H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

280 posts in this topic

Bergevin will screw things up yet!  I think we got lucky last year, any injury to Price and we are in deep shit.  We rely way too much on him, need a coach that can play todays game of fast hockey

2 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Bergevin will screw things up yet!  I think we got lucky last year, any injury to Price and we are in deep shit.  We rely way too much on him, need a coach that can play todays game of fast hockey

I thought Jullien did a better job than in the past utilizing the teams speed. We're not a big team so we really didn't play grind it out hockey last year. I did like that he got the team to buy into never quitting also. All season even games we were down in it still seemed like we had a chance and weren't giving up. If you look at it though St. Louis doesn't play a Tampa style game they play more of an old school heavy in your face game. They've really only have a couple of game breakers. Even Washington the year before it wasn't until Trots came along and made them play a better defensive game they actually won the cup. The run and gun is fun to watch but you still have to have a good defensive structure to work with to win in the playoffs. Boston's down fall I believe was when the games were called tighter it actually didn't help them because their team actually relied to much on their power play. When the didn't score on the pp or had very few chances they weren't as effective. The Habs last year were actually a good 5 on 5 team. Yes I want to see the PP get better(how couldn't it) but we didn't have to rely on it. That I believed hurt Tampa also , as good as they were if they didn't score on the PP 5 on 5 you had a chance to beat them. We can debate how the playoffs are called , but until it changes the games are called differently , giving more of an advantage to a strong 5 on 5 team.

Key points from Bergevin presser this afternoon:

- Benn will go to free agency to test market

- McCarron was qualified

- Still hopes to see Hudon back in camp next season

- Says team still plans to go with youth and speed and be careful about over-spending on July 1st. Says he can't over-spend now and have no money to re-sign Kotkaniemi and Domi.

- Hasn't decided on buyouts yet, says still possible they buy out someone like Alzner

Posted (edited)

Buying out Alzner would be alright. Next season it would hurt when he counts as $4.2 million against the cap, but the other five seasons (this season, and the last four) the cap hit would be manageable. When does the buyout window close? June 30th at 5:00 p.m. EST.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

It makes no sense to buyout alzner. Like 0 sense 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

- McCarron was qualified

- Says team still plans to go with youth and speed and be careful about over-spending on July 1st. Says he can't over-spend now and have no money to re-sign Kotkaniemi and Domi.

- Hasn't decided on buyouts yet, says still possible they buy out someone like Alzner

Bergy saying all the right things thats for sure.  Lets hope he does what he says.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

- McCarron was qualified

Except if you spend during FA you still have the option of making trades later to resign players

15 hours ago, habsisme said:

It makes no sense to buyout alzner. Like 0 sense 

Well. It might IF the team desperately needs some extra cap space for this season. Which I doubt we will. But who knows? My preference is to just bury him in the minors again this season and get the temporary one million-something cap savings from him being buried. Maybe a buyout will make more sense next season. I'm not sure how exactly the cap hits are determined after a buyout.

The NHL salary cap for next season has been set at $81.5 million, which is $1.5 lower than initially projected.

On 6/23/2019 at 0:16 AM, kinot-2 said:

The NHL salary cap for next season has been set at $81.5 million, which is $1.5 lower than initially projected.

According to Capgeek we've got about $10.2 million to work with. However, that includes Alzner's $4.625 million, which may get buried for an extra million in savings. We also still need to resign Lehkonen and Armia.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

According to Capgeek we've got about $10.2 million to work with. However, that includes Alzner's $4.625 million, which may get buried for an extra million in savings. We also still need to resign Lehkonen and Armia.

Wonder if we could pull off a Dubas and move Alzner and a 2nd to a team for a 3rd or 4th rounder next year

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Wonder if we could pull off a Dubas and move Alzner and a 2nd to a team for a 3rd or 4th rounder next year

I'm doubtful. I feel like Marleau only having one year left on his deal was a big reason why Carolina took him on. I think they've even said they will buy him out if he doesn't want to play in Carolina. Alzner has three years left on his deal. Marleau is also probably still partly useful at the NHL level.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Highly doubt it.   Marleau is still a useful player with a grossly inflated salary.  Alzner is basically no longer an NHL player, at any salary. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Highly doubt it.   Marleau is still a useful player with a grossly inflated salary.  Alzner is basically no longer an NHL player, at any salary. 

but if the intent is to buy him lout just like with Marleau then who cares what his salary is or if he is even an NHL player

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

but if the intent is to buy him lout just like with Marleau then who cares what his salary is or if he is even an NHL player

Yes exactly but as Jennifer_Rocket said its a one year deal. We're stuck with his cap hit this year. Next year his actual salary drops and its only 2 years remaining so we MIGHT be able to move him

I dont see why we need the cap space this year anyway. If anything I would like to take on a bad contract that has one year left

Unless we trade for an LD but we have enough space for that

35 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

The intent was never to buy out Marleau - unless he didnt want to play in Carolina.   I would bet you all 31 teams would gladly put Marleau on their roster if he was making league minimum.    I dont know if there's a single team that would add Alzner at any price.   And as mentioned, contract length is a big difference here too.

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

Yes exactly but as Jennifer_Rocket said its a one year deal. We're stuck with his cap hit this year. Next year his actual salary drops and its only 2 years remaining so we MIGHT be able to move him

I dont see why we need the cap space this year anyway. If anything I would like to take on a bad contract that has one year left

Unless we trade for an LD but we have enough space for that

I see what your saying about his contract length I didn't think about that 

Posted (edited)

Also... just to create a clearer picture of what happens when Marleau and Alzner are bought it (should that happen), here are the numbers.

Marleau is 35+, so a buy-out has no impact on his cap hit. He's $6.25 million against the cap for the Hurricanes next season, no matter what (unless they trade him).

If Alzner gets bought out, this is how his cap hit unfolds between now and 2025:

$1,069,444

$4,194,444

$2,194,444

$1,069,444

$1,069,444

$1,069,444

Edited by jennifer_rocket

Posted (edited)

We are really solid after this draft heck even Craig Button feels we have the deepest young talent of all canadian teams. after years of making do with other teams scraps i actually think we may be on track. one good #2 LHD and we are in good shape for a couple of years at least, even if it is a two or three year deal until some of our younger talent comes up.

Edited by ramcharger440

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Also... just to create a clearer picture of what happens when Marleau and Alzner are bought it (should that happen), here are the numbers.

Marleau is 35+, so a buy-out has no impact on his cap hit. He's $6.25 million against the cap for the Hurricanes next season, no matter what (unless they trade him).

If Alzner gets bought out, this is how his cap hit unfolds between now and 2025:

$1,069,444

$4,194,444

$2,194,444

$1,069,444

$1,069,444

$1,069,444

We don't think about this being in a high-revenue city like Montreal, but buying out Marleau does save the owner a small amount of money. Instead of paying his actual salary of 1.25M, they would owe him 1/3 of that this year and 1/3 next year in actual dollars. Not a big savings, but if every penny counts in a small hockey market, they might still do it for that reason...

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

$1,069,444 Saving of 2 million

$4,194,444 COST of 1 million

$2,194,444 Savings of 1 million

$1,069,444 ALL COST

$1,069,444 ALL COST

$1,069,444 ALL COST

I would honestly be mad if they bought him out this year, its just not necessary 

45 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

We don't think about this being in a high-revenue city like Montreal, but buying out Marleau does save the owner a small amount of money. Instead of paying his actual salary of 1.25M, they would owe him 1/3 of that this year and 1/3 next year in actual dollars. Not a big savings, but if every penny counts in a small hockey market, they might still do it for that reason...

no at his age, I think they have to pay him everything. Its not just the cap, the money too

46 minutes ago, habsisme said:

no at his age, I think they have to pay him everything. Its not just the cap, the money too

Don't think so. Here's the capfriendly link:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/patrick-marleau#results

They would owe him his entire 3M signing bonus, but in terms of the 1.25M salary, that becomes 416k paid in each of the next two years. The player doesn't get extra guaranteed money for being over 35, it's only the cap hit that is not removed so as to discourage teams from creating front-loaded contracts with the intent of having an older player retire early while keeping the cap low. Again, not a huge amount in Marleau's case, but it would still save the Canes a bit of money...

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Don't think so. Here's the capfriendly link:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/patrick-marleau#results

They would owe him his entire 3M signing bonus, but in terms of the 1.25M salary, that becomes 416k paid in each of the next two years. The player doesn't get extra guaranteed money for being over 35, it's only the cap hit that is not removed so as to discourage teams from creating front-loaded contracts with the intent of having an older player retire early while keeping the cap low. Again, not a huge amount in Marleau's case, but it would still save the Canes a bit of money...

ah cool, i didn't know that

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

We are really solid after this draft heck even Craig Button feels we have the deepest young talent of all canadian teams. after years of making do with other teams scraps i actually think we may be on track. one good #2 LHD and we are in good shape for a couple of years at least, even if it is a two or three year deal until some of our younger talent comes up.

Nice to see losing/being mediocre for a few seasons has some benefit.