H_T_L

2019-20 State Of The Habs

2,657 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2020 at 4:10 PM, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, reporting seems to indicate that because the playoffs are canceled, the "league year" has ended today, meaning all players on expiring contracts are free agents.

WIll be interesting to see if (when) the NHL season is cancelled if that will be the same.  I could see them waiting until July to officially cancel so that there's no interim confusion. 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

WIll be interesting to see if (when) the NHL season is cancelled if that will be the same.  I could see them waiting until July to officially cancel so that there's no interim confusion. 

My guess is that the "league year" won't change for the NHL if the season is done before July 1st. In other words, even if they cancel everything tomorrow, I doubt they suddenly declare everyone free agents like the KHL. If anything, the dates for the draft and free agency will be pushed back. Best-case scenario is that they hold the draft on schedule but without a live event, and I somehow doubt that'll be the case.

Most likely scenario is that they try to play an abbreviated playoff in the summer and then bump the draft and free agency and so on to something like August. If the lockdown goes on longer, then maybe they do playoffs in August/September and start next year late. Right now, with the way things are in the US though, it's hard to envision they'll be able to play any kind of playoffs for at least another 3 months and probably longer. At some point, I could see them just canceling the season.

NHL.com.  Anaheim has signed forward Trevor Zegras to a three year entry level contract.  

NHL.com.  St. Louis has agreed to terms with defenseman Scott Recononvich on a two year entry level contract.  

St. Louis announcer John Kelly has tested positive for the corona virus.  

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

My guess is that the "league year" won't change for the NHL if the season is done before July 1st. In other words, even if they cancel everything tomorrow, I doubt they suddenly declare everyone free agents like the KHL. If anything, the dates for the draft and free agency will be pushed back. Best-case scenario is that they hold the draft on schedule but without a live event, and I somehow doubt that'll be the case.

Most likely scenario is that they try to play an abbreviated playoff in the summer and then bump the draft and free agency and so on to something like August. If the lockdown goes on longer, then maybe they do playoffs in August/September and start next year late. Right now, with the way things are in the US though, it's hard to envision they'll be able to play any kind of playoffs for at least another 3 months and probably longer. At some point, I could see them just canceling the season.

Personally I think the year is done . Bettman and the league want to get some cash flow going and that's the only reason we're even talking about it . Covid-19 will be around for months and at this point they don't even know if an infected person , who tested positive and  showed mild signs ( then none ) , is still contagious after a couple of weeks . They tested at least one person that showed this capability ...they're just not talking about it because they don't really know enough yet . Factor in the different areas at different times that get  an influx of positive tests like NY and Cal and throw in shortages for hospital staff and not enough tests  and it's a toxic nightmare and NHL teams spread out everywhere . Thinking we might still have a chance to have play-offs and then a regular season in any form are about the same odds as people in the States going back to work and cramming churches in time for Easter Sunday services . 

On 3/28/2020 at 1:59 PM, CANADIENS27 said:

St. Louis announcer John Kelly has tested positive for the corona virus.  

Prayers to him, a hockey announcing legend.

2 hours ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

Prayers to him, a hockey announcing legend.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Dan Kelly who died in 1989? 

Posted (edited)

The off-season/free agency stuff is beginning. I read an article yesterday. I can't recall where. Anyway, the focus was on how Montreal is in the perfect position to sign Taylor Hall in free agency. Lol. Here we go! :lol:

Edited by jennifer_rocket

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The off-season/free agency stuff is beginning. I read an article yesterday. I can't recall where. Anyway, the focus was on how Montreal is in the perfect position to sign Taylor Hall in free agency. Lol. Here we go! :lol:

...yep saw that ... he's going to get north of 9 and term even after 2 average years ( injuries aside ) ..taxes means Montreal has to put out 10 plus and term ...ain't happening 

On 2020-03-30 at 2:15 PM, arpem-can said:

...yep saw that ... he's going to get north of 9 and term even after 2 average years ( injuries aside ) ..taxes means Montreal has to put out 10 plus and term ...ain't happening 

Listening to talk about the cap coming down and how signing for more than 2 years may not be a good idea. Interesting times for teams with big payrolls and UFA's if we don not play the rest of the season.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, jennifer_rocket said:

Do we really want Hall?  I personally think while talented he is a locker room cancer.  Look at how every team he has played on has regressed with him in the line up.  I would rather see the team spend the cap space on a top end D man to help the D

On 6/15/2019 at 4:00 PM, ramcharger440 said:

Right now we are in good shape. we had a solid comeback year where we saw some players develop and some good trades. we are finally solid at center not super star solid but quite good. Price played much better and we had some players step up on D. we have some weak spots on special teams but this off season should help that out. our main weak points remain first pairing LHD and a very solid backup goalie not some guy in development but a real deal guy we can count on!. we have i think 10 draft picks and plenty of quality forwards we could package to fix things so lets see what our glorious leadership group come up with in the next week or two........if they mange to get this right we could be a dead solid team this year.

LOL

All due respect, Molson and Bergevin having been trying to sell the same hill of beans for years.

This league is too good for Bergevin. Period. 

On 3/30/2020 at 0:48 PM, habs1952 said:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Dan Kelly who died in 1989? 

It was Dan. Sorry everyone. Are he and John related? Is this a father-son thing?

19 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Do we really want Hall?  I personally think while talented he is a locker room cancer.  Look at how every team he has played on has regressed with him in the line up.  I would rather see the team spend the cap space on a top end D man to help the D

Hall dragged Jersey into the play offs practically by himself. Won the Hart Trophy for league MVP for doing so.

But I agree that Montreal would be another team he misses the play offs with. Super star or not.......nobody is going to the play offs with that D.

20 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

I think any team would want Hall - and if you have strong leaders (Weber, Price, Gallagher) I dont think thats as much of an issue - but honestly, MVP season aside, i think he's a very high end complimentary player. I think we need a couple of impact players. Plus id be more interested in younger players, not guys turning 29 at the beginning of next season. He still has seveal good years left im sure but will still be on the down trend when most of our best players are peaking. 

1 hour ago, Deane62 said:

LOL

All due respect, Molson and Bergevin having been trying to sell the same hill of beans for years.

In fairness, you quoted a post thats nearly a year old.  Im not saying your point isnt valid - in fact, since this is an older post your point is probably even underlined -  but just noting that when Ramcharger posted that we were coming off a pretty solid bounce back year... a year later we've regressed again. 

20 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think any team would want Hall - and if you have strong leaders (Weber, Price, Gallagher) I dont think thats as much of an issue - but honestly, MVP season aside, i think he's a very high end complimentary player. I think we need a couple of impact players. Plus id be more interested in younger players, not guys turning 29 at the beginning of next season. He still has seveal good years left im sure but will still be on the down trend when most of our best players are peaking. 

In fairness, you quoted a post thats nearly a year old.  Im not saying your point isnt valid - in fact, since this is an older post your point is probably even underlined -  but just noting that when Ramcharger posted that we were coming off a pretty solid bounce back year... a year later we've regressed again. 

Apologies!    Completely missed the date on that post. My bad.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:28 AM, Deane62 said:

LOL

all due respect did you see the date of that post? things could have been done to make the changes i mentioned.

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

all due respect did you see the date of that post? things could have been done to make the changes i mentioned.

Yeah he apologized above.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:04 PM, BigTed3 said:

The season is done. There will be no play offs.

22 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Yeah he apologized above.

10-4

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-agm-trevor-timmins-no-pressing-need-in-2020-nhl-draft-1.1464744

Translation: We're so bad and have holes all over the place, so we'll take whatever we can get to fix them :lol:

We're seeing just how inept the management team is. We all know we need help at left D and so the draft should target that hole, whether by draft pick or a trade on draft day.