H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,757 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I feel like Julien is gone too.  Honestly, at this point id probably relieve him of duties right now. Why? because we technically stil have a chance to make the playoffs so he's going to continue to overplay price, overplay weber, overplay petry for that (basically impossible) task.   Relieve him of duties & make Muller or Ducharme interim. Tell them to go through the motions.

If you asked me a month ago i would have said MB was safe.  But every day, every blown lead, every time a media report comes out ridiculing the habs, i think Molson gets that much closer to axing MB. 

Poor Julien. Damned if he tries to make the playoffs(which is what he and the players are being paid to do) and damned if he doesn't try to make the playoffs. 

32 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Read that ... the interesting part was Bergevin yet again smack talking his 3rd overall pick.

Right seriously how is a player supposed to have any confidence playing for that type of GM

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Read that ... the interesting part was Bergevin yet again smack talking his 3rd overall pick.

He just can't help it, it's always someone else's fault.

Seriously though, why would any GM go out of his way to criticize his own players in the media? It just doesn't make sense, or is he expecting Kotkaniemi to buy a copy of a local French newspaper and use his remarks about resistance/work ethic as both language training and motivation? It's high time MB is shown the door before he messes this up even further.

I also really liked his comments about Galchenyuk in the La Presse interview. He actually really wanted Rielly but let his scouting team pick Galchenyuk because he didn't want to start off on the wrong foot in his new job. True leadership qualities right there, even more so now that he talked about it publicly and made sure his team looks like a bunch of idiots who messed up the 3OA pick :lol: It's great that he knew better all along though, I'm sure once he's fired we'll learn he really wanted to pick Hughes or some other guy over Kotkaniemi but his scouts made him do it.

Edited by ChiLla

Articles about Kotkaniemi being a draft bust... Pfft. :rolleyes: Gimme a break, already. He's not even 20, is he? The Montreal media just rehashes the same garbage stories every year with a new player's name slotted in.

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

He just can't help it, it's always someone else's fault.

Seriously though, why would any GM go out of his way to criticize his own players in the media? It just doesn't make sense, or is he expecting Kotkaniemi to buy a copy of a local French newspaper and use his remarks about resistance/work ethic as both language training and motivation? It's high time MB is shown the door before he messes this up even further.

I also really liked his comments about Galchenyuk in the La Presse interview. He actually really wanted Rielly but let his scouting team pick Galchenyuk because he didn't want to start off on the wrong foot in his new job. True leadership qualities right there, even more so now that he talked about it publicly and made sure his team looks like a bunch of idiots who messed up the 3OA pick :lol: It's great that he knew better all along though, I'm sure once he's fired we'll learn he really wanted to pick Hughes or some other guy over Kotkaniemi but his scouts made him do it.

SpiffyShrillDunlin-size_restricted.gif

Enough said.

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Articles about Kotkaniemi being a draft bust... Pfft. :rolleyes: Gimme a break, already. He's not even 20, is he? The Montreal media just rehashes the same garbage stories every year with a new player's name slotted in.

Yup. 1 year younger than Suzuki.    Thankfully, im pretty sure Bouchard is helping him in every aspect so lets hope he wont take this crap to heart. 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

SpiffyShrillDunlin-size_restricted.gif

Is that Bergevin scoring on his own net?  

44 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

No. Bergevin explained at the time aliens did it. 

3 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

No. Bergevin explained at the time aliens did it. 

"I scored that goal, that at the time, I had to make that play. I have a reason that I can't really tell you why, but if I could, you would probably understand.”

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

"I scored that goal, that at the time, I had to make that play. I have a reason that I can't really tell you why, but if I could, you would probably understand.”

"Listen, trades are hard... and I wanted to make it easier on my GM to trade me."

15 hours ago, Regis22 said:

That article made me sick. Talk about jumping the gun on KK when he is still just 19 years old. Last I checked he had 11 pts in 11 games which is very good. Bergevin throwing his scouting dept under the bus is hilarious. Wonder what Timmons thought of that.

3 hours ago, Delirium79 said:

That article made me sick. Talk about jumping the gun on KK when he is still just 19 years old. Last I checked he had 11 pts in 11 games which is very good. Bergevin throwing his scouting dept under the bus is hilarious. Wonder what Timmons thought of that.

People also forgetting that JK at 18 had a better season that Jack "the next one" Hughes and 2nd overall Kakko. Yes, he regressed in year 2 but it happens. He's still super young, battling injuries, trying to fill out his frame and not exactly getting prime line mates and ice time. Laval was the right move and frankly should have come sooner seeing what great work Bouchard is doing down there.   

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him earn (and never again relinquish) a top 2 centre role at next year's camp. FWIW next year he'll be the same age Suzuki is this year.  Lots of years left in his development before we see what he's truly capable of.  At the draft everyone knew he was a project.  You wanted a guy who could step onto your roster? You picked Tkachuk. JK may well still be the better player but its way too early to judge at this point. 

20 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Right seriously how is a player supposed to have any confidence playing for that type of GM

They compound the problem not knowing how to develop or use the talent properly.  

Scoring for a change.  

26 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Scoring for a change.  

getting healthier 

A little late to the parade again but I just caught Arpon Basu's interview on TSN 690 from a few days ago and found a few of his points really interesting: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/basu-what-will-bergevin-do-this-summer-1.1452103

1. On Weber/Price: He's not advocating trading them but they shouldn’t be off limits either, in fact nobody should. Not even listening to offers is silly talk, what kind of managing is that?

2. On the perceived weakness at 5 on 6: This is a big one and the numbers are staggering, to the point that they're borderline hilarious really (haven't checked the stats myself, only quoting Basu). At 5 on 6, Montreal apparently is by far the worst team in the league in giving up goals per 60 minutes… like way ahead of everybody else. 2nd worst is Detroit with ~13 goals against/60, while Montreal allows a whopping ~17 goals per 60 at 5 on 6 (everybody else is clumped together at like ~11-12 goals against). The Habs are so bad, they’re actually a MINUS team when the opponent has no goalie on the ice, they scored 6 and allowed 8. I get that it's a highly specific game situation but still... wow.

3. On Julien: Probably one of the main reasons for the general dissappointment this year, because of the expectations he created last year when his changes (system-wise) suprised everybody and probably had us finishing higher than we should have, i.e. exceeding expectations. He has flaws, sure, but you can’t look at the roster and honestly say this is a surefire playoff team that needs to be higher up in the standings. Also, it's not easy finding a better guy given the specific job requirements in Montreal.

4. On MB: Basu believes MB has something cooking ("hockey trades are made in June") and thinks he needs to make something happen. It's about timing the next step and flipping the switch from drafting/developing kids, integrating them into the team, and now adding missing pieces via trades. Something needs to change, the Habs have a surplus of similar players and an army of prospects and draft picks that other teams value. If he uses all of his draft picks this year, it’ll be impossible to sign all 35 players he’ll have added in the last 3 drafts (2 calendar years). Prospects need to be converted into NHL players in some way, either by successful player development or by including them in a trade package with picks/roster players to improve the team. There are lots of intriguing prospects at various positions other teams covet, and he's not specifically talking about our top prospects.

General point on reacting instead of being proactive: The Habs had a need at C, so they drafted a ton of centers in 2018. They still have a need at LD, so they drafted a ton of left-handed defencemen last year. They allow a ton of goals when the other team pulls the goalie, so they spend 30 minutes at practice on that. That's all fine and dandy but it's also the obvious thing to do. Good teams don't let it come to these situations in the first place, e.g. by having a strategy in place and being proactive when they need to be.

7 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

A little late to the parade again but I just caught Arpon Basu's interview on TSN 690 from a few days ago and found a few of his points really interesting: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/basu-what-will-bergevin-do-this-summer-1.1452103

1. On Weber/Price: He's not advocating trading them but they shouldn’t be off limits either, in fact nobody should. Not even listening to offers is silly talk, what kind of managing is that?

2. On the perceived weakness at 5 on 6: This is a big one and the numbers are staggering, to the point that they're borderline hilarious really (haven't checked the stats myself, only quoting Basu). At 5 on 6, Montreal apparently is by far the worst team in the league in giving up goals per 60 minutes… like way ahead of everybody else. 2nd worst is Detroit with ~13 goals against/60, while Montreal allows a whopping ~17 goals per 60 at 5 on 6 (everybody else is clumped together at like ~11-12 goals against). The Habs are so bad, they’re actually a MINUS team when the opponent has no goalie on the ice, they scored 6 and allowed 8. I get that it's a highly specific game situation but still... wow.

3. On Julien: Probably one of the main reasons for the general dissappointment this year, because of the expectations he created last year when his changes (system-wise) suprised everybody and probably had us finishing higher than we should have, i.e. exceeding expectations. He has flaws, sure, but you can’t look at the roster and honestly say this is a surefire playoff team that needs to be higher up in the standings. Also, it's not easy finding a better guy given the specific job requirements in Montreal.

4. On MB: Basu believes MB has something cooking ("hockey trades are made in June") and thinks he needs to make something happen. It's about timing the next step and flipping the switch from drafting/developing kids, integrating them into the team, and now adding missing pieces via trades. Something needs to change, the Habs have a surplus of similar players and an army of prospects and draft picks that other teams value. If he uses all of his draft picks this year, it’ll be impossible to sign all 35 players he’ll have added in the last 3 drafts (2 calendar years). Prospects need to be converted into NHL players in some way, either by successful player development or by including them in a trade package with picks/roster players to improve the team. There are lots of intriguing prospects at various positions other teams covet, and he's not specifically talking about our top prospects.

General point on reacting instead of being proactive: The Habs had a need at C, so they drafted a ton of centers in 2018. They still have a need at LD, so they drafted a ton of left-handed defencemen last year. They allow a ton of goals when the other team pulls the goalie, so they spend 30 minutes at practice on that. That's all fine and dandy but it's also the obvious thing to do. Good teams don't let it come to these situations in the first place, e.g. by having a strategy in place and being proactive when they need to be.

These are all interesting points and I agree to a certain degree with most of them the one thing I wanted to ask is this, do we honestly believe that MB is cooking up anything? We all know what he has done over most of his time here which is mostly lateral moves or moves that have made the team worse ie. Radulov, Markov, Alzner, Schlemko and Benn types of moves. His negotiation tactics are ridiculous so don't expect a FA signing, he won't move top players for picks so don't expect building for the future, Trades are hard so on;y expect fringe player movements, Drafting is a lottery so expect him to use all of his picks, and he won't give up top prospects to help win now cause they could turn out better than the player coming back. So what is left for a BIG move? Probably an 8 year 8 Mil extension for Petry with a full no move clause. 

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

These are all interesting points and I agree to a certain degree with most of them the one thing I wanted to ask is this, do we honestly believe that MB is cooking up anything? We all know what he has done over most of his time here which is mostly lateral moves or moves that have made the team worse ie. Radulov, Markov, Alzner, Schlemko and Benn types of moves. His negotiation tactics are ridiculous so don't expect a FA signing, he won't move top players for picks so don't expect building for the future, Trades are hard so on;y expect fringe player movements, Drafting is a lottery so expect him to use all of his picks, and he won't give up top prospects to help win now cause they could turn out better than the player coming back. So what is left for a BIG move? Probably an 8 year 8 Mil extension for Petry with a full no move clause. 

Cooking up a new T-shirt slogan

9 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Cooking up a new T-shirt slogan

#IF

IF we make the playoffs anything can happen!

Failure on the power play in the third period and two goals Lindgren should have had.  

We are well above average when it comes to goal scoring but when it comes to goals against we are abysmal. The failure to hold leads is a huge problem. When will enough be enough. 

9 minutes ago, habby67 said:

We are well above average when it comes to goal scoring but when it comes to goals against we are abysmal. The failure to hold leads is a huge problem. When will enough be enough. 

Montreal is 20th in the league in goal scoring and 17th in GA 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

Montreal is 20th in the league in goal scoring and 17th in GA 

Yep and last place for management!