H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,757 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Both can be true at the same time. Yes we’re missing a couple of contending pieces, but I think it is also true that we are on the right path. One good defensmen (maybe it’s Romanov) and one good forward (maybe it’s Caulfield) and wow, what a difference that would make. And their already in the system, toss in a big trade or FA signing in the off season, could make for a very interesting team next year.

I'm liking the fact (despite what others on these boards may think) that the Montreal top 4 D has been somewhat solidified with the emergence of Kulak's advanced play.....so  another interesting effect of advancing in these play-offs and showing everybody that the team has decent players and team chemistry is a UFA might consider to sign here...my wish list includes one player ..Hall ..give him enough coin and years ...he fills a gaping void in the line-up and Montreal has some cap room ...I'm imagining a power forward with grit to play with our future centres  Suzuki or KK .....whether he signs or not is another thing 

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Both can be true at the same time. Yes we’re missing a couple of contending pieces, but I think it is also true that we are on the right path. One good defensmen (maybe it’s Romanov) and one good forward (maybe it’s Caulfield) and wow, what a difference that would make. And their already in the system, toss in a big trade or FA signing in the off season, could make for a very interesting team next year.

Absolutely.  You can see with the series against Pittsburgh that while we may not have a Malkin or a Crosby we have a lot of depth with players in our bottom six.   

Imagine we were somehow able to add Krug and Hall this offseason (im not necessarily saying we should - there are long term implications to either of these signings, but just imagine for the short term).  We'd be a much different place. 

Of course that also feeds into the idea of losing & getting that shot at 1OVA.   You add lafreniere and then trade one of our top LW for a LHD and we're in even better shape (and for longer, with a cap friendly ELC to boot).  

12 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I'm liking the fact (despite what others on these boards may think) that the Montreal top 4 D has been somewhat solidified with the emergence of Kulak's advanced play.....so  another interesting effect of advancing in these play-offs and showing everybody that the team has decent players and team chemistry is a UFA might consider to sign here...my wish list includes one player ..Hall ..give him enough coin and years ...he fills a gaping void in the line-up and Montreal has some cap room ...I'm imagining a power forward with grit to play with our future centres  Suzuki or KK .....whether he signs or not is another thing 

I actually have always thought Kulak was better than he was given credit for.   In the past, when he made a goof, Julien would quickly demote him which of course leads to lack of confidence at making more mistakes but right now he seems like he's back at the top of his game, which is a solid #4d.

24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Absolutely.  You can see with the series against Pittsburgh that while we may not have a Malkin or a Crosby we have a lot of depth with players in our bottom six.   

Imagine we were somehow able to add Krug and Hall this offseason (im not necessarily saying we should - there are long term implications to either of these signings, but just imagine for the short term).  We'd be a much different place. 

Of course that also feeds into the idea of losing & getting that shot at 1OVA.   You add lafreniere and then trade one of our top LW for a LHD and we're in even better shape (and for longer, with a cap friendly ELC to boot).  

I actually have always thought Kulak was better than he was given credit for.   In the past, when he made a goof, Julien would quickly demote him which of course leads to lack of confidence at making more mistakes but right now he seems like he's back at the top of his game, which is a solid #4d.

Another thing to consider is extending Petry ...hopefully you could get a 3 or 4 year deal at Weber money ...he still has great wheels and will so for at least 3 more years  and he has proven how valuable he is to this club ..liking  Montreal and his teammates is another factor and his family is settled ...this can all be possible ( extending Petry , getting Hall for around 9 or 10 mill ) if the NHL allows one more buy-out ...Montreal has to spend all their cap room this year ......in a word Alzner ....

2 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Another thing to consider is extending Petry ...hopefully you could get a 3 or 4 year deal at Weber money ...he still has great wheels and will so for at least 3 more years  and he has proven how valuable he is to this club ..liking  Montreal and his teammates is another factor and his family is settled ...this can all be possible ( extending Petry , getting Hall for around 9 or 10 mill ) if the NHL allows one more buy-out ...Montreal has to spend all their cap room this year ......in a word Alzner ....

Actually there is another way to sign everyone that is being floated around by the GM's. Some not many mind you have suggested that a team should be allowed to carry unused cap space forward to the next season so say you have  4.5 Mil this year and the cap is 81.5 next year total space you can have will be 86 Mil. 

I feel like we can still win the series and draft Lafreniere IF the right team wins the lottery. We can offer better picks and prospects combined with some very good veterans to make a serious offer.

Example

2020 1st + Norlinder + Drouin/Domi + Caufield or 2021 1st other minor pieces may need to be added but I think it at least interests some teams.

4 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I feel like we can still win the series and draft Lafreniere IF the right team wins the lottery. We can offer better picks and prospects combined with some very good veterans to make a serious offer.

Example

2020 1st + Norlinder + Drouin/Domi + Caufield or 2021 1st other minor pieces may need to be added but I think it at least interests some teams.

There's probably a deal to be had if a team like Pittsburgh was to win the lottery.  A team that is basically just leaving its window & would give up an elite player like Lafreniere in order to land a few pieces that gives them the best shot to win in the next year or two.

In that case though, I dont think they are interested in Caufield or Norlinder type players.

Domi +  Gallagher + Petry or something.  The cost would be super high. and probably not worth it, but I think if a cup contender is upset in the play-in series and wins the lottery they might well give up that player for a few top end players. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

There's probably a deal to be had if a team like Pittsburgh was to win the lottery.  A team that is basically just leaving its window & would give up an elite player like Lafreniere in order to land a few pieces that gives them the best shot to win in the next year or two.

In that case though, I dont think they are interested in Caufield or Norlinder type players.

Domi +  Gallagher + Petry or something.  The cost would be super high. and probably not worth it, but I think if a cup contender is upset in the play-in series and wins the lottery they might well give up that player for a few top end players. 

Yeah I was thinking someone like the Rangers who are in the same situation as the Habs where they have a good core but need 1 or 2 good players to help facilitate the retool

So,,,, it's either Tampa or Flyers in the 1st round. Going to be tough.

Kulak is easily our best LHD. That said, he's not that great when he's not next to Petry, he just complements Petry very well. And yes, Kulak is better than Chiarot, who is a fine 3rd-pairing defenceman but largely overrated. Too bad we don't know what Romanov would be able to do and too bad Mete is playing the wrong side of the ice and hasn't really progressed much since his rookie break-in. None of Kulak, Chiarot, or Mete are ideally in your top 4 if you're a contender though.

The Habs played well against Pittsburgh and won this series pretty handily. They were the better team. That said, Pittsburgh has a 12.5% shot at Lafreniere and if you consider Montreal as having a 40% chance of winning each of its next 4 series, then they have maybe a 2-3% shot at winning the Cup. Then to boot, the top 10 pick is also out the window even if we ended up not winning the lottery. Right now, the odds are high that we'll be drafting 16th, and the player you get there is simply not as good as the one you get at 1st or 9th.

The one good thing to come out of winning is that there's nothing to lose by keeping on winning now. In other words, we as fans can feel good about cheering for the boys to win the rest of the way, so at least we don't have to watch games with mixed emotions about whether winning or losing is actually better for us.

38 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So,,,, it's either Tampa or Flyers in the 1st round. Going to be tough.

going to be tough anyway ...but everybody said that about Pitts. too ..

Habs in Leafs out is a pretty good place to be. Looks like our youth will get some valuable playoff experience. Hoping for Tampa as Philly has had our number lately.

18 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Habs in Leafs out is a pretty good place to be. Looks like our youth will get some valuable playoff experience. Hoping for Tampa as Philly has had our number lately.

Leafs lucked out in the last 3 mins to get to overtime ...they're not out yet ....dammit lol

Suggesting that the team that drafts Lafrenniere, someone who is being touted as elite and possibly generational would trade him is a pipe dream ... we would literally have to sell everything including the kitchen sink to get him.    For example, if Pens draft him ... why would they trade him?   Their two stars Crosby (33) and Malkin (34) have maybe 3-4 years left in them ... drafting Laf puts him with two elite players to learn from and to take the torch when they retire while he's hitting prime (22-23) and he's coming off his ELC.  

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Suggesting that the team that drafts Lafrenniere, someone who is being touted as elite and possibly generational would trade him is a pipe dream ... we would literally have to sell everything including the kitchen sink to get him.    For example, if Pens draft him ... why would they trade him?   Their two stars Crosby (33) and Malkin (34) have maybe 3-4 years left in them ... drafting Laf puts him with two elite players to learn from and to take the torch when they retire while he's hitting prime (22-23) and he's coming off his ELC.  

yep

Looks like we won't be playing again until Mon. or Tues. That would give Gally a chance to heal. 

Pitts was supposed to win this series ...nobody even gave Montreal the slightest chance .Pitts added at the deadline - Montreal subtracted . The Habs did this without Tatar , Armia & Domi scoring . Drouin had one goal . A rookie Suzuki took on Crosby and Malkin and came out ahead . KK played very well and Danault owned the circle .Team commitment and a solid D shut down  2 of the top play-off seasoned players in the game ( not to mentioned a strong supporting cast ) and  Cary Price showed us why he earns the big bucks . Montreal did this 5 on 5 and with their team speed . If the PP showing any life at all in the next round it's a bonus .This is a shot in the arm for Hab fans everywhere . The play-off experience is invaluable as every one has agreed .

We face either Tampa or Philly depending on who wins their tie breaker tonight ... I'd prefer Philly

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

We face either Tampa or Philly depending on who wins their tie breaker tonight ... I'd prefer Philly

Yeah its a toss up for me.  A lot of stats guys seem to think we match up better against TB but honestly i think either is going to be very tough. 

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah its a toss up for me.  A lot of stats guys seem to think we match up better against TB but honestly i think either is going to be very tough. 

yep it will be a tough road for us no matter who we play from here on out. that being said we do have some guy's who can make a difference if the team stays healthy and come out strong every night we could do some damage but i fear we will get shut down and lose our edge if that happens we are toast!

On 8/8/2020 at 11:54 PM, arpem-can said:

Pitts was supposed to win this series ...nobody even gave Montreal the slightest chance .Pitts added at the deadline - Montreal subtracted . The Habs did this without Tatar , Armia & Domi scoring . Drouin had one goal . A rookie Suzuki took on Crosby and Malkin and came out ahead . KK played very well and Danault owned the circle .Team commitment and a solid D shut down  2 of the top play-off seasoned players in the game ( not to mentioned a strong supporting cast ) and  Cary Price showed us why he earns the big bucks . Montreal did this 5 on 5 and with their team speed . If the PP showing any life at all in the next round it's a bonus .This is a shot in the arm for Hab fans everywhere . The play-off experience is invaluable as every one has agreed .

IMHO, eliminating the Penguins was the biggest upset of the qualifying rounds! Sure there were other surprise outcomes, but if you compare roster quality between head-to-head opponents, the disparity between Penguins and Habs was the greatest.  

That's probably the sole 2019/2020 post-season highlight for the Habs. :ph34r: 

39 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

IMHO, eliminating the Penguins was the biggest upset of the qualifying rounds! Sure there were other surprise outcomes, but if you compare roster quality between head-to-head opponents, the disparity between Penguins and Habs was the greatest.  

That's probably the sole 2019/2020 post-season highlight for the Habs. :ph34r: 

Hang on to your hat, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Does anyone know Jake Evans status ? ....I'm wondering if he is under concussion protocol ....we might yet need him for this series 

5 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Does anyone know Jake Evans status ? ....I'm wondering if he is under concussion protocol ....we might yet need him for this series 

I'd like to see Poehling in myself. He has size speed good hands and has stepped up in big games. He was one of the best players in his last world juniors. He's god in the corners and hopefully JK can take the punishment because in the Pitts series he was knocked down or off the puck a lot. 

6 hours ago, arpem-can said:

I havent seen anything official but before the last game Julien said he was "questionable" which makes me think there wasnt concussion concerns, but it could just be Julien being vague/ using headgames. 

27 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I'd like to see Poehling in myself. He has size speed good hands and has stepped up in big games. He was one of the best players in his last world juniors. He's god in the corners and hopefully JK can take the punishment because in the Pitts series he was knocked down or off the puck a lot. 

Id rather see Poehling than Belizille or Weal for sure.   Evans is still a good option (and probably more NHL ready) but Poehling should get at least a chance.  Honestly, id consider

Poehling - Domi - Evans

if everyone was able to go but i dont see Weise coming out - and i actually dont think he's been terrible, but if we're trying to give our future players a chance here... well Weise cant really be in our "future" can he? 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

I havent seen anything official but before the last game Julien said he was "questionable" which makes me think there wasnt concussion concerns, but it could just be Julien being vague/ using headgames. 

Id rather see Poehling than Belizille or Weal for sure.   Evans is still a good option (and probably more NHL ready) but Poehling should get at least a chance.  Honestly, id consider

Poehling - Domi - Evans

if everyone was able to go but i dont see Weise coming out - and i actually dont think he's been terrible, but if we're trying to give our future players a chance here... well Weise cant really be in our "future" can he? 

Well, you do know who the GM is, right? 

13 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Well, you do know who the GM is, right? 

Touche