some of his own one-timer bombs both on the PP and 5 vs 5. The real question is with both Weber and Petry playing 25+ minutes together can Chiarot-Mete handle 15+ minutes against Malkin's line with Kulak and Juulsen playing 10-15 minutes against the rest of the lineup. It may be too much to ask of them but I think you try it out in game 1 and see how things go, if the 2nd and 3rd pairing are insufferably bad just move Chiarot and Petry back to their normal spots. I think those pairing could hold their own though, all 3 have 1 defensively sound guy and one offensive puck mover.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I get what your saying about Petry-Weber that makes sense was just trying to find a way of strengthening the Left side

Yeah, its definitely our Achilles' heel (the #1 LD position)  Its so bad that our whole LD corps looks horrible but in fact we actually have some solid LD options - just everyone is playing over their heads because we're missing that #1 guy.   Im almost glad Romanov cant play because i think they would expect him to be a saviour or something.   I think that if Juulsen was where he should be, development-wise, your plan may make sense. I do believe he's a top 4 dman - maybe even top 3 potential - but those injuries set him back at least a year & Id be worried asking him to play a top 4 role right away.  Mete-Chiarot is a pairing I would not like to see against any team's top 9 tbh. 

Love the idea of adding Krug this offseason (whenever that is, lol) or trading for a guy like Brodin etc. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, its definitely our Achilles' heel (the #1 LD position)  Its so bad that our whole LD corps looks horrible but in fact we actually have some solid LD options - just everyone is playing over their heads because we're missing that #1 guy.   Im almost glad Romanov cant play because i think they would expect him to be a saviour or something.   I think that if Juulsen was where he should be, development-wise, your plan may make sense. I do believe he's a top 4 dman - maybe even top 3 potential - but those injuries set him back at least a year & Id be worried asking him to play a top 4 role right away.  Mete-Chiarot is a pairing I would not like to see against any team's top 9 tbh. 

Love the idea of adding Krug this offseason (whenever that is, lol) or trading for a guy like Brodin etc. 

Krug would be awsome, hopefully he wants to work with Julien again and considers it.

I agree Romanov could be a top 4 guy but probably not top pairing.

I don't think Juulsen is anything to worry about though. I think he will be just fine and show his worth in the play in

I like the thoughts. ... I also think the lines need to be re-adjusted a bit. I'd like to see how this would work:

tatar-Suzuki-armia 

drouin-domi-byron

lehkonen-danault-Gallagher 

Poehling/Hudon-kotkaniemi-weal/weise 

mete-weber

chirot-petry 

Ouellette/juulsen-kulak 

What do you think?

5 hours ago, jfcambell11 said:

I like the thoughts. ... I also think the lines need to be re-adjusted a bit. I'd like to see how this would work:

tatar-Suzuki-armia 

drouin-domi-byron

lehkonen-danault-Gallagher 

Poehling/Hudon-kotkaniemi-weal/weise 

mete-weber

chirot-petry 

Ouellette/juulsen-kulak 

What do you think?

It's difficult for me to imagine breaking up Danault Tatar and Gallagher for chemistry reasons alone ...it looks like Tatar and Lehtonen have  changed places in your line-up ...I like the Domi Drouin combo but with Kotkaniemi's for some size and creativity ....Byron might be a 4th line guy...I suspect one or two of Weal, Weise , Hudon and maybe even Poehling could be getting some pine time ...although I've never been a fan of having a play-off just for the sake of TV revenue the play-off experience will help our young guys ....so : Tatar Danault Gallagher                                                                                                                                                                            Drouin    KK      Domi                                                                                                                                                                               Lehtonen Suzuki Armia                                                                                                                                                                           Byron Poehling  Weal or Weise ( for size )  

A sobering stat (although I don't think many here actually believe we have a shot at the cup).  With the play in round and regular 4 series, a stanley cup will require 19 ROW wins.

It took us 71 games this season to get 19ROW.   

Still, at least we wont face Detroit!! :4224:

I'm gonna miss the weekend game against Pittsburgh. But... nothing I saw in period two against the Leafs made me hopeful we'll get anywhere in the play-in round. Which is fine. I'd rather take the percentage odds at getting the number one pick, to be honest.

54 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm gonna miss the weekend game against Pittsburgh. But... nothing I saw in period two against the Leafs made me hopeful we'll get anywhere in the play-in round. Which is fine. I'd rather take the percentage odds at getting the number one pick, to be honest.

that's pretty much where I sit on this ....barring a not-likely miraculous turnaround 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yup.   

I'll watch if possible but for me  1st OVA > 9 OVA > 16th OVA    If our pick falls to below 16th ova then that means we've gone fairly deep so im probably ok with that. I know the cup is the goal but i could live with a conference final loss or better (even though it messes up our draft position) tbh.

Been watching both games so far, and really think the team is in worse shape than I had originally thought.

Druion needs to be sent packing, trade him for a water bottle but he just needs to go.  I really like what Domi brings to the table with his Grit but it seems like he has lost it in the playoffs, needs to play to his strengths.  KK and Suzuki have looked fantastic, and the D is holding their own but their lack of speed is really showing.  Would like to see them laying a little bit more body on Crosby, need to make Pittsburgh pay for crossing the blue line.

Maybe I am missing something here, but why the hell are we burning a year of Romanov's contract and not playing him??  Put the kid in and lets see what he can do.  If nothing else he gets some valuable playoff experience

19 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Maybe I am missing something here, but why the hell are we burning a year of Romanov's contract and not playing him??  Put the kid in and lets see what he can do.  If nothing else he gets some valuable playoff experience

He's not eligible to play in the playoffs. My best guess would be that the burned year of eligibility was a negotiated condition for him to sign his ELC but i have no facts to back it up.

Well we are set at center we just need to shuffle them around a bit! wing is fair if not great the D has some good parts but the #1 LHD issue is still after all these years our main weak link! Price is as good as it gets right now too shame we are wasting it yet again!

Imagine this team right now with Sergachev instead of Drouin it would be a much much better balance on D! 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

He's not eligible to play in the playoffs. My best guess would be that the burned year of eligibility was a negotiated condition for him to sign his ELC but i have no facts to back it up.

Yeah, there's no way to confirm this but it definitely seems to be the way most people believe it went.  Rather than risking him signing another KHL deal, MB let Romanov burn the year off his ELC & therefore be another year closer to the big money.    A necessary evil unfortunately.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Well we are set at center we just need to shuffle them around a bit! wing is fair if not great the D has some good parts but the #1 LHD issue is still after all these years our main weak link! Price is as good as it gets right now too shame we are wasting it yet again!

I also believe that we have some positional strength.  If we break down by posiiton:

Centre: Strong, but need some players to continue to develop. Not quite there yet but I wouldnt make a trade

LW:  Strong, especially when guys like Domi move back to LW. Drouin has his faults but on the right line can be a decent contributor. 

RW:  So-So,  Ideally need a top 6 RW.   Gallagher is great, Armia is solid. Some guys (Byron, Lehks) can play either wing.  Adding in another top 6 RW would make this a good group.  Caufield is likely at least a year away.

RHD: Solid..for now. Our 2 best defensmen are there, 3 of our top young dmen are there.  However, our top 2 are old and there's not much in the cupboards after the current crop. 

LHD: Bad - but not as bad as it seems.  In Chiarot, Mete, Kulak we have solid second and third pairing dmen.  We lack a true #1.  Our LHD look bad because of this but if you drop a top pairing LHD into the mix, we suddenly are not weak at all there.  We also have some very promising LHD prospects who are likely a couple of years away, so in a bit that will not be a problem (although RHD might be by then!)

Goal: Nuff' said.

Honestly, watching the first couple of games, I dont think we're terribly badly built (we need players to continue to develop) but I do very much question our system. It seems like a lot of guys look lost out there and arent quite sure what they are supposed to be doing.  Maybe its lack of game-shape but this team has skills, they have talent. They seem to lack a plan. 

I think at this point, barring a trade for a LHD, our most pressing need may be a new coach. 

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Imagine this team right now with Sergachev instead of Drouin it would be a much much better balance on D! 

You're assuming that Julien wouldnt bury Sergachev on the 3rd pair or on the black aces. 

Sergachev has also had the luxury of being on a terrific team in Tampa with a very capable D ( Hedman /McDonagh ) already and 2 or 3 star forwards hence his little above average point production .......hindsight is always 20/20 ..the Habs needed scoring at the time and Drouin is a gifted player ....maybe he'll show more but last year after a great start he got injured and never recovered in what many Hab fans thought looked like his break out year ....maybe Romanov can bring that missing factor on LD ....then again Tampa is in tough with the cap this year so who knows if Sergachev is staying anyway 

11 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Sergachev has also had the luxury of being on a terrific team in Tampa with a very capable D ( Hedman /McDonagh ) already and 2 or 3 star forwards hence his little above average point production .......hindsight is always 20/20 ..the Habs needed scoring at the time and Drouin is a gifted player ....maybe he'll show more but last year after a great start he got injured and never recovered in what many Hab fans thought looked like his break out year ....maybe Romanov can bring that missing factor on LD ....then again Tampa is in tough with the cap this year so who knows if Sergachev is staying anyway 

Doesn't matter if he stays and really the build in Tampa is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is Sergachev is exactly what we need.  The trade was horrible then and more so now, especially now that Drouin has no confidence, very little drive and absolutely no passion for the game.

28 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

... Sergachev is exactly what we need.  The trade was horrible then and more so now, especially now that Drouin has no confidence, very little drive and absolutely no passion for the game.

Very astute observation... I agree totally

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Very astute observation... I agree totally

I assume you guys saw that as a bad trade from the very beginning ...pretty astute 

2 hours ago, arpem-can said:

I assume you guys saw that as a bad trade from the very beginning ...pretty astute 

I saw it as a bad trade for sure! think about it who was going to replace Sergachev? much much harder to find good Dmen than forwards. and even though he was young he had all the right stuff to be very good and he is. Drouin was already a question mark with Tampa and small, skill is there but many more question marks even then.