H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,757 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

So with Mete's season over now, and Scandella traded and Ouellet out with a concussion, our blueline is just decimated!

Petry, Chiarot, Kulak, Folin & Alzner + Weber (playing hurt)
 

As well as Mete & Ouellet out with the big club, Leskinen is out in Laval with a concussion and McEneny left the game last night.  Apparently Laval may have to dress some tryouts!

Having said that, after months of mysterious absence, Juulsen suited up for practice with the rocket yesterday.  He was wearing a contact jersey but not yet cleared to play...  lets hope he's not rushing back yet again. 
 

Meanwhile, shockingly, Gustav Olofsson has been healthy all year!

 

 

So is that just the hockey gods evening things out for all our players that had career years last year and hardly any injuries or is it a result of playing above their abilities and being pushed harder than their bodies can handle

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

So with Mete's season over now, and Scandella traded and Ouellet out with a concussion, our blueline is just decimated!

Petry, Chiarot, Kulak, Folin & Alzner + Weber (playing hurt)
 

As well as Mete & Ouellet out with the big club, Leskinen is out in Laval with a concussion and McEneny left the game last night.  Apparently Laval may have to dress some tryouts!

Having said that, after months of mysterious absence, Juulsen suited up for practice with the rocket yesterday.  He was wearing a contact jersey but not yet cleared to play...  lets hope he's not rushing back yet again. 

Meanwhile, shockingly, Gustav Olofsson has been healthy all year!

Knock on wood (re: Olofsson comment).

Yeah, the defensive depth is taking a major hit right now, but... It's not really a big deal. If we were competing for a playoff spot, I'd be worried, but having a thin blueline will only help us tank that much harder. I do hope that Julien and Bergevin agree that playing the heck out of Petry and Weber is NOT necessary. We're not going to make it, so there's no need to potentially cause an injury problem with our top two defenders to close out the season.

Edited by jennifer_rocket
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Knock on wood (re: Olofsson comment).

Yeah, the defensive depth is taking a major hit right now, but... It's not really a big deal. If we were competing for a playoff spot, I'd be worried, but having a thin blueline will only help us tank that much harder. I do hope that Julien and Bergevin agree that playing the heck out of Petry and Weber is NOT necessary. We're not going to make it, so there's no need to potentially cause an injury problem with our top two defenders to close out the season.

At this point who are they going to play? everyone is hurt! LOL!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Knock on wood (re: Olofsson comment).

Yeah, the defensive depth is taking a major hit right now, but... It's not really a big deal. If we were competing for a playoff spot, I'd be worried, but having a thin blueline will only help us tank that much harder. I do hope that Julien and Bergevin agree that playing the heck out of Petry and Weber is NOT necessary. We're not going to make it, so there's no need to potentially cause an injury problem with our top two defenders to close out the season.

 

10 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

At this point who are they going to play? everyone is hurt! LOL!

Alzner - Folin 30 mins a game.

#keepweberpetryhealthy 
#tanksalot

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Knock on wood (re: Olofsson comment).

Yeah, the defensive depth is taking a major hit right now, but... It's not really a big deal. If we were competing for a playoff spot, I'd be worried, but having a thin blueline will only help us tank that much harder. I do hope that Julien and Bergevin agree that playing the heck out of Petry and Weber is NOT necessary. We're not going to make it, so there's no need to potentially cause an injury problem with our top two defenders to close out the season.

Both have already stated that they are going to play hard to make the playoffs until they are officially eliminated. So expect Price to play at least 14 of the remaining games and both Petry and Weber to play 24+ minutes a night

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna give my breakdown of what we have and what I THINK that THEY think we have

 

1st line- Tatar-Danault- Galllagher

Tatar- I was a fan of his back in detroit. I knew he was going to be good. little digger with nice hands and some finish. is he worth the potentially 7 mil he might potentially want? I dunno. he seems to fit beautifully here. out of all of our 50 ish point undersized forwards, he's my favourite. I don't want to give him 7 mil but maybe he takes less. I think if he has reasonable contract demands he gets extended. He's done nothing but produce here.

Danault-  If only we gave eller, who i loved, this much of a chance. :( A great 2 way C.  A great 3c on a cup contending team. If KK/suzuki/domi fill his role he's a key member. If we are so in love with this guy we want to give him 6 mil+....I dunno. I am very wary of the managerial over-love this guy gets, in direct contrast to the managerial under-love eller got. You see eller as a key part of a legit cup team as 3c in that 3-4 mill range. anything other than that, bad idea

Gally-  Get ready to jump all over me. As far as I am concerned, this is our wendel clark. heart and soul of the team.....warrior....plays like a wrecking ball.......average production....playing style that screams diminishing returns on what are not at his best overwhelmingly good. The leafs traded wendel for mats sundin. I'd like to do the same. Under this management, he gets paid like a star for life. Big mistake IMO, I'd trade him asap. I want a sundin

2nd line- Drouin-Suzuki- Armia

Drouin-  I really held my tongue about this guy. I remember his WJC and he just looked like a wizard. I thought his ceiling was very high, and I wanted to truly give him a chance to see what he could do here. Being thrown into the 1c role was very unfair, and he's had injury trouble and also flashes and stretches of solid productivity, but you know what, the grace period is over, and for 2 reasons. 1. He just simply has not got it done in any kind of convincing way and 2. not his fault, but breaking down the bergy era, this was just a stupid trade. Bergy screwed up royally and lost us radulov and markov in one fell swoop, and to save face he traded markov's replacement to replace radulov. Not only did it not work out, it left us with 2 holes instead of 1. And now to save face, he can't trade this guy for essentially nothing, which is all he is going to get at this point. He is going to sit there and pray like crazy that this guy can get it together and put up 70 + points and although he absolutely has the skills to do it, I have seen enough to tell you that it ain't gonna happen.  If colorado wants to give us sam girard for him, I take it and run. Galchenyuk all over again

Suzuki- everyone loves him. he's the real deal. enjoy. Thank god bergy fluked this one off

Armia-  does things not a lot of guys on the team can do. big body, good on the boards, good enough hands and shot to create and finish. enough to be on the 2nd line? nope. some may be higher on him, I think he's a wicked 4th liner on a cup contending team.  The muckamucks see him as way higher, and are praying to be borne out. hold your breath, I don't see the consistent effectiveness

3rd line- Byron-Domi- Lehkonen

Byron- Seeing Byron out there with an A on his jersey epitomizes everything wrong with this team.  Let me be clear...he's been a perfect soldier and had his best years of his life here. Character guy. Once he hit 20 goals, trade bait. Twice? double trade bait. What are we doing.  This is Dale weise 2.0. He is a 4th liner on a real team, and the clock doesn't go backwards. Please trade him this summer. Bergy loves him. He will be back

Domi- 3c eh....nobody has cracked 70 points since kovalev and in the follow up year there he is. Not 1 freaking shift with our best wingers. brilliant.  That being said, I think he knew that and sulked. is he wrong? no, but..... I dunno. I said in another thread...he's in the black book. He very well might be traded in a classic bergy lateral move based on attitude. Should we trade him? Probably not, his skill level is high, but IMO his imagination over runs his ability. I.E , if he could actually pull off the plays he tries to pull off, he's be a legit A level player. He can't, but he is still a high level B. On this team, keeping this coach, which we will, he will gust and wane and get bums for linemates. If there's a good return I'll take it. He's yet another 50-ish point player that we have too many of, but he's my 2 after tatar. I'd take what I could get from drouin and gally before him and use him higher up, but that's me

Lehkonen- this guy is like the classic bergy/julien hab. responsible defensivley. scores sometimes. keep him forever. For me, nothing burger. trade bait before he is just in the minors forever

4th line- well we just traded all those guys. evans got developed properly, go with it. you know our GM is the king of the dollar store so no worries here. If we don't get cousins and weal or whatever back he finds the equivalent

D

1st pairing-Chiarot- Weber

Chiarot- decent I guess. better than benn. way over his head 1st pairing, screw ups galore. we need 2 guys , at least 1, better than him

Weber- IMO the most overrated big name to ever play here. To be fair, when healthy, has filled the role. decent production, Should be absolutely traded asap. Will be here for life

2nd pairing-Kulak- Petry

Kulak- I like him, but way over his head playing 2nd pairing. More a testament to how thin the d is

Petry- criminally underrated , but not by management. they actually appreciate this guy, and I'm glad we didn't sell him for less than a very good return. Now, was there a very good return, and bergy wanted something ridiculous? probable, in the sake of maintaining the charade. Even still , I'm ok extending him for something reasonable a la my thoughts on tatar

3rd pairing- Mete- Fleury? Folin? Whatever?

Mete- Trade bait. undersized, no offence....probably no future here. romanov is coming and scandella might be coming back.

We dont even really have a guy here. ugh

G- Price- most overpaid player in hockey, A legit starter, still high level talent, will never be worth 10 mil. trade asap, if even possible. under current mngmt, will never be traded.

and we have no backup

 

the habs!

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ If we're going to talk about who is underrated and overrated, this is how I would rate our players:

Overrated...

1. Weber... big old number 1 here. The traditionalists love him and he's got a great shot and he's still a good defenceman, but he gets overrated because of "intangibles." Intangibles by definition are things you can't measure and there's no data to suggest it does anything to help you win. If anything, our lack of success since he got here would support that his leadership and intangibles haven't overcome our faults. It's not to say he's a bad leader or that he isn't gritty or tough or anything, just that that doesn't translate into team success.

2. Chiarot... his D partner is also overrated. He's been a pleasant surprise and he's done more offensively than I thought he would, but he's also been disappointing defensively. His work on the PK has been plain bad. He's a decent 3rd pairing D man, and I'm happy to still have him on the team in that role, but I don't think he's a top pairing guy the way the Habs are using him.

3. Mete... running theme with the D men here, but even though Mete has made progress I don't get the feeling he's going to be anything more than he is now. Good skater but not the smartest puck distributor and not anything fantastic in his own end. I don't get the feeling he'll ever be important on either special teams, and it's frankly hard to be a useful NHL defenceman when you can't play either special teams well. He's maybe a 12-15 minute a night D man.

4. Price... he's earned his reputation and he went through a period where he was legitimately stealing games for us, but it doesn't feel like he steals more games for us than any other top 20 goalies in the league. He wins some games with great play and he loses games for bad play. Overall, he's a solid goalie, but I'm not sold on his being any more than a top 15-20 goalie in the league right now. I think he could easily win a Cup on a better team but not with our rag-tag bunch.

5. Drouin... had a great start to the season, but he's just never been consistent enough and he's getting to the point where you wonder if he'll ever put it together and rise to a level where he can be considered a first-line player. Right now, he's a 2nd liner. Just hasn't lived up to his reputation as a top 5 pick and don't have the feeling he'll ever be more than a 50-55 point per season player on average, with very little defensive ability to make that worth it.

Underrated:

1. Petry... Jeff, like you said, it appears management knows what they have, but Petry has legitimately been better than Weber if you look at their contributions since they've both been here. He's a fringe #1 defenceman, better suited to being a #2 on a good team though and can't seem to handle the big minutes for long stretches, but man does he do the things that don't get enough credit. Fluid skater, underrated shot, nice vision... reminds me so much of Hamrlik, but unfortunately getting into the age range where we're likely to see a drop-off in his game soon.

2. Kotkaniemi... I get that he's struggled this season compared to last year, but he's playing great in the AHL. I've been disappointed by how little a chance he's had this year, and he's had to play behind Danault and Domi and then Danault and Suzuki and so on. He's had 3rd-line wingers, sometimes 4th-line wingers for much of his time with the big club, and when your forte is being a great passer, you really need to have guys who can finish your chances. I thought he played really well with Drouin and Armia to start the year, and then the coach broke them up to try to get Domi going. Too bad. I think Kotkaniemi would be fine if he got to play with Tatar and Gallagher or Drouin and Armia again. We need to stop giving him guys like Poehling, Cousins, Weal, and Lehkonen as wingers.

3. Tatar and Gallagher... these guys get a lot of accolade so maybe it's hard to consider them underrated, but you look at a lot of the other forwards we've had on the team the past few years and these guys are just so consistent and put in such a regular effort, it's impressive. You compare them to guys like Domi and Drouin and Galchenyuk and Pacioretty and Desharnais and Kostitsyn and so on and those guys were talented players, but they would be ineffective for decent stretches. Tatar and Gallagher win the possession game regularly, they get chances to score, and they skate. And when we look at production, they're getting it done too. You don't realize how many goals Gallagher scores til you look at his stats but he's hit 30 two years in a row and he'd probably have done it this year too if he had stayed healthy. Like Petry, both guys are going to hit a point where they drop off, but they're guys you pencil in the line-up in the top 6 and know they're going to perform no matter who you put them with.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ If we're going to talk about who is underrated and overrated, this is how I would rate our players:

Overrated...

1. Weber... big old number 1 here. The traditionalists love him and he's got a great shot and he's still a good defenceman, but he gets overrated because of "intangibles." Intangibles by definition are things you can't measure and there's no data to suggest it does anything to help you win. If anything, our lack of success since he got here would support that his leadership and intangibles haven't overcome our faults. It's not to say he's a bad leader or that he isn't gritty or tough or anything, just that that doesn't translate into team success.

2. Chiarot... his D partner is also overrated. He's been a pleasant surprise and he's done more offensively than I thought he would, but he's also been disappointing defensively. His work on the PK has been plain bad. He's a decent 3rd pairing D man, and I'm happy to still have him on the team in that role, but I don't think he's a top pairing guy the way the Habs are using him.

3. Mete... running theme with the D men here, but even though Mete has made progress I don't get the feeling he's going to be anything more than he is now. Good skater but not the smartest puck distributor and not anything fantastic in his own end. I don't get the feeling he'll ever be important on either special teams, and it's frankly hard to be a useful NHL defenceman when you can't play either special teams well. He's maybe a 12-15 minute a night D man.

4. Price... he's earned his reputation and he went through a period where he was legitimately stealing games for us, but it doesn't feel like he steals more games for us than any other top 20 goalies in the league. He wins some games with great play and he loses games for bad play. Overall, he's a solid goalie, but I'm not sold on his being any more than a top 15-20 goalie in the league right now. I think he could easily win a Cup on a better team but not with our rag-tag bunch.

5. Drouin... had a great start to the season, but he's just never been consistent enough and he's getting to the point where you wonder if he'll ever put it together and rise to a level where he can be considered a first-line player. Right now, he's a 2nd liner. Just hasn't lived up to his reputation as a top 5 pick and don't have the feeling he'll ever be more than a 50-55 point per season player on average, with very little defensive ability to make that worth it.

Underrated:

1. Petry... Jeff, like you said, it appears management knows what they have, but Petry has legitimately been better than Weber if you look at their contributions since they've both been here. He's a fringe #1 defenceman, better suited to being a #2 on a good team though and can't seem to handle the big minutes for long stretches, but man does he do the things that don't get enough credit. Fluid skater, underrated shot, nice vision... reminds me so much of Hamrlik, but unfortunately getting into the age range where we're likely to see a drop-off in his game soon.

2. Kotkaniemi... I get that he's struggled this season compared to last year, but he's playing great in the AHL. I've been disappointed by how little a chance he's had this year, and he's had to play behind Danault and Domi and then Danault and Suzuki and so on. He's had 3rd-line wingers, sometimes 4th-line wingers for much of his time with the big club, and when your forte is being a great passer, you really need to have guys who can finish your chances. I thought he played really well with Drouin and Armia to start the year, and then the coach broke them up to try to get Domi going. Too bad. I think Kotkaniemi would be fine if he got to play with Tatar and Gallagher or Drouin and Armia again. We need to stop giving him guys like Poehling, Cousins, Weal, and Lehkonen as wingers.

3. Tatar and Gallagher... these guys get a lot of accolade so maybe it's hard to consider them underrated, but you look at a lot of the other forwards we've had on the team the past few years and these guys are just so consistent and put in such a regular effort, it's impressive. You compare them to guys like Domi and Drouin and Galchenyuk and Pacioretty and Desharnais and Kostitsyn and so on and those guys were talented players, but they would be ineffective for decent stretches. Tatar and Gallagher win the possession game regularly, they get chances to score, and they skate. And when we look at production, they're getting it done too. You don't realize how many goals Gallagher scores til you look at his stats but he's hit 30 two years in a row and he'd probably have done it this year too if he had stayed healthy. Like Petry, both guys are going to hit a point where they drop off, but they're guys you pencil in the line-up in the top 6 and know they're going to perform no matter who you put them with.

 well its hard not to agree with a lot of the points Big Ted 3 and Jeff33 make ...if Bergevin stays on board the Hab's ship through the draft he either makes a big splash or it's time to set him adrift ...we're are in fact into the land of no more excuses territory and if there is an opportunity to improve the club either at the draft ( let some picks and players go ) or in significant off-season trades . I think no one should be guaranteed a spot ( if you can trade 99 you can trade anyone ) ..at the same time it was a tough year with some key guys in an out of the line-up so momentum never was sustained with an asterisk noting that the team played like crap for long stretches regardless  . That being said the issues that need to be addressed are many . If you do keep players the ones I'd go with are Armia ( hasn't hit his stride yet ) Danault ( a very good defensive guy who gets you 50 points + face-offs and you have to have guys like him but the price can't be more than $4 mill per and no more than 4 years term  ) , Gallagher for his heart but not at an overblown  ridiculous contract ( like less than $7 mill if possible otherwise buh bye ) , Tatar who is the gift that never stops giving and who could well be worth $ 7 mill per but only for another 3 years extension past next year  negotiated at the end of the season , Suzuki who has become my favourite player to watch just for his hockey IQ alone and is the future of this club , Domi because even with the mistakes bleeds Habs  and the only thing he needs to do is to stop trying to be fancy and get off the ice in overtime , KK who will mature and has hands and is still relatively a baby with up-side  , Poehling who fills a solid 3rd or 4th line role , is cheap , is defensive -minded and has size , Fleury who will show a lot more maturity next year after being in Laval for a refresher course and is still inexpensive ( * and he keeps opposing forwards honest ), Petry if for no other reason than who do you replace him with ? and just as a throw in Kulak who has been steadily improving and is cost efficient ...the rest including Price can go but only if the return can be matched ...we've gotten too comfortable with mediocre seasons …..tough sledding but a necessary mindset .

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, maas_art said:

 

Meanwhile, shockingly, Gustav Olofsson has been healthy all year!

 

 

That is shocking!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things could be worse. We could have 4 players eating up $40 million in cap space and still be fighting to get into the playoffs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Things could be worse. We could have 4 players eating up $40 million in cap space and still be fighting to get into the playoffs.

AND HAVE LOST TO OUR OWN ZAMBONI DRIVER !!!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Things could be worse. We could have 4 players eating up $40 million in cap space and still be fighting to get into the playoffs.

It gets even worse when you look at the top 7 …$54 ,614,166 ( + Reilly & Muzzin & Kerfoot ) ….that leaves about 27 mill and change for the remaining 16 players ...the math is dictates  a slew of ELC type contracts  similar to their present roster  ….the D depth will continue to be their Achilles heel with virtually no cap room …. Barrie is probably gone this summer to a team that will probably pay him  $5.5 + unless Dubas will be stupid enough to offer that ….not that Montreal doesn't have issues but at least the contracts and cap have some wiggle room ...their lack of quality 2020 draft choices compounds their issues .  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Things could be worse. We could have 4 players eating up $40 million in cap space and still be fighting to get into the playoffs.

Instead we have two aging players eating up about $18 million in cap space and aren't even fighting for a playoff spot. #thefutureisbright

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Instead we have two aging players eating up about $18 million in cap space and aren't even fighting for a playoff spot. #thefutureisbright

Where have you been according to both MB and CJ we are right in the thick of the playoff hunt :4224:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Instead we have two aging players eating up about $18 million in cap space and aren't even fighting for a playoff spot. #thefutureisbright

  I think the point is that Toronto basically has 13 million entering into next season and has to sign or replace 7 players …Barrie is a UFA so they can't sign him even at his present salary of $5.5 mill of which they're paying only half this year ...Montreal has around 20 mill with only Domi as a must sign so I would say their cap has been handled better ..I predicted at the start of the year Toronto would be a bubble team because of their D ...maybe  I'll be wrong ….maybe not..... but for sure despite 2 aging players eating up $18 mill Montreal is better off going forward ..with the draft in Montreal and 14 picks I expect a shake-up will happen one way or another  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

  I think the point is that Toronto basically has 13 million entering into next season and has to sign or replace 7 players …Barrie is a UFA so they can't sign him even at his present salary of $5.5 mill of which they're paying only half this year ...Montreal has around 20 mill with only Domi as a must sign so I would say their cap has been handled better ..I predicted at the start of the year Toronto would be a bubble team because of their D ...maybe  I'll be wrong ….maybe not..... but for sure despite 2 aging players eating up $18 mill Montreal is better off going forward ..with the draft in Montreal and 14 picks I expect a shake-up will happen one way or another  

Certainly, you are right. Toronto's cap is... hmm... a difficult situation. Perhaps Toronto trades a forward for some defensive help. I don't think Marner, Matthews, or Nylander have NTCs or NMCs. Now, ever unlikely that they wouldn't trade Matthews or Marner, but I wonder, what about Nylander?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Certainly, you are right. Toronto's cap is... hmm... a difficult situation. Perhaps Toronto trades a forward for some defensive help. I don't think Marner, Matthews, or Nylander have NTCs or NMCs. Now, ever unlikely that they wouldn't trade Matthews or Marner, but I wonder, what about Nylander?

You can't have a NTC or NMC attached to a RFA contract the only exception is to have it kick in after the player turns 27. But your right their cap situation is a shit show. LOL

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Certainly, you are right. Toronto's cap is... hmm... a difficult situation. Perhaps Toronto trades a forward for some defensive help. I don't think Marner, Matthews, or Nylander have NTCs or NMCs. Now, ever unlikely that they wouldn't trade Matthews or Marner, but I wonder, what about Nylander?

We can argue Toronto is worse off on cap mgmt to make ourselves feel good by deflection and avoiding our issues , however they do have an expensive long term Core of relatively proven elite players in Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Reilly- I’ll reserve judgement on the soft don’t break any eggs stick checking Nylander so maybe they have a nucleus of 5 that they can build around

Our Core features only one elite player in Price and maybe if you stretch it Petry as a top d man for one more year. None of our supporting core Gallagher, Danualt, Domi,  Byron, Armia, the lately under performing Drouin, Tatar, and the aging beast Weber are close to elite true top line players. 
St. Louis broke the mold last year by having a low number of elite core players but prior to that every prior cup winner had an elite core of 4-5 players (Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago) 
IMO, we will need some step-ups to elite like Suzuki Caufield KK or some other tbds  and beyond before we can contend - hopefully we find some in our drafts 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, claremont said:

We can argue Toronto is worse off on cap mgmt to make ourselves feel good by deflection and avoiding our issues , however they do have an expensive long term Core of relatively proven elite players in Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Reilly- I’ll reserve judgement on the soft don’t break any eggs stick checking Nylander so maybe they have a nucleus of 5 that they can build around

Our Core features only one elite player in Price and maybe if you stretch it Petry as a top d man for one more year. None of our supporting core Gallagher, Danualt, Domi,  Byron, Armia, the lately under performing Drouin, Tatar, and the aging beast Weber are close to elite true top line players. 
St. Louis broke the mold last year by having a low number of elite core players but prior to that every prior cup winner had an elite core of 4-5 players (Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago) 
IMO, we will need some step-ups to elite like Suzuki Caufield KK or some other tbds  and beyond before we can contend - hopefully we find some in our drafts 

 

I disagree with Gallagher not being elite, IMO he is an elite talent at the RW position. Consistently in the top 15 in the league for RW's  twice a 30+ goal scorer and probably would have been that this year if not for injuries. Plays a much bigger game than his size should. He is very underrated for what he brings to the team. I would rather have a team like the Habs who play every game for each other than a team like the Leafs who are all spoiled rich brats who only play for the money and themselves. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I disagree with Gallagher not being elite, IMO he is an elite talent at the RW position. Consistently in the top 15 in the league for RW's  twice a 30+ goal scorer and probably would have been that this year if not for injuries. Plays a much bigger game than his size should. He is very underrated for what he brings to the team. I would rather have a team like the Habs who play every game for each other than a team like the Leafs who are all spoiled rich brats who only play for the money and themselves. 

Position wise I will give you credit for Gallagher As he is heart and soul a leader - I should probably have changed my thoughts to having an elite 5 that includes at least 2 centers 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Certainly, you are right. Toronto's cap is... hmm... a difficult situation. Perhaps Toronto trades a forward for some defensive help. I don't think Marner, Matthews, or Nylander have NTCs or NMCs. Now, ever unlikely that they wouldn't trade Matthews or Marner, but I wonder, what about Nylander?

Nylander should have been traded right after he signed after his holdout. Laffs probably could have got a decent D-man for him. Thankfully they didn't.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Tyson Barrie be of use to us?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019-20 State of the Habs...Disastrous! Blowing 2 and 3 goal leads constantly. Know we won't get Lafreniere, but hoping we can get Stutzle, Holtz, Raymond or Drysdale. Keep tanking!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we've said this most seasons for the past 5 years, but I don't know how Geoff Molson can look at the direction Bergevin has taken this franchise and be happy. I don't know how he can believe this GM deserves to stay on. The man has no plan, he's ruined one great core's chance at a Cup and he's busy wasting a 2nd core and won't admit we need to build for the future.

The team continues to play Weber and Gallagher and Drouin when they're hurt... The team continues to play Price an inordinate amount of meaningless games, exposing him to injury and fatigue for no reason. The data shows Price has better numbers when rested and here we are running a 32 year-old's body into the ground. Stop running your veterans into the ground, start giving more opportunity to guys who might be here longer-term to figure out what they can give you. Use this time to evaluate Hudon in an offensive role. Use this time to give Evans more minutes. Use this time to give Brook 2-3 games. Use this time to make Lindgren the primary goalie and figure out what he can do. Use this time to try different players on special teams, or a different set-up on the PP or so  on.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I know we've said this most seasons for the past 5 years, but I don't know how Geoff Molson can look at the direction Bergevin has taken this franchise and be happy. I don't know how he can believe this GM deserves to stay on. The man has no plan, he's ruined one great core's chance at a Cup and he's busy wasting a 2nd core and won't admit we need to build for the future.

The team continues to play Weber and Gallagher and Drouin when they're hurt... The team continues to play Price an inordinate amount of meaningless games, exposing him to injury and fatigue for no reason. The data shows Price has better numbers when rested and here we are running a 32 year-old's body into the ground. Stop running your veterans into the ground, start giving more opportunity to guys who might be here longer-term to figure out what they can give you. Use this time to evaluate Hudon in an offensive role. Use this time to give Evans more minutes. Use this time to give Brook 2-3 games. Use this time to make Lindgren the primary goalie and figure out what he can do. Use this time to try different players on special teams, or a different set-up on the PP or so  on.

 

But we can still make the playoffs :rolleyes:, but seriously I agree time to look ahead not backwards

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.