H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,757 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The only place I hear about how great Romanov is here . Is he really a great  prospect or do we hope he is what this team  is missing and are over estimating how good he really is or can be . Just asking because I never hear anything about this kid any where but on this site . I ve seen so many guys come up and try to be a top flight D man and now apparently there ;s one in the waiting in Russia .  If he is great but I 'll wait and see 'cause playing in the NHL is a lot different

He's played against men for the past two full seasons, which is very uncommon in the KHL. He's also considered very responsible given his age, a good skater and hitter. However, there are question marks surrounding his offence, which isn't entirely uncommon for young defencemen though. For what it's worth, most experts currently rank him as our #2 prospect behind Caufield. It doesn't matter though because you're absolutely right, there's the potential of him becoming a top 4 guy for us down the road and that's it. Nobody knows how he'll adapt to the NA game or when he'll come over.

State: miserable

outlook: cloudy at best

I often read about Caufield and Romanov here. Checking in on elite prospects I see few guys with quite some points in their junior leagues. Any input on what we can expect of Cam Hillis(seems to have a nice rebound year), Fonstad or Harvey-Pinard? Or too early to tell?

30 minutes ago, Shutoutfan said:

I often read about Caufield and Romanov here. Checking in on elite prospects I see few guys with quite some points in their junior leagues. Any input on what we can expect of Cam Hillis(seems to have a nice rebound year), Fonstad or Harvey-Pinard? Or too early to tell?

I haven't seen them play myself but from what I've read, it's still very early and they'll need several years of development before they get to the point where they could make an impact. Hillis has a ton of skill but needs to add strength at the pro level, while Fonstad and Harvey-Pinard currently project as bottom six players or AHL/NHL tweeners. Again, it's very early, so this has to be taken with a grain of salt, but Harris, Struble, Norlinder, and even Ylonen seem to have a more upside.

8 hours ago, arpem-can said:

I don't completely agree because Malamacian qualified his statement by saying " current roster " so we don't get to include along with Lehtonen , Mete , Price and Gallagher that KK , Poehling and Fleury (all natural draft picks)and  part of this club this year and will be back up now that Cousins , Thompson and Kovalchuk are gone .. Romanov considered to be an outstanding prospect and a good bet to make the club next year ( drafted by the Habs and who cares how you got the pick ? ) …Caulfield and Primeau  could make that 8 or 9 draftees on the team instead of 4 ...….Suzuki and Domi all higher draft picks  than what you get from a Cup contender if you got their 1st round pick ….there are only so many McDavids and  Crosbys and in the years they enter the  draft gms know who they are and never give up their higher picks ….it's not an easy game to play unless you get a top  pick in a year a superstar is available or it's an outstanding draft year ...and they're not that frequent .

Those are all maybe's though. Every team can list a bunch of prospects who are unproven and believe they could be great. Colorado can say that in addition to their roster, they have Byram, Timmins, Newhook, etc. waiting. Other teams can do the same. Yes, maybe we will have more picks coming onto the roster soon or maybe not. Regardless of how the new picks do, the fact remains that MB made a bunch of picks from 2012-16 where very few are still here. Either they didn't pan out or they were traded. He also traded most of his predecessor's good draft picks. So it's just hard to sit there and hear him say "all the good teams build through the draft, so that's what we'll continue to do" because that's really not the approach he's taken thus far.

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The only place I hear about how great Romanov is here . Is he really a great  prospect or do we hope he is what this team  is missing and are over estimating how good he really is or can be . Just asking because I never hear anything about this kid any where but on this site . I ve seen so many guys come up and try to be a top flight D man and now apparently there ;s one in the waiting in Russia .  If he is great but I 'll wait and see 'cause playing in the NHL is a lot different

It's not true that the only place you hear about how " good "  Romanov is on this forum ...I've heard it elsewhere several times 

7 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

It's not true that the only place you hear about how " good "  Romanov is on this forum ...I've heard it elsewhere several times 

There have been several articles and sportscasts about it you just have to look.  Mackenzie has said he is excited to see what Romanov will do once he comes over and that he has the offensive skill to be a top 2 D man just that the role his coach currently uses him in doesn't allow for him to showcase it as much.

2 hours ago, Shutoutfan said:

I saw him play the Knights this year ..a good all-round player , captain of the club , leads Guelph in scoring , played in all situations ..responsible defensively , smooth skater albeit not a big player ...he's decently good and having a resurgence after some really bad luck injury-wise last year that saw him play only a handful of games ..flip the coin on whether he makes the NHL however .

Just now, campabee82 said:

There have been several articles and sportscasts about it you just have to look.  Mackenzie has said he is excited to see what Romanov will do once he comes over and that he has the offensive skill to be a top 2 D man just that the role his coach currently uses him in doesn't allow for him to showcase it as much.

Button as well has been  high on this kid 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Those are all maybe's though. Every team can list a bunch of prospects who are unproven and believe they could be great. Colorado can say that in addition to their roster, they have Byram, Timmins, Newhook, etc. waiting. Other teams can do the same. Yes, maybe we will have more picks coming onto the roster soon or maybe not. Regardless of how the new picks do, the fact remains that MB made a bunch of picks from 2012-16 where very few are still here. Either they didn't pan out or they were traded. He also traded most of his predecessor's good draft picks. So it's just hard to sit there and hear him say "all the good teams build through the draft, so that's what we'll continue to do" because that's really not the approach he's taken thus far.

My post was in response to the statement that there were only 4 "current " draft picks on the team . In fact there are 30 in the system since 2015 . This draft will see another slew . It looks to me that Bergevin is not giving up draft picks and hasn't for at least the last 3 drafts since he discovered rental players rarely work out . It looks like he's been acquiring draft picks to me .

5 hours ago, arpem-can said:

My post was in response to the statement that there were only 4 "current " draft picks on the team . In fact there are 30 in the system since 2015 . This draft will see another slew . It looks to me that Bergevin is not giving up draft picks and hasn't for at least the last 3 drafts since he discovered rental players rarely work out . It looks like he's been acquiring draft picks to me .

But they do only have 4 of their own picks currently on the NHL roster. We can talk all we want about recent picks being in the system, but those are not the guys MB has built his current roster with. Bergevin's comment was that he would continue to build his roster through the draft, as if he's been doing this all along, yet it's clear his roster is mainly made up of players he has traded for and signed. You're right that maybe this will change, but there's no proof yet that he won't just turn around and trade Kotkaniemi or Ylonen or Mete or Brook in the near future and there's certainly no proof that the draft picks he's made will be able to constitute the core of the team going forward. We'll see. All we can say is that the current roster is largely not built around the draft, and if it took Bergevin 6 years to decide he wanted to change philosophies, then IMO, it's too late and it's time to move on to the next guy. How long will it take Bergevin to realize he needs to trade veterans to get more NHL-ready prospects and high picks? The journalists at his press conference yesterday asked him that question about 5 times and he kept saying he doesn't want to trade known commodities for futures where there's doubt about what they become, so all he's doing now is casting off fringe players for mid-round picks, and frankly that doesn't accelerate the process of becoming elite. He's picked up a large quantity of picks, but if you look at the history of drafts in recent years, one mid-round 1st rounder has about the same chance of becoming a regular NHLer as a mid-2nd, late 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th round pick combined. And the 1st rounder probably has a higher chance of being an impact player. So sure, we have quantity in terms of picks, but not quality, which is exactly how Bergevin has built the roster too... lots of depth and fringe players who are good for 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairing D men but no elite players. No top draft picks means we're not likely to have elite players coming either. So the cycle continues... until Bergevin discovers that he needs to deal away the likes of Tatar, Petry, Weber, and so on while they still have value, we win nothing.

Just a thought, but Henrik Lundqvist down to No.3 on the Rangers depth charts, would he be a viable backup for this team?  There would be a question whether he would be interested.  Lundqvist also has one year left on his contract.  Or is this just too wild an idea?  

Edited by CANADIENS27

50 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Just a thought, but Henrik Lundqvist down to No.3 on the Rangers depth charts, would he be a viable backup for this team?  There would be a question whether he would be interested.  Lundqvist also has one year left on his contract.  Or is this just too wild an idea?  

I’d guess that he is still going to want to be the main guy, wherever he winds up. On the other hand, looks like Halak might be available...

33 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I’d guess that he is still going to want to be the main guy, wherever he winds up. On the other hand, looks like Halak might be available...

Who? Never heard of him..

21 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

After Bergevin's press conference today, it is very clear we will never win anything until he's fired. And the longer we wait, the longer we will go without a Cup. He's too afraid to commit to building a winner. Several members of the press asked him today if he would sacrifice next season in order to be better long-term and he stuttered and stammered and didn't really have an answer. When he was pressed again, he made comments about not wanting to trade players who were still useful for picks or players who weren't proven. He's got zero idea how to build a team. Zero.

He then talked about how the Habs have to stick with the plan and build their team through the draft. But look at his roster. Danault? Trade acquisition. Tatar? Same. Suzuki? Same. Domi? Here via trade. Drouin too. Weber. Petry. Kulak. Kovalchuk until he left. We've traded for Weise twice. Armia? Trade. Byron? Waivers. Chiarot and Alzner and Lindgren? Free agency. Who are the Habs' draft picks on the current roster? Price. Gallagher. Lehkonen. Mete. 4 guys. And two of them came in drafts from before Bergevin got here. So literally, we have exactly two players on our 23-man roster right now that Bergevin drafted himself, yet he's here preaching about how his mantra is to build the roster through the draft. For a guy who is entering his 9th draft in a few months, with very little success to show for his drafts and very little success to show for his club, he really hasn't followed that mantra very closely. His best/highest picks are mainly gone... Sergachev. Galchenyuk. Scherbak. McCarron. De La Rose. Andrighetto. Maybe there's not much there, but he hasn't been very patient in developing picks or he hasn't put the right people in place to develop them or both.

Now maybe the drafting in the past few years has been better. Maybe he'll keep more of those guys around. But we're still yet to see that happen. And right now, he hasn't committed to helping the incoming core of draftees. He hasn't helped to surround them with talent that will be hitting prime in 2-3 years with them, when the Kotkaniemi's and Suzuki's and Romanov's and Primeau's might be able to put together a Cup run.

I'll come back to looking at clubs like Ottawa and Vancouver and New York. Go back 2-3 years ago and ask yourself whether these clubs would be closer or further than the Habs to winning a Cup. As it stands, I think all three clubs are closer, and none of them are particularly close. None of these clubs is likely to win anything in the next 2 years, but Vancouver has built a core around legit stars. Petterson. Hughes. Boeser. Three legit young stars. Ottawa has White and Chabot and Brannstrom and Tkachuk and they're adding a bunch of 1st round picks to that, including two likely top 5-7 picks and a really good shot at Lafreniere. This despite a meddling cheapskate for an owner. Look at New York, who have a star young goalie rising up and who have added tons of 1st round picks and have re-stocked their prospect shelves. And it didn't stop them from signing Panarin, but they managed to re-build everything and sell off all their aging veterans for 1st rounders and good returns. They didn't try to re-build by selling 4th liners for 4th round picks. They sold past-prime top 6 players for 1st rounders. They sold Skjei today for a 1st. The mantra there has been to sell declining assets BEFORE they lose value. And now they're ahead of us. Bergevin meanwhile has shown no clue about buying low and selling high. He's been depreciating his own assets by ripping them in the media and having his coaches bench them or move them to less desirable positions and then selling low. Subban. Galchenyuk. Pacioretty. Plekanec. Andrighetto. And so on. And does anyone get the same feeling it's happening to Domi? If you're planning on moving him, you leave him as a top 6 center and you appreciate his value and you deal him when his value is high. Instead, the Habs moved him to the wing and saw his defensive play drop off and then moved him back as a 3C and now no one knows what he's worth, and maybe his contract battle gets ugly. Seen it already. That's classic Bergevin/Habs. Cause your player's value to plummet then try to get out at the ground floor. If they wanted to move him, they should have moved him when they foresaw moving Suzuki to center. We'll see if Domi stays or goes, but it feels like maybe they're going to move him at the wrong time. Tatar. Petry. Weber. All had moments this season when their values were as high as they've been since they got here. We'll see what their values are when they leave, via trade or the expansion draft or retirement. Drive them into the ground and walk away when they're worth a fraction of what they were... Markov. Emelin. Plekanec. Parenteau. It's a pattern. Bergevin can't sell high because he's so afraid he's giving up something of value, but when the asset depreciates and he's ready to move on, then so have his trade suitors. I just don't see growth from this GM.

Great post. That press conference, oh my god if I wasn't already at rock bottom with this team, that sure put me there. 

Let me add a couple of things

1. you mentioned how he used suzuki....a guy he didnt draft....as an example of how he is building through the draft. the tragically hilarious thing though, is how exactly DID we get him?  The ONE time he did the right thing and moved on from a vet while he still had trade value ( and boy did he ever not want to do it, waited til the absolute last second, and got extremely lucky that not only the prospect he DIDNT want panned out so well, but that the throw in he ALSO DIDNT WANT panned out so well)

so, yeah marc, look at suzuki! now go do that a good 3 or 4 more times with the many prime candidates on this team? nah. cant jeopardize our run for 8th place next year.

2. building through the draft...... first of all, what does that even mean. every team drafts every year.....ok anyway....we went and got some draft picks. traded our nobodies for nothing draft picks, but hey lots of draft picks, cause we are building through the draft.  except...he tried to extend every one of those guys!!!!! If he had his first choice, we dont get ANY picks!

3. amidst his incoherent babbling about the "core" he made a comment about how they need them to do more. oh my god marc, this is the best they can do. So he assembled a bunch of 50 pt players, and he's going to basically come out and say yeah well if they would just get 80 points we would win more. brilliant

The 590 guys (diplomatically) just trashed him all day today. not one journalist there could defend even one iota of his nonsense. It was nice to hear, because this guy has gotten a very very soft ride in the media IMO, but still , I couldn't help but just feel sick. He is not getting fired, and this is what he is going to do, and I just have no idea when it's going to end. 

All I can do is pray some of these kids turn out to be absolute studs, because there is not going to be any real success coming to this team through shrewd management

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

You are right they are maybe, However   I think we are ranked 5 by the hockey writers with our prospect pool. That's not bad.  Bergevin has just gotten that over the last 3 or 4 years. I think when he arrived he felt he had a team that could win and was not focused on the draft.   

Over the last 3 years  we have had the the 3rd most picks in the first two rounds

The 3 years prior to that we were second last in the entire league...

We have the most draft picks in 2020 and second most in the first 3 rounds...

So ya you can hate Bergervin and his staff but I do think they are getting it, I think it shows in our prospect pool,  however now  it takes time to develop kids as well.

I would like to see a move in the off season, preferably one of Tatar, Droiun, Dnault for a top pairing left deeman. 

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

Great post. That press conference, oh my god if I wasn't already at rock bottom with this team, that sure put me there. 

Let me add a couple of things

1. you mentioned how he used suzuki....a guy he didnt draft....as an example of how he is building through the draft. the tragically hilarious thing though, is how exactly DID we get him?  The ONE time he did the right thing and moved on from a vet while he still had trade value ( and boy did he ever not want to do it, waited til the absolute last second, and got extremely lucky that not only the prospect he DIDNT want panned out so well, but that the throw in he ALSO DIDNT WANT panned out so well)

so, yeah marc, look at suzuki! now go do that a good 3 or 4 more times with the many prime candidates on this team? nah. cant jeopardize our run for 8th place next year.

2. building through the draft...... first of all, what does that even mean. every team drafts every year.....ok anyway....we went and got some draft picks. traded our nobodies for nothing draft picks, but hey lots of draft picks, cause we are building through the draft.  except...he tried to extend every one of those guys!!!!! If he had his first choice, we dont get ANY picks!

3. amidst his incoherent babbling about the "core" he made a comment about how they need them to do more. oh my god marc, this is the best they can do. So he assembled a bunch of 50 pt players, and he's going to basically come out and say yeah well if they would just get 80 points we would win more. brilliant

The 590 guys (diplomatically) just trashed him all day today. not one journalist there could defend even one iota of his nonsense. It was nice to hear, because this guy has gotten a very very soft ride in the media IMO, but still , I couldn't help but just feel sick. He is not getting fired, and this is what he is going to do, and I just have no idea when it's going to end. 

All I can do is pray some of these kids turn out to be absolute studs, because there is not going to be any real success coming to this team through shrewd management

He's full of contradictions, and the media has caught on. You can read articles from yesterday from Eric Engels, Brian Wilde, Francois Gagnon, MA Godin, Arpon Basu, Stu Cowan and others all questioning the same thing... all wondering where MB is going with the team. Their questions yesterday put him on the spot about his plan and he had no answers.

Like you said, the Suzuki trade was one of his best ones, and it was one where he gave up a star whose value was likely to depreciate in coming years while on a big long-term contract instead of signing him to an extension or letting him walk as a free agent. It was one of the few moves he's made that worked well. It's the type of move he should have made if he wanted to get rid of Subban so badly. It's what he should have done with Markov and Plekanec. It's what he should be doing with a bunch of his aging vets now. No one is asking him to give up on the team or to be bad for five years. But you can go out and swap the likes of Tatar and Petry and Weber for players like Evan Bouchard or Noah Dobson or Jake Bean or Oliver Wahlstrom or Henrik Bjorgstrom or so on and still be good soon and be good for longer. Go back two years and some of us were talking about how MB should have gone after the Blues to swap them Pacioretty or Price or someone and try to get Robert Thomas and Vince Dunn or go after Necar or Fleury or Bean from Carolina. Both guys from Stl were unproven at the time, both guys stepped into NHL roles shortly after, and the Blues won a Cup. The same can be said about a lot of the near-ready NHL prospects we've discussed this year.

As for his core, MB has said he can't break them up in exchange for prospects that are unproven, but at the same time he's talked about how his core is inconsistent and isn't good enough on special teams and can't win at home and isn't providing the necessary leadership and that the responsibility falls with the players not with Julien or himself. But if your core has all these faults, why not be willing to change it up? And if you thought your core was good enough to build a contender around, why not build a contender around it? If you think this core is so close, then you should have been willing to go out and add a top-pairing LHD and add a bona fide sniper and add a back-up goalie and give yourself the tools to be a top 5 team in the league. If you don't think they're close enough to make those sacrifices, then that's fine. But as many media members have said, MB needs to pick a lane. Right now, he's driving in two lanes, trying to claim he's building via the draft but unwilling to commit to that philosophy nor commit to building around his veterans either.

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

You are right they are maybe, However   I think we are ranked 5 by the hockey writers with our prospect pool. That's not bad.  Bergevin has just gotten that over the last 3 or 4 years. I think when he arrived he felt he had a team that could win and was not focused on the draft.   

Over the last 3 years  we have had the the 3rd most picks in the first two rounds

The 3 years prior to that we were second last in the entire league...

We have the most draft picks in 2020 and second most in the first 3 rounds...

So ya you can hate Bergervin and his staff but I do think they are getting it, I think it shows in our prospect pool,  however now  it takes time to develop kids as well.

I would like to see a move in the off season, preferably one of Tatar, Droiun, Dnault for a top pairing left deeman. 

And I'd agree with you that MB has focused more on his drafts the past few years, but like I've posted, we haven't yet seen if he will see this through. We don't yet know if those prospects he's drafted will have any NHL impact. We don't yet know if he'll tire of some of them and trade them. So as of today, we can't say he's built a team through the draft, like he claims he has. We can say he's maybe trying to change to his philosophy, but it's taken him 6 years to go that route, so how much time do you give him to see this through? Two already, soon to be three. Another three after that? Does a guy get twelve years and how many coaches and losing seasons to show he has any value? Twelve years is a long time for a GM to be as futile as MB has been. Assuming we miss the playoffs this year, it will be only the 3rd time in over 100 years of club history that we'd have missed the post-season three times in a row and only the second time it'd be 4 of 5 seasons. The only other time was 1999 to 2003, when the Habs fired Vigneault and then hired and fired Therrien and then hired Julien the first time. We also fired Rejean Houle and Andre Savard as GM's in that span and moved on to a 3rd one in Bob Gainey after the 4th playoff miss in 5 years. It's unclear why Bergevin is getting such a long leash for such mediocrity.

The other point I've made is that quantity doesn't equal quality. It's great that Bergevin has 14 picks, but he still only has one first rounder in each of the next three years. The Habs haven't had more than one first rounder since 2007, when they won the day drafting Pacioretty and McDonagh and Subban that year. Sure, you can hit on a 5th rounder or a 6th rounder, but those picks matter so little. The odds of someone past the 2nd round becoming an NHLer are maybe 5-15% per pick. The odds of them becoming a top-line position player are extremely low. Most stars are picked in the first round and most of those are picked in the top 10. You want to turn your team around by "building through the draft" and you need 1st round picks and you need some of them to be lottery picks or mid-round picks. It's not enough to trade Thompson for a 5th and Kovalchuk for a late 3rd. You need to be willing to part with your depreciating assets to get higher quality picks.

Let's look at our organizational depth position-wise:

- At center, we have good depth right now. We still don't have a true elite 1C, though we have a couple of guys with potential in Suzuki and Kotkaniemi and a few more who could be centers on our team for several more years in Domi and Danault and Evans and Poehling, not to mention a lot of draft picks have been devoted to centers recently. There's depth there now and there's depth for the future, though finding a true 1C is still a mission.

- Left wing, I would agree with you, is our deepest position in terms of current talent, with Tatar and Drouin in the top 6 and then the options of using Lehkonen, Byron, and even Domi there. Still no true game-breaker there, but if you have good enough centers, this is a group that you can fill in the line-up and be comfortable with. For that reason, it's also probably a good group to find a trade chip from. However, we also haven't drafted any left wingers recently. If Domi isn't satisfied being a LW and/or Tatar gets traded or leaves as a UFA, then we are suddenly behind the 8 ball. We either have to shift some of our centers to LW or we have to find a LW somewhere else.

- On the right side, Gallagher is a fixture and then you have Armia and maybe you try to re-sign Kovalchuk. In the pipeline, you have Caufield and Ylonen. So some chances there but like with left wing, not a lot of buffer for mistakes in development. If Caufield and Ylonen don't pan out as well as you would like, you're going to be in tough soon enough.

- On left D, it's in shambles right now. Our weakest position. But it's also one of our strongest prospect pools. Romanov, Norlinder, Harris... all left D to go along with a young NHLer like Mete. Struble and Fairbrother are also left D. We have prospects and we have to wait and see, but the odds are that these guys are 2-3 years away from helping, maybe even longer.

- At right D, it's solid now with Weber and Petry, but that's probably all going downhill after 2020-21. Juulsen's health has caused a snag in the plan. Fleury looks serviceable but without much offensive ability, he's a 3rd pairing guy long-term. Brook is a question mark as well. So like left wing, it's strong now but with a not-so-rosy outlook long-term because it's been ignored in the draft in favor of LD and center. It's a perfect illustration of why you shouldn't draft for need like MB has been doing the past couple of years. Yeah, we were low on centers and left D when he made all his picks, but when those guys are all ready, we'll be short at wing and right D.

- In goal, Carey has you set for another 3-4 years if you choose to keep him, and Primeau looks solid. Not a huge need right now, but things can change quickly.

So with that in mind, I'd say center and left D could end up being our stronger positions in a few years, even if they're weaker now. What I would like to see is for us to swap out guys like Weber, Petry, Tatar, or so on now to fill some of the holes we're likely to develop. I wouldn't mind seeing what Domi can get us in a hockey trade. If I look at a few trades that could help us greatly, I'd like to see

1. Domi for Dumba... Minnesota wants a center to replace their aging guys, and Domi wants to be a top 6 center. He produced in that role. Dumba is a guy Minnesota is rumored to be willing to give up and he is a bit younger than our current right D men, so he extends your window and fits the profile of a guy who helps you right away but who can also be useful in 3-5 years, when your younger core is ready.

2. With Dumba here, it frees you up to trade Petry. Not sure if you could still get as much now that he's only got a year left on his deal, but maybe a new team could arrange an extension upon the trade if it's done in the summer. Carolina was supposedly very interested, so would be open to a deal like Petry for Jake Bean and Ryan Suzuki. With the Canes having Slavin, Skjei, and Gardiner all signed long-term down the left side, they don't have much room for Bean but do need help on the right side of their D.

3. In Tatar's case, I'd like to get younger, so I'd propose sending him to the Islanders for Oliver Wahlstrom and a 2nd or to Florida for Owen Tippet and a 1st or something along that lines. Again, I think we've lost value in what we could get back from him though.

4. For Weber, maybe you try to push Colorado for Byram or you push Edmonton for Bouchard or Broberg. Maybe Philly, who have liked him for a while, would consider a package of Sanheim and one of Farabee or Frost if they think they can win now. But I think you can again try to get a younger stud that you can keep for 8 years.

You don't need to do all of these, but they're examples of deals that could make you younger and maybe cost you next season but help you for all the years after that.

On 2020-02-25 at 1:26 AM, kinot-2 said:

I just looked at his stats and as of now, I am very unimpressed. Methinks we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

From all accounts he'll project as a solid 2nd pairing D , doesn't shy from the physical game and is NHL ready … this from reliable sources ...I could care less about his stats as he's still a pretty young guy to be playing against men in the KHL ….my concern is he gets an offer from the KHL that an NHL entry level contract couldn't match and he stays ...we should get Markov to talk to him and sign Kovalchuk back this summer as incentive ...he says he wants to play in the NHL but then again talk is cheap 

On 2/24/2020 at 11:26 PM, kinot-2 said:

I just looked at his stats and as of now, I am very unimpressed. Methinks we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

In the KHL, Romanov has been tasked as a stay at home defenceman by his coach and this isn't unusual for the KHL ... he's basically been told "don't take any chances".    When instead he's been tasked with a two-way or offensive role he's shown he has offensive skills, vision and instincts :

Tournaments
Year Tournament Team GP G A Pts PIM +/-
2019 World Junior U-20 Championships Russia U-20 7 1 7 8 0 12
2020 World Junior U-20 Championships Russia U-20 7 1 5 6 2 6

For example. in 2019 he lead all D that year at the WJ and tied for 2nd for most points for all players.     When given the chance he's clearly shown he has an all around game.  The question is will it translate to the NHL

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2019/1/8/18170495/translating-alexander-romanov-offensive-game-to-nhl-level-video-analysis-shot-scoring-tsar-bomba

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

In the KHL, Romanov has been tasked as a stay at home defenceman by his coach and this isn't unusual for the KHL ... he's basically been told "don't take any chances".    When instead he's been tasked with a two-way or offensive role he's shown he has offensive skills, vision and instincts :

Tournaments
Year Tournament Team GP G A Pts PIM +/-
2019 World Junior U-20 Championships Russia U-20 7 1 7 8 0 12
2020 World Junior U-20 Championships Russia U-20 7 1 5 6 2 6

For example. in 2019 he lead all D that year at the WJ and tied for 2nd for most points for all players.     When given the chance he's clearly shown he has an all around game.  The question is will it translate to the NHL

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2019/1/8/18170495/translating-alexander-romanov-offensive-game-to-nhl-level-video-analysis-shot-scoring-tsar-bomba

Yeah, stats, and only getting half the story, can be deceiving.  Josh Brook is a guy who i still think has a legit chance to be a #2-3 dman but if you look at his season in Laval you might think "oh oh."   He's only got 12 points in 54 games and has spent time playing 4th line wing.  So you think "man he's a bust!' but if you listen to Bouchard you know that there's a lot going on there.

They played him as a forward so that he could 'get into the mindset' of scoring (they also did this with Larry Robinson many many years ago fwiw"  Its not that he's being converted, he's actually being "coached" - which i know seems like a foreign thing to us after having Lefebrve down there for so long!

Right now i think Romanov, Brook, Norlinder, Harris etc are all on the proper development projectile.  Will they be elite?  Tough to say.  Should we expect them to be saviours next year? no.  But in a few years time i think we'll be ok.  Id still love to land an absolute stud d prospect but its unlikely unless we lose a lot more games this year or MB finally gets the guts to move a veteran for another Pacioretty type haul. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, stats, and only getting half the story, can be deceiving.  Josh Brook is a guy who i still think has a legit chance to be a #2-3 dman but if you look at his season in Laval you might think "oh oh."   He's only got 12 points in 54 games and has spent time playing 4th line wing.  So you think "man he's a bust!' but if you listen to Bouchard you know that there's a lot going on there.

They played him as a forward so that he could 'get into the mindset' of scoring (they also did this with Larry Robinson many many years ago fwiw"  Its not that he's being converted, he's actually being "coached" - which i know seems like a foreign thing to us after having Lefebrve down there for so long!

Right now i think Romanov, Brook, Norlinder, Harris etc are all on the proper development projectile.  Will they be elite?  Tough to say.  Should we expect them to be saviours next year? no.  But in a few years time i think we'll be ok.  Id still love to land an absolute stud d prospect but its unlikely unless we lose a lot more games this year or MB finally gets the guts to move a veteran for another Pacioretty type haul. 

I agree with this thinking especially on Brook - patience is need for d-men - look how McDonagh developed. Makar, Quinn Hughes, Morgan Rielly, Rasmus Dahlin are examples of immediate ascensions from junior but are the exceptions. In this years draft I hope we continue to get some goal scoring prowess as there is not many top d-men. I’m still high on Struble for the long term and wishing that his physical test success can transfer into his hockey skills with proper coaching 

1 minute ago, claremont said:

I agree with this thinking especially on Brook - patience is need for d-men - look how McDonagh developed. Makar, Quinn Hughes, Morgan Rielly, Rasmus Dahlin are examples of immediate ascensions from junior but are the exceptions. In this years draft I hope we continue to get some goal scoring prowess as there is not many top d-men. I’m still high on Struble for the long term and wishing that his physical test success can transfer into his hockey skills with proper coaching 

This, the 2021 draft is also projecting to be the year of the d men as there are currently like 8-10 d men in the top 21 rankings. I know we are still over a year away but looking ahead could allow us to focus on scoring this year and finding that elite D man next year

So with Mete's season over now, and Scandella traded and Ouellet out with a concussion, our blueline is just decimated!

Petry, Chiarot, Kulak, Folin & Alzner + Weber (playing hurt)

As well as Mete & Ouellet out with the big club, Leskinen is out in Laval with a concussion and McEneny left the game last night.  Apparently Laval may have to dress some tryouts!

Having said that, after months of mysterious absence, Juulsen suited up for practice with the rocket yesterday.  He was wearing a contact jersey but not yet cleared to play...  lets hope he's not rushing back yet again. 

Meanwhile, shockingly, Gustav Olofsson has been healthy all year!

Blown leads once again, power play goals allowed.