H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,630 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Nice to see losing/being mediocre/ our suffering for a few seasons has some benefit. 

Fixed

14 hours ago, habsisme said:

I would honestly be mad if they bought him out this year, its just not necessary 

I agree. I think the best thing to do is simply bury him in Laval again. We save a small amount off the cap. Perhaps a buyout next year will make more sense depending on if we need extra cap space to resign Domi.

If we buyout Alzner in June of 2020, here's how it looks:

$3,958,333

$1,958,333

$833,333

$833,333

I think it's this weird $1,500,000 bonus scheduled to be paid in the 2020-2021 season that kind of messes things up. Why did Bergevin agree to so many stupid things with this contract?

Edited by jennifer_rocket

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

We don't think about this being in a high-revenue city like Montreal, but buying out Marleau does save the owner a small amount of money. Instead of paying his actual salary of 1.25M, they would owe him 1/3 of that this year and 1/3 next year in actual dollars. Not a big savings, but if every penny counts in a small hockey market, they might still do it for that reason...

Very true. Saving a few hundred thousand dollars doesn't really matter to us. Might mean something more to Carolina.

17 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Nice to see losing/being mediocre for a few seasons has some benefit. 

Yep that is pretty much how it has worked for every team in the nhl the last 10-15 years or so.

Canadiens invite 39 players to this week's development camp in Brossard

Seven of 10 players selected at last weekend's NHL Draft — including first-round pick Cole Caufield — will be on ice starting Wednesday.

Details here:

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/canadiens-invite-39-players-to-this-weeks-development-camp-in-brossard

Mike Reilly resigned to a 2 year deal worth $1.5m/year.  Cant find any info on whether its 1 or 2 way but I assume 1.   

Im glad they resigned him. I felt like they might walk away after all the scratches last year but at some points early in the season he looked like he was a bonafide top 4 option.  He has some definite skills.    Probably wont pan out beyond a #4-6 guy but still worth keeping the asset if we have room. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Mike Reilly resigned to a 2 year deal worth $1.5m/year.  Cant find any info on whether its 1 or 2 way but I assume 1.   

Im glad they resigned him. I felt like they might walk away after all the scratches last year but at some points early in the season he looked like he was a bonafide top 4 option.  He has some definite skills.    Probably wont pan out beyond a #4-6 guy but still worth keeping the asset if we have room. 

Surprised it's a two-year contract, but the AAV seems very fair. Hopefully he can put together a more consistent season in 2019-2020.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Surprised it's a two-year contract, but the AAV seems very fair. Hopefully he can put together a more consistent season in 2019-2020.

I have a feeling this is more a precautionary signing, everyone already knows our hole at LHD and after letting Benn walk we had to sign someone Rielly made  the most sense.

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I have a feeling this is more a precautionary signing, everyone already knows our hole at LHD and after letting Benn walk we had to sign someone Rielly made  the most sense.

Possibly. I just hope it isn't a signal that Bergevin expects to strike out on bringing in outside assistance at the LD position.

59 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Possibly. I just hope it isn't a signal that Bergevin expects to strike out on bringing in outside assistance at the LD position.

even if he does, and I do hope we can get some, we can always make a deal in season, and I believe Romanov is available to us at the end of the year 

30 minutes ago, habsisme said:

even if he does, and I do hope we can get some, we can always make a deal in season, and I believe Romanov is available to us at the end of the year 

Yeah his contract obligations expire March 20th so I can see him coming over and playing as soon as possible after that cause he will still have playoff obligations as well 

Wait. What? Is Romanov a top-four NHL caliber defenceman? :blink: When did that happen?

59 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Wait. What? Is Romanov a top-four NHL caliber defenceman? :blink: When did that happen?

lol maybe....? 

15 hours ago, habsisme said:

lol maybe....? 

Certainly, I am excited for Romanov to come to North America (whenever that happens). I hope he will be a contributor to our team for many, many years to come. But as a solution to our problem at LD in the short-term? I am doubtful.

What's with the tacky T-shirt again this year? Last year it was an attitude one, and this year it's earned not entitled. Is MB testing out his new future career? :lol:

15 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

What's with the tacky T-shirt again this year? Last year it was an attitude one, and this year it's earned not entitled. Is MB testing out his new future career? :lol:

I say we bring back "No excuses!" Because irony! :lol:

Ya know, IMO, (which is just my opinion), I don't think that we need a high priced forward or D-man. IMO, we need a backup goalie more. I wouldn't mind them spending 2.5 to 3.5 for a reliable backup. we all know that Carey can't carry all/most of the load. If a reliable backup can win 12-15 games out of 20 games, then I would be happy. IMO, that's all we need. 

Edited by kinot-2

5 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, IMO, (which is just my opinion), I don't think that we need a high priced forward or D-man. IMO, we need a backup goalie more. I wouldn't mind them spending 2.5 to 3.5 for a reliable backup. we all know that Carey can't carry all/most of the load. If a reliable backup can win 12-15 games out of 20 games, then I would be happy. IMO, that's all we need. 

I think, based on last year's lack of positive results from Niemi, a better performance from the back-up goalie could mean a trip to the playoffs this year. Providing Price is as good as he was lat year of course.

8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

A lot of teams in the east are getting better. Making the playoffs next season will be even tougher. Standing pat would be a huge mistake. 

Sign Duchene if it works in the cap space we have. But we have to get a quality LD. Not filling that void, would possibly leave us out of the playoffs, yet again. That is just not acceptable.. An abundance of backup goalies available at a lot cheaper price, Cam Ward would be my pick.

2 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

A lot of teams in the east are getting better. Making the playoffs next season will be even tougher. Standing pat would be a huge mistake. 

Sign Duchene if it works in the cap space we have. But we have to get a quality LD. Not filling that void, would possibly leave us out of the playoffs, yet again. That is just not acceptable.. An abundance of backup goalies available at a lot cheaper price, Cam Ward would be my pick.

I don't mind Ward and am intrigued at the prospect of Kinkade. I know he wasn't great last season but I also think as a backup playing no more then 25 games a season in the past he has been stellar. His career numbers show he is a good goalie with last season being the outlier, I think a tandom of Price and Kinkade could be as good as Price and Ward either way we need a DECENT backup

The backup position has to be #1 priority for MB. Not sure Charlie is the answer and hopefully MB isn't leaning that way. How many points did we lose last season because of backup goaltending? If we had snagged a couple extra wins, we were in the picture and even had the Leafs in our sights. We can't have Price playing those back to back nights like he did late last season, because the staff had no confidence in the #2 guy. 

15 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't mind Ward and am intrigued at the prospect of Kinkade. I know he wasn't great last season but I also think as a backup playing no more then 25 games a season in the past he has been stellar. His career numbers show he is a good goalie with last season being the outlier, I think a tandom of Price and Kinkade could be as good as Price and Ward either way we need a DECENT backup

Also another option for me but highly doubt MB would do it would be Subban from Vegas. It's too bad Jordan is a RHD for the Marlies saw him play in Belleville he was better than PK. Better skater more defensively responsible and had better offensive numbers. Plus he is a UFA now would have been a steal if we weren't so deep on the right or if he was a LHD. 

Edited by campabee82

10 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I personally feel like with the influx of talent (Poehling, Suzuki) some better health (Weber, Juulsen) and the continued improvement of our young players (JK, Domi) we should make the playoffs with this roster. 

That doesnt mean I wouldnt sign someone. I think we have holes & Id do my best to fill them.  To me they are, in order:

#1 LD,  Backup G, Top 2 RW

Some may get solved internally (is Suzuki a top 2 RW?).  Some are easy to solve (Backup) but LD is the real problem area because: we dont need just "another LD" we have like 8 of them.  We need a guy who is head and shoulders clearly better than: Mete, Kulka, Oloffson, Reilly,  etc etc   And that may be tough to get.

Is it possible that  Leskinen is that guy? Sure.  Its also possible Mete will make a huge leap and turn into a #1. Or that Olofsson will suddenly shed the injuries that have plagued him his whole career.  But i sure dont want to go into the season banking on one of those things happening.

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I personally feel like with the influx of talent (Poehling, Suzuki) some better health (Weber, Juulsen) and the continued improvement of our young players (JK, Domi) we should make the playoffs with this roster. 

That doesnt mean I wouldnt sign someone. I think we have holes & Id do my best to fill them.  To me they are, in order:

#1 LD,  Backup G, Top 2 RW

Some may get solved internally (is Suzuki a top 2 RW?).  Some are easy to solve (Backup) but LD is the real problem area because: we dont need just "another LD" we have like 8 of them.  We need a guy who is head and shoulders clearly better than: Mete, Kulka, Oloffson, Reilly,  etc etc   And that may be tough to get.

Is it possible that  Leskinen is that guy? Sure.  Its also possible Mete will make a huge leap and turn into a #1. Or that Olofsson will suddenly shed the injuries that have plagued him his whole career.  But i sure dont want to go into the season banking on one of those things happening.

I would be comfortable with heading into the season banking on any one of the options at LHD working out with Romanov playing so well in the KHL and being available near the end of the year. IF you filled the other 2 needs especially the backup goalie.

Bergevin better do something with that Cap space, otherwise we'll be on the outside looking in yet again.

Devils added Hughes, Subban, Simmonds.

Flyers added Hayes, Niskanen, Hartman.

Rangers added Panarin, Kakko, Trouba.

Panthers added Bobrovsky, Connolly, Stralman.

Not an exhaustive list and even if some teams like CLB got weaker, it seems that virtually every team that finished below us in the standings got stronger. Adding Kinkaid and trading Shaw for picks doesn't make us a playoff team IMO.