Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, habby67 said:

Darnit, It would have been so fun to watch him play in the Soo.

I watched the second and third periods last night he had at least 2 other chances in the second then was in his street cloths for the third cause they had 16 forwards dressed and it was his turn to sit. He has a real skill of finding quiet space and waiting to unload. He works hard every shift like Gally and Domi. He has a quickness that goes beyond skating speed it's like he sees what is happening and knows right where a rebound is going or a passing lane is about to open then heads there before the puck gets there. It willbe fun when he gets to the Habs 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Caufield scored a hat trick tonight think it's time for MB to face the music and sign him to an ELC and give him his shot at making the team

:freu1:

Please keep on top of it, campabee82. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I forgot to mention he also had 2 assists tonight so total of 4 G 2 A 6 P in 2 games. I think his critics are all but silenced since they said the only reason he was scoring so much was cause he had Hughes on his line LMAO 

Well the Wisconsin line-up is still stacked and Caufield was supposed to be playing with Alex Turcotte, another choice from the top of the 2019 draft. That said, Caufield clearly has his own talent set and is doing well of his own accord.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Well the Wisconsin line-up is still stacked and Caufield was supposed to be playing with Alex Turcotte, another choice from the top of the 2019 draft. That said, Caufield clearly has his own talent set and is doing well of his own accord.

My issue is similar to others I have seen on other sites. Which is, he clearly has a knack for scoring and his coach at UW is saying the only thing about hos game that isn't NHL ready is his physique.  I don't feel like UW is the correct spot to determine how he matches up to NHL caliber players. Sign him to an ELC and invite him to camp then send him to the Rocket if you want to correctly evaluate him. Plus playing for the Rocket not only helps build chemistry with other hopeful Habs but also allows him to learn the Habs systems from Bouchard. I don't feel like UW helps his development more than the Rocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Caufield scored a hat trick tonight think it's time for MB to face the music and sign him to an ELC and give him his shot at making the team

in a different year I could see it happening but with Poehling almost certainly making the team and Suzuki probably having a decent chance I dont think its going to happen.  I just cant see MB wanting 3 rookies in our top 12 (all of whom should really be playing top 6 or at least top 9 minutes) - and I dont see Julien giving all 3 the ice time they need to succeed at this stage of their careers. 

I know we determined Laval is an option but honestly I think Wisconsin, with their terrific program, is probably just as good at this point.  Id be utterly shocked if he's not a badger this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

in a different year I could see it happening but with Poehling almost certainly making the team and Suzuki probably having a decent chance I dont think its going to happen.  I just cant see MB wanting 3 rookies in our top 12 (all of whom should really be playing top 6 or at least top 9 minutes) - and I dont see Julien giving all 3 the ice time they need to succeed at this stage of their careers. 

I know we determined Laval is an option but honestly I think Wisconsin, with their terrific program, is probably just as good at this point.  Id be utterly shocked if he's not a badger this year. 

I just think he is probably making the Habs next year so get him in Laval this year to learn the systems and build his confidence against NHL quality players would be better than learning different systems against 18-20 year olds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

in a different year I could see it happening but with Poehling almost certainly making the team and Suzuki probably having a decent chance I dont think its going to happen.  I just cant see MB wanting 3 rookies in our top 12 (all of whom should really be playing top 6 or at least top 9 minutes) - and I dont see Julien giving all 3 the ice time they need to succeed at this stage of their careers. 

I know we determined Laval is an option but honestly I think Wisconsin, with their terrific program, is probably just as good at this point.  Id be utterly shocked if he's not a badger this year. 

completely agree on this ..it might ruin the kid bringing him up too early ( one more year will do wonders ) ..Suzuki I think has enough moxy and skill to make the club this year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, campabee82 said:

My issue is similar to others I have seen on other sites. Which is, he clearly has a knack for scoring and his coach at UW is saying the only thing about hos game that isn't NHL ready is his physique.  I don't feel like UW is the correct spot to determine how he matches up to NHL caliber players. Sign him to an ELC and invite him to camp then send him to the Rocket if you want to correctly evaluate him. Plus playing for the Rocket not only helps build chemistry with other hopeful Habs but also allows him to learn the Habs systems from Bouchard. I don't feel like UW helps his development more than the Rocket.

For a player who needs to develop physically the NCAA is actually a great option. They get a lot of time in the weight room and good nutrition because they aren't totally living on their own. It's also a great league for coaching because they have the time to work on different things. Such as protecting the puck against bigger players. NCAA are all 18-19 to 23-24 and protecting themselves "Positioning" taking hits ect.. I think a year in the NCAA is going to be great for him and at Wisconsin they have a great program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

For a player who needs to develop physically the NCAA is actually a great option. They get a lot of time in the weight room and good nutrition because they aren't totally living on their own. It's also a great league for coaching because they have the time to work on different things. Such as protecting the puck against bigger players. NCAA are all 18-19 to 23-24 and protecting themselves "Positioning" taking hits ect.. I think a year in the NCAA is going to be great for him and at Wisconsin they have a great program.

This.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, maas_art said:

FWIW they have Suzuki playing RW today at the rookie camp. 

I saw that I wonder if they are planning on giving both Poehling and him a real shot to make the team and they know we don't have room up the middle for everyone.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Domi-Suzuki

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Hudon

Byron-Poeling-Armia 

Weal, Cousins

Is about as good as you can hope for with this group. Also everyone is pretty well interchangeable.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I saw that I wonder if they are planning on giving both Poehling and him a real shot to make the team and they know we don't have room up the middle for everyone.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Domi-Suzuki

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Hudon

Byron-Poeling-Armia 

Weal, Cousins

Is about as good as you can hope for with this group. Also everyone is pretty well interchangeable.

 

 

I like this line up. I would love to see Domi, Drouin, Suzuki. In the future love to see Caulfield on Domi's wing. I also think Hudon with Lek, Kot could work nicely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I saw that I wonder if they are planning on giving both Poehling and him a real shot to make the team and they know we don't have room up the middle for everyone.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Domi-Suzuki

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Hudon

Byron-Poeling-Armia 

Weal, Cousins

Is about as good as you can hope for with this group. Also everyone is pretty well interchangeable.

I think MB has a few "plan Bs" when it comes to certain positions.  I  think he sees  Danault-Domi-JK-Poehling as his centres, but he has Cousins or Thompson who can step into the #4Slot if necessary.  In best case scenario, one of JK or Poehling move up the depth chart but i think those are MB's "plans" for centre.

At LW we have a comedy of riches with Drouin, Tatar, Lehks, Byron, Hudon and several others (including Domi and Cousins) who could play that position also.

At RW we have Gallagher - then a big drop off until you get to Armia.  Some players (Byron, Lehks, Hudon etc) can play either wing but I feel like MB's 'plan a' may be trying Suzuki at #2RW  but having Weal as the "safe" option - and possible McCarron (who apparently is skating better this year) as a (very) outside shot.  If last year was not an aberration, its entirely possible Weal can be a 45-50pt #2RW but time will tell.  Suzuki excelling there would (obviously) be much more exciting. 

 

I know people will say "Suzuki should play centre" - and maybe he will - but with JK (19) Domi (24) and Poehling (20) do we really need Nick at centre if he can play at an elite level at RW?   Gallagher is still probably better suited to #2RW going forward... 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I think MB has a few "plan Bs" when it comes to certain positions.  I  think he sees  Danault-Domi-JK-Poehling as his centres, but he has Cousins or Thompson who can step into the #4Slot if necessary.  In best case scenario, one of JK or Poehling move up the depth chart but i think those are MB's "plans" for centre.

At LW we have a comedy of riches with Drouin, Tatar, Lehks, Byron, Hudon and several others (including Domi and Cousins) who could play that position also.

At RW we have Gallagher - then a big drop off until you get to Armia.  Some players (Byron, Lehks, Hudon etc) can play either wing but I feel like MB's 'plan a' may be trying Suzuki at #2RW  but having Weal as the "safe" option - and possible McCarron (who apparently is skating better this year) as a (very) outside shot.  If last year was not an aberration, its entirely possible Weal can be a 45-50pt #2RW but time will tell.  Suzuki excelling there would (obviously) be much more exciting. 

 

I know people will say "Suzuki should play centre" - and maybe he will - but with JK (19) Domi (24) and Poehling (20) do we really need Nick at centre if he can play at an elite level at RW?   Gallagher is still probably better suited to #2RW going forward... 

 

 

I agree with this and I actually liked what I've seen from Weal. I also don't mind that line up of centers. Even if someone is slotted as #3 or #4 it doesn't mean that they won't get PP or PK time. It also doesn't mean depending on the team we're playing a fast team or a physical team that any one line on a given night could play more than what would be considered the #1 or #2 line. Danault's line is the only line I can see not fluctuating to much because of the skill set and balance. McCarron I hope does play better because I could see different times he could be an asset being inserted into the lineup. Sometimes size can matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

McCarron is definitely an interesting piece . I was hoping the Habs would sign him because he has a lot to prove and maybe his last kick at the can at this level . To hear he has improved his skating this year is probably why they signed him. Extra physical security if things get  out of hand never hurts even though its a dying aspect of the game . Another big reason Chiarot was signed . 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

McCarron is definitely an interesting piece . I was hoping the Habs would sign him because he has a lot to prove and maybe his last kick at the can at this level . To hear he has improved his skating this year is probably why they signed him. Extra physical security if things get  out of hand never hurts even though its a dying aspect of the game . Another big reason Chiarot was signed . 

 

I like the McCarron signing as well but not just because of the physical aspect if his skating really is improved he would add scoring possibility and size to the bottom line as well. I think the Blues proved you last point wrong though that physical security is not a dying aspect. In the regular season yes it has virtually disappeared but once the playoffs start that's the part of the game that shows up the most. Players with size and shutdown abilities tend to dominate the playoffs while guys like Gudreau and point and Marner all have a harder time getting on the scoresheet. I think that's a big part why we added Chiarot also the fact that we have a better balance on each pairing. One guy who skates and moves the puck well and another guy to hang back and shut down opposing opportunities. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  I agree with the notion that physicality is still important especially in the play-offs . I was referring to the fighting aspect which now has a lesser role but it's  "presence" still needs to be there . We have a smallish group with a ton of speed and Caulfield and Suzuki sure won't change that make-up down the road . Aside from Gallagher and Domi we don't have any who can go if called upon except Weber and Chiarot. That's why I think Montreal kept McCarron ...if any thing he's a deterrent to smaller players being pushed around or goaded if he's on the ice either in the AHL or NHL . We do have a grittier group than before however . Armia and Thompson have size and hit , Tatar is tough and Byron for his size plays like he is 6' tall . Danault doesn't shy away from giving a hit and KK is still growing and getting bigger and won't be flopping around like last year . One can only hope  Drouin will use his size more in this regard . There appears to be more grit coming through the prospect pipe as well without sacrificing speed . My fear is we could get worn down physically in a play-off situation unless Montreal wears the other team down first with their speed . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...